PDA

View Full Version : New Forest - Calshot

DaveC
13-07-2007, 18:57
This place is Calshot Car Park and it is free from 10pm until 6am. In saying that, the wardens hours are 9am until 6pm. We bought 2 hour ticket at 8am each time we stayed there for 1.20 (2 hours). If you don't have one he will tap the window and ask you to buy one. (Unofficially!) Can always leave early, before nine, or drive half a mile to the free parking on way out. (not very senic)
Directions - It is East of Beaulieu, head towards Fawley.Keep power station on your left, go to end of Beech Huts on right, best place to park is on left, oppisite old disused toilets. Very quiet, has fresh water, 4 station TV reception if needed. Likely to be joined by other campers.

Davec

The Wild Ones
24-06-2009, 15:25
Hi anyone ventured an overnighter here recently, looking to stay this coming w/e for a night.

JED THE SPREAD
15-07-2009, 11:12
NO LONGER USABLE.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/jedthespread/100_1236.jpg

jed

LDV Camper
23-07-2009, 21:12
Not sure if this still applies but if you drive away from the castle, past the beach huts, the road swings sharp right away from the beach and on the left for perhaps 100m is on road parking which is/was free and unrestricted.

We've slept over there many times, lured by the nearby beach and the easy access to water taps along the road. The only downside is the bus service which starts up early in the morning and races along that road at quite a speed. Early risers will not be bothered by this.

Leltel
27-09-2011, 20:09
Hi, just wondered if anyone has stopped overnight at Calshot recently? We need to be there for the evenings of 14 & 15 Oct for a cycling event that my hubby is taking part in. Don't mind paying carparking charges. Friends have said they saw Mh during the day there not long ago, but we need to overnight too!
Thanks in advance

billi
01-11-2011, 16:59
hi leltel,did you end up parking at calshot?.we wanted a nite or 2 next week.

Leltel
01-11-2011, 17:13
We ended up staying on a CL, wish we hadn't though, you can get away with it there, I emailed the council and they said no. But we went over on the Sunday for the day only and there were loads of MHs, some had stopped overnight and weren't members of the elusive camping club there!
There is plenty of off road parking past the beach huts on the way out too, on the left hand side. But if you can, park on the front, it is lovely there.

donkey too
01-11-2011, 17:36
NO LONGER USABLE.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/jedthespread/100_1236.jpg

jed

According to the notice the Max stay time and the no camping etc., are only enforceable up to October. So we can stay overnight during the out of season months??:confused:

billi
02-11-2011, 19:15
hi leltel&donkey too,thanks for the help with calshot.will try that place now.

billi
09-11-2011, 12:48
Thought we wud update.drive past huts on front,wen u get to toilets(open24/7)park across road on gravel patch.no tickets oct 31st till march 1st.no checks acording to locals and loo cleaner there once a day.we went out for the day then parked in main car park till dusk then moved over road.billi

Canalsman
09-11-2011, 13:44
Thanks for the update - most useful.

Regards

Chris

Mikey29
05-06-2012, 21:47
I just wanted to update on this as I tried to stay there on Saturday night (after a 200 mile drive and arriving at 5am!) but was dissapointed to see no overnight parking... There were a couple of vans there, one 'stealth' and one large motorhomne but I decided not to risk it knowing full well I wouldn't be awake early!

However as mentioned on the way out on the one way system there is ample free parking (though on a hill is perfectly usable if you park in the right spot) I was so tired I decided to stay here!

Is there any way of updating the POI to reflect this? I for one love the POI on my sat nav for wild camping but after a 4 hour drive it'd be nice to know the info is up to date? SOunds like after October it's OK to overnight there?

Cheers and happy camping!

Mike

Canalsman
05-06-2012, 23:37
I just wanted to update on this as I tried to stay there on Saturday night (after a 200 mile drive and arriving at 5am!) but was dissapointed to see no overnight parking... There were a couple of vans there, one 'stealth' and one large motorhomne but I decided not to risk it knowing full well I wouldn't be awake early!

However as mentioned on the way out on the one way system there is ample free parking (though on a hill is perfectly usable if you park in the right spot) I was so tired I decided to stay here!

Is there any way of updating the POI to reflect this? I for one love the POI on my sat nav for wild camping but after a 4 hour drive it'd be nice to know the info is up to date? SOunds like after October it's OK to overnight there?

Cheers and happy camping!

Mike

Hi Mike

Is this the spot where you tried to stop?

Calshot, Southampton - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/7pmdpoc)

There's some confusion as to whether this spot is prohibited from overnight parking or not ...

The information in the POI downloads is only as accurate as the feedback from those who use the spots. I can only remove unsuitable places if someone tells me ...

The south coast of England is particularly frought when it comes to finding suitable places.

The recommendation, no matter where you're headed, is to have a few spots selected before arriving, and to arrive early enough to move on if necessary.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS