PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

Bushtrekker
15-06-2012, 04:52
It's just occurred to me that some of us own campers, some motorhomes and some RV's. The first and last are clearly defined, but where is the boundary between camper van and motorhome. It can't be size, because motorhomes come in all shapes and sizes and my 1988 Hymer Tramp is described in Hymer's brochure as a 'Camping Car'. It can't be the facilities as a lot of VW camper vans have toilets, kitchens and showers, so what makes it a motorhome as opposed to a camper van? In mine I go upstairs to bed, which makes it more home like, but this applies to some camper vans with lifting roofs. Suggestions on a postcard please to the following address.

It's 5am and I'm bored,
Hymer Tramp
Navigation Inn
Overseal,
Derbyshire

All entries will be read, but we are unable to return thrown eggs, tomatoes etc. so please make sure you keep a copy in your fridge:)

Firefox
15-06-2012, 05:01
This has been asked a few times before, but basically many people, espec general public, tend to refer to panel van conversions as camper vans and coachbuilts on a chassis cab as motorhomes.

In fact some modern panel van conversions are better in terms of facilities than some coachbuilts so I would tend to refer to anything with full facilites ie Shower/toilet, lounge, well equipped kitchen, double bed and possibly a garage as a motorhome whether it is a panel van or a coachbuilt.

Bushtrekker
15-06-2012, 05:25
Some of the modern panel van conversions are amazing. In my case I work on the fact that I've got two double beds, central heating, hot water, toilet and bathroom somewhere to sit and a sensible sized water tank there isn't that much difference between the van and what I have at home. OK, so it's in an area half the size of my dining room, but that doesn't really matter, because when it's raining and I've been driving for miles I can stop, turn on the gas and be warm and dry without having to put up a tent.

n brown
15-06-2012, 07:04
i call everything a camper,it's only got 2 syllables so it's 33% less time consuming to say,and at my age that's important

afl777
15-06-2012, 08:07
I just think of mine as a van, cos thats what it is. A van with an ex army camp bed in the back.

I think with some campers / motorhomes it might be hard to decide which :)

Ange

ivecotrucker
15-06-2012, 08:30
This has been asked a few times before, but basically many people, espec general public, tend to refer to panel van conversions as camper vans and coachbuilts on a chassis cab as motorhomes.

In fact some modern panel van conversions are better in terms of facilities than some coachbuilts so I would tend to refer to anything with full facilites ie Shower/toilet, lounge, well equipped kitchen, double bed and possibly a garage as a motorhome whether it is a panel van or a coachbuilt.

Thanks Firefox. We call ours 'The Truck' but now we can confidently say that we have a Motorhome !

Funky Farmer
15-06-2012, 08:54
I wouldn't really call mine either a home or a camper, without blushing!

A motor-hovel would be far more appropriate.

MORGANTHEMOON
15-06-2012, 08:56
I wouldn't really call mine either a home or a camper, without blushing!

A motor-hovel would be far more appropriate.

I've never heard of that model.

Firefox
15-06-2012, 09:25
The public are amazingly short of knowledge on motorhomes in general. When I say I have a converted van, they will invariably ask "Oh is that a VW?" as though VWs are the only kind of MHs/campervans :lol-053:

wynthesurfer
15-06-2012, 09:39
The public are amazingly short of knowledge on motorhomes in general. When I say I have a converted van, they will invariably ask "Oh is that a VW?" as though VWs are the only kind of MHs/campervans :lol-053:

I have a Gulfstream Sunsport RV but most say I like your Winnebago !!!

markymo
15-06-2012, 09:55
I have a Hymer and I still call it a campervan when I had problems with parking on my drive (bitter old women next door ) the council told me there is no such thing as a motorhome or campervan the term is motor caravan the best thing about it is that I own my house so what it had to do with the council I will never know
all was well in the end as the deeds stated no caravans or boats on my drive

oldish hippy
15-06-2012, 09:59
well stick on front lawn then it not on drive lol

donkey too
15-06-2012, 10:15

wish people wouldn't use abreiviations What's a VW? :)

maingate
15-06-2012, 11:09
Non-motorhomers/camper vanners often call them caravanettes. :)

I just say 'van' even though its a coachbuilt. Should I be saying 'coach' instead?

Firefox
15-06-2012, 11:19
Yes, caravanette I have heard too, whatever one of those is! Another one is "bus" again going back to a VW (Volkswagen ;) ) with windows theme.

GeoffB
15-06-2012, 12:08
Interesting... you could say our California isn't a conversion - some people have said "who converted it?" and we always reply "nobody, that's how VW make them!"

We always think anything bigger than ours is a motor-home, anything the same size or smaller a camper-van.

Admin
15-06-2012, 12:24
I was told that a motorhome has more than one room.
But I prefer they are motorcaravans if they have the required spec or campervans if they don't.

MORGANTHEMOON
15-06-2012, 12:53
My wife says Yes!

snowbirds
15-06-2012, 13:05
Hi Morganthemoon,

My agree's too.:rolleyes2::sad:

My wife says Yes!

stormywalters
15-06-2012, 13:09
My wife says Yes!

Ha Ha Ha :lol-049:

Thats so funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

Sue :o

Beemer
15-06-2012, 14:33
i call everything a camper,it's only got 2 syllables so it's 33% less time consuming to say,and at my age that's important

I call mine a 'van, even easier to say....cept note the ' before van...it's important ..:lol-053:

Beemer
15-06-2012, 14:36
Yes, caravanette I have heard too, whatever one of those is! Another one is "bus" again going back to a VW (Volkswagen ;) ) with windows theme.

My parents had a Commer caravanette, it took 7 people comfortably sat up and the seats folded down to a mahoosive bed (7 people remember)..;)

Smaug
15-06-2012, 14:58
wish people wouldn't use abreiviations What's a VW? :)

Sorry you're being ignored. VW = VolksWagen, the most popular campervan up until around the 1980's, also sometimes known as a VeeDub.

lotty
15-06-2012, 16:21
When we are talking to customers about holidays and where we've been at weekends etc we call ours "the van" or "the camper".
(If we tell people we have a camper they always say oh have you got a VW!)
We don't tend to call it a Motorhome as if you do, you get all the, oh you've got loads of money then have you, oh yes, money bags etc etc.
It's frustrating, No we're not money bags, we work for a living and save our money for things we like! just because they sit on their backsides at home claiming dole money and not working but it makes me embarrased to call her a Motorhome!

Bushtrekker
15-06-2012, 16:39
...depending on where I park it, but at the moment I'm stuck in a corner on a pub car park waiting for the monsoon to stop.

groyne
15-06-2012, 17:32
Small campervans are often referred to as Day vans by surfers.

Go wild
15-06-2012, 18:41
The public are amazingly short of knowledge on motorhomes in general. When I say I have a converted van, they will invariably ask "Oh is that a VW?" as though VWs are the only kind of MHs/campervans :lol-053: Surely they are!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS