PDA

View Full Version : overnight parking at tunnel

letale
22-05-2012, 22:37
Is it safe to park overnight at Calais side of tunnel. I have parked at the ferry aire with no problem.

Romahomepete
23-05-2012, 07:28
Difficult to park overnight at either side of the tunnel but the aire at Wissant is only about 10 miles away

donkey too
23-05-2012, 08:04
There is designated camper car parking free here at euro city 50.93301,1.81283. facilities , i.e. shower toilets etc when Euro city opens. I have found that there is always plenty of room as not many people know about it and there are no specific directional signs.

Channelcrosser
23-05-2012, 08:33
We used the aire at Wissant about 6 weeks ago - there is room for about 20 motorhomes and it is free. However there are no facilities at all - but it is very convenient for the tunnel.

Enjoy France !!

Felix
23-05-2012, 09:18
We stayed at the Wissant site on Monday night after finding out that the Gravelines free site now has a charge of 6E.
Wissant does have a grey water dump and a chemical dump but no fresh water.

Talbot
23-05-2012, 10:15
Depending on which way you're heading, the medieval town of Bergues has a very popular free Aire. Always busy, but never seen it full, takes over 60 vans and is a very quiet spot. We often use it on the way back home because it has all the supermarkets for stocking up on wine and also do my last Diesel fill before the UK. Good spot and worth checking out.

BambiOwner
23-05-2012, 11:01
There is designated camper car parking free here at euro city 50.93301,1.81283. facilities , i.e. shower toilets etc when Euro city opens. I have found that there is always plenty of room as not many people know about it and there are no specific directional signs.

I have tried to enter these latitude and longitude but nothing comes up.
Bambiowner

donkey too
23-05-2012, 11:18
went back and got this off of google earth 50.932942,1.812809 . just pasted into GE again and it comes up OK.

donkey too
23-05-2012, 11:24
direstions from A16 Junction 43, just outside Calais
6.3 km, 7 mins
A16
8.2 km, 13 mins
Bd Léon Gambetta and A16
Driving directions to Unknown road

A16
1. Head southeast on A16
1.6 km
2. Take exit 44 toward Calais-Saint-Pierre
240 m
3. Turn left onto D245
97 m
4. Turn left to merge onto A16 toward Guines/Boulogne/Tunnel sous la Manche
2.7 km
5. Take exit 42b toward E15
300 m
6. Keep left at the fork
550 m
7. Continue straight
700 m
8. Turn right
110 m

Unknown road

Talbot
23-05-2012, 12:03

Just been wandering around City Europe on Google Earth. What is it? Is it a retail park?

Croftland1
23-05-2012, 12:08
Just been wandering around City Europe on Google Earth. What is it? Is it a retail park?

Yes, and as mentioned, opposite the Carrefour entrance is a designated motorhome parking area (against the Eurotunnel boundary fence)

We stayed there along with another 8 or 9 vans at Easter and enjoyed a safe and peaceful night. Can recommend it.

Jim

Byronic
23-05-2012, 12:14
If only for a night the Ferry Terminal Booking Office Carpark is OK. "Very" safe due to it being under constant security surveillance. Just a short drive to the tunnel. Shower/toilet in the Ferry Terminal Building.
The aire at Bleriot Plage (ferry aire?) is usually crowded. And the Cite de Europe carpark has had a few negative reports recently.

Croftland1
23-05-2012, 12:20
the Cite de Europe carpark has had a few negative reports recently.

I must have missed those - I'd be interested to learn what has been said as we enjoyed our stay and on personal experience wouldn't hesitate to return.

Jim

Byronic
23-05-2012, 15:33
There were some threads last year on a couple of other motorhome websites reporting the presence of migrants in and around the Cite de Europe aire making some of the campers feel uneasy. I saw a thread since end of March quoting something similar. When I was last passing through C de E a coach driver said he had to be wary of potential stowaways.

I suspect that the migrants get moved out of Calais town centre end up in C de E then moved on from there to Cocquelles, Sangatte etc,a perpetual merry go round. Which explains why of course some campers at C de E see them and some don't.

Wouldn't stop me personally staying in C de E. though. Just prefer the Ferry Terminal Carpark. Perhaps someone else can confirm my comments?

donkey too
23-05-2012, 16:28
If only for a night the Ferry Terminal Booking Office Carpark is OK. "Very" safe due to it being under constant security surveillance. Just a short drive to the tunnel. Shower/toilet in the Ferry Terminal Building.
The aire at Bleriot Plage (ferry aire?) is usually crowded. And the Cite de Europe carpark has had a few negative reports recently.

Can you point us to these negative reports or are they just hearsy? Personally the only problem I have had there over the last ten years is from a van load of English loiuts who had filled the van with lager and intended to drink it before they got onto the ferry. They were put in the picture later in the night. Nuff said.
As far as the scrotes from the jungle are concerned they are well controlled by the local police and are anyway not interesed in you, only with thhe opportunity to stow away on a lorry or coach.

m30
23-05-2012, 16:39
I cant seem to make heads or tails of your directions, any chance you could post a screen shot of the route. The one google is giving me takes you back through what looks like the checking in gate, we want to access it after coming off the tunnel train.

Stu

Skar
23-05-2012, 19:58
Wissant was a good spot when it was a field, it's often full these days, you can wild at 50.937075, 1.728619 and get a sea view...

Byronic
23-05-2012, 20:07
Can you point us to these negative reports or are they just hearsy? Personally the only problem I have had there over the last ten years is from a van load of English loiuts who had filled the van with lager and intended to drink it before they got onto the ferry. They were put in the picture later in the night. Nuff said.
As far as the scrotes from the jungle are concerned they are well controlled by the local police and are anyway not interesed in you, only with thhe opportunity to stow away on a lorry or coach.

The posts I refer to found (maybe novice motorhomers) just the mere presence of young maybe destitute penniless men wandering about at night unnerving, I guess thats enough reason for them to post comments on the forums.

I don't know if your Calais experiences go back to just before the last tranch of countries joined the EU, but you may recall that the Ferry Terminal building was permanently literally heaving wiith mainly young east European blokes literally sleeping/living anywhere and everywhere, and those not in the Terminal were slitting open curtain siders and attempting to stowaway. I never saw any real trouble otherwise..... but still, some might have found this alone, unnerving enough to be worthy of mention.

fairytooth
23-05-2012, 20:56
Wissant was a good spot when it was a field, it's often full these days, you can wild at 50.937075, 1.728619 and get a sea view...

Yes that's a good spot. And if you carry on towards Sangatte you can turn in where the beach huts are on the beach head visible from the road too. Had a very quiet stopover there end of March.

Hughman
23-05-2012, 21:17
Yes, and as mentioned, opposite the Carrefour entrance is a designated motorhome parking area (against the Eurotunnel boundary fence)

We stayed there along with another 8 or 9 vans at Easter and enjoyed a safe and peaceful night. Can recommend it.

Jim

We did the same, also at Easter - absolutely no problems and pretty handy for crossing next day, or early start across Europe.

kingfisher1
23-05-2012, 21:32
Yes we were there at easter and no problems at all ,but there is a thread on motorhome facts about a young couples van that got broke into at 3 oclock in the afternoon

Croftland1
24-05-2012, 08:01
I cant seem to make heads or tails of your directions, any chance you could post a screen shot of the route. The one google is giving me takes you back through what looks like the checking in gate, we want to access it after coming off the tunnel train.

Stu

As you exit the train and come down off the bridge, stay right, (by the fuel station.) It's the non-motorway route and I think it's signposted to the Cite de Europe. Take a left at the roundabout and head into the retail area. At a roundabout with a car dealership ahead on the right, take a left and head up the hill with the main shopping centre on your right. You will see Carrefour on your right and the m/home park is opposite on the left. If you miss it, there is another roundabout at the top for you to loop back round.

Here's the google link Cité De L'Europe, Coquelles, France - Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/jr5c5)

Jim

m30
24-05-2012, 16:30
Good man, thank you

stu

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS