PDA

View Full Version : should i or shouldnt i..??

daisymini
22-06-2012, 18:36
Im seriously thinking of letting my rented house go and invest in a secondhand motorhome big enough for me to live in for a year or two. I left my other half last year after 7yrs with nothing and have furnished said house with things from auction room on the cheap so i will not be losing anything of value. As i see it i could only gain bill wise. Those who have met me will know i have a couple of logistical issues when it comes to wilding or living in a motorhome full time but...I also feel its now or never for me personally to give it a go. I have family around the country that can put me up in times of difficulty and my mum that i could winter with if necessary. Its always been a dream of mine but im wondering if ive left it too late..??
Does anybody else have a disability but still wild camps irregardless..??
Or am I just mad for thinking I can do it..??

oldish hippy
22-06-2012, 18:44
the only problem i forsee is getting medical attention when you need it as your medical records are not with you heaven forbid something should this happen and then you need medical attention and the delay in getting hold of medical records and getting regular meds if you have to take them daily i felt likje that after splitting from my partener would love to leave all this behind but just cant at moment as medical need outwiegh me doing that

Rubbertramp
22-06-2012, 18:45
If it's always been your dream kid then you must go for it. Otherwise you will wonder "what if" for the rest of your life. You have a lot of work to do though, much more than the rest of us. I for one will be awestruck!:bow:

Funky Farmer
22-06-2012, 18:49
Why not let your house out on a six month, short term contract, for starters and see how things go? I wish you well whatever you decide

daisymini
22-06-2012, 18:54
I am lucky not to be on any meds its just a physical thing with me... and ive never let that stop me but i have to admit that now im older i think more before i do anything..lol
But now i dont have the constraints of bringing up a family, (thats been done with great success of that i am proud..!) I have spent so many years in the married, Jeremy kyle wilderness I need to get back to my devil care attitude and life is a gamble and one worth living.

daisymini
22-06-2012, 18:55
Actually Rubbertramp you kind of inspired me..??

donkey too
22-06-2012, 19:01
He inspires everyone. especialy if you'r paying for his beer. :lol-049::cheers::cheers:
I agree with him and a PM is on its way.

kenspain
22-06-2012, 19:04
You just never know whats round the corner it worked for me in the end but hard to start with but i just found that staying in the UK it would not work out so i came over here and not looked back. What ever you decide to do i wish you all the luck :wave:

daisymini
22-06-2012, 19:17
Im not brave enough to drive on the wrong side of the road on my own just yet..lol
But id be well up for a convoy that i could follow for my first time..!!

n brown
22-06-2012, 19:26
i'm afraid my answer to this sort of question is always the same,go for it.if its in your head like rt says it'll always nag at you.i never find living in a van that hard,just a different set of chores and problems that,as you do now in a house,you end up taking in your stride,quicker than you think ! but..the compensations are well worth it,the people you meet on the road are usually fired up about where they're going,where they've been or where they are,and the constant change of scenery and aspect is seriously rejuvenating,days seem to go on forever because theyre full of interest.of course some days are crap,but i like a bit of misery as it makes the good days sweeter.it's just so bloody INTERESTING!!

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 19:39
i would say the same just do what your minds telling you to do,if you dont then what if will come into play as said above,
you may find the comforting surrounds and changes weekly are better for your wellbeing.

daisymini
22-06-2012, 20:02
Well i think with all the input my mind is made up. A convo with bank manager is due monday, (natwest computer system sorted..?) im going to seriously look into it. All going well I hope to bump into some of you along the way...either in my little van for this summer or a bigger van that i can live in in the not too distant future!!

Bushtrekker
22-06-2012, 20:10
Having spent last weekend with you at the meet I can't think of anyone more likely to succeed, as you had a permanent smile on your face, even when Bailey towed you across the car park. Good luck x

daisymini
22-06-2012, 20:21
Thanks bushtrekker intend to use him as my sales pitch at the bank..He can be my breakdown recovery..!!..lol

lotty
22-06-2012, 20:21
as much as I love my van and getting out and about in her, I couldn't full time. I get claustrophobic after 2 weeks!:rolleyes2: A few things I can think of are van insurance, which i believe is higher if full timing? the extra fuel costs as it will be your only form of transport and with a bigger van, can you get it parked in all the places you go to, supermarket carparks etc? Lots of my local supermarkets have started putting height barriers in! Think about where will you park up, are you going to be in one area mostly or constantly on the move?
If it's something you have always wanted to do then go for it, like it's been said you don't want to end up regreting not giving it a try!

:goodluck::drive:

Firefox
22-06-2012, 20:41
Go for it Daisy. You are the kind of inspirational person that has overcome their disibilty to the point where it is hardly noiticable and I think you would rise to the challenges of living in a van in the same way. Needs vary but if you can manage to do it in a van 6m or less it will help a lot with parking and generally getting around. You can get some very spacious coachbuilts in 6m, maybe one with a fixed longitidinal bed (the so called French bed) Easy to get into and you don't have to worry lugging stuff around to make up the bed.

daisymini
22-06-2012, 20:41
Your absolutely right Lotte...my van is small and i can go where i want..and for the summer thats what i shall do, but, its also not big enough for my needs ie: wheelchair,scooter etc
Ive taken this into consideration, but i dont have the constraints of being young wage earning and all that comes with youth.
And I agree that there are so many things i probably will not have thought about, but, if i reasoned with myself and thought about it logically i guess i would never do it...
So, Im going to throw caution to the wind and let life take me for a change...

I can always rent again if all else fails..but at least i will have tried..:)

pink
22-06-2012, 20:45
daisymini..GO FOR IT!!!!!...as a homecarer i have met many people who have varying disabilities..and have come to realise that something only becomes disabling if its allowed it to be..if you can come up with ideas/ solutions to the practical issues you have concerns about then your dream is well on its way to becoming reality . You sound like you have very good friends/family, and with folk on WC too you have a wealth of support. I have made a similiar life choice to you so can empathise with part of the deciding process although i dont have to think about the issues that you do. I admire you..follow your dream, its never too late!!

daisymini
22-06-2012, 21:01
Hi Pink it was lovely to meet you although it was only brief.. and i know you have been considering doing the same thing, but for different reasons. Id like to think whatever our reasons they are the best for us at the time. And the more obstacles i have in my way the more im determined to overcome them.:dance:

vindiboy
22-06-2012, 21:08
As I read your post I believe you live in a rented house belonging to someone else , so if that is correct it will be no great loss if you move out,as there are lots of houses / flats for rent if you want to go back at some time. living full time in a Motorhome is not as easy as some dreamers think, and it is NOT as cheap an option as you may think, Winter in a van in England and you will need electricity, so that means a camping ground somewhere, budget at least 8 a night for that,if you can spend your Winters in Spain or Portugal for instance wilding all the time is a good option as the weather is generally better than England, think about things like laundry, mundane I know but it has to be done, you will need clothes for all Seasons so think about storage in whatever van you decide on, as someone else said think about Health cover and access to Doctors etc. be prepared for maintenance and breakdowns on the van , you will need finance to pay for repairs and hotel accommodation or B n B if the van needs to be in a garage for repairs etc.We don't full time but do spend long periods away in our van, we love it and did think about selling up and going proper full time, we didn't though and am glad we didn't as we have the best of both worlds we think, but if you feel it is right for you do it, there are lots of solo campers out there and some quite senior too.I am sure you will get a lot of guidance from those that do actually full time and can give you a proper perspective on Full timing.

n brown
22-06-2012, 21:33
quite an inspiring thread this innit.

daisymini
22-06-2012, 21:47
I didnt mean it to be...Guess was just thinking out loud and hoping for a kick up the proverbial a**e
but it has been most enlightening and productive for me on a personal level and appreciate every bodies input..xx

caspar
22-06-2012, 21:56
We were nearly forced into it during a torrid time a few years ago, but avoided it - enforced full timing is not the same as voluntary. We daren't be without something now, just in case and once the children are all through education, we may well consider it.

I live with two significant disabilities, and yet find few things prohibitive. There's much better advice on previous threads, but you have nothing to lose. You can always go back to a rented house within a week or two.

Good luck whatever you decide.

n brown
22-06-2012, 23:18
I didnt mean it to be...Guess was just thinking out loud and hoping for a kick up the proverbial a**e
but it has been most enlightening and productive for me on a personal level and appreciate every bodies input..xx

life is very short,get in there,and if it kills you,at least it's on your terms

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:30
for me ive always wanted a pet dog border terrier,but how i live now,
means it would be stuck at home all day or stuck at work in the back of a van,thats no life for a dog,or pet unless it was a wasp :idea:

your idea comes to me alot but with 25 yrs service in local authority im hoping to get redundance and sent packing,probably never happen.

so i have to make my own mind updo i or dont i just throw it in and go for it..money issues hold me back,
i think how will i pay for fuel and food, except shoot it, catch it, flaten it.

jobs im a plasterer to trade and a bma building management assistant.. postie.. MAIL ROOM person i.e i spend 9k a month on mail at my work using machines.

to just walk away is something ive thought about,my pension is safe as its locked when i leave council service.

just unsure.

ST

scampa
22-06-2012, 23:37
Only you can decide what to do in the end of course Daisymini, but I get the impression that you've already made your mind up and just need a final push! As has been said, if you go for it, then find after a while that it's not for you, what would you have lost that you couldn't go back to pretty easily?

You have an idea of what you're capable of, and what your limitations are, so as long as you feel you can do it, I too would say give it a try. You have family around the country to fall back on if need be, and plenty of friends on here who can offer advice and help when needed.

What would be useful would be for someone to write a "how to" guide to fulltiming, with advice, tips, problems and how to overcome them, and plenty of real-life examples and experiences to give someone like you an insight in what to expect. It could even be a group effort! Any volunteers?? :)

Bushtrekker
22-06-2012, 23:50
I'd love to do it, but my wife wouldn't go for it. All her friends are here and so is one of my daughters, with the other one making noises about coming home. You would really need something the size of Kimbowbills van at least, but probably not much bigger, as you wouldn't get around. Belong on the road permanently is good as a concept, but you have to be independent and dedicated, like Channa and Rubbertramp. I've enjoyed the time I've spent in the van this week, but am also enjoying having the house to myself this evening so I can crack on with plans without having to listen to someone else's choice of music or TV.

I also think weather plays a big part in making it work, as to me the attraction would be skipping the English winter, although this year it will probably be dry and sunny tomake up for the summer. Spending time in the van on my own this week has made me think about what I would want in the ideal vehicle, which wouldn't be cheap to buy or run, as I'm used to permanent four wheel drive and would also want to be able to get off grid as often as possible, which means being self sufficient in power and having enough water capacity, not to mention a big bog!!!

Anyway, I can dream of winning the lottery and getting what I want, as we all do, but would we do what we want if we won? Possibly not, because I would want to buy a house in Dorset to save time travelling down, although it does make as good base for fulltiming, as does Kent, because of the proximity of the ferry ports. Oh well, I can dream, but in the meantime I need to give serious thought to fitting a second leisure battery...

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:51
make ur own mind up dasiy

and think ahead if ur getting an income from rent fair doos.

i look at this and think hes a folk player and can afford the fuel bill for that truck

Northern Rail - Taylor Armerding - Music Video by Bill Lloyd - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzbzlGWh0II)

me i cant use combs :)

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:58
won 20k off the lottery once

april 2000 5 numbers and the bonus,11 members of a scooter club 20k each we got 20,389 each

but some members hadnt paid there fees for 2 months so they lost out,

but we took the 389 off each persons amount and handed it to the other member who hadent paid.

one guy had just come back from auzz and was skint to be handed 400 for sod all was his godsend.

one member went to a solicitor to get more he lost more nugget..

scenictraveller
22-06-2012, 23:59
oh i bought a rover 214 sei and 9 vespas and lambrettas and got a galera ace capri for free..:mad2:

Smaug
23-06-2012, 14:23
[Devil's advocate mode:]

The big negative for me & SWMBO would be loneliness. Whilst quite happy on our own a lot of the time it would eventually start to bite. You make lots of casual friends & can choose to visit friends & family, but they are not around all the time. That means that you will feel you are missing them when you want to chat something over or need a bit of cheering up.

I have mates when I'm at the boat cos I've been in the same mooring for a while, but with the MH we would be moving on all the time & hat can become unsettling & certainly makes friendships difficult to develop. [/Devil's advocate mode:]

If you can have a strategy for this or some way of dealing with it, or don't give a damn & have no friends anyway! Then great. You'll also need a strategy for mail, & keeping an eye on finances too. Stuff like car tax reminders, insurances, benefit changes, whatever.

whitevanwoman
23-06-2012, 14:54
Daisy, I am so pleased for you as you have got so much support here aswell as having a good network of family and friends, so that you know that if you ever found yourself stuck, there are many many folk who would be more than happy to help you out. That should give you huge peace of mind, even though I sense you are the kind of person who will only reluctantly ask for help, once you've had a damn good try at sorting yourself out but have had to grudgingly admit you need some help.

Go for it girl, you may never again get the opportunity. Getting my van 6 months ago has changed my life, I'd never considered living on the road, but it's something I now think about regularly and I am looking at my life and wondering what I can do to make long term changes which would put me in a position to be able to consider it as a viable option.

I have a hidden disability which doesn't affect me much physically other than chronic fatigue & migraines, which mean I need to get plenty of rest, and a dependence on meds and support, which I have to be organised about (ie making sure I order and pick up prescriptions regularly etc) and I am finding that I have a better daily routine in the van than I do at home, I eat better, I sleep well, I stress much less, and I spend more time just "being" and being mindful and enjoying life.

As the NHS's new computerised record systems become more integrated and reliable, you should find that any GP will be able to access your medical records etc online, and all GPs are supposed to treat visitors to the area, regardless of where they are registered.

Live the dream Daisy, follow the sun xx :goodluck:

edit : A disability support dog, trained to your specific needs, is worth thinking about. The companionship and security that a dog gives is something I wouldn't be without, and I don't think I'd wild without the dog.

lotusanne
23-06-2012, 16:08
Whether you do it or not I admire you so much for even thinking about it!!I knew when we met at the women's meet and you mentioned that you also got extra wine supplies in the van just in case that you were a kindred spirit!!Its exactly what i plan to do when i retire which is still 9 years away but not so far that i cant start thinking about it (already looking at "ideal" vans on ebay!) so some of the replies on here are really intersting for me too. As a few people have said i am sure you would get support on here... you would be welcome to park up outside mine any time and have a bit of house time. I dont know how hard the practical difficulties would be, but you can judge that better than anyone, and i also dont know if things would get harder in the future, but if that is the case all the more reason for giing it a go now. Never say never... and never say forever. You can always change your mind if you dont find it suits you. I am excited for you... and if nothng else whats more fun than dreaming... especially if that involves looking at loads of potential vans!!! xx

Bushtrekker
23-06-2012, 16:24
I don't, mainly because I don't have friends that I see on a regular basis, unlike my wife, who has a series of friends from previous jobs that she goes out with regularly. As any of the people I met last week will know, I get on with and find something in common with most people, as long as they don't talk about football! Most of my closest friends, on here and in real life, tend to be women, mainly because my eyes glaze over if people talk football and I know I'm not the only man who feels that. If I was on my own I'd be off tomorrow, but like most people I have ties and the next month is going to be a bit of a trial, as my wife doesn't speak any French, so my schoolboy French has to get us by. This means that more than ever we will be together 24/7 and her Retinitis Pigmentosa will be more of a problem there than here, so I'll be ready to escape to my friends from here in August.:D

kimbowbill
24-06-2012, 11:31
Hi sue

have a look on this thread, you might find some useful info, if its in your heart to do it, do it, knowing you the short time i have and how you just get on with life regardless of your disability, you are an amazing lass and my doors are always open for you and Bailey lol xx

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-website-links/11648-new-fulltiming-forum.html?highlight=fulltiming

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/12539-full-timing-what-pros-cons.html?highlight=fulltiming

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/5746-unexpected-downside-full-timing.html?highlight=fulltiming

you may have read them, there's plenty more info out there

keep us posted what ever you decide

Jen xxxx

scampa
24-06-2012, 13:14
And remember that Fulltiming doesn't have to mean forever, so the thought of trying it doesn't have to feel so daunting!

(BTW I've never tried it myself. I love touring, exploring and wilding, but I also like having my home base to come back to). :)

n brown
24-06-2012, 14:10
i found that you don't move on every day, course not .sometimes you find a congenial park up with maybe a bit of work and might stay there for a few weeks or so,then this sort of becomes part of your rounds,apple picking or packing in east anglia,bulb factory in holland for a couple months.seasonal work when you can,and rent a house or house sit in portugal,looking after houses by just being in them,for a roof and a bit of dosh.sit in the house and make things to sell on the french markets or english boot fairs etc. trouble is its only when you're doing it that you get to learn how to do it but people pass on tips all the time.

carol
27-06-2012, 11:41
Hi Sue been following this thread. Most I spent in my little van was 6 weeks, but was with a partner and a house and job to go back to, which made the experience different I suppose. BUT if it's what you really want to do, go for it! If it doesn't work out move on to plan B or C or whatever. If ever you're over Bradford way there's a spare bed here! Hope we get to meet up again soon - think there's a women's meet in September? Am having hip done in a month's time so will be out of action for a while. Enjoy the search for your perfect van - I spend far too much time on the internet, looking, looking and more looking! xx

kenspain
27-06-2012, 11:55
Well I for one Daisy are not happy with you I thought you would be down this way by no in the sun sitting at a beach bar having coffee get a move on girl :wave::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

Tbear
27-06-2012, 12:24
Hi Daisymini,

I have never spent more than 3 weeks in my van in one go so I am not qualified to tell you to go for it but reading this thread. You have a family support network and the girls on here seem to be behind you. Please have a good plan for the winter. Long cold nights can be a bit lonely but you do seem to have the strength of character to pull it off. If it all goes wrong you get to spend more time with your mum but I am guessing if the numbers add up for you, then you have made your mind up.

The very best of luck with your new adventure.

Richard

kimbowbill
27-06-2012, 16:35
Hi Sue been following this thread. Most I spent in my little van was 6 weeks, but was with a partner and a house and job to go back to, which made the experience different I suppose. BUT if it's what you really want to do, go for it! If it doesn't work out move on to plan B or C or whatever. If ever you're over Bradford way there's a spare bed here! Hope we get to meet up again soon - think there's a women's meet in September? Am having hip done in a month's time so will be out of action for a while. Enjoy the search for your perfect van - I spend far too much time on the internet, looking, looking and more looking! xx

yes, there will be a ladies meet at the beginning of sept, will start a new thread in August time

REC
06-07-2012, 22:16
Hi Sue
Dont know you but have enjoyed reading this thread and wish you everything you hope for. We took the decision to "step out of the norm" for a while...bought an ruin of a barn in portugal and towed a caravan out there to live in while we worked on it. Took a year off work unpaid, cashed in everything and let the house out. Never regretted it, even though things were very hard for OH with medical problems during that year. You never know what's round the corner in life and we go by the philosophy of no "what ifs". We now have a very comfortable (basic) place to go to where we can completely relax off grid. Met some great people out there. Why not set yourself a time limit, say a year, and go for it. What is the worst that can happen? Sounds like your family are supportive and you have people around who would help if it did not work out all the time, but my guess is that you will make it happen if you want to. Keep us posted about what you have decided. :wave:

BTW there are lots of people in Portugal who look for house sitters who would prob be happy to let you park at their place in return for keeping an eye while they are away (usually back in UK!) Sure this is the same in and countries and Uk too!

MORGANTHEMOON
06-07-2012, 22:47
Your absolutely right Lotte...my van is small and i can go where i want..and for the summer thats what i shall do, but, its also not big enough for my needs ie: wheelchair,scooter etc
Ive taken this into consideration, but i dont have the constraints of being young wage earning and all that comes with youth.
And I agree that there are so many things i probably will not have thought about, but, if i reasoned with myself and thought about it logically i guess i would never do it...
So, Im going to throw caution to the wind and let life take me for a change...

I can always rent again if all else fails..but at least i will have tried..:)

You are one brave lady, I hope we meet up sometime.

krizteen
06-07-2012, 22:50
As a teenager I wanted to buy a van and go travelling around the world. I'm in my late 40's now and I've been thinking of full timing for a few years. I've brought a van that I'm currently converting, which is taking me longer than what I thought it would. Mainly because I can't get the plan for the bed right, but I think I've finely cracked it.
I'm working and own my home, (with mortgage). I have a disability, (MS), I have to have an injection every month and other drugs on prescription. My thought are if I don't do it soon I might not be able to do it, then I will spend the rest of my life thinking, I could have done this, if only, etc, etc. My MS is under control but I don't know how I will be in a few months, years or what ever. But I do know I will get to see some of the places I want to see and meet up with some old friends and possibly make some new ones.

MORGANTHEMOON
06-07-2012, 22:55
As a teenager I wanted to buy a van and go travelling around the world. I'm in my late 40's now and I've been thinking of full timing for a few years. I've brought a van that I'm currently converting, which is taking me longer than what I thought it would. Mainly because I can't get the plan for the bed right, but I think I've finely cracked it.
I'm working and own my home, (with mortgage). I have a disability, (MS), I have to have an injection every month and other drugs on prescription. My thought are if I don't do it soon I might not be able to do it, then I will spend the rest of my life thinking, I could have done this, if only, etc, etc. My MS is under control but I don't know how I will be in a few months, years or what ever. But I do know I will get to see some of the places I want to see and meet up with some old friends and possibly make some new ones.

I admire your determination.

n brown
06-07-2012, 23:02
thats exactly it ! the point . do it. because one day you won't be able to.illness or old age or prison or having to marry prince harry will screw your plans and you'll end up wishing you had. fair play to you k

ivecotrucker
07-07-2012, 00:15
Hello Sue/Daisymini,
We were parked alongside you at the Navi, Overseal. Pity we did'nt talk about this that weekend. May I suggest that you carefully consider the replies of 'Smaug' & 'WVW' of 23-6-12 & the web sites in Jen's reply of 24-6-12; all the arguments for & against are summed up perfectly there. Once you sell an investment in property you'll never be as well off again but that must be your personal choice & no-one can advise you on the best course because it is YOUR life & only you know what is best for you. What suits you might be quite different to what suits others.

krizteen
07-07-2012, 09:56
thats exactly it ! the point . do it. because one day you won't be able to.illness or old age or prison or having to marry prince harry will screw your plans and you'll end up wishing you had. fair play to you k

Marry Prince Harry, now there's a toyboy I wouldn't say no too..!!!
But there's nothing worse then looking back and thinking if only. I might and most probably will end up with no money living in a broken down van. But what will be, will be.. something will happen.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS