PDA

View Full Version : Closed laybys south of Oban

mardee
09-06-2012, 21:01
We were out for a drive today and noticed 2 laybys south of Oban by Loch Feochan are closed. There are huge piles of gravel in them. It looks like they are preparing for resurfacing the road and hopefully will then be reopened. There are other areas to stop further down the road to Lochgilphead
Regards
Margaret

robbie1003
09-06-2012, 21:17
just back from two weeks trip up in that area, seen quite alot of laybys in the same state. who knows their plans but it looks like somebody is trying to stop us all from staying in sutch areas. shame.

maingate
09-06-2012, 21:20
That's a shame. I have used them myself.

It will take an awful lot of gravel to block them off. One of them is about 100 yards long (from memory). It is so big that it needs 2 'No overnighting' signs. :lol-049:

scenictraveller
10-06-2012, 07:16
theres been a few land slips in that area recently closing the road for weeks,maybe just there just incase it happens again.

elefantman
10-06-2012, 14:03
The layby just before the closed ones(north bound) has a nice view and access to the water side,also has a couple of bench seats on a grassy area,just big enough for a couple of mh and hidden from the road by trees, worth looking out for,we couldnt believe our luck..........until the midges came on mass to spoil the fun,and there was LOTS OF MIDGES

mardee
10-06-2012, 16:13
There is a parking area which is well off the road and has a great view on the road from Lochawe to Inveraray which has been deliberately closed by a pile of earth and rocks at either end.The ones I mentioned look as if it will be temporary. They also had sign up warning of loose chippings etc over quite a distance which seems strange to have them there before roadworks start.

Michellecameron
26-11-2012, 07:36
Almost All of them are now reopened , or at least will / should be now, it's been a rolling repair crew that has been redoing hundreds if miles of road surfaces over the last 15 mths, the one looking over to loch awe village reopened last week ( still has a digger parked in it mind you) but they are all nearly ready

Wooie1958
26-11-2012, 07:51
Why is everyone panicking ?

The council needs somewhere to store the chippings in readiness for the re-surfacing work they do.

By using the layby`s ( which i think they own ) they have a large supply at hand and ready to use.

This will then shorten any delays caused by the roadworks by not having to transport the chippings
from a storage compound many many miles away.

It`s just a shame that England and Wales do not repair the roads like Scotland does.

maingate
26-11-2012, 08:11
Panic, what panic?

This is a popular (and scenic) area and is used by wildies. It is only right that we pass this information on to each other.

If you look at the date of the first post and the last post giving the all clear, you will see that the area has been affected for a long time. We were in the Oban area in Sept/Oct and avoided that area because of the original posts.

Thanks for the info Michelle.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS