PDA

View Full Version : Bolton le Sands - POI update

whitevanwoman
01-05-2012, 12:58
This is on the POI and I stayed here recently and can recommend it - I was the only vehicle there overnight (didn't get there till about 11pm), it was quiet. The car park facing the bay along the road is on a slight incline so as I haven't got levellers, I parked closer to the houses on a flatter piece of ground at the end of the car park, facing along the road instead of at right angles to it. I had a cracking nights sleep but on waking up, it sounded like the world and his wife were walking past the van, and it turned out I'd parked 6 foot away from a dog poo bin and between 8am and 11am, every single dog owner in the village walks their dogs 6 foot away from where I was parked! But there were no problems, and I sat and enjoyed the view across the bay with a coffee saying hello to everyone (as did the dog).

Another great POI for wild camping dogs - the beach is 10 foot away, and you can turn right and walk across the sands to the village or turn left and walk along the stony beach along the headland.

Link to photos - Bolton le Sands pics are at the end of the album http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww45/whitevanwoman-photos/Seaside%20adventure%20April%202012/

wints
01-05-2012, 15:06
Nice spot. We've walked along here to the Red Bank cafe & camp site. Seen a few vans stop here.
regards
Allen

Old_Arthur
01-05-2012, 16:23
stopped here years ago nice and deserted when the dog walkers go home, also seem to remember another place near there with a big disused MOD camp along the coast line just tried to find it on google but failed, maybe imagined it was near there :scared: old timers thingy again :lol-053:

kimbowbill
01-05-2012, 16:31
Great pics Jess, thanks for sharing, love the one with rigg and his frisby, thats r8 cool

Rubbertramp
01-05-2012, 16:33
The Morecambe Bay guided walks start from just down the road at Hest Bank (parking here too)...a fantastic experience if you get the chance.

Morecambe Bay Walks Directory 2012 | Your Guide 2 the Lake District (http://www.yourguide2thelakedistrict.co.uk/morecambe-bay-walks-c1042.html)

sean rua
01-05-2012, 17:17
Excellent stuff, wvw!
I think it's notable that nobody seems to bat an eyelid at all the turbines on the Lancashire coast. Perhaps the people around there just get on with life.

sean rua.

Croftland1
01-05-2012, 18:16
No turbines visible from BLS.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to our village Jess. There's lots more for you to explore next time too, like the picturesque section of the Lancaster Canal that runs through the village and the managed woodland beyond. The village has three good pubs aswell as an Indian restaurant and two Chinese restaurants. There's a great chippy and all the other shops you might need too.
The beach is popular with horse riders and power kiters, so on a low tide there is usually some activity on the go.
I park our van in that exact same spot when I'm kite buggying on the sands and have often thought it would be a good spot for a visiting wildcamper. It's just a shame it's so close to Redbank Farm campsite as you may be suspected of using their facilities for free. For anyone who wanted to use the site though, I think it's only about £6pppn.

Jim

wints
01-05-2012, 20:36
No turbines visible from BLS.

It's just a shame it's so close to Redbank Farm campsite as you may be suspected of using their facilities for free. For anyone who wanted to use the site though, I think it's only about £6pppn.

Jim

Lots of turbines visible from Red bank, Carnforth, Morecambe, etc all along Morecambe Bay when looking out to the west towards Barrow & Walney. If you can't see them from Bolton-le-Sands I'd be amazed.
And that campsite is too expensive.
You're right about the canal, we've walked / cycled it between Lancaster & Carnforth may times. Love the area.

regards
Allen

Holasuki
01-05-2012, 20:49
Some lovely photos in your album WVW.
Visited the area many times in my 'youth', it's amazing how the skyline has shifted and changed.
Just like the sands.
Just like my moods and enthusiasms.

I don't know where I'm going with this so I'm going to shut up now.

¡Adios!
:yeahthat:

Croftland1
02-05-2012, 07:40
Lots of turbines visible from Red bank, Carnforth, Morecambe, etc all along Morecambe Bay when looking out to the west towards Barrow & Walney. If you can't see them from Bolton-le-Sands I'd be amazed.

My windows look due west over the bay and I can't see any. Must need to go to Specsavers :lol-053:

And that campsite is too expensive.

For Jess on her own to stay on the site, fill with water, empty waste, have as many hot showers as she chooses, I don't think £6 is at all expensive. It only becomes uneconomical in my view when there are more people on board.

Jim

kimbowbill
02-05-2012, 07:45
This is great value for money, think i might pay a visit.

Croftland, you mentioned some good pubs in the village, do you think any of them would allow a meet there/ i think this looks a good location for the June or July meet, could you post me some info, i have looked on google and can only see one pub

Jen

Croftland1
02-05-2012, 08:14
This is great value for money, think i might pay a visit.

Croftland, you mentioned some good pubs in the village, do you think any of them would allow a meet there/ i think this looks a good location for the June or July meet, could you post me some info, i have looked on google and can only see one pub

Jen

Hi Jen,
The only pub that would have room on the car park to accommodate a number of vans would be the Royal Hotel on Main Road (A6) close to the junction with Mill Lane. The car park is on the opposite side of the A6 to the hotel (possibly a bit close to the road tbh.) It is owned by Mitchells, a brewery company based in Lancaster.
The other pubs in the village are The Blue Anchor and The Packet Boat, both further south on Main Road, in the centre of the village. The Royal is on the West bank of the canal, whilst the other two are on the East bank.
Hope this helps.
Jim

kimbowbill
02-05-2012, 08:27
Yeah thats great Jim, thanks, i will look on google,

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS