PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown cover?

runnach
22-06-2012, 17:57
Advice please, on what companies are worthwhile looking at for yearly UK cover, with a view to expanding to euro cover next year???

Thanks..............

n brown
22-06-2012, 18:16
quality or quantity?i got brit and european from qwikfit for 58 or 68 quid

runnach
22-06-2012, 18:27
Breakdown cover will no doubt be similar to vehicle cover, vary greatly.

Just a general consensus at the moment?

Cheers.

keithhep
22-06-2012, 19:01
The largest in Europe is ADAC, covers all of Europe and the North African countries. Costs about 70 depending on exchange rate and has many other benefits including up to 7.5 tons for MH's.

Has to be applied for on German web site but they have English speaking staff if you wish to speak to someone.

The membership in ADAC (http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx?quer=mitgliedschaft_leistungen%2fmitg liedschaftstarife%2fmembership%2fdefault.asp&TL=2)

landydriver
22-06-2012, 19:56

lewislewis
03-07-2012, 12:02
Just joined ADAC, starts on 1st July....

Sent an email saying..
Guten Tag
Can I join ADAC by email? How do I pay?
I would like ADAC single Plusmembership
Start Date - 01 July 2012
Name and address.

Next day got an email back, in german, but translates ok with google. More or less says heres your membership no. It will cost 83,50 EUR, send back form with credit card details or fax them.

Faxed back today, easy peasy so far :)

Just joined ADAC. I called them on 0049 941 55673 and asked for Barbara Lorenz ( apparently she speaks very good English). A non-English lady took my number in the UK and five minutes later a guy called Martin Tremmel called me back and soon after, I'd joined ADAC for 79 euros. The cover is really comprehensive and because it includes the UK (I think their partner is the AA!) it is very good value for money. I'm picking up my first motorhome tomorrow morning and of course I hope it doesn't breakdown on the way home - but if it does I have my new membership number and the central breakdown number. Amazingly, they didn't want paying until I receive my membership package and am happy with it. Very impressed (so far...)

runnach
03-07-2012, 13:06
To be honest, I've not done anything yet due to being busy, but this ADAC look a good option, out of curiousity, does coer extend to our personal cars too, or specific to vehicle reg no??

antiquesam
03-07-2012, 17:34
Tried to read the conditions but couldn't get a translation, does it have a vehicle age restriction?

Northerner
03-07-2012, 17:53
To be honest, I've not done anything yet due to being busy, but this ADAC look a good option, out of curiousity, does coer extend to our personal cars too, or specific to vehicle reg no??

I've been with the ADAC for some time and find them superb. I had to call them out once and the service was very quick. The cover is for you, not for the vehicle. As I have the family package both my wife and I are also covered when we drive our private cars.

Another advantage is that it covers the U.K. Many European breakdown policies are just for mainland Europe and you are not covered here at home. ADAC also has much more generous size conditions. Many policies have a height restriction of 3 metres. A satellite dome can put many 'vans over this limit. ADAC has a height limit of (if memory serves) at least 3.2 or possibly 3.4 metres. All in all, in my opinion, having done a lot of research in the past, the best overall package available.

My latest renewal bill was about €80. One word of warning, if you ever wish to cancel you must give them three months' notice. It's no good just letting it expire as they'll charge your credit card again. It's all in the T & Cs but does catch out some people who try to cancel a couple of weeks before the end of the policy term.

Northerner
03-07-2012, 17:54
Tried to read the conditions but couldn't get a translation, does it have a vehicle age restriction?

There is no age limit on the vehicle.

nomad-col
03-07-2012, 17:57

ADAC cover is for you in any vehicle.

Colin

runnach
03-07-2012, 19:06
I've been with the ADAC for some time and find them superb. I had to call them out once and the service was very quick. The cover is for you, not for the vehicle. As I have the family package both my wife and I are also covered when we drive our private cars.

Another advantage is that it covers the U.K. Many European breakdown policies are just for mainland Europe and you are not covered here at home. ADAC also has much more generous size conditions. Many policies have a height restriction of 3 metres. A satellite dome can put many 'vans over this limit. ADAC has a height limit of (if memory serves) at least 3.2 or possibly 3.4 metres. All in all, in my opinion, having done a lot of research in the past, the best overall package available.

My latest renewal bill was about 80. One word of warning, if you ever wish to cancel you must give them three months' notice. It's no good just letting it expire as they'll charge your credit card again. It's all in the T & Cs but does catch out some people who try to cancel a couple of weeks before the end of the policy term.

Brilliant, me, not the vehicle that is covered. I have a Euro account in France, with cheque book here at home, I'll pay via cheque, instead of CC.

Regards.

Canalsman
05-07-2012, 12:31

My latest renewal bill was about 80. One word of warning, if you ever wish to cancel you must give them three months' notice. It's no good just letting it expire as they'll charge your credit card again. It's all in the T & Cs but does catch out some people who try to cancel a couple of weeks before the end of the policy term.

Sounds good - just had my RAC renewal through for 158 for the next year.

Did you find an English version of the terms & condtions anywhere?

Does it include anything beyond roadside repair plus recovery if needed?

Chris

Canalsman
05-07-2012, 13:33
Just found this on t'internet

http://www.walsh-adac.com/plusterms.pdf

Northerner
05-07-2012, 14:17
The basic 'Plus' membership covers you and your partner and costs 79.50. As far as I can ascertain this is a pretty comprehensive breakdown cove package for any country in Europe and even places such as Morocco. In the UK you'll probably find that it's the AA that turns out if you breakdown, as ADAC subcontracts its services to local organisations.

It does work as I have found and there are no snags. When I had a puncture in France a local garage was with me in less than half an hour. They changed the wheel and asked me if I'd like the flat tyre repairing. I told them to do this and followed the man to his garage where he repaired they the tyre and then put it back on the axle so that my new spare could go back in the 'van's garage. There was no charge for the ADAC service, just a few Euro for the repair.

There is a slightly more expensive package for 99. This is called Partner Plus and includes such things as emergency transport if you're injured and legal protection in case of an accident with serious implications.

ADAC's web site translates quite well on Google.

Canalsman
05-07-2012, 14:30
Just looked here The membership in ADAC (http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/)

My interpretation is that the 79.50 fee is for one person only Plus cover, and the 98.70 fee is for one person plus partner/wife ...

Do you agree?

fairytooth
05-07-2012, 14:30
...... and covers any vehicle. AA are their agents in UK (the same company that you can't get large vehicle breakdown cover from direct!)

fairytooth
05-07-2012, 14:32
Just looked here The membership in ADAC (http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/)

My interpretation is that the 79.50 fee is for one person only Plus cover, and the 98.70 fee is for one person plus partner/wife ...

Do you agree?

Yes that sounds right.

Northerner
05-07-2012, 15:18
ADAC Plus at €79.50 covers the whole family. There is an even cheaper package just for two people at only €60.60 a year. A single Classic membership is only €44.50. There is no single-person Plus membership, presumably as the whole point of the Plus membership is that it's a family package.

There is a more comprehensive package called Partner Plus, which includes a few other extras. The Partner in this designation does not, as far as I can see, mean your partner, but services offered by ADAC's partners in the various countries in which they operate.

Just to be certain I've emailed ADAC to confirm that my ADAC Plus package at €79.50 does include my wife although I was assured when I took it out that it did.

Canalsman
05-07-2012, 15:29
The weblink given above makes it clear that the cheaper option is 'Primary Member', and the dearer option 'Primary Member and Partner Member'.

It seems reasonable to charge more for an extra person covered.

If you follow their 'membership advisor' questionnaire, it asks if you have a partner, and then recommends the dearer cover option.

Russtic
05-07-2012, 15:39
I'm already a member of the RAC and was quoted an extra 150 for a month in europe, ADAC sounds good but must be for 12 months does anyone know of a cheaper cover that will cover me just for the month?

Canalsman
05-07-2012, 15:42
In addition to my 158 renewal, I also have to belong to the Camping & Caravanning Club in order to get Arrival motorhome cover. So 200 or so all told.

ADAC is the way to go.

Northerner
05-07-2012, 15:55
I am assured by ADAC, as I was originally, that my wife is covered if driving her car. However, it's very complicated as, with the €79.50 package, you only get one plastic card, which implies that if she has my card I won't be covered if I break down without the card because I've given it to her!

However, they have said that they are quite happy to send her a paper card so that she can be totally covered at the same time as me!

It appears that all the extra €19 Euro gets is an extra plastic card for your wife, which isn't essential as they're happy to supply a paper one if you ask!

I repeat though, that their basic Classic package for just one person is only €44.50 and you can add another person for another €16. The difference between this two-person package and the Plus package is that the Plus is not just your partner, but your whole family.

To sum up: I was assured by ADAC when I took out my €79.50 Plus package, that it also covered my wife and they have now confirmed it, albeit with the plastic card oddity.

nomad-col
05-07-2012, 17:55
I dont think that its general knowledge but the ADAC also provide health insurance with worldwide cover for trips up to 49 days. The cost for this for under 65 year olds is 18.30 and over for 65's its 36.60. The oldest you can be to join is 75 but then the cover is available indefinately. I say 65 for the age limit of 18.30 but it may be 69.
Also if you join at the 18.30 rate that continues indefinitely at the same cost. The cover is for the Plus member and their dependant family.Again as with the Partner package its necessary to cancel membership by giving notice.
I hope that this is of help
Colin

keithhep
06-07-2012, 08:29
Below is a link to a translation of ADAC T & C.

The link takes you to my Dropbox where you can see the file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37258400/ADAC%20Handbook%20with%20Conditions%20PDF%20%282%2 9.doc

AS an aside this is a very useful programme I use that stores your files on line so you can recover them at any time and from any computer, found it quite useful having 2 PC's to work from. You get 250MB to start with but you can earn or buy more

If this could be useful to you you can join here: http://db.tt/dvJW2tu

Northerner
06-07-2012, 09:38
Below is a link to a translation of ADAC T & C.

The link takes you to my Dropbox where you can see the file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37258400/ADAC%20Handbook%20with%20Conditions%20PDF%20%282%2 9.doc

AS an aside this is a very useful programme I use that stores your files on line so you can recover them at any time and from any computer, found it quite useful having 2 PC's to work from. You get 250MB to start with but you can earn or buy more

If this could be useful to you you can join here: http://db.tt/dvJW2tu

250 MB? Look at Google Drive. Five gigabytes of free storage and my two computers synchronise with it automatically, so there's no need to drop anything in boxes! For images I use Picasa which is the same thing.

Canalsman
10-07-2012, 12:46
Today I received by email an English brochure from ADAC :)

This (finally) fully explains the different cover options and includes the current application form.

Northerner is correct about the Plus package covering partner and children.

The files are too big to upload as an attachment, so if anyone wants a copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Canalsman
10-07-2012, 13:33
Just cancelled my RAC membership, from the end of this month, and filled out the ADAC application.

ADAC membership 79.50 - say 66.

RAC membership 153 plus C&CC subs 40.

Saving - 127 :)

Canalsman
11-07-2012, 11:08
I have just joined ADAC :)

Yesterday I emailed Amanda.Moser-Wickles@sby.adac.de and today a man who speaks good English called me to complete the application.

Very straightforward, and you can pay by credit or debit card.

rottytara2004
11-07-2012, 19:15
Joined Adac last week........brilliant. Just to say they never gave us the option to pay by credit card/debit card - this would have simplified everything. When we went to the bank with all their details - they sent from Germany within 4 days, the only thing that confused us with the payment was a reference number. This was not given on the Iban/swift info, after another phone call...... they told us the reference number is your membership number. Just adding my bit in case anyone else pays via the bank. Other than that very good value for money being a Plus member

Patricia

northernspirit2001
17-07-2012, 12:24
I'm going to try MOTORHOME BREAKDOWN COVER |ROADSIDE | RECOVERY | CHEAP |EUROPEAN (http://www.motorhomebreakdowncover.co.uk/) 135 for 3 years relay recovery home uk and europe (or 69 one year) no age limit and up to 26 foot. Only drawback i can see is no cover for lost keys or misfuelling

bigjimdsmith
17-07-2012, 12:53
That looks to be very good value. Does anyone know if it covers a partner too

bigjimdsmith
17-07-2012, 13:17
I've read more on the service provider site. The cover is for an identified vehicle - any driver - but not other vehicles unless prior registration. Still good value but depends on your usages. Great for a family/shared campern perhaps

deanjo
17-07-2012, 18:17
Joined Adac last week........brilliant. Just to say they never gave us the option to pay by credit card/debit card - this would have simplified everything. When we went to the bank with all their details - they sent from Germany within 4 days, the only thing that confused us with the payment was a reference number. This was not given on the Iban/swift info, after another phone call...... they told us the reference number is your membership number. Just adding my bit in case anyone else pays via the bank. Other than that very good value for money being a Plus member

Patricia

I used the email shown in canalsmans post.
I emailed them on sunday night,giving them all my details and my mobile number..A lady called Barbera Lorenz phoned me yesterday afternoon and within 2 minutes i was a member,she took my credit card details and that was that,no messing ,no fuss..
I gave all my details,name,address,D.O.B in the email because this saved time doing it over the phone,Barbera just ran thru the details to confirm...I made adac aware i was going away in the near future so was given all the emergency contact numbers (all two of them) during the conversation...Barbera then phoned me back 10 mins later with my membership number..

Canalsman
19-07-2012, 12:51
I have just joined ADAC :)

Yesterday I emailed Amanda.Moser-Wickles@sby.adac.de and today a man who speaks good English called me to complete the application.

Very straightforward, and you can pay by credit or debit card.

I received my membership card and booklet today.

There isn't a UK number on the booklet to call.

This is the number you need to use - I have written it on the reverse side of my card.

0800 028 9018

This will connect you to the AA European Breakdown Service who manage things on behalf of ADAC in the UK.

As an aside, do you know that you can call 0800 numbers from an Android phone within your call allowance? Try the 0800 Wizard app - free download from Google Play.

groyne
19-07-2012, 14:18
oined Adac last week........brilliant. Just to say they never gave us the option to pay by credit card/debit card - this would have simplified everything. When we went to the bank with all their details - they sent from Germany within 4 days, the only thing that confused us with the payment was a reference number. This was not given on the Iban/swift info, after another phone call...... they told us the reference number is your membership number. Just adding my bit in case anyone else pays via the bank. Other than that very good value for money being a Plus member

Patricia

I joined ADAC the other week and paid by credit card over the phone, no problem.

As an aside, do you know that you can call 0800 numbers from an Android phone within your call allowance? Try the 0800 Wizard app - free download from Google Play.

I like that.

bigjimdsmith
27-07-2012, 12:08
Just joined over the phone using the "Barbara" name and number on earlier thread. 1st class response, awaiting call back with a membership number. My renewal for AA was going to be over 200 for joint membership and a 5 day trip to Germany last month cost >60 for Euro cover. No contest, after over 30 years it was time to go!!! (They did offer serious discounts to stay but I plan on more trips to Europe anyway).

My Elnagh left hooker already has an ADAC sticker on it from its earlier life in German. Cheers

deanjo
27-07-2012, 19:11
nice one bigjim,it took about a week for the membership cards to come through the post..

james pond
27-07-2012, 21:21
reading thru the ADAC thread, their insurance is a bargain apparently ; are the prices people quoting for a whole years cover like with yer ordinary car, or a specific period while on holiday, we were expecting 300 to 400 for our newly aquired ancient talbot.

Northerner
28-07-2012, 11:30
reading thru the ADAC thread, their insurance is a bargain apparently ; are the prices people quoting for a whole years cover like with yer ordinary car, or a specific period while on holiday, we were expecting 300 to 400 for our newly aquired ancient talbot.

All year and it covers you in the UK as well. It really is easy to set up. One phone call and ask for an English speaker and have your credit card ready. I don't think there's a vehicle age limit but tell them exactly what 'van you have and its age, size and weight. You can confirm it all by email, when I did it they preferred that as there's less chance of a translation error.

If you read this thread and search on ADAC, there's a lot on this site that will answer your questions.

Kontiki
28-07-2012, 16:34
I am in my second year with ADAC, had to email them details & signature for my credit card payment as it seems you can't set it up as a direct debit from the UK. I was a bit confused & asked about the 'Partner Plus' compared to just the 'Plus' package & was told that it probably wouldn't give me anything useful extra, my 'Plus' membership covers both me & the wife what ever vehicle we are driving. They also have helicopter air ambulances in Europe that will in the event of a medical emergency get you to help, they don't cover the cost of any medical treatment needed. Other extra bits they have are a free translation telephone service.

I have never need to use them but have met a few who have & they had positive comments.

james pond
28-07-2012, 21:26
lots of people seem very happy with ADAC ; cant quite figure out though whether its just holiday insurance like you get when going on a pakage jobby ; PACKAGE !! , sorry bout the language ; or is it regular car insurance like you would get from churchill , direct ect. or just breakdown like wot i got from AA, sorry to seem a tad thick, either way its good value. anyone care to clarify ?

deanjo
28-07-2012, 21:35
its breakdown cover.like the AA except it covers you for all over europe and up to 10m in length for motorhomes..you can use it at home here in the uk just like you would the AA.also included is accident and illness cover*(in the respect that they'll get you and the vehicle home,pets aswell.)...the breakdown cover is why i got it,they rest is just a bonus.it is not holiday insurance...the policy i've got is for me and my wife and cost 79euros..
lots of people seem very happy with ADAC ; cant quite figure out though whether its just holiday insurance like you get when going on a pakage jobby ; PACKAGE !! , sorry bout the language ; or is it regular car insurance like you would get from churchill , direct ect. sorry to seem a tad thick, either way its good value. anyone care to clarify ?

runnach
29-07-2012, 21:33
I repeat though, that their basic Classic package for just one person is only €44.50 and you can add another person for another €16. The difference between this two-person package and the Plus package is that the Plus is not just your partner, but your whole family.

I have been looking into joining this evening, I need a little clarification though.

"Classic package" is this, this one below?

ADAC PartnerPackage membership (primary and partner member)
(Primary and partner member)
Annual fee: 60,60 €

We only require cover for both of us only, hence no requirement "Plus Package". I assume T&C's are same, except of course, whole family cover??

Partner Package info is German Pdf.

Thanks in advance....

james pond
29-07-2012, 21:36
cheers deanjo, figured it was , but thought i'd better check. its not much more than i pay now so looks like i'll be going with them, thanks again.

Northerner
29-07-2012, 22:03
I have been looking into joining this evening, I need a little clarification though.

"Classic package" is this, this one below?

ADAC PartnerPackage membership (primary and partner member)
(Primary and partner member)
Annual fee: 60,60

We only require cover for both of us only, hence no requirement "Plus Package". I assume T&C's are same, except of course, whole family cover??

Partner Package info is German Pdf.

Thanks in advance....

Plus membership provides full costs for a recovery of your car or motorhome back to your home town, if it cannot be repaired within three working days.

If you get a recovery of your 'van they pay the cost of passengers being repatriated. They pay the train tickets first class or air tickets in economy class or a rental car for 7 days.

Plus also covers both you and your spouse driving any car, yours or anyone else's or as a passenger in someone's car all over Europe including the UK.

I don't think that the Classic version offers all these benefits and for the extra twenty Euro on what is already a superb deal I'm not taking the risk of having the cheaper one. If you're prepared to examine the T & Cs in minute detail and compare it, it will be interesting to see exactly what the differences are but personally I can't be bothered!

runnach
29-07-2012, 22:10
Thanks for reply, plus it will be and, as you state, for an extra 20 euro peace of mind, lost more out my pockets running for a bus!

Regards..............

Canalsman
29-07-2012, 23:52
The Classic option provides cover only in Germany.

To extend that worldwide you have to take the Plus package.

I have the English brochure that provides all the details, but it's too big to post as an attachment.

If you'd like to provide an email address, I can send it to you - as a free member you can't use Private Messages, so use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page and ask Phil to provide me with your email address.

Regards

Chris

runnach
30-07-2012, 05:23
The Classic option provides cover only in Germany.

To extend that worldwide you have to take the Plus package.

I have the English brochure that provides all the details, but it's too big to post as an attachment.

If you'd like to provide an email address, I can send it to you - as a free member you can't use Private Messages, so use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page and ask Phil to provide me with your email address.

Regards

Chris

t1748 at hotmail dot com

Thanks.

Canalsman
30-07-2012, 10:57
t1748 at hotmail dot com

Thanks.

Sent :)

Regards

Chris

Shockingdog
20-08-2012, 17:51
Just joined ADAC, starts on 1st July....

Sent an email saying..
Guten Tag
Can I join ADAC by email? How do I pay?
I would like ADAC single Plusmembership
Start Date - 01 July 2012
Name and address.

Next day got an email back, in german, but translates ok with google. More or less says heres your membership no. It will cost 83,50 EUR, send back form with credit card details or fax them.

Faxed back today, easy peasy so far :)

Hi I have been trying to get a reply from ADAC but no luck.May I please ask what email address did you use to contact them ??
Thanks

Canalsman
20-08-2012, 18:10
The one that I gave above ...

Amanda.Moser-Wickles@sby.adac.de

bigjimdsmith
20-08-2012, 19:08
As the emailaddress is a persons direct one perhaps they are on holiday. On one of these threads is a phone number for an agent - her name is Angela I think. I used that route to membership last month. Good luck.

oldpolicehouse
16-10-2012, 13:43
I received my membership card and booklet today.

There isn't a UK number on the booklet to call.

This is the number you need to use - I have written it on the reverse side of my card.

0800 028 9018

This will connect you to the AA European Breakdown Service who manage things on behalf of ADAC in the UK.

Hello

Tried this number and was told they could not validate ADAC membership and you have to ring the number on your membership card in Germany.
Also I was in the ADAC office in Wurzburg a couple of weeks ago and was told by an assistant who spoke perfect English the membership at 79e only covers one member.The 98e membership covers you and your partner driving any vehicle.You are issued with 2 membership cards. The cards are attached to 2 separate invoices 1 for 79.50 for the primary member and for for Frau 19.20
I've had experience of ADAC breakdown service in Germany and Italy and found the service was excellent.
I think at 98e to cover both of us driving the motorhome, me driving my private car , my wife driving her private car and me riding my motorcycle and occasionally my sons old banger its a bargain.

Blue Skies

Canalsman
16-10-2012, 14:03
Tried this number and was told they could not validate ADAC membership and you have to ring the number on your membership card in Germany.

Also I was in the ADAC office in Wurzburg a couple of weeks ago and was told by an assistant who spoke perfect English the membership at 79e only covers one member.The 98e membership covers you and your partner driving any vehicle.You are issued with 2 membership cards. The cards are attached to 2 separate invoices 1 for 79.50 for the primary member and for for Frau 19.20

The 0800 number for the UK is quoted in a document provided by ADAC, so that's a puzzle.

I will email them and ask.

You have been misadvised about which membership package you need.

The following is copied direct from the English membership details leaflet, and was confirmed on the phone when I joined.

ADAC Plus membership

all benefits of the classic ADAC membership
conventional benefits also abroad: breakdown and accident protection in Europe
additional strong benefits: medical and vehicle repatriation, provision of a rental car, onward travel by air or rail
valuable safety for your partner and family: all ADACPlus benefits and services for yourself, your partner and underage children

Only €79.50 per year

The Plus partner package adds benefits provided by ADAC partners:

your added advantage: ADAC en-route cover, a combination of three insurances: accident emergency benefits, travel contract legal expenses cover and international travel liability cover (not valid for motor third party liability claims)

Incidentally, I was sent two membership cards - one plastic, one paper (which was marked for use by my partner).

Callanish
16-10-2012, 16:02
The membership in ADAC (http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx)

And they are typically German- first class service.I currently have RAC because it was 'free' with my NFU van policy but i still have ADAC and would recommend them to anyone.

spigot
16-10-2012, 16:59
I have been with the AA for over 50 years and am thinking of jacking it in. Am seriously thinking about ADAC but need clarification on one point, with the AA I have the Relay option, where, if you break down they transport you & your vehicle to your home or a garage of your choice,
Does ADAC have this facility?

Canalsman
16-10-2012, 17:38
I have been with the AA for over 50 years and am thinking of jacking it in. Am seriously thinking about ADAC but need clarification on one point, with the AA I have the Relay option, where, if you break down they transport you & your vehicle to your home or a garage of your choice,
Does ADAC have this facility?

Absolutely! And lots more besides. It's a fabulous service.

If you'd like to PM me with your email address, I'll send you the ADAC English language membership leaflet plus terms and conditions.

oldpolicehouse
16-10-2012, 19:21
The 0800 number for the UK is quoted in a document provided by ADAC, so that's a puzzle.

I will email them and ask.

You have been misadvised about which membership package you need.

The following is copied direct from the English membership details leaflet, and was confirmed on the phone when I joined.

ADAC Plus membership

all benefits of the classic ADAC membership
conventional benefits also abroad: breakdown and accident protection in Europe
additional strong benefits: medical and vehicle repatriation, provision of a rental car, onward travel by air or rail
valuable safety for your partner and family: all ADACPlus benefits and services for yourself, your partner and underage children

Only 79.50 per year

The Plus partner package adds benefits provided by ADAC partners:

your added advantage: ADAC en-route cover, a combination of three insurances: accident emergency benefits, travel contract legal expenses cover and international travel liability cover (not valid for motor third party liability claims)

Incidentally, I was sent two membership cards - one plastic, one paper (which was marked for use by my partner).
Another puzzle is why did you get one plastic card and one paper card.
We got two plastic cards with both our names on and different membership numbers.
Still a bargain.

Blue Skies

FULL TIMER
16-10-2012, 22:43
before taking out adac, I'am sure there was a thread on another forum might have been "fun" about this and I think it came out that despite some of the wording that there was actually a 200 euro limit on recovery ( I think that was the amount) now I don't think you would get recovered from the EU to UK with that limit, more like the nearest garage. I'm sure someone came right unstuck

Canalsman
16-10-2012, 23:22
Another puzzle is why did you get one plastic card and one paper card.
We got two plastic cards with both our names on and different membership numbers.
Still a bargain.

Blue Skies

Just to confirm, the ADACPlus is all you need:

The ADACPlus membership protects you as a member, your spouse/partner and
your minor children regardless of whether you travel together or separately.

Canalsman
16-10-2012, 23:57
before taking out adac, I'am sure there was a thread on another forum might have been "fun" about this and I think it came out that despite some of the wording that there was actually a 200 euro limit on recovery ( I think that was the amount) now I don't think you would get recovered from the EU to UK with that limit, more like the nearest garage. I'm sure someone came right unstuck

The 200€ limit only applies to 'breakdown and accident assistance at the roadside' and 'towing following breakdown or accident to the nearest suitable garage'.

However, if because of a breakdown or an accident the vehicle can no longer be driven, it will be recovered provided the the damage is assessed by a garage. There are no limits as far as I can determine, and this is confirmed by the ADAC leaflet. They also pay for travel expenses etc.

From their leaflet:

Valuable advantages.

Besides giving you peace of mind, an ADACPlus membership helps you save money: Whether your vehicle needs to be
hauled back home or whether you need to hire a replacement car – ADAC will help you avoid expensive surprises.

“Getting our vehicle towed, Hotel accommodation, the return trip by train and having our vehicle hauled back home – everything
would have cost us over €2,000 but if you have an ADACPlus membership, you are covered.”

Vehicle breakdown in Spain.

Christian W. is not the only one suffering under the July heat in Barcelona. For his car, the trip to Spain was enough of a challenge
– it breaks down completely on the return leg.

Prima facie, this may have spelled disaster, but after calling the ADAC international assistance centre, it turned into a cloud with
a silver lining. Competent call-takers have his car towed to the nearest garage.

The injection pump is broken and cannot be repaired on the spot, and so the Yellow Angels take care of vehicle repatriation to the
home workshop in Recklinghausen and book the whole family into a hotel. The next morning, railway tickets for the return trip
are awaiting them at the reception. “

Canalsman
19-10-2012, 20:29
I've had a reply from ADAC.

They have confirmed that you need to call Germany:

'If you have an accident or a breakdown you can call 0049 (89) 22 22 22'

It's worth noting that you can reclaim the call cost provided you can prove the cost.

SkegnessSue
23-10-2012, 01:42
Read this thread before you commit yourself to ADAC Breakdown Cover: http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-126115-days0-orderasc-0.html

Sue

dave and mary
23-10-2012, 08:39
9134unfortunately we have broken down in Europe twice, and all i can say is the service we got from the AA was first class. After being taken to a garage on a truck and being told it would be a 2 day job. The AA sent a taxi complete with interpreter and took us to a hotel, in 2 days the repair was done, again a taxi with interpreter picked us up and reunited us with our van. Weather we were just lucky but you can only speak from experience, and for us the AA were great

zipnolan
23-10-2012, 09:07
may i also add that even though you've not paid in full yet you are still fully covered by ADAC.

snowbirds
23-10-2012, 09:22
Hi runnach,

I took out ADC Breakdown before travelling to Europe, not used cover yet but easy to get,I rang them and asked for English speaker, they took my number and rang back within the hour. Very helpful, payed by card and paper work came in a week at about 87 euros for membership plus, I also see they have a camping Discount card over here on campsites too but don't know if it's better than ACSI Camping Card.

Regards Snowbirds.

Advice please, on what companies are worthwhile looking at for yearly UK cover, with a view to expanding to euro cover next year???

Thanks..............

reberto
24-10-2012, 11:10
hi i have tried for two years to join adac in germany last year they cancelled me after 3 months becase they said i had not paid , so this year using the same membership number i have sent them my credit card details off via our fax machine. i have checked my monthly credit card statements but no payments have been taken.now i have another letter from adac stating i havent paid.so for those who are paying by fax please check your credit card statement to make sure you are covered.
thank reberto,

Kontiki
24-10-2012, 20:14
When I paid last year I got the mandate from them, printed it out & signd it then I photographed the credit card mandate & emailed it back to them, I got them to send me a confirmation email saying thy had received it.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS