PDA

View Full Version : electric hookup

sinner
25-04-2012, 20:33
hi guys,
What conecction do i need for electric hookup in Europe ? i have hookup for here but i gather its a diff conection?

cheers

Alan & Kid

novice1968
25-04-2012, 20:49
[QUOTE=sinner;185607]hi guys,
What conecction do i need for electric hookup in Europe ? i have hookup for here but i gather its a diff conection?

cheers

Adaptor leads (http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/230v_Plugs_and_sockets/Adaptor_leads.aspx)

Northerner
25-04-2012, 22:30
You need one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Continental-Adaptor-Caravan-Electric/dp/B0029OIVQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335392888&sr=8-2

Many continental sites now use the same socket as found on UK sites. Those that don't are two pin sockets and the short lead above will convert your existing one to the two-pin version.

sinner
25-04-2012, 23:04
Many thanks guys :-))

GeoffB
26-04-2012, 08:42
Have heard there can be troubles with reverse polarity, which I think means some French power-points being wired up wrongly (electricity is a closed book to me so I'm just repeating what I've heard!) and that you need a special indicator plug to show this. But I'm not sure if it is actually dangerous - can any expert help please?

John H
26-04-2012, 09:13
You need one of these Kampa Mains Continental Adaptor Lead for Caravan Electric Hook Up: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Continental-Adaptor-Caravan-Electric/dp/B0029OIVQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335392888&sr=8-2)

Many continental sites now use the same socket as found on UK sites. Those that don't are two pin sockets and the short lead above will convert your existing one to the two-pin version.

I'm no expert on things electric but isn't that lead the wrong way round? It looks to me as if it is designed to convert a two pin connecter to a three pin one.

fishy & Nina
26-04-2012, 10:44
Without getting too techinical - if the polarity is reversed it could be dangerous to anyone who touches an implement when they think it is switched off!
You can purchase reverse polarity indicators - just plug one in and it will show you (some newer vans come with these already installed in the circuitry - Sargeant for example).
We always carry two sets of leads - one as standard and the other with the internal wiring changed over so that we can use as necessary. the leads are not very expensive, especially when the consequences of getting it wrong could be nasty!
If you used to changing a plug then this excerise should be no problem. Any doubts ask someone who know to do it.
Having said all that, I can't remember the last time we needed to use ours - not that we hook up very much!

Hope that this helps
ian

Somelier
26-04-2012, 10:58
Have a look here: http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/kevshop.html

snowbirds
26-04-2012, 11:17
Hi Sinner

All good camping shops will advise you on the two pin adapter, I also use a tester that looks like a three pin household plug with lights to show any reverse in the plug in on sites.This was very useful while traveling in Europe but on a site in Italy it had a UK three pin that was wrong so I bought another adapter to fit a two pin straight in to the supply post, the red and blue were reversed and I was unable to use the UK fitting directly from the van. A lot of the supply posts we used in the UK AND abroad were wrong .My total cost for the leads and testers was about 25,cheaper than the damage you may do to the van electrics or the other half.:D

Regards Snowbirds.

hi guys,

cheers

Alan & Kid

shortcircuit
26-04-2012, 12:21
In a healthy circuit reverse polarity is of no danger under normal use. If however you wish to tamper with the electrics then you put yourself at risk unless you disconnect from EHU. Reverse leads and testers are just a waste of money.

sinner
26-04-2012, 22:15
thanks for all the info and replys guys ;)) just thought i would get a lead for the just incase time :))

cheers

Alan & Kid

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS