PDA

View Full Version : Inbuilt Leisure battery charger

yandoo
18-06-2012, 08:55
Hi all, Ive recently been testing my leisure battery I guess its about 85/amp hours by its size but am not 100%. I want to use my laptop (low powered 90w) through a 12v cigarette socket (which I've installed). It doesnt last for very long (however the test i conducted was not only powering the laptop but also charging its battery) but because it only last for about 20 mins I realised the battery isn't powerful enough. So I want to buy 2 batteries at 125 amp/hours each and connect them in series/parallel (cant remember off the top of my head which will keep voltages the same and increase amps only). The problem (if there is one) is that I have a built in charger that trickle charges my existing battery. I don't know anything about the charger and it doesnt say anything on it when i opened up the zig unit.

So my question is is my charger going to be ok to charge these 2 new batteries I buy? I realise this is a bit of a shot in the dark but would appreciate any help or advise.

Thank you for listening

Tom

p.s. Im going to sunrise celebration festival next thursday, hope to see any of you there if your going.

Firefox
18-06-2012, 10:44
Yes it will be OK to put these two new batteries in place of your existing one. Connect in parallel ie negative to negative to earth and positive to positive to supply. If you need an earth for the supply (ie It is not local returns through the body, take the earth connection from the other battery from which you connected the positive. This is to ensure the batteries are more equally loaded due to the resistance of the cables connecting them. You need to get thick battery connection straps/cables to connect your batteries or they won't work as one).

Any trickle charging arrangement you have will be less than half as effective with two bigger batteries.

Tony Lee
18-06-2012, 11:58
Discharging an 85Ah battery down to half way should take about 5 hours - assuming 8 amps load which should more than cover most laptop power supplies.

If you are getting only 20 minutes then either - your battery has had it - or - and maybe because - your charging system is never getting the batteries up to 100% charge - or you are running the computer direct from 12V rather than the 14 to 20 V that most laptops use.

Before blowing a heap of money on two large batteries, why not check out the real reason for what is happening. Then at least you can take actions based on facts rather than just throwing money at a problem.

Bigpeetee
18-06-2012, 14:44
Discharging an 85Ah battery down to half way should take about 5 hours - assuming 8 amps load which should more than cover most laptop power supplies.

If you are getting only 20 minutes then either - your battery has had it - or - and maybe because - your charging system is never getting the batteries up to 100% charge - or you are running the computer direct from 12V rather than the 14 to 20 V that most laptops use.

Before blowing a heap of money on two large batteries, why not check out the real reason for what is happening. Then at least you can take actions based on facts rather than just throwing money at a problem.

Agree with Tony, firstly, measure your leisure batt voltage with engine running and/or using 240 EHU charger, then about an hour after it stopped being charged, either by battery charger or running the engine.

How old is the battery?

I find it better to plug the 12v charger into the laptop before you use it, so stopping the batteries going flat, therefore you are only replacing what you use instead of trying to charge the laptop battery and run it, or just charge it up only.

I assume you have a 12v charger and not using a 240v through an inverter??

More info please.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS