PDA

View Full Version : Nomination for the Scariest Motorhome road in Britain (so far...)

Vanterrier
13-06-2012, 18:52
Just returned from a great week in Ardnamurchan and the Isle of Mull with wall to wall sunshine while the rest of Britain got soaked... wild camping was fantastic, no midges to speak of and even fewer people... we explored every turnoff and they all ended with a nice turning area and our confidence on these narrow roads just grew.
Then, on Mull on the road to Iona I saw a turnoff for "Carsaig" (56.327960, -5.981026) and remembered seeing a photo somewhere of some cliff-arches stretching out into the sea which I thought had to be worth a look, so I turned onto the small road and began to climb at a reasonable gradient and noticed that the road didnt seem as well travelled as others we had been on and it had very few passing places but with nowhere to turn around we just carried on until we reached the top and saw a very steep descent to Carsaig stretching out in front of us with no signs of a passing place... Gulp! we carried on and noticed the tell-tale signs of a burnt out car on the road (melted plastic and aluminium mixed with melted tar, bits of glass and a scorched verge) Hmmm... someone had obviously found the climb back out of Carsaig tough! we got to a tight bend and the narrowing road dropped steeply, winding down through the trees past some houses and then climbed slightly before another very steep drop to the turning area. For the first time the turning area was partially blocked by some Richard-Craniums and it was a very steep piece of tarmac with a step onto loose gravel. I had to ease down onto the gravel and then 7 point turn in the remaining space, all the time thinking "if my clutch starts slipping here, we are goosed!". I eventually got turned but with nowhere to park, had to head back the way we had come, praying nothing would be coming the other way... nothing did thankfully, phew!!!
Anyway, this road was by far the scariest road I have been on in our van (so far) so I would like to nominate it as the scariest motorhoming road in Britain...

I challenge you to beat it (and will be marking any suggestions off on my map :)

K :)

scenictraveller
13-06-2012, 19:30
have you tried the applecross road,the old cattle drovers road.

no room for error there or turning,

Vanterrier
13-06-2012, 19:33
yes we came over that last October and its a steep drop with tight bends down to Kishorn right enough but not as scarey as the Carsaig road...

keep em coming...

K ;)

Smaug
14-06-2012, 14:56
Wrynose & Hardknot passes in the Lakes, especially on a Bank Holiday when only 1:100 knows how to select their reverse gear. :lol-053:

This road near me in NE Staffordshire is a good one, the rocks on either side are scarred by innacurate drivers;

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/543039_289319724486494_690756773_n.jpg

Pic taken while driving! :)

Firefox
14-06-2012, 15:25
I don't think the old Applecross mountain pass is really that scary :drive:

groyne
14-06-2012, 16:24
Wrynose & Hardknot passes in the Lakes, especially on a Bank Holiday when only 1:100 knows how to select their reverse gear.

Tell me, I nearly burnt my clutch out when a woman couldn't reverse a few yards back down to the passing point. :mad2:

Oh and reversing half a mile between six foot snowdrifts on the road near Malham Tarn in April. We thought the road had been ploughed, but it had only been cleared by the farmer to the end of his fields. :scared:

MORGANTHEMOON
14-06-2012, 16:30
Wrynose & Hardknot passes in the Lakes, especially on a Bank Holiday when only 1:100 knows how to select their reverse gear. :lol-053:

This road near me in NE Staffordshire is a good one, the rocks on either side are scarred by innacurate drivers;

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/543039_289319724486494_690756773_n.jpg

Did you shut your eyes?

Viktor
14-06-2012, 19:45
This is a photo of the creepiest road in Northern Ireland....it appears in the final minutes of episode 2 in the second series of Game of Thrones
(in daylight) ...

ivecotrucker
14-06-2012, 21:01
Applecross (Drover's Road) is easy peezy. No problem for shorter vehicles but for larger/longer vehicles try the unclassified coast road between Aird of Coidach & Inverkirkaig, west of Suilven (the not over 26' foot warning sign is there for a good reason ! - actually about 25' is eneough).

Vanterrier
15-06-2012, 09:16

Yep that looks scarey alright... I'll give you second place so far ;)

K:cool:

Vanterrier
15-06-2012, 09:17
This is a photo of the creepiest road in Northern Ireland....it appears in the final minutes of episode 2 in the second series of Game of Thrones
(in daylight) ...

I think that would get first prize as "Spookiest" ok...

K ;)

snowbirds
15-06-2012, 09:52
Hi Scenictraveller,

Applecross a great road we were there in 2009 in our 22 foot Escape 664,quite interesting :fun::drive::drive:,but we had some bad mountain roads in France last year.The wife had many frights as she was on the drop side,but that's the fun of traveling.

Regards Snowbirds.

have you tried the applecross road,the old cattle drovers road.

no room for error there or turning,

Smaug
15-06-2012, 15:09
There's a cracker runs down the east side of the Adriatic from Split to Dubrovnik. There are huge sheer limestone cliffs above you on the left & a sheer drop down to the sea on the right. It twists & turns to follow the cliffs & the locals all travel at great speed & with panache, but little skill.

If you remember the opening sequence of that film (can't remember if it is the Italian Job or a James Bond one) where the Ferrari & e-type are zoomng along & shoot into a tunnel where one meets a buldozer & the wreckage is pushed over the clif, then you have the picture. Local cars either have tiny scratches from bad parking/ near misses or they are completely wrecked & left hanging off the edge of the road.

Ste
15-06-2012, 17:50
First half a mile heading north from Ulpha over Birker Fell. Major clutch killer if wet!!
M8 through Glasgow

Vanterrier
15-06-2012, 18:31
M8 through Glasgow
:raofl::raofl::raofl:

thats a different kind of scarey but I agree...

K ;)

DRoader
15-06-2012, 21:47
I'm going to nominate the Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. It's not the most difficult road I've navigated, far from it. It is however the road that has done the the most damage to my motorhome. I've crossed bridges in France that claimed a 2M width and managed to get across in a 2.7M motorhome but they didn't cause the damage this innocuous mountain pass did :scared:

Vanterrier
17-06-2012, 17:24
I'm going to nominate the Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. It's not the most difficult road I've navigated, far from it. It is however the road that has done the the most damage to my motorhome. I've crossed bridges in France that claimed a 2M width and managed to get across in a 2.7M motorhome but they didn't cause the damage this innocuous mountain pass did :scared:
Yes I think you and the earlier suggestion may be right... I know the road very well and would not take my van over them so I agree they are very scarey and certainly near the top contenders of the league... but I'm keeping Carsaig as No.1 so far...

K ;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS