PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in Regression

MORGANTHEMOON
05-05-2012, 19:25
This is controversial subject but do you believe in life after death?

Hinduism and Buddhism are religions of second chances (and third and fourth and ). After you die, your soul is reborn to correct your past mistakes.This isn't necessarily so in Christianity, where the prevailing belief is you get one shot at life and then after death you're sent to either eternal paradise or the fires of hell.

It's no wonder then that the idea of past lives has captured the imagination of Western culture, particularly as Westerners have begun to move away from devout Christianity and embrace a mixture of different beliefs. In fact, a study conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life revealed that nearly 25 percent of Americans believe in reincarnation -- this in addition to the billion Hindus and half a billion Buddhists around the world.

I personally having read so many accounts of past lives find it hard not to believe it.

But what do you think?

kernowprickles
05-05-2012, 19:33
I'd like to think that it is true, and we come back to learn from our past mistakes, and meet up with former friends and family. I loved Anya Seton's book, Green Darkness, which has this kind of theme.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any real past memories, but would love to try regression. I can be hypnotised quite easily, anyone offering?? And no, I don't think I was Cleopatra in a former life, although I do have the odd flash of being a Wren in WW2, and a kind of conviction that I committed suicide by gassing myself.....!!!

(Oh dear, sounds as if i have been at the magic mushroom scones again!! :banana::banana:))

MORGANTHEMOON
05-05-2012, 19:36
I'd like to think that it is true, and we come back to learn from our past mistakes, and meet up with former friends and family. I loved Anya Seton's book, Green Darkness, which has this kind of theme.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any real past memories, but would love to try regression. I can be hypnotised quite easily, anyone offering?? And no, I don't think I was Cleopatra in a former life, although I do have the odd flash of being a Wren in WW2, and a kind of conviction that I committed suicide by gassing myself.....!!!

Are you serious about the gassing prickles?

fairytooth
05-05-2012, 19:49
Hate to be a party pooper but I don't believe in either a pre life or an after life.

You are born, live, then die. End of story. Sorry folks there is no evidence that anything else occurs - much as we might wish it to be otherwise.

And anyway, if that's what you happen believe - that there is more to make of it, that's great for you. Why not? It might make this current 'real' life more bearable for some. Just as long as you don't waste the real life in the hope of a possibly better imaginary one. (suicide bombers,etc. take note! LOL)

kernowprickles
05-05-2012, 19:51
Yes, absolutely! I have this vision of an old gas fire, with a hearth rug in front of it, and being really heartbroken, I think I have blonde hair which I wear in a french pleat, and the wren's hat I wear is an officers one with a blue badge on it......!

Used to be very into all this back in the 70's, belonged to a small coven as well, and we met for the festivals. Got the Thoth tarot pack around somewhere, but crystal ball long gone - never got on with that, just sent me to sleep!! Did a bit of Astrology as well.

Makzine
05-05-2012, 21:04
Oh course we've lived before how the hell did I get here otherwise :angel: As a practicing pagan I belive that all things have a soul and it is the soul that carries on from the one life to the other. All people think different things and that is my belief make of it what you will:idea-007:.

jamesmarshall
05-05-2012, 22:49
Its a personal thing and I'm with Shakespeare on this one

"............as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

If you consider that the wealth of all human knowledge is as nothing compared to what we have yet to learn and understand then argument is pointless. We have brains that weigh pounds but can hold infinity. We live internally as well as externally and there must be room in there for a little spirituality, however you wish to interpret it.

Now! Where's that whiskey?

Firefox
05-05-2012, 23:41
I'm not a believer in any of it. Good luck to those who do though!

There's two reasons why talk and belief in this should be logically prevalent.

1. The desire of religion and the state to control people. If you promise a good life in the next incarnation, it's easier to get them to do what you want now.

2. People's inbuilt desire to believe that they are somehow special and death is not the end.

Number 2 makes it easier for the state and religions to make progress with number 1.

So, you may read and hear a lot about this, but there's a reason for that. The stories don't have to be true just because you read them!

Haaamster
06-05-2012, 05:04
My own theory is that we are actually living in the matrix and when we die our souls are transported into ants which are not really tiny insects but miniature robots working together in the way the world should work.
The queen is the creator of our matrix which is why she is so important, other colonies of ants are from a separate matrix that we must fight to keep our world alive so remember next time you step on an ant you could be squashing your great granny. :)

donkey too
06-05-2012, 05:05
since reading Chariots of the gods some years ago. and everything else that Erich von Daniken has written. I do Not believe that there are any gods at all. E von Daniken offers the most logical and sensible answer to all this. It is in the least eye opening and provotes thought.
Although I would never try to convince anyone of my beliefs. I do urge everyone to at least read what he has written with an open mind and look at the evidence for his statements.
Even if you are a so called comitted Christian or otherwise. Daniken is worth reading. For after all said and done. How can anyone make a committment to anything without looking at All the evidence?

Deleted user 21925
06-05-2012, 07:39
I was a sceptic but since visiting a medium who told me things that only I could know I really now believe that there is something else although I havn't a clue what it may be. There was no trickery involved, I went in, told him that I was only going to listen and not speak until he had finished, so he could get no clues from me.

jamesmarshall
06-05-2012, 08:03
My own theory is that we are actually living in the matrix and when we die our souls are transported into ants which are not really tiny insects but miniature robots working together in the way the world should work.
The queen is the creator of our matrix which is why she is so important, other colonies of ants are from a separate matrix that we must fight to keep our world alive so remember next time you step on an ant you could be squashing your great granny. :)

Its as good a belief as any one else's:)

channa
06-05-2012, 08:26
Interestingly the 1955 hypnosis act makes it illegal to induce regression in a stage act or anything if a lewd nature.
Naturally regression isn't lewd, i have read quite a bit about Milton Ericksons work and oine has to consider the Influence of suggestibility. Under hypnosis
Channa

Kontiki
06-05-2012, 08:41
My view is this is it, you are born you die. Nothing before nothing after so make the best of it.

I always try to respect other peoples views & if religion or beliefs help them then good for them. As for if there is a god/gods etc. then which one is the true one or are they all the same :confused: Don't really like people who try to preach or convert me to their view.

Reminds me when we were wild camping in Portugal near to Baleal / Peniche, nice sunny day watching the surfers. We were having lunch in the van when 2 young girls (one Scottish & the other Portuguese) came to the van, they were very friendly & I'm always willing to be civil. After a bit of small talk they got down to religion (only Jehovah's :sleep-040:) in the end they left their propaganda mags (hadn't had much read in English for a while) Tried to read through it with an open mind but I'm afraid it was complete rubbish as far as I could see.

As long as your religion/belief doesn't harm or interfere with anybody else then ok, I bet though more wars/deaths/injustice is caused by religious beliefs than all the non believers atheists ever cause.

herbenny
06-05-2012, 08:44
As you know I am a firm believer of the afterlife and I have a strong spiritual faith. However I sit on the fence with this only because of my own experience with it six years ago. Once a person becomes so deep state of relaxtion the imagination becomes very powerful tool indeed and what this particualr person did was to encourage me to build a picture on this so called memory. I must admit listening to the recording afterwards I was suprised with the findings but I still am still not sure so I will still remain on the fence with this.

Many lives many masters is a good book on past lives

However the documentary broadcasted many years ago about a young boy who talked of his previous life constantly to his Mum and named names and places Extraordinary people - The boy who lived before Pt4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yDx4fyeXQ) I did find this very convincing !!

snowbirds
06-05-2012, 08:52
Hi all

Sunday Morning, nice cup of tea and the papers,then log on to Wild Camping:scared:Thinks do i have to bring a tambourine and a white sheet to the next meet at Stone Henge meet, with Phil as Chief Druid :idea-007:
As for my religion, wait to the last few days and go on to Go compare, for the best deal.:idea-007:

Snowbirds.

This is controversial subject but do you believe in life after death?

Hinduism and Buddhism are religions of second chances (and third and fourth and ). After you die, your soul is reborn to correct your past mistakes.This isn't necessarily so in Christianity, where the prevailing belief is you get one shot at life and then after death you're sent to either eternal paradise or the fires of hell.

It's no wonder then that the idea of past lives has captured the imagination of Western culture, particularly as Westerners have begun to move away from devout Christianity and embrace a mixture of different beliefs. In fact, a study conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life revealed that nearly 25 percent of Americans believe in reincarnation -- this in addition to the billion Hindus and half a billion Buddhists around the world.

I personally having read so many accounts of past lives find it hard not to believe it.

But what do you think?

Haaamster
06-05-2012, 10:42
Its as good a belief as any one else's:)

Well I think it must be true because I have lots of ants and uncles that told me it is.
Anty Anthea, Anty Antoinette,Anty Antonia, Uncle Anthony, Uncle Antoin and cousin Bob have all said it's true, but I think Bob is just joining in really.

al n sal
06-05-2012, 10:46
I'm sat firmly on the fence on this one...however, i do think that just because you cant see something doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

Haaamster
06-05-2012, 10:49
I'm sat firmly on the fence on this one...however, i do think that just because you cant see something doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

Well I hope that fence exists Al'n'Sal otherwise you're in for a sore bottom :)

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 19:36
Herbenny,
Just read the book you suggested. Many lives, Many masters.
Wow!
A real eye opener.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it has really made me think.
My grandmother was a spiritualist and I really feel I want to learn more.
I am really interested in regression more so after reading the book.

I'm also still reading the book you loaned me, at first I found it a little heavy but the case stories are fascinating.

Perhaps we can discuss it at the Wales meet.

herbenny
05-08-2012, 19:43
Herbenny,
Just read the book you suggested. Many lives, Many masters.
Wow!
A real eye opener.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it has really made me think.
My grandmother was a spiritualist and I really feel I want to learn more.
I am really interested in regression more so after reading the book.

I'm also still reading the book you loaned me, at first I found it a little heavy but the case stories are fascinating.

Perhaps we can discuss it at the Wales meet.

Glad you enjoyed the books MTM....there is a fantastic book by Betty J Eadie called 'Embraced by the light'.......

caspar
05-08-2012, 20:37
I find the whole of this area fascinating. My wife believes firmly in spirtualists, but I remain sceptical. Hovewever, some very strange and inexplicable events have happened recently which have made me take a new look at the whole of this area.

Has anyone else here read the book The Spirit Molecule which talks about a gland in the brain called the Pineal gland, about which little is known, but the little that is known provides some fascinating and very compelling, thought provoking evidence of there being something after this life? Heavy going, but an excellent read.

What that something is is to my mind up for debate. However, I would never assume I had the capacity to make a conclusive statement on the subject. So much in this life and world in which we live is literally beyond belief, I see no reason not to treat this subject in the same way. I know what I like to believe, but what I definitely believe is that whether or not there is an afterlife or reincarnation, treating others as we like to be treated with courtesy and good manner certainly makes the here and now much more pleasant.

Bigpeetee
05-08-2012, 20:40
Life after death? There's a lot of people who should try "life" while they're living!!

Me? I take snippets of other beliefs and run MY life in the way I want to.

There are similarities to parts of other religions, but at the time the ticker stops, it's like information being saved on RAM, take away the power and it's gone forever.

herbenny
05-08-2012, 20:50
I partly agree dont believe in any 'religion' but believe wholeheartedly in life after death......I follow my own spiritual faith however I practice Sufism meditation. I was raised a catholic but as a child wanted to be a christian, and I am more and more intrigued by the buddhism....I will take what I need from all and make my own way ...

Bushtrekker
05-08-2012, 20:54
... but don't want to come back as a tin of condensed milk:)

When I was younger I did a lot of research into this sort of thing, partly because I had two very distinct recurring dreams. In the first I was an archer, but shooting into the air, exactly as a medieval archer would as part of an arrow storm. In the other I was in one of those large Georgian houses you see in films like 'Gone With the Wind.' As I said in another thread I'm a dowser, so I know there are forces which don't conform to known physical rules, suggesting the possibility of unknown forces similar to electricity or radio waves. Houdini said he would come back and communicate if there was life after death, but we're still waiting...

Having said that death is illogical. Like many people on here I'm in the last stage of life and have spent a lifetime learning, acquiring skills and knowledge which will be of use not just to me, but to help others, so to me it's illogical that all that goes when you die.

rach82
05-08-2012, 21:32
I dont think I believe in life before or after death - I dont think I believe in Jesus or God or in fact anything - I dont really think about it. I go to church almost every week (as a wedding videographer!!) I am not married or ever wish to be married (not in a church anyway!!)

I am not an athiest maybe a agnostic?

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 21:51
Just to sum up the book.
The author Dr Brian Weiss was a non believer in regression until a young lady came to him for help because she had many problems in her life and suffered from many fears and anxieties.
He tried the normal psychiatric treatments but they would not work so he decided to try hypnotism.
During the first hypnotism she accidently regressed and he was shocked and it changed his beliefs, his life and the patients life.
She was completely cured through a series of regressions.
It's the sort of book you need to read with an open mind and I would recomend it.
Quite fascinating.
Anyone coming to the Wales meet is welcome to borrow it.

scampa
06-08-2012, 04:00

Hmm.... I'd say that it's more likely to be your Great Ant?? :)

The author Dr Brian Weiss was a non believer in regression until a young lady came to him for help because she had many problems in her life and suffered from many fears and anxieties.
He tried the normal psychiatric treatments but they would not work so he decided to try hypnotism.
During the first hypnotism she accidently regressed and he was shocked and it changed his beliefs, his life and the patients life.
She was completely cured through a series of regressions.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know all the details of the case, but there's another possibility that might satisfy those who like to have a so-called "logical" explanation for things.

We all know that a lot of peoples' unexplained fears and anxieties are due to (often long-forgotten) events in their infancy or childhood. It doesn't always have to be a genuinely traumatic event that actually occurred, but an ordinary, everyday event that a very young mind could wrongly interpret as truly horrendous and terrifying. Very often these can account for the number of irrational phobias suffered by adults. Anything from the fear of moths, spiders, or certain animals, to an excessive fear of water, thunderstorms etc etc can be due to childhood experiences that an average adult mind wouldn't normally get so upset over.

Even an experienced psychologist or hypnotherapist may find it difficult to treat, because the original event that caused the fear may have been almost automatically buried so deeply in the childs subconscious mind, in order for them to avoid facing it again.

It's quite possible that when the person "regressed" (into a previous existence?), they were using the same principle as those people who have an "imaginary friend". In this way, it's as if the traumatic events in their childhood actually happened to someone else, and it protects them from having to face these painful memories directly. As far as I know, this is one of a variety of ways that a therapist can use the "third-person" technique to access a clients' subconscious mind, or for the client to unwittingly create the illusion themselves.

Obviously this possibility may only account for some cases of regression. Other "logical" explanations include some cases where a very imaginative mind might "invent" a past life, or alter-ego, as an alternative to an otherwise dull or unhappy life, and very often they genuinely come to believe that it's true.

It could be argued that because we often inherit some physical and psychological characteristics from our family ancestors (sometimes only reappearing after a gap of several generations), then why couldn't we also inherit some of their memories or emotions in some way that we don't yet understand? But even that would only account for any "regression" to an actual family ancestor, and not to some totally unrelated character from history.

Very strange if you ask me, but definitely one for the campfire!! :confused:

And here's a thought.... If regression is genuine, then there is a chance that someone in the future may well be regressed and become us. So be very careful what you do and think during this lifetime, because all of your lifes' secrets may be exposed on some future therapists' couch!! :scared:

Bushtrekker
06-08-2012, 05:06
There was a case on TV about a boy who had been born with marks which looked like bullet holes and as he grew up and began to talk he had a clear recollection of a previous life as a gangster who had been shot, apparently the mysterious marks corresponded with the position of the bullet holes from the autopsy report.

We all make certain assumptions about who we are, unless we belong to rich Norman families who know exactly where they come from. I was amazed when I did some work on my family tree and discovered that on my fathers side I had Dutch and German ancestors I knew nothing about, although I already knew I was in some way to related to a French nobleman who drank himself to death on my mother's side. I'm also distantly related to one of Lord Haw Haw's wives, who was my grandfather's second cousin, although I don't know which one.

I mention this because these are physical links to the past I knew nothing about. I'd always assumed that my father was a normal boring Brummie and the last thing I expected was to discover my genes came from a Civil War shepherd, a vandal king and a nailmaker, so maybe there is another link in our past, locked deep in our memory, which just occasionally breaks through into our present, as in the case of the boy mentioned above. I'm not going to get into 'Does God exist' arguments, but one thing which has always puzzled me is that behind everything there is always something else if you think about it, so infinity does exist, because nothing really ends.

Time travel would be dangerous if it was possible, because the consequences are horrific. We would all like to know the numbers for next week's lottery, but what if you knew them every week, because you could travel in time, it would very soon get boring. The other side of the concept of time travel is horrific, because of the changes that one individual could make to everything which has ever happened.

What if Hitler was killed by a sniper travelling back in time? Suddenly there would be no reason for the Second World War to have happened and what about if someone who knew, because they had travelled back for that purpose, said to Herod's soldiers 'He's over here!'? No Christian religion, no Spanish Inquisition, none of the other murders carried our in the name of religion against people who were , or thought, differently to the established church.

I've seen someone regressed and it was convincing, but during our lifetimes our heads are constantly filled with information, so is it possible that when someone is regressed they are simply replaying information blocked by their conscious mind as irrelevant?

pamick
06-08-2012, 10:05
Whatever you believe, the trick is to make the very best of whichever life you're living. :rockroll:

coolasluck
06-08-2012, 13:24
WOW What a great subject,i am not religous at all but would i suppose count myself as spiritual.
I do believe in reincarnation and have long pondered visiting someone to be regressed as it is a topic that does fascinate me.
I do firmly believe that i have lived prior to now and have many kind of images in my head of places where i have not been or cannot remember where(maybe after a night out on the tiles).:lol-053:
I have promised myself that i will look into regression before i go fulltiming and just one of those things i have just got to do.

I remember my mother was once told by a woman about her childhood and parents and history by a woman locally who was tagged the black witch.She also mentioned about a miscarriage my mum had and told her that the girl and daughter was around her all the time.
The scary thing was some days later i visited my parents to borrow a spanner to tighten the brakes on my pushbike,my mum was shocked as she told me the story of the lady whom had told her all about her past,the lady also told my mother that she had an image of a young man on a pushbike,my mum stated it could be her son,it was then that the woman told my mum to tell me to tighten up the bolts on my bike the very reason i was there that night.:scared:

I read a fantastic book called "YESTERDAYS CHILDREN" by Jenny Cockell
if you are like me and believe in reincarnation this offers more evidence then that of the existance of god.

I believe that religon is, was, and still is all about control of the masses,but we can all be spiritual in our own way without the need of worship and churches of any kind.

Sparks
06-08-2012, 14:05
Post deleted

channa
06-08-2012, 14:24
Please may I make something very clear, regression in the hypnosis state is totally unrelated to spiritualism

Bandler and grinder ....the origins of NLP offer an interesting model for those curious

All fascinating stuff
Channa

coolasluck
06-08-2012, 14:54
After some people have left this world they sometimes come back as Roger Gee.

SPOOKY,Its getting like the twilight zone:yeahthat:

scampa
06-08-2012, 17:07
Please may I make something very clear, regression in the hypnosis state is totally unrelated to spiritualism

Bandler and grinder ....the origins of NLP offer an interesting model for those curious

All fascinating stuff
Channa

Very true Channa. When a hypnotist refers to "regression" in relation to therapy, it is the technique of guiding a persons' mind back to a particular point in their life, such as a traumatic event, in order to help that person "adjust" his reaction to it and therefore have a positive effect on his subsequent behaviour. As I said earlier, dealing with a phobia is good example of this, and may be one of the most common uses of it.

But the other type of "regression" where a persons' mind is taken back to a "previous life", can also be induced via hypnotism, and as far as I know, is the same condition that is referred to by spiritualism (whether or not it is a genuine or "perceived" state). There has been a growing interest (and therefore, market) in this popular kind of regression, so it can provide a regular income for both hypnotists and spiritualists.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that past-life regression is not possible (nobody could ever prove that anyway), but from a logical viewpoint, it's quite likely that in a lot of cases, these experiences are not always what they seem.

Anyone who has seen a stage hypnotist at work will know that, for example, a person can be induced to a state where he absolutely and genuinely believes he is a chicken! Even after the show, he may still retain a memory of being a chicken, however illogical he knows it to be. Various spiritual practices around the world, and throughout history, have been able to produce similar effects, and a person is left with a vague "memory" of being an animal or another person.

herbenny
06-08-2012, 18:20
I still sit on the fence with 'Regression' although I have personal experience of being so called 'Regressed'. It was a strange experience and to this day I still dont know what to make of it. For someone who I class as does not have a particular vivid imagination and who is not naturally creative my experience was how I would describe as way beyond a vivid dream, my senses were sharp and I described in a very articulate form a detailed account of three seperate memories. I had a recording of it somewhere ?? ... I have had many deja vu moments through out my life that can be triggered by a touch, smell, feeling, etc... sometimes very strongly sometimes very vague.
Like I say I am not sure what to make of it but I know with absolute certainty why at this point in my life I feel so strongly that I have come full circle which relates to one of these memories.

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 19:02
An interesting story.

Strange But True - Jenny Cockell - Yesterday's Children - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSrvbngMEc&feature=related)

snowbirds
07-08-2012, 20:06
Hi Haaamster'

A great film, better after a couple of beers.

Snowbirds.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS