PDA

View Full Version : Wild camping with 2 springer spaniels

hulio
21-05-2012, 08:06
HI folks,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Scotlands west coast in June this year and would appreciate any help we can get with wild camping sites.

Ideal places would have to suit two Springer Spaniels like forest parks, beaches, mountains etc. BeautIful scenery would be a bonus although that should be bountyful in Scotland anyway :)

Thanks in advance
jim and julie

donkey too
21-05-2012, 08:42
Love Springers. We call them 50 MPH long distance dogs. LOL
They always seem to move at 50 MPH minimum and for every half mile that you walk they do five miles. LOL

hulio
21-05-2012, 17:42
Love Springers. We call them 50 MPH long distance dogs. LOL
They always seem to move at 50 MPH minimum and for every half mile that you walk they do five miles. LOL

I walk them twice a day and i walk for about for about 4 miles so you can only guess how far they run lol

scenictraveller
21-05-2012, 17:57
how far west are you planning on travelling to.

i.e from north of glasgow to south of ullapool just a referrence.

rolandrat
21-05-2012, 18:29
Midges, Midges and more Midges. You will need to take a Bee-keepers outfit with you during summer on the west coast of scotland and your poor dogs won't be to happy either. A friend of ours owns a large guest house outside Inverness and is always full of distressed campers who have packed their gear away.

scenictraveller
21-05-2012, 19:59
buy a decent reppellant like smidge it doesnt contain DEET.

and does what it says on the tin.

another thing to do is put listirine mouth wash in a spray bottle and spray around the outside of doors and windows,
they dont like this stuff either think it effects there teeth :)

lotty
21-05-2012, 21:31
Hope you have a great time on your trip and don't get too many bites :scared:
Sorry can't help with wilding spots as have only been Scotland once and used sites but check out the forum and POI's as I belive Scotland is quite Motorhome friendly :have fun:

Holasuki
21-05-2012, 21:58
Hola hulio.
The west coast is stunning (Clashnessie is awesome, especially on a tempestuous day) but as many have said, it's a midge fest.
I eat a lot of marmite which helps keep the midges away (as does garlic) but it's always best to keep a can of strong repellant on your personage, just in case.
I've been chased, arms flailing, gob squealing, down a mountainside by huge gangs of the little darlings, all scenting my fresh, pulsating blood. Eat marmite.

Suki.

channa
21-05-2012, 22:13
Hope you have a great time on your trip and don't get too many bites :scared:
Sorry can't help with wilding spots as have only been Scotland once and used sites but check out the forum and POI's as I belive Scotland is quite Motorhome friendly :have fun:

Skin so soft I had heard of when in the west never Listerine so thanks.....

Currently in the ness...but when time allows deffo back to wester Ross.....I am smiling, my French German pointer shooting listterine down his gob...

Watch my words next year will be part of the highland games lol
Channa

scenictraveller
21-05-2012, 22:16
one tip for not attracting the midge is not to use deorents that smell like lynx etc or the female ones,oderless is the ones to use.

another tip is dont wash or bathe for a month,u will have no friends but you wont get bitten either they dont like smelly people.

also if u can help it dont breathe.

the above refference does not apply if ur under water.

hulio
22-05-2012, 07:25
how far west are you planning on travelling to.

i.e from north of glasgow to south of ullapool just a referrence.
I have no real route planned but would like to get as far as Applecross or Portree,
I am open to any suggestions for suitable areas for the dogs and would build the trip around that.

Thanks for the warnings/advice on the midges.

Brucesheena
03-06-2012, 10:22
Applecross is brilliant! We've been going there for years, with Springers, but only recently with a motorhome. The pub will let you park in their car park and there's several other places round about that you could park up. Unfortunately the big grass area at the top of the bay is discouraged because there's been hassle in the past, with fires and damage. Haven't tried the campsite but will be the week after next.

There are brilliant walks in the grounds of Applecross house and also from Sand over the hill back to Applecross. Great river too if your Springers are like ours! I.e. like a swim and get muddy.

Skye is well worth it. I'd maybe come via Glenelg! Wild camping here, and over the wee ferry at Kylerhea for a different experience. The Glenbrittle campsite is as spectacular as you can get also good one a Slighachan and Edinbane. Check the POI'S for more Wid Camping spots.

One thing, our unit is only 5.5 metres long so very manageable on the off the beaten track roads. But if you have a big one plan your routes carefully.

Have a good time!

scenictraveller
03-06-2012, 11:20
the campsite at applecross is good,they also have a tunnel garden with free wifi.
and its a short walk down the hill to the pub.

unsure if your going the old drovers road or the other route.

view from road to glenelg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/sgtpoe/30042011096.jpg

plaque for the 5 sisters
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/sgtpoe/30042011094.jpg

road to glenelg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/sgtpoe/30042011093.jpg

applecross road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0gl_pMiCm4

as said above plan ur route in advance.

ellieloy
04-06-2012, 21:43
There is not an inch of my body that doesn't have a midge bite afteraweekend in the west - so goodluck to you.

We walked out dogs in the Argyl orest this weekend - up from Honeymooners Bridge Carpark on the A83, and down into Glen Croe from Rest and be Thankful, which is on the POI's.

The west isbeautiful but do try the east sometime - less bitey bitey and loads of dog friendly walks too! :)

scenictraveller
04-06-2012, 22:09
i have advertised the use of smidge from the scottish midge forcast site im not doing this to put people off
coming up the west coast more just to be prepaed there is an altenative to skin so soft.

that does what it says on the tin.

ive used it for 2 years SMIDGE says what it does.

the only way to prove it on this forum would be to get a group of testers together willingly
to get bitten by the highland tiger.:)

i will include myself in the testing i will be using SMIDGE...

ellieloy
05-06-2012, 21:03
Thanks for this, but can I ask if its astrong smelling spray? My other problem is that Ihave allergic asthma and when I resorted to using my husbands spray on stuff in the van - I couldn't stand outside - I then couldn't breathe and I had to retreat to the shower until the air had cleared and my symptoms subsided :sad:

scenictraveller
05-06-2012, 21:10
it has the same smell as broken glass

i.e none.

as one thing the highland tiger loves is fragrance,smells.

all info is here

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/shop

hulio
22-06-2012, 07:35
Thank you for all your help I think i will take all your midge advice and leave it to later in the year to do my first trip to Scotland

SO when should i visit or do these little devils stay all year round

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 09:58
from sept they start to die off,but can still be around for a while,but not in over whelming amounts.
worst time of year may-august.

but if its windy or even a slight breeze then you get nothing.

whitevanwoman
22-06-2012, 11:56
Hola hulio.
The west coast is stunning (Clashnessie is awesome, especially on a tempestuous day) but as many have said, it's a midge fest.
I eat a lot of marmite which helps keep the midges away (as does garlic) but it's always best to keep a can of strong repellant on your personage, just in case.
I've been chased, arms flailing, gob squealing, down a mountainside by huge gangs of the little darlings, all scenting my fresh, pulsating blood. Eat marmite.

Suki.

Marmite :tongue:

Garlic :tongue:

Marmite and garlic :tongue:

The buggers love me, I'd do anything to protect myself from them :raofl:

Roger Green
22-06-2012, 18:52
Yes we agree, its what we have been doing for the last 34yrs. We just use water if you get that smelly. Roger.:lol-053:

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 20:09
if your going to go beach walking etc cover your lower extremities i.e ankles as the highland tiger likes moist areas like seaweed etc.
best practice tuck ur troosers into ur socks.

Teffy
22-06-2012, 20:30
Think those things in the seaweed are a different sort of fly. You tend to get less midges near the sea and where it's windy.

stevenm5264
22-06-2012, 21:36
use lemon deodarants and skin so soft

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:07
skin so soft never done it for me or jungle fever etc.

things on the beach are more bitie than midgees,

as there 1cm bigger and spotable.

:mad2:

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:10
think the best thing to do is go and enjoy your holiday and report back on what did and didnt work.

but it rains thats scotland its not the warmest of places on earth but it is the friendlest.

although we may seem dour we are a happy bunch.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS