PDA

View Full Version : Food Shopping in France

Kitty13
22-06-2012, 12:25
Hi everyone, hopefully off to France in September and would like to know, what food products you cannot buy in France, that we would get in the U.K.
Also is there an app for Aldi stores to download for tomtom ?
Is there any food products that we can't take with us ?

Thanks Kitty13

Jo001
22-06-2012, 12:27
I don't think the tea tastes the same so we always take plenty of teabags.

Roger Green
22-06-2012, 12:33
We have been going to France for the last 42yrs; we remember the first time, the first day wa, you must speak french, and live like the French. So we drink Coffey, eat chease, drink wine, live like them and before you go. For one week just try to eat French. try the net, eating French. Its just a fantastic place. Have a good time. Roger.:tongue:

jeffscarborough
22-06-2012, 12:35
Marmite, shredded wheat & gingernuts.:have fun:

Rockerboots
22-06-2012, 13:41
We have been going to France for the last 42yrs; we remember the first time, the first day wa, you must speak french, and live like the French. So we drink Coffey, eat chease, drink wine, live like them and before you go. For one week just try to eat French. try the net, eating French. Its just a fantastic place. Have a good time. Roger.:tongue:

It`s ok living like the French but aviod the frogs legs.

They keep kicking the peas off your plate. :lol-049: (old but a good one)

donkey too
22-06-2012, 14:24
The only thing I have withdrawal symptoms from when in France is decent bacon. And as a good Jew I need my bacon sarny.
But why worry? When in Rome (or Paris) do as they do. French food in my estimation is the best in the world. (along with Greek, Turkish, chinese, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.):lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

John H
22-06-2012, 14:39
I agree - when in France, eat French (and when in Spain, eat Spanish etc etc) ..............................................but we do secrete several tubs of marmite in the van when we set off for the winter! :)

GeoffB
22-06-2012, 14:40
We were camping deep in the Vendee a couple of years ago, not near any 'touristy' locations, and called in at a small supermarket in a minor town. We were surprised to see a Union Jack stuck up on the end of one of the racks and went to have a look. Underneath the flag a sign said "English corner" and on display were marmalade, marmite, Heinz baked beans and tinned soups, PG tips tea, spam and several other items. We were amused at the way they must see us (more beans! spam, spam, spam and spam! etc) but quite touched by their enterprise, although we only bought the usual French stuff we love - wine, cheeses, olives, baguette, pains au chocolate, etc.

What irks us though is the way such small places can sell malt whisky at prices well below UK (not their fault - it's our thieving government's fault). That shop sold Abelour cheaper than you could have bought it in Charlestown of Abelour, where it is made - used to live near there.

antiquesam
22-06-2012, 15:00
I'm all for doing as the locals do, but 60 odd years as a tea addict means that I can't start the day without my fix. The French use those pansy teabags with a string on them they put it in a cup of tepid water (not water on top of bag even) and charge more for it than coffee. TAKE TEABAGS.

ellisboy
22-06-2012, 15:33
All the big hypermarkets have an English section,its usually dearer than at home! And they seem to think that we all eat fray bentos tinned pies! :lol-049:

theteapackets
22-06-2012, 16:09
Nice porking sausages - can't quite wrap my head around spicy sausage for breakfast:p

wildman
22-06-2012, 16:46
Marmite, chedder cheese, bacon, baked beans, oxo. Try fromage blanc, it is not quite cheese nore is it butter we used it as a tasty butter with chedder, at around 1 per kilo its very cheap, french and dutch cheese is expencive. Watch out for meat products in a red plastic wrapper, they are horsemeat. Otherwise enjoy.

jelzz
22-06-2012, 17:23
Yep take your own T Bags..
Other than that enjoy the French baguettes, ham, cheese, pate...

Kitty13
22-06-2012, 19:56
Marmite, chedder cheese, bacon, baked beans, oxo. Try fromage blanc, it is not quite cheese nore is it butter we used it as a tasty butter with chedder, at around 1 per kilo its very cheap, french and dutch cheese is expencive. Watch out for meat products in a red plastic wrapper, they are horsemeat. Otherwise enjoy.

Thanx for the warning on horsemeat, really don't like the idea of that :eek:

Mastodon
22-06-2012, 20:10
Yep, take all your own tea, marmite and marmalade and when you park up, shut the curtains and watch watch old Carry On videos... it'll be just like home then. :lol-053:

windyjools
22-06-2012, 20:51
Take.....Teabags, Porridge (if you like it), Marmalade, Bacon, (frozen, or vacuum packed lasts well), Branston pickle to make their cheese taste decent in tour sarnies, and crates of beer, as their beer is rubbish!!!!!!
All this is with my tongue wedged firmly in my cheek as I like French food, but I do miss some things when I'm away!
You can buy all of the above in France, but it is more expensive, so either take it with you, pay the premium there, or eat like a local, above all, try to speak French and ENJOY.

rach82
22-06-2012, 22:42

Is it really horsemeat in a red wrapper??:scared:

Me thinks I will be stearing clear of that!!

Bushtrekker
23-06-2012, 05:11
He and his wife are fully integrated into the community, to the point where she is the only English person on the local council, but when we called in to see them a few years ago they told me about one of the British holiday home owners. Apparently when he goes over he takes a car full of sliced bread for the freezer, because to quote him, you can't get decent bread...'IN FRANCE'????????

The problem with this country is that we've become a nation of supermarket shoppers, with the same things available everywhere, to the point where the current local eating initiatives seem novel. Many people on here will remember when you had to visit several shops, knew individual shopkeepers and shops had an individual odour of whatever they were selling. I spent a large part of my working life showing children and adults where their food came from, cooking from scratch with basic ingredients, grinding grain to make bread etc. and it's amazing how many adults, as wlel as children have no idea.

I'm looking forward to being able to re-live that experience by buying and eating local seasonal produce, so all I'll be taking from here is my cook kit of herbs, spices etc. and teabags for my wife, as I drink coffee, although strangely my favourite Carte Noire is actually made in Germany. Croques Monsieur and Galettes Saucisse are tasty local snacks, so who needs McDonald's apart from for the free wifi?

barryd
23-06-2012, 06:45
We have spent so much time in France I now look at this the other way around and get frustrated with British supermarkets as they don't have the stuff the French have!

Having said that there are a few that spring to mind.

Salad cream
Lemon tea (we currently have 80 jars on board)
Decent bacon
Hot spicy stuff like curry paste or hot chilli flakes

We are in Germany now, left France 2 days ago and won't be back until late August or september and found ourselves stocking up with French favourites, mainly cheese!

Bushtrekker
23-06-2012, 08:11
We have spent so much time in France I now look at this the other way around and get frustrated with British supermarkets as they don't have the stuff the French have!

Salad cream
Decent bacon

We are in Germany now, left France 2 days ago and won't be back until late August or september and found ourselves stocking up with French favourites, mainly cheese!

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy lemons en route and make the real stuff?

Lee
23-06-2012, 09:16
If you like orange squash and the like we havn't found it in France and they don't have double and single cream like we have, it tends to be long life cream.
But I always think that when in Rome do as the romans do and eat native.

vwalan
23-06-2012, 09:48
orange squash is in most super markets very often in tall tins called sirop. its not cheap but far nicer than uk squash. we used to bring it back by the case when my kids were younger.

Bushtrekker
23-06-2012, 10:30
I always think that when in Rome do as the romans do ... Including orgies? Wolfs nipple chips are difficult to get these days:)

BambiOwner
23-06-2012, 12:49
When in France you should just do what the french do eat what they eat and drink what they drink forget about the UK for while you are there and just have a great time.:dance:

wildman
23-06-2012, 22:16
Is it really horsemeat in a red wrapper??:scared:

Me thinks I will be stearing clear of that!!
yup often marked Chavel - Horse

vwalan
23-06-2012, 22:18
nothing wrong with eating horse. its ok. you have to try it else you will never know.

wildman
23-06-2012, 22:18
If you like orange squash and the like we havn't found it in France and they don't have double and single cream like we have, it tends to be long life cream.
But I always think that when in Rome do as the romans do and eat native.
back to the orgies I see:lol-053:
:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

rach82
24-06-2012, 01:06
nothing wrong with eating horse. its ok. you have to try it else you will never know.

Sorry I couldnt - I have two ponies, Pixie & Rhys, I am a life long horse and dog lover, I just couldnt do it!

I do eat meat, but for me horses and dogs are a no go:cry:

vwalan
24-06-2012, 10:34
yes i realise for some it isnt the thing .we took a dog on our travels around africa .we always said if things got tough we might have to eat the dog.
as it is you just buy 12 chickens in a market .get a wire cage that fits on the roofrack .when you stop let them out chuck ahandfull of food on the ground they dont fly/run away .every few days you have fresh meat.
when i left school i was butcher /slaughterman so its not a problem for me .
some just go around eating defensless plants and things .hee hee.

Kitty13
24-06-2012, 14:47

Salad cream
Decent bacon

My other half enquires do the French have proper Indian resturants ? As he must get his weekly fix :rolleyes2:

Mastodon
24-06-2012, 19:30
But I always think that when in Rome do as the romans do and eat native.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about eating natives... think I'll stick with dogs and horses

Hughman
24-06-2012, 19:37
You'll be lucky to find any Indian restaurant much outside Paris - they don't have the colonial history and connections we have here. Take spices and a grinder.
Also as others have said, teabags (Earl Grey in my case) and bacon.

Just about everything else is better and often cheaper than here, and the cheap wine and beer mean you'll soon feel no pain anyway :tongue:

Have a good time - France is great.

Kitty13
25-06-2012, 09:49
You'll be lucky to find any Indian restaurant much outside Paris - they don't have the colonial history and connections we have here. Take spices and a grinder.
Also as others have said, teabags (Earl Grey in my case) and bacon.

Just about everything else is better and often cheaper than here, and the cheap wine and beer mean you'll soon feel no pain anyway :tongue:

Have a good time - France is great.

Oh dear other half is not going to amused at not getting his weekly fix :rolleyes2:. Heard the wine is good, but apparently the beer is dodgy. :( Teabags and bacon are on the top of my list :tongue:

antiquesam
25-06-2012, 10:29
If you can get by with German beer use the local Lidl, every town, however small, has one.

markin
18-07-2012, 01:25
Foreign Cornflakes are :( soggy, inedible crap.

Mind you, the upside of this was I got hooked on croissants and black coffee for breakfast instead.:tongue:

vwalan
18-07-2012, 08:45
hi, for cornflakes use lidl. i think they are called little man flakes .as good as uk versions .

jamesmarshall
18-07-2012, 09:02
All the big hypermarkets have an English section,its usually dearer than at home! And they seem to think that we all eat fray bentos tinned pies! :lol-049:

I like Fray Bentos tinned pies. They are a perfect size for making a pie in a pie in a pie. I like pies. I'm from oop north

MORGANTHEMOON
18-07-2012, 09:09
Thanx for the warning on horsemeat, really don't like the idea of that :eek:

Nothing wrong with eating "viande de cheval"

It's all in the mind.

Sparks
18-07-2012, 09:21
Post deleted

MATS
18-07-2012, 09:38
I think the milk tastes better in the UK - but we just take Daisy with us (Strap her to roof rack) and we have had no problems.

concordpilot
18-07-2012, 17:36
I agree with all of the above ... but adding English Mustard !!

jennyp19
18-07-2012, 18:21
An odd one here, but if you have false gnashers, sterident and the like are very very expensive as are all shampoos etc & you cannot buy things like Ibuprofen, paracetamols or things like alka seltzers in supermarkets only in Chemists who can then charge a lot for them.

Bushtrekker
18-07-2012, 20:42
the hunting gear (including ammunition). It's all very strange and I love it.
.[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed that, but did notice a wide range of pepper sprays in Dieppe. We don't eat much canned food at home, but stocked up for thr days when we couldn't pick up fresh food for various reasons. Now we are re-stocking with stuff from French supermarkets and I have to say the Coq au Vin out of a jar we had tonight was very nice. For the benefit of anyone about to depart, the colour codes on milk are different and whilst red in the UK is skimmed, in France it's full cream....real milk.

bigjimdsmith
18-07-2012, 20:54
I have a confession to make. While the wife may enjoy spending everyday turning brown on the beach, I much prefer spending a few hours (yes literally) in a large French hypermarket.
I read all the labels, I spend an age in the hardware/motoring section (I've been known to cause alarm due to staring at the electrical plugs, sockets and switches long enough to be mistaken for someone in a standing coma). I'll buy food that sometimes I haven't a clue what it is, and later regretting it (tinned cream and condensed milk is easily confused). The cycle section has it's attractions, and nearby the fishing equipment, the pool accessories, the hunting gear (including ammunition). It's all very strange and I love it.

If I tell the wife I'm making some sandwiches and a flask she knows I intend going to Carrefour for a while.

A man after my own heart:dance:

Sparks
19-07-2012, 23:07
Post deleted

trishandtez
20-07-2012, 09:37
ANOTHER THING i WAS surprised at was nicotine lozenges, Tez is addicted to them and has been on them for 10 years and no cajoling from me will get him off them, they are around 25 a packet over in France and he pays around 8 here, we stocked up on 10 packets when we went last year but he got through them as we were there 10 weeks and had to buy more over there,still better and healthier than smoking i suppose but Susie's the yorkie eye drops were cheaper in a chemist, once we found out through the language barrier what I needed!!

vwalan
20-07-2012, 12:18
takes a few trips but after awhile you learn what to buy in uk ,france ,spain etc . taking and returning with things from other countries is a great idea. as you open that packet from france you remember the fun you had , etc etc . amazingly some things are cheaper there but made here yet things made packed there can be cheaper here . uk can be a cheap place sometimes .

MORGANTHEMOON
20-07-2012, 12:40
I have a confession to make. While the wife may enjoy spending everyday turning brown on the beach, I much prefer spending a few hours (yes literally) in a large French hypermarket.
I read all the labels, I spend an age in the hardware/motoring section (I've been known to cause alarm due to staring at the electrical plugs, sockets and switches long enough to be mistaken for someone in a standing coma). I'll buy food that sometimes I haven't a clue what it is, and later regretting it (tinned cream and condensed milk is easily confused). The cycle section has it's attractions, and nearby the fishing equipment, the pool accessories, the hunting gear (including ammunition). It's all very strange and I love it.

If I tell the wife I'm making some sandwiches and a flask she knows I intend going to Carrefour for a while.

Yes me too, I love looking through the wine and selecting single bottles to take back to the van to try out before buying more.
I spend a good hour in the wine section.

But I love to meander through all the other sections also.

Deezy
21-07-2012, 16:18
We could only get porridge from some L'Eclercs - also Marmite /Vegemite - and strong Cheddar cheese. We were in France for 6 weeks and the cheese there is fantastic but I had a desperate urge for some Cheddar!

John H
21-07-2012, 16:26
We could only get porridge from some L'Eclercs - also Marmite /Vegemite - and strong Cheddar cheese. We were in France for 6 weeks and the cheese there is fantastic but I had a desperate urge for some Cheddar!

I know what you mean about the Cheddar - we have resorted to getting our daughter to mail some out in the past! But have you tried the Cantal Entre Deux? Not a bad alternative (in fact a very good one). Bon apetit.

vwalan
21-07-2012, 16:58
yes chedder is very important .buy it in the half kilo vacum pacs keeps for months even with out a fridge .leave it somewhere cool . i take about 8 kilo when heading to maroc in winter . i eat other cheese but love chedder best one for cooking with.so adaptable.
also take lots of bacon .again small vacum packed bacon can be kept with out a fridge . take lots .never run out . mmmm.

Kitty13
22-07-2012, 16:03
How about salad, any recommendations :tongue: or ones to avoid :( . Does France have Weight Watchers food ??

vwalan
22-07-2012, 16:20
salads are available most places .sometimes you cant get lettuce in morocco .but use green peppers chopped up in stead.
as for weight watchers dont know ,but i dare say something like it . many things are there but a few little treats are nice .
there are things abroad we dont readily have here so find what you like and bring them back with you.

Sparks
22-07-2012, 17:22
Post deleted

ellisboy
22-07-2012, 18:55
Nice salad ingredients to be found in France especially at local markets :tongue:

Dollydaydream
02-08-2012, 19:34
anything you normally DON'T eat at home, you will fancy... desperately. but for me, peanut butter, pork pies, heinz baked beans. Can't remember the last time I had pork pies but when I had some brought to me in France I ate the whole pack of six... in one evening. mad.

Skar
04-08-2012, 14:06
Just back from France and what was a great success for us was our Moule pan purchased at Auchan, a litre of Moule for a couple of quid and ten minutes in the kitchen, great lunch or starter...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS