PDA

View Full Version : Sedbergh, Cumbria

paul h
17-06-2012, 19:52
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54.327374,-2.32024&ll=54.327366,-2.320285&spn=0.006494,0.020278&num=1&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=54.327366,-2.320285&panoid=1LiHBDu8t6iLGiEuZreojg&cbp=12,118.05,,0,0

Croftland1
17-08-2012, 22:33
You're obviously not too fussy about your overnight stops Paul. These unprotected roadside laybys are cluttering the database unnecessarily in my opinion.

paul h
17-08-2012, 23:35
You're obviously not too fussy about your overnight stops Paul. These unprotected roadside laybys are cluttering the database unnecessarily in my opinion.

Maybee you could add a few and others wouldnt have to

Croftland1
18-08-2012, 08:42
Maybee you could add a few and others wouldnt have to

I've added many good stops Paul.

paul h
18-08-2012, 10:32

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cheshire/18062-rural-layby-near-waverton-cheshire.html#post183802 is this a protected layby spot or am i missing your point

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 10:39
I think all POI's are added with the best intentions, it is up to Canalsman whether he adds them or not.

paul h
18-08-2012, 10:42
I think all POI's are added with the best intentions, it is up to Canalsman whether he adds them or not.

exactly my father used to take us to the spot i added due to the train line and bridge trains arnt my bag but do appeal to others

Croftland1
18-08-2012, 17:51
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/cheshire/18062-rural-layby-near-waverton-cheshire.html#post183802 is this a protected layby spot or am i missing your point

Yes I think you're missing it. I visited the Waverton layby personally and found it to be very large with the protection of trees and vegetation at the end. I would be happy overnighting there and consequently shared it with the other members. Please have it taken off if you believe it's unsafe.

I do most of my wildcamping in Cumbria and my frustration is that the database once contained a very adequate list of quality wildcamp locations. Unfortunately there now appears to be some inane competition to list as many insignificant road widenings as possible to the POI database and I believe this has resulted in members having to plough through far too much dross in order to find somewhere that is a reasonable prospect for a pleasant overnight stay.

The database is now very diluted and far less useful to me. I don't think I am on my own with this frustration. What do others think?

Canalsman
18-08-2012, 18:30
I recently added a thread citing the criteria for POI submission, which you'll find here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-location-additions-updates/19861-poi-criteria.html

In here you'll see that for an A-road to qualify, there must be a physical separation from the carriageway to make the spot more likely to be safe.

The Waverton layby is on an unclassified road, so doesn't need to be separated.

The place that PaulH submitted is on an A-road, but was added before I settled on the base criteria.

I have had a look at the spot using Streetview, and this should probably be removed.

If there are other places that are similarly outside the criteria, please submit an update through a new thread under POI Updates and I'll review them.

Thanks.

Chris

maingate
18-08-2012, 18:37
I have to admit that most of the POI's are unsuitable for a large coachbuilt van.

I am at present planning an extended Scottish trip (weather permitting) and there are very few POI's that I can use. I am finding my own and hoping for the best. It was much the same 2 years ago when we did this trip.

paul h
18-08-2012, 20:17
Yes I think you're missing it. I visited the Waverton layby personally and found it to be very large with the protection of trees and vegetation at the end. I would be happy overnighting there and consequently shared it with the other members. Please have it taken off if you believe it's unsafe.

I do most of my wildcamping in Cumbria and my frustration is that the database once contained a very adequate list of quality wildcamp locations. Unfortunately there now appears to be some inane competition to list as many insignificant road widenings as possible to the POI database and I believe this has resulted in members having to plough through far too much dross in order to find somewhere that is a reasonable prospect for a pleasant overnight stay.

The database is now very diluted and far less useful to me. I don't think I am on my own with this frustration. What do others think?

i would say having visited the spot on the way back from hawes despite being an a road it is relatively quiet in some superb countryside the data base may be getting diluted more than likely because spots are taken off due to no over nighting signs having been put up .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS