PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to France suggestions

solarman
25-04-2012, 07:56
Right,i,m planning my first trip to France at the end of May just a few days staying and not going too far.I,ve ordered all the aires,a map,beam benders,and my plan is to come off the ferry at Calais i think and just stay as close to the coast going south at a leisurely speed and i need suggetions please as to possible routes and stopovers preferably wilding if not then aires or other options and any advice at all is welcome,this trip is just to get me and the missus familiar with going over before we go again,thanks for reading,
Solarman.

grath
25-04-2012, 08:01
These should wet your appetite, however nearly all are further south

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/6948-few-french-aires.html

tugga
25-04-2012, 08:15
We are going to France in June and are going to Normandy to start with. We are both interested in the WW2 D Day landing beaches and I want to see the Bayeux Tapestry. There is a very good aire at Honfluer - but you may need mozzie repellant, depending on when you go. If you like fish, there is a good fish market at Trouville-sur-Mer, that is not far from Honfluer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3BOa_ntkY&feature=plcp&context=C4c78bcdVDvjVQa1PpcFPS-uhVss3LP_vd9bZb-q1iOUIT1Q_v4oA%3D

grath
25-04-2012, 08:19
you may need mozzie repellant, depending on when you go.

Mosquito repellent won't be required unless you go much further south.

solarman
25-04-2012, 08:20
Thanks for that Grath,have read most of that before but as you said mostly about the south and i,m staying close to ferry terminal or as far as i can get from it without having to drive long distances,will that be brittany area?
Solarman.

grath
25-04-2012, 08:26
Thanks for that Grath,have read most of that before but as you said mostly about the south and i,m staying close to ferry terminal or as far as i can get from it without having to drive long distances,will that be brittany area?
Solarman.

If you use the Dunkerque ferry, you could overnight at Grand Fort Phillipe or Gravelines, then head west and go along the coast as far as Dieppe or Rouen. There are quite a few aires on this route without going further to Brittany.
This would give you a good taster without lots of driving.

solarman
25-04-2012, 08:27
I will be driving at leisurely pace and looking for a first stop so missus can relax for longer then maybe drive a bit further and so on depends on how much time we have probably about 3 days,also staying as close to supermakets and coast so i can try a bit of sea fishing if that helps.Missus needs the internet so if can get strong signals for her laptop that would be a bonus and save her from annoying me.

grath
25-04-2012, 08:30
I will be driving at leisurely pace and looking for a first stop so missus can relax for longer then maybe drive a bit further and so on depends on how much time we have probably about 3 days,also staying as close to supermakets and coast so i can try a bit of sea fishing if that helps.Missus needs the internet so if can get strong signals for her laptop that would be a bonus and save her from annoying me.
I certainly would not go as far as Brittany with only 3 days. I think what I suggested above could possibly be too far, if you want to see the places properly:boat:

solarman
25-04-2012, 08:31
If you use the Dunkerque ferry, you could overnight at Grand Fort Phillipe or Gravelines, then head west and go along the coast as far as Dieppe or Rouen. There are quite a few aires on this route without going further to Brittany.
This would give you a good taster without lots of driving.
Yes that sounds like a plan ,will have a look on the map see if it suits us,where does the ferry sail from,i,m driving from manchester so which portwould be ideal for that ferry crossing?

grath
25-04-2012, 08:36
Yes that sounds like a plan ,will have a look on the map see if it suits us,where does the ferry sail from,i,m driving from manchester so which portwould be ideal for that ferry crossing?

Dover/Dunkerque or Dover Calais
If you go onto DFDS web site you should find some cheap crossings. Have a good look around and on different days if you can be flexible.

Ferries to France, Amsterdam & Denmark - DFDS Seaways (http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/)

solarman
25-04-2012, 08:40
Dover/Dunkerque or Dover Calais
If you go onto DFDS web site you should find some cheap crossings. Have a good look around and on different days if you can be flexible.

Ferries to France, Amsterdam & Denmark - DFDS Seaways (http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/)
Thanks again,you have been very helpful Grath,i will have a look at that site.

grath
25-04-2012, 08:45
Thanks again,you have been very helpful Grath,i will have a look at that site.

Thank You, I try:boat:
Most people (Brits) go to Gravelines, we prefer Grand Fort Phillipe as a little more French and a nicer view.
Also if you like, there is a take a way on the parking area,(a white shed type) it opens about at about 7pm and always has a queue with cooked to order.
Good food and huge portions for a take a way.

grath
25-04-2012, 08:50
Grand Fort Phillipe

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_5463.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_5465.jpg

Gravelines

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4610.jpg

solarman
25-04-2012, 08:56
Looks nice,is that on aire?

grath
25-04-2012, 08:59
Well, sort of but no facilities.
It is a designated overnight parking area for M/Hs, but no water or dump. No other M/H parking in the immediate area.
Gravelines is the same, but their is dump and water facilities on a near camp site. I have never been to the camp site. so can't comment.

colonel
25-04-2012, 14:41
For an alternative visit, you could turn east out of Dunkerque and visit Ypres (Leper) and then you could do the Menin Gate ceremony and "do" the world war 1 area between Leper and Paschendale. Camping available in Ypres. OK, Belgium I know, but on a short visit?

Skar
25-04-2012, 15:22
I think Gravelines would be ideal for a first time trip to France. It's only half an hour from the tunnel, the ferry terminals and from Dunkirk.

Shopping is good, there is a large market in Gravelines every Friday and at petite fort phillippe every Sunday and you can walk to a Lidl from the Aire in Gravelines. There are nice walks around the ramparts and the old fortifications. For fishing you can walk or cycle right out to where the lights are at the end of the estuary (either side) and fish from there. Internet may be difficult but you could always park up in the Super U car park and use theirs if she really needs a fix! If you need to empty then there is a purpose built borne at 50.99310, 2.13167, free to dump, 2 euros (card) if you need water.

Gravelines is not just a stopover, it can be a destination!

Have fun!

scottie58
25-04-2012, 17:57
Try the aire by the harbour in Dieppe - quiet at night, 15 mins walk to lots of great restaurants. Valery en Caux is worth a visit ( get there early to get a "prime" slot. ). Inland, Cleres is a lovely little town, the aire is free. Montville is only 6km away from Cleres, right by a lake with Bar - free. Municipal campsite in Etretat is only 3 euros more than aire which is right next door, great town, stunning walks along the coast ( think Durdle Door on steroids!). We always stay in Escalles last night before tunnel home - great views over the Channel, lots of walks

Lots and lots of choices 2 hours from Calais. Look on camping cars info website.

Enjoy!

jackslad
05-05-2012, 16:01
Hi all has anyone w/c in Briere regional natural pk. or any of the natural parks in france,or is it no no,am just researching for our first trip to france...thanks

jackslad
03-07-2012, 10:06
I can answer my own question now that we have been ,brier natural pk is nice enough but not a destination we passed through on our way south,we did go through a village twinned with Ingleton Nth yorks,a few miles from where we live back home..

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS