PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Post new spots direct from your phone/tablet

Canalsman
11-05-2012, 13:34
Updated 31st July 2016:

If you have a smartphone or tablet, here's how you can send in a new location easily.

The best option is to use our very own Wild Camping app for Apple or Android smartphones and tablets.

Full details can be found here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-iphone-ipad-ios-wild-camping-app.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/38357-android-wild-camping-app.html

Alternatively there are apps available just for this purpose.

For Android, install the free app GPS Share. This allows you to send your current location via email.

For iPhone, install the free app Here I Am. This too allows you to send your current location via email.

For Windows phone, install the free app GPSInfo (v1.6).

If you're on the road and see a new wild camping location, all you need to do is stop briefly, if it's safe to do so, and use either of these apps to tell me about a new place.

The email address to use is poi@wildcamping.co.uk (poi@wildccamping.co.uk) ...

IMPORTANT

You MUST have GPS enabled on your phone otherwise the location that's sent may be (literally) miles out!

Smartphones are able to deduce their position based on the phone network alone, but it can be very inaccurate :(

And finally ...

You don't need a mobile broadband connection to submit a POI location using any of these methods. An email created by an app will be stored in the Outbox until such time that a connection becomes available.

Canalsman
12-05-2012, 12:05
Would someone with an iPhone like to try this out for me?

Any location will do - doesn't need to be a wilding spot ...

Just want to be able to report that the 'Here I Am' app works the way I think it will :)

If someone with an Android phone would like to try out 'GPS Share' as well, that too would be great.

Thank you!

Chris

mikeandhismotorhome
12-05-2012, 12:16
just sent from iPhone and Here I Am - my lounge not a real POI

Canalsman
12-05-2012, 12:26

Thanks Mike - will PM the location I've received to confirm it's right :)

Deleted user 21925
12-05-2012, 12:29

Oh cmon, I could park behind the sofa:lol-053:

Canalsman
12-05-2012, 12:51
That has worked well - hope this process will help everyone pinpoint new spots when they're on their travels :)

grumpyengraver
12-05-2012, 17:15
Would someone with an iPhone like to try this out for me?

Any location will do - doesn't need to be a wilding spot ...

Just want to be able to report that the 'Here I Am' app works the way I think it will :)

If someone with an Android phone would like to try out 'GPS Share' as well, that too would be great.

Thank you!

Chris

Hi, just sent you a email using my android phone and GPS Share.
Hope Iv'e done it right.

grumpyengraver

Canalsman
12-05-2012, 17:44
Hi, just sent you a email using my android phone and GPS Share.
Hope Iv'e done it right.

grumpyengraver

Thank you :)

I'll PM you the result so you can check it ...

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
13-05-2012, 21:00
It works!

Please give it a try when you're out and about :)

Thanks ...

runnach
13-05-2012, 21:06
Any chance of chucking me an I/Android phone so I can send stuff in pretty please, or a scottish made aye phone will do suffice? :lol-053:

barryd
14-05-2012, 16:45
Just sent one as a test. The first one said I was in the North Sea until I realised I had to put a - symbol for degrees West! It was also 4500 metres out. I did it again and it says its 93 metres out which on the streetview when I google co-ordinates is about right as you can see our van down the road about 93 metres away where I am if that makes sense.

I could only load the 2008 version as the latest one doesnt seem to want to run on my iPhone which is a 3G.

Great idea though but definately worth checking the accuracy before you email them off.

Canalsman
14-05-2012, 17:06
Thanks for trying it, Barry.

I will be checking all the submissions made this way for accuracy, and to complete all the necessary info.

Once an entry is made using either app, a support ticket is generated automatically, and this is then routed to me for action, and reply.

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
15-05-2012, 00:19
IMPORTANT

You MUST have GPS enabled on your phone otherwise the location that's sent may be (literally) miles out!

Smartphones are able to deduce their position based on the phone network alone, but it can be very inaccurate :(

whitevanwoman
15-05-2012, 00:35
Great idea. I wish I'd known about it this weekend, it would have saved me from having to check maps etc and then post details of some new POIs I've found!

I'll give the Android version a try.

Canalsman
15-05-2012, 12:13
You will need to have a data connection from your phone at the location, or else you may not be able to send the info via email.

Although it's probably feasible to keep the app running till you do have a connection ...

Maxda1st
15-05-2012, 15:11
Can I also send coordinates that i get otherwise to that email-adress? Which format should they have?

Maxda1st

Canalsman
15-05-2012, 16:01
Can I also send coordinates that i get otherwise to that email-adress? Which format should they have?

Maxda1st

Yes that should work - preferred format is degrees and decimal degrees e.g. 54.9944, -1.4589 :)

Canalsman
19-05-2012, 17:22
Come on now - someone must be out and about this weekend and able to post me a new location or two ... :)

Canalsman
23-05-2012, 23:29
Just had the first place logged :)

It works!

How about some more?

Ta ...

Chris

Mad Manx
04-06-2012, 20:52
now its easer ill put some isle of man ones in but they will only be little ones ie one motor only

Canalsman
04-06-2012, 23:11
now its easer ill put some isle of man ones in but they will only be little ones ie one motor only

That will be great :)

Thank you!

Regards

Chris

fairytooth
05-06-2012, 08:54
Any chance of chucking me an I/Android phone so I can send stuff in pretty please, or a scottish made aye phone will do suffice? :lol-053:

Boots are doing Eye Pads at 5 for 1 at the moment. Any good?

Canalsman
23-07-2012, 10:11
Thanks to tonybater who has pointed out that this is also possible with a Windows phone.

There's a free app called GPSInfo (v1.6), and it's available from the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Cheers, Tony :)

Tezza
19-01-2014, 17:59
Hi have just sent a Wildcamping POI through tomtom....just wondered if it worked?

POI Admin
19-01-2014, 18:12
Yes it has reached me, but the information is incomplete. This is what I received:

Have parked here 2 or 3 times now and never any problems . Hopefully this might be added. Many thanks

Here are the details of a location that I selected using TomTom App for iPad:

Ton Kenfig

View location:

Open in TomTom App for iPhone/iPad

Open in TomTom Route Planner

Open in Google Maps

Get the TomTom App now

Sent from my iPad

As you can see the links are missing ...

Tezza
19-01-2014, 18:20
Ok.....lol...I will have to try another way....maybe only works if you have tomtom grrrrrrrr

Tezza
19-01-2014, 18:25
Ahhhhh.....I just sent it to myself and the links are in blue...I clicked on the google earth one and it showed exactly where I was and the lat and long....is that any good to you? Or does it need to be another way. Sorry for being so stupid lol

POI Admin
19-01-2014, 18:43
The links don't make it through the ticketing system at Wild Camping for some reason ...

I will ask Phil to take a look.

Tezza
19-01-2014, 18:45
The links don't make it through the ticketing system at Wild Camping for some reason ...

I will ask Phil to take a look.
Okey dokey....just downloaded here I am and sent them via that app now lol

POI Admin
19-01-2014, 18:52
Okey dokey....just downloaded here I am and sent them via that app now lol

That worked :D

Added to the POIs - thanks ...

POI Admin
03-06-2014, 13:35
Just a reminder, or advice for newer members, this thread tells you how you can submit new locations easily whilst on your travels this Summer ...

Thank you :D

snowbirds
03-06-2014, 15:21
I'M still trying to get POI on my Pro-Nav after three years :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: Maybe the pilot light has gone out:nothingtoadd:

Snowbirds.

philgb
04-06-2014, 14:14
Downloaded GPS share to my android phone and attempted to send a link to poi@wildcamping.co.uk of a stopover location in Winsford Cheshire, handy for Oulton Park racing circuit,
Did it work?

runnach
04-06-2014, 18:24
Boots are doing Eye Pads at 5 for 1 at the moment. Any good?

Oops, just saw this, injured me eye when a lad, wore an eye pad, I tried getting into pictures for half price, they weren't having any of this :lol-061:

iampatman
04-06-2014, 18:36
There are three Here I Am apps on the apple store. Two to pay for and one free. Which app is it you would prefer!
Pat

POI Admin
04-06-2014, 19:37
Downloaded GPS share to my android phone and attempted to send a link to poi@wildcamping.co.uk of a stopover location in Winsford Cheshire, handy for Oulton Park racing circuit,
Did it work?

Yes - it has been added to the Wild Camp POIs, and I have replied to you by email :D

POI Admin
04-06-2014, 19:41
Your test was received by me, and acknowledged by email.

My Android phone will continue to try sending emails using Gmail until it has a connection, be it 3g or wi-fi. So it shouldn't be a problem to use this approach.

MikeH
05-06-2014, 17:14
I`ve added this feature to Tog-Along+ for the new version. Testing it just now, hope you got my message ok :)

Thanks for your reply Chris. Is there a preferred format for submitting POIs?

POI Admin
05-06-2014, 18:07
I`ve added this feature to Tog-Along+ for the new version. Testing it just now, hope you got my message ok :)

Thanks for your reply Chris. Is there a preferred format for submitting POIs?

That will be useful, Mike.

The least ambiguous latitude/longitude format has to be degrees and decimal degrees ... e.g. 99.99999

MikeH
05-06-2014, 18:27
I`ve made it so you can send by whatever method you choose e.g. email, text, WhatsApp etc

At the moment, the format is:

Name: This place
Details: Right here
Lat: 53.xxxxx.....
Lon: -2.xxx.....
Map: http://www.Google map link

Tog-Along+ Manage your photos, places, people and lots more!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tog.along.plus

Is that enough or is there anything you`d like me to add/remove? The message is editable before its sent anyway.

POI Admin
05-06-2014, 18:31
That looks fine to me Mike.

Is email the default option, because that will mimic the apps out there at present?

MikeH
05-06-2014, 18:39
Email is just a tap away.

You type in a name, some details then choose how to send:

These are the options I have, most people will at least have email.

Frances
07-06-2014, 09:01
Just seen this post so have now installed the app.

grahammay2
10-06-2014, 15:41
Very good app easy to use.

Just a reminder, or advice for newer members, this thread tells you how you can submit new locations easily whilst on your travels this Summer ...

Thank you :D

Bushtrekker
10-06-2014, 15:44
:):):):):)

Bulawayo Lass
27-06-2014, 20:37
Just downloaded the app but it runs constantly and will chew my battery life down so uninstalled it. Like the idea and be happy to use it if can you let me know if there is any way to stop it and only go when l want? I would consider the pro if it can be stopped from always on. Even clicking stop tracking and stop (forgotton other one) it was still tracking :sad:

POI Admin
29-06-2014, 20:07
Just downloaded the app but it runs constantly and will chew my battery life down so uninstalled it. Like the idea and be happy to use it if can you let me know if there is any way to stop it and only go when l want? I would consider the pro if it can be stopped from always on. Even clicking stop tracking and stop (forgotton other one) it was still tracking :sad:

Which app are you using? I presume it's the GPS that's left on and reducing your battery life ...

Bulawayo Lass
04-07-2014, 06:11
Sorry doing bits.. ok think l put wrong one on found another much better seems ok will see how l do wirh this one :-)

POI Admin
28-07-2014, 13:48
Bump :D

And don't forget you can do this from the Wild Camping Android app too!

jeanette
10-01-2015, 00:27
Hi sorry to ask but will they download on all Sat Navs or just tom Tom Tom Garmin Pro Nav techie novice :rolleyes2:

jagmanx
10-01-2015, 01:27
Another free app for Android (maybe others) navigation system.
Not as fully featured as TomTom etc BUT It is free.
You need to download the map of the country you are in.

Maybe good if you do not want to buy extra maps for your satnav for a 1 off visit somewhere.
Once you have downloaded a map it works without internet connection

POI Admin
10-01-2015, 13:10
Hi sorry to ask but will they download on all Sat Navs or just tom Tom Tom Garmin Pro Nav techie novice :rolleyes2:

The POI download includes files for use with Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon and Navman.

That said, many sat nav devices use the Tom Tom OV2 format, or can import Google Earth KML format files which are also provided.

What make of sat nav do you have?

jeanette
10-01-2015, 14:53
Mio Moov M410/M610 Series
If this one is no good could always buy a Garmin or Tom Tom if they are better as OH just wants to stay in England for now and Scotland:(

POI Admin
10-01-2015, 15:04
The User Manual for your device says that CSV and KML format files can be imported to create custom POIs (see page 42).

I suggest you try with the KML format first. CSV format files come in different formats and the MIO manual doesn't specify the format required.

jeanette
10-01-2015, 18:56
Thanks will check the manual and see what I can do fingers crossed might get son to do it!!!:lol-053:

jeanette
11-01-2015, 00:19
Had no manual but found a dvd in box will look at that :mad1: looked on phone for HERE I AM! and found about 100 different gps things got my head battered!! think I will leave it till tomorrow. :cry: We are looking forward to doing a bit of wild camping this year. We used to go to southerness on the beach with a few friends with motorhomes and camper vans for weekends. :) well I just hope I can sort it if not son or D/I/Ls will

POI Admin
11-01-2015, 13:00
You will probably find that the manual is on the DVD as a PDF file ...

jeanette
11-01-2015, 22:30
Sorry I have took so long to reply but still not looked at dvd will definitely do it tomorrow and will let you know what happens and once again thanks will do it if it is the last thing I do:o where's the kids when you need em!!! :pc:

jagmanx
24-01-2015, 04:39
The POI download includes files for use with Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon and Navman.

That said, many sat nav devices use the Tom Tom OV2 format, or can import Google Earth KML format files which are also provided.

What make of sat nav do you have?

Sorry for not replying earlier.
I have a TomTom sat nav with its attendant software.
I also use Google Earth (KML as you know) and Mapsme on my android. Samsung 10in Tablet

I have a easy program on my PC called TOMTOM POI editor.
It obviously does Ov2 files but you can also import from KML and export to KML (and others)

Your Multiformat POI set is excellent and I guess you have a similar "GPS interchange" facility

POI Admin
01-04-2015, 00:44
Bump ... first page updated

jeffcam
15-08-2015, 17:15
Sorry for not replying earlier.
I have a TomTom sat nav with its attendant software.
I also use Google Earth (KML as you know) and Mapsme on my android. Samsung 10in Tablet

I have a easy program on my PC called TOMTOM POI editor.
It obviously does Ov2 files but you can also import from KML and export to KML (and others)

Your Multiformat POI set is excellent and I guess you have a similar "GPS interchange" facility

Which email address can I sent POI's?

POI Admin
15-08-2015, 18:37
Which email address can I sent POI's?

poi@Wildcamping.co.UK

WellWornTraveller
22-02-2016, 14:59
Hi Canalsman
Just sent you mine

POI Admin
22-02-2016, 19:29
Hi Canalsman
Just sent you mine

Nothing received ... what did you send?

WellWornTraveller
24-02-2016, 09:35
I had hoped that I had sent my position from my phone but obviously not. Am off to France/Spain/Portugal next weekend so will try and send via the Wildcamping App on my tablet. Are you interested in just wild spots or do you want free spots as well?

Bernie

POI Admin
24-02-2016, 17:54
I had hoped that I had sent my position from my phone but obviously not. Am off to France/Spain/Portugal next weekend so will try and send via the Wildcamping App on my tablet. Are you interested in just wild spots or do you want free spots as well?

Bernie

All contributions are welcome, and please provide any additional relevant information.

You need to ensure that your phone and tablet are able to send emails. This is the means by which location information is sent.

Have a great trip :D

POI Admin
31-07-2016, 20:20
Please note the additional note about submitting a POI location when you don't have a mobile broadband connection ...

POI Admin
01-08-2016, 12:09
Thanks David.

You have reinforced the point I was making :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS