PDA

View Full Version : Sandsend (outside Whitby)

roifromnwales
03-01-2005, 16:50
The beach car park seems kosher, know a few people who've spent a night there with no problems

kimbowbill
05-06-2009, 08:32
The beach car park seems kosher, know a few people who've spent a night there with no problems

Hi

is this the one on west cliffe?

thanks

Jen

Old_Arthur
05-06-2009, 09:12
no it along westcliff a few miles out of whitby its a nice little place,

kimbowbill
05-06-2009, 12:34
mmmm thanks old Aurthur, a little confused.com but i'l find it

Jenny

Old_Arthur
05-06-2009, 12:47
its just north along the cliff tops 5mins at most well sign posted

kimbowbill
05-06-2009, 13:13
Thank you i'l find it

urbtaf
06-06-2009, 21:34

Times must have changed then. I used to go to Sandsend surfing with my son about 12 years ago, and there was no chance of overnighting. Trouble was we couldnt stop at any campsites either as a 40+ man traveling with a 10 year old boy I was looked on as a pervert up to no good. Irony of that was at the time I was working as a lay person in child protection for South Yorkshire council.
Theres a nice steady wave there though, you just need a good wetsuit:D

channa
07-06-2009, 01:03
at the time I was working as a lay person in child protection for South Yorkshire council.

At the time suggests a 'past life'

Doncaster Social Services seem to have done a grand job in securing and promoting the welfare of young and vulnerable people.Such a good job in fact that the Government have taken responsibilty and placed an inspectorate to deliver services due to the failings of DMBC.

I actually feel a lot of sympathy for those at grass roots. The hierarchy as obviously failed in its duty on a grand scale and we will see if any one is accountable Or possibly scapegoat.

It seems to me from reading local press you are better off out of it

Channa

Old_Arthur
07-06-2009, 06:51
our new mayor seems to have some good idea's:rolleyes::D

urbtaf
07-06-2009, 08:55
At the time suggests a 'past life'

Doncaster Social Services seem to have done a grand job in securing and promoting the welfare of young and vulnerable people.Such a good job in fact that the Government have taken responsibilty and placed an inspectorate to deliver services due to the failings of DMBC.

I actually feel a lot of sympathy for those at grass roots. The hierarchy as obviously failed in its duty on a grand scale and we will see if any one is accountable Or possibly scapegoat.

It seems to me from reading local press you are better off out of it

Channa

Shouldnt have mentioned this, but as I have I will put things into perspective for you.
I was asked to sit on this commitee after the fiasco on a scottish island when a young doctor decided that, after testing 1 child for annal intrusion, the whole island was full of perverts and all the children were taken into care. This was back in the 70s ,I think,
Anyway the result of this was that the Gov decided that lay people should sit on these commities that make these desitions to stop the "pros" getting things wrong, and I was shocked at these educated peoples lack of understanding of life.
One of the first cases we were asked to look at was a couple of adults who had "learning problems" they had 3 kids 9,10 and 11 years old, The people next door had complained about the mess the house was in. The social worker (a woman in her 50s with a mass of experiance) put the case to the commitee that the kids did the shopping, cooking, the eldest delt with the money, all the kids were doing well at school,and were happy, but house work and washing didnt happen.
The lawyer said that there were grounds for the children to be taken into care, the rest of the commitee just nodded in agreement.
I was shocked, and not being intimidated by all these well educated pros. I said "Crap, just send a cleaner in a couple of times a week," I was voted down and the kids were taken into foster care,
The social worker took me on one side after the meeting and said " I can see you think your wasting your time here, but for gods sake keep trying, one day they might listen to you"
I sat on that commitee for 3 years and in the end I did make a differance. But if we want to solve the problem of baby P and all the other attrocities that happen, then double the social workers wages,to attract the right people, stop paying their managers 50000+ wages, limit the work load of the social workers to a level they can handle. Being a (dumped on a doorstep baby myself) I know what Im talking about.
So forget about your new Mayor ect. talk to the people doing the dirty jobs out there on the streets, they know whats going on but are gaged and cannot express their veiws without being sacked.
Sorry for the rant but its a subject very close to my heart

sasquatch
07-06-2009, 09:17
Shouldnt have mentioned this, but as I have I will put things into perspective for you.
I was asked to sit on this commitee after the fiasco on a scottish island when a young doctor decided that, after testing 1 child for annal intrusion, the whole island was full of perverts and all the children were taken into care. This was back in the 70s ,I think,
Anyway the result of this was that the Gov decided that lay people should sit on these commities that make these desitions to stop the "pros" getting things wrong, and I was shocked at these educated peoples lack of understanding of life.
One of the first cases we were asked to look at was a couple of adults who had "learning problems" they had 3 kids 9,10 and 11 years old, The people next door had complained about the mess the house was in. The social worker (a woman in her 50s with a mass of experiance) put the case to the commitee that the kids did the shopping, cooking, the eldest delt with the money, all the kids were doing well at school,and were happy, but house work and washing didnt happen.
The lawyer said that there were grounds for the children to be taken into care, the rest of the commitee just nodded in agreement.
I was shocked, and not being intimidated by all these well educated pros. I said "Crap, just send a cleaner in a couple of times a week," I was voted down and the kids were taken into foster care,
The social worker took me on one side after the meeting and said " I can see you think your wasting your time here, but for gods sake keep trying, one day they might listen to you"
I sat on that commitee for 3 years and in the end I did make a differance. But if we want to solve the problem of baby P and all the other attrocities that happen, then double the social workers wages,to attract the right people, stop paying their managers 50000+ wages, limit the work load of the social workers to a level they can handle. Being a (dumped on a doorstep baby myself) I know what Im talking about.
So forget about your new Mayor ect. talk to the people doing the dirty jobs out there on the streets, they know whats going on but are gaged and cannot express their veiws without being sacked.
Sorry for the rant but its a subject very close to my heart
Speaking from my wife's experience,I can only comment as 'Lions led by Donkeys'!!
Back to topic I have visited my aunt many times ,who lived in Whitby and frequently visited Sandsend. Its nice to know that I can 'wild' there occasionally.

kimbowbill
07-06-2009, 09:54
erm hello guys, interesting stuff and all that but now you have hijacked the thread, sould we get back to business and tell me where to park at sandsend:)

jenny

urbtaf
07-06-2009, 11:06
Sorry but after the mention of donny fiasco couldnt resist!!
We used to try and park on the coast road going down to sandsend, but as I said got moved on, but that was many years ago. Theres plenty of room to park in the area of that bit of the bay, and if the powers that be are leaving us alone then take your pick.

one stop
08-06-2009, 21:06
DING DONG ! got me as i dont want to go motorhoming anymore

lenny
08-06-2009, 21:35
erm hello guys, interesting stuff and all that but now you have hijacked the thread, sould we get back to business and tell me where to park at sandsend:)

jenny

I think this spot looks as good as any Kimbowbill;)

http://www.multimap.com/s/AtDyOTcW

Zoom in on red circle then click on aerial view, I,ve parked here before but never camped there.:)

Good Luck..

kimbowbill
08-06-2009, 23:03
I think this spot looks as good as any Kimbowbill;)

http://www.multimap.com/s/AtDyOTcW

Zoom in on red circle then click on aerial view, I,ve parked here before but never camped there.:)

Good Luck..

hey Lenny

thats great, thanks, we'll give it at a try and let you know

Regards

Jenny

channa
09-06-2009, 00:04
It is a council gritting compound, if my map reading is correct...( just past the golf club on the right hand side before hitting the drag. There is signage re overnight camping etc...so perhaps it is worth having a second place up your sleeve.

I cant help with spots ...but a little further North is Port Mulberry etc ...possible things are a bi tmore relaxed there.

fwiw a bit further down the drag is some PC's on the left hand side...and the road layout at least would allow you a good view and not providing a problem in respect of traffic flows etc to the BIB's ...also technically a road ..but I cant recall if there are parking restrictions ( It wouldnt surprise me if there were). But worthy of investigating

Channa

Old_Arthur
09-06-2009, 06:28
we always sleepover here never had a problem :cool:we stop on westcliff till late then pull in there and out again early back down to westcliff to get a gud spot:eek::Dwish there was a lift near the steps though:pnice to sit on the grass and have a ice cream when you've climed back up:D

DRS
09-06-2009, 21:04
Lenny, I went past that spot a couple of weeks ago there were a few campers parked up. It's not very level but looked ok if you wanted to stop close to the sea.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS