PDA

View Full Version : A cook in the bush.

Bushtrekker
19-06-2012, 21:29
For as long as I can remember I've carried a cook box when vehicle camping and now I've got a camper that hasn't changed. With a few basic ingredients there is no reason to live on beans. With the contents of my box, rods and a gun, it's possible to live off the land easily and eat as well as at home. This is what I carry.

Garlic puree, anchovy paste, black pepper, tomato puree, dried thyme and oregano, paprika, tinned tomatoes, curry powder, Garam Masala, pasta, arborio rice. long grain rice, sultanas, dried onions, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, olive oil, tomato sauce, worcester sauce etc. and now Guiness sauce.

What do you regard as essentials for a cook box?

whitevanwoman
19-06-2012, 21:32
A means of boiling water, a pot noodle, a fork and a sachet of tomato sauce nicked from a cafe. And if it's a sunday, some bacon and bread and several sachets of tomato sauce.

kimbowbill
19-06-2012, 21:33
Red wine..................... vinegar :lol-061:

Deleted user 21925
19-06-2012, 21:33
When tent camping I carry a Honey Stove in case I run out of gas or it is too cold for gas, it is compact and weighs next to nothing, burns twigs and you can ignite it by rubbing two boyscouts together!

runnach
19-06-2012, 21:34
Mrs R, as fail miseribly working around these heating thingy's :idea:

Deleted user 21925
19-06-2012, 21:39
Flour and milk powder, you can make a really simple bread with these

lotty
19-06-2012, 21:40
ahh, A COOK in a box! Think I best go to Specsavers! :lol-049:

n brown
19-06-2012, 22:44
i always carry a bit of a griddle,metal mesh. dig a shallow trench ,light a fire in it and when its burnt down a bit get cooking.lot of people make a ring of stones to contain the fire and support the griddle,but some stones explode and send stone chips flying.an old oven shelf will do

channa
19-06-2012, 23:11
Flour, eggs and milk.....

Pancakes, yorkies, eggs scrambled poached etc..

Makes batter, too.

I too have garam masalas etc etc ...Jen will tell you anyone breaking in my van would think I am an Indian...coriander garlic cumin....etc..

But all seasonings ultimately ...eggs flour milk loads you can do

Channa

silverweed
20-06-2012, 05:54
I have 2 yorkies and could never eat my dogs but each to his own

oldish hippy
20-06-2012, 05:56
a jar of coffee

MORGANTHEMOON
20-06-2012, 06:33
I have plenty of meat in my box.

kernowprickles
20-06-2012, 08:46
I have plenty of meat in my box.

PLEASE STOP POSTING PICS OF NUDE MEN!! It is not doing my blood pressure any good, and our water bill will be massive due to all the buckets of water Derek has to keep chucking over me to get it down again!!! :mad1::lol-053:

fishy & Nina
20-06-2012, 09:06
PLEASE STOP POSTING PICS OF NUDE MEN!! It is not doing my blood pressure any good, and our water bill will be massive due to all the buckets of water Derek has to keep chucking over me to get it down again!!! :mad1::lol-053:

Don't worry prickles, it's going to rain down here again tomorrow! Or are you away living it up somewhere?
ian

fishy & Nina
20-06-2012, 09:07
Had a horrible vision when I saw the title to this thread - Worrall-Thompson, j.Oliver at al popping up when we're at peace in the countryside.............:lol-053:

Shockingdog
20-06-2012, 11:05
Flour and milk powder, you can make a really simple bread with these

Hi, have often wanted to make fresh bread when on the move ,can you please tell me how to do it?
Thanks.

Bigpeetee
20-06-2012, 11:41
Hi, have often wanted to make fresh bread when on the move ,can you please tell me how to do it?
Thanks.

Go to Lidl or similar, buy packet of bread mix, mix with water and follow simple instructions, 10 mins of work, tops, after hour cook in oven.

I find that rolls are better than a loaf as the oven isn't as good as home and it takes less time, so less gas.

Taste OK as well. It's easy and all you need is a bowl, measuring jug or bottle and an oven tray

Go for it!!

MORGANTHEMOON
20-06-2012, 11:49

Prickles I knew you would find this photo, you have a nose for these sort of things.

Now! get back under that cold shower. lol

Funky Farmer
20-06-2012, 12:30
A bit of kit I always take is my beloved and my Cadac. One is no good without the other. :banana:

Yes dear, coming dear!! Oh gawd!!!!!:scared:

scenictraveller
20-06-2012, 14:15
you could be flash and have a biolite stove and charge your ipod whilst you cook ur beans

BioLite CampStove - BioLite Stove (http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/)

Shockingdog
20-06-2012, 18:59
Go to Lidl or similar, buy packet of bread mix, mix with water and follow simple instructions, 10 mins of work, tops, after hour cook in oven.

I find that rolls are better than a loaf as the oven isn't as good as home and it takes less time, so less gas.

Taste OK as well. It's easy and all you need is a bowl, measuring jug or bottle and an oven tray

Go for it!!

Thanks Peter
Have always made bread by the traditional methods, never thought of using a bread mix.Just showes you the need to think out of the box.I will give it a try on our next trip.
Kind regards
Don
AKA Shockingdog

Deleted user 21925
20-06-2012, 19:09
Beer Bread is a quite easy one too, mix the following;

3 cups of self raising flour
1 can of beer
1/4 cup of sugar and a little bit of salt.

Bake in loose foil for precisely a while! (Until it looks done). Can also be cooked in the embers of a fire.

Eat with beer gravy and a couple of beers followed by a beer

Drew
20-06-2012, 19:18
you could be flash and have a biolite stove and charge your ipod whilst you cook ur beans

BioLite CampStove - BioLite Stove (http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/)

That's something for every gadget lover, I must have one 6189

scenictraveller
20-06-2012, 19:24
you could be awakin after midnight and ipoding when uve no power

as patsy clyne may say ;)

Bushtrekker
20-06-2012, 19:46
Mushrooms, smoked sausage and eggs, done in one pan to save washing up.

scenictraveller
20-06-2012, 21:44

isint that what the toilets for :):scared:

whitevanwoman
21-06-2012, 10:39

And, I trust, eaten out of the pan with fingers. Wipe the frying pan round with kitchen roll and voila, all housework (vanwork?) done :lol-049: my kind of cooking.

Bigpeetee
21-06-2012, 14:52
And, I trust, eaten out of the pan with fingers. Wipe the frying pan round with kitchen roll and voila, all housework (vanwork?) done :lol-049: my kind of cooking.

Woman after my own heart!!, although you could share the cooking spoon.

If one's got gingivitis, we've all got it!!

(No KP, it's not Ginger Pox!!)

Bushtrekker
21-06-2012, 15:44
That's what foxes and badgers are for. They clean the plates and all you have to do is sterilise them.

Drew
21-06-2012, 19:49
That's what foxes and badgers are for. They clean the plates and all you have to do is sterilise them.

I got married?

Better duck now!!:scared:

whitevanwoman
21-06-2012, 21:11
Woman after my own heart!!, although you could share the cooking spoon.

If one's got gingivitis, we've all got it!!

(No KP, it's not Ginger Pox!!)

Good job I've got both a healthy dog and a healthy immune system - the dog has a bad habit of trying to do tongues when licking my face to wake me up :tongue:.

I refuse to think about where his tongue has been :scared:

Bushtrekker
05-11-2012, 19:06
Since I wrote the above I've discovered that Guinness Sauce can make a hell of a mess if it falls over and seeps out...:(

FULL TIMER
05-11-2012, 23:33
As we live in our van we have almost allways got plenty to work with, but I must have soy sauce,ginger,garlic and chinese 5 spice at all times, plenty of noodles and various rices, we must go through at least 2 - 3 lb of onions per week , always have eggs ,cheese and plenty of butter. Mrs makes fresh bread almost every day so we always have Flour and yeast etc, as for tins just tomato's, beans and tinned beansprouts , we also normally have an assortment of stock cubes , allthough when I joint chickens I allways save the carcases and make proper stock and freeze.

Like the sound of that beer bread will have to give that a go.

Firefox
06-11-2012, 00:33
Salt, black pepper, lemon juice, coriander, tumeric, tarragon, paprika, basil, mint, oregano, cayenne, garlic granules/puree, stock cubes, sugar, cinnamon, oats, rice, raisins, nuts, dried cherries, dried pears, dried fruits, vacuum packed beetroot, powdered milk, tabasco, tea, coffee, tinned fish; mussels, salmon, sardines, anchovy, english mustard, olive oil, dried meat/jerky, gin.

Things that I never carry or use that other people always seem to love: Fresh milk, tomato ketchup, brown sauce, tinned tomatoes

ellisboy
06-11-2012, 07:06
I'm hungry now :nothingtoadd:

Lee
06-11-2012, 17:22
Beer Bread is a quite easy one too, mix the following;

3 cups of self raising flour
1 can of beer
1/4 cup of sugar and a little bit of salt.

Bake in loose foil for precisely a while! (Until it looks done). Can also be cooked in the embers of a fire.

Eat with beer gravy and a couple of beers followed by a beer

So what youre saying is that in your cook box you put BEER, and if there is enough room self raising flour.:lol-049:

Seahorse
06-11-2012, 19:47
When tent camping I carry a Honey Stove in case I run out of gas or it is too cold for gas, it is compact and weighs next to nothing, burns twigs and you can ignite it by rubbing two boyscouts together!

Aha do i spy a bushcrafter in our midst!;)

leewilliam
06-11-2012, 19:54
Hey Robmac

I'd be very careful about talk of rubbing boy scouts together. :scared: Especially with current news stories that are going around.

LW

Seahorse
06-11-2012, 19:56

Why are you wasting kitchen roll, surely you wipe the pan out with a chunk of bread!!:lol-053:

Deleted user 21925
13-11-2012, 18:01
Aha do i spy a bushcrafter in our midst!;)

Maybe a little!

Seahorse
15-11-2012, 09:20
Maybe a little!

Me too a bit, probably more camper than bushcrafter! Can't get my head around that hammock sleeping lark though:lol-049:

Deleted user 21925
15-11-2012, 09:31
Me too a bit, probably more camper than bushcrafter! Can't get my head around that hammock sleeping lark though:lol-049:

Try it. It's really comfortable and a lot easier to set up and carry than a tent. Mines got a built in mozzy net and is double layered to take a thermarest for insulation. It also has a fold down TV and hot and cold water system.

(OK I lied about the last two).

John Carroll
15-11-2012, 10:20
For as long as I can remember I've carried a cook box when vehicle camping and now I've got a camper that hasn't changed. With a few basic ingredients there is no reason to live on beans. With the contents of my box, rods and a gun, it's possible to live off the land easily and eat as well as at home. This is what I carry.

Garlic puree, anchovy paste, black pepper, tomato puree, dried thyme and oregano, paprika, tinned tomatoes, curry powder, Garam Masala, pasta, arborio rice. long grain rice, sultanas, dried onions, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, olive oil, tomato sauce, worcester sauce etc. and now Guiness sauce.

What do you regard as essentials for a cook box?

that sounds lovely..grteat ingredients,,id take much the same i got a pheasant a couple of weeks ago roadkill it was lovely the kids were looking like i was mad i ate it 4 days later.i love roadkill..such a waste of good honest food

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS