PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Mull...water etc

sagart
05-07-2007, 11:48
On Mull in a couple of weeks with van not car as before.
Any advice on where I can get water and empty the essential loo?

autosleeper
05-07-2007, 14:58

I am not sure about toilet emptying facilties, but water can be obtained at Calgary bay, wild camping site, also at Robsons garage in Tobermory.
We have also stayed overnight in the car park at Tobermory.

There is an official site at Salen, where you could possibly empty your loo.
Good luck for the weather, it is a beautiful place.

If you can get hold of a July copy of MMM the Stotherts have done a write up on Mull. well worth the read. & the photos as usual are tremendous

05-07-2007, 15:43
When we are wilding in the UK, we empty our toilet in any public convenience.:D

sagart
05-07-2007, 18:28
When we are wilding in the UK, we empty our toilet in any public convenience.:D
Please do not take this as a criticism of your technique, but in Scotland even the most motorhome/wildcamping friendly local authority (Western Isles) in their free handout "Welcome to the Uists & Barra" say to "touring caravan and campervan owners".

"Please do not use WC's for disposal of portable toilet contents. This results in hygiene problems and blocked drains. Specially designed facilities are provided at...."

Difficulty here is that many public toilets in remote areas are either linked to septic tank systems, or to overstretched sewage systems.
I assumed, maybe naively that Mull might have an official dump area.

sagart
05-07-2007, 18:29
I am not sure about toilet emptying facilties, but water can be obtained at Calgary bay, wild camping site, also at Robsons garage in Tobermory.
We have also stayed overnight in the car park at Tobermory.

There is an official site at Salen, where you could possibly empty your loo.
Good luck for the weather, it is a beautiful place.

If you can get hold of a July copy of MMM the Stotherts have done a write up on Mull. well worth the read. & the photos as usual are tremendous
My gratitude for your advice...will look for MMM in Portree tomorrow

05-07-2007, 18:51
Please do not take this as a criticism of your technique, but in Scotland even the most motorhome/wildcamping friendly local authority (Western Isles) in their free handout "Welcome to the Uists & Barra" say to "touring caravan and campervan owners".

"Please do not use WC's for disposal of portable toilet contents. This results in hygiene problems and blocked drains. Specially designed facilities are provided at...."

Difficulty here is that many public toilets in remote areas are either linked to septic tank systems, or to overstretched sewage systems.
I assumed, maybe naively that Mull might have an official dump area.
Hi Sagart.
I have never seen any of these special places to empty the loo except in main land Europe.
Maybe in Scotland but I have never been with M/H there.
I frequent Wales and I have used the toilets as previously stated.
What else can we do?
I must admit that I never thought it was a problem!
regards Graham

sagart
05-07-2007, 19:09
You see now why I assumed there must be an official dumping point...up here on the islands we rather take them for granted!

05-07-2007, 19:16
You see now why I assumed there must be an official dumping point...up here on the islands we rather take them for granted!
Without been crude, it depends what is in your toilet, but if you empty it a bit at a time and flush it in between times, there should not be a problem!
That is what I do and I think I am been responsible as a lot better than in a ditch or behind a farmers hedge or gate:eek: :eek:
Edit!!!
What a subject!!!!!he he he he!

christine
12-07-2007, 14:52
There are public toilets and an outside tap at Bunessan. There is a car park opposite with recycling facilities.

sagart
12-07-2007, 16:48
Gratitude! All is coming together....

christine
13-07-2007, 08:42
If you are intrested, I have written about our stay on Mull:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/

Don't tell everyone, though....!!!!!!;) ;) ;) ;)

sagart
11-08-2007, 11:12
water can be obtained at Calgary bay, wild camping site, also at Robsons garage in Tobermory.

Couple of points having just come back from Mull.
Problems at the Tobermory garage, MacKay’s Garage in Tobermory, because too many motorhome owners this year have just blocked his pumps....walked without permission into the workshop entrance....picked up the water hose...filled up and drive off - he deserves more courtesy or the priviledge will be removed.
Calgary's wild camping site....tap water is considered unsafe to drink even if boiled and the locals are concerned about upstream pollution affecting those who take water from the stream.
The "upper" carpark is fine for those with full facilities on board, if you park sensibly and only one elderly lady will lecture you. No tents, even children's play tents, within the wired off machair area.
The Calgary Hotel allowed me to fill up my onboard tank, though this was after I had paid for a meal for my wife and myself (might be a useful technique).

Additional point. Uisken beach near Bunessan. The official carpark does not now allow overnight, but the owner of Uisken croft permits use of the area at the back of the beach for 1 per person per night (price as of 6/8/2007)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS