PDA

View Full Version : Any festival goers out there?

mandymops
23-06-2012, 17:30
As the proud owner of my first little van,what I am wondering is this:-
When you attend festivals with a tent, all food and drink is disallowed so that you are compelled to by food and drink onsite at wildly inflated prices. Does the same rule apply with vans? Would security actually want to search the van as they do bags? I can't imagine they would have the authority to do that but I suppose they could not let you in if you refused. Does anyone have any experience of this?

vindiboy
23-06-2012, 17:49
I did not know that, but I would assume that the Camping Area would be separate to the actual performance area and that I guess is where the food outlets would be , I have never been to a music festival and have no desire to go , I am an avid couch potato when it comes to these things,I have been to Disney Paris with my Grandchildren in my van and security there were keen to stop people taking food etc. into there.

donkey too
23-06-2012, 17:51
Sorry Mandy. I only got to Beer festivals.:cheers::cheers:

whitevanwoman
23-06-2012, 17:54
As the proud owner of my first little van,what I am wondering is this:-
When you attend festivals with a tent, all food and drink is disallowed so that you are compelled to by food and drink onsite at wildly inflated prices. Does the same rule apply with vans? Would security actually want to search the van as they do bags? I can't imagine they would have the authority to do that but I suppose they could not let you in if you refused. Does anyone have any experience of this?

:wave:

Usually the no food and drink rule doesn't apply to campers on the camping field, only inside the main festival arena. I've never had any probs taking my own food and cooking in a tent at a festival but often nowadays, bbqs and open fires and sometimes even gas stoves aren't allowed, and I think they may be cracking down due to fire risk.

But in answer to your question, no, I've never had any problems in the van, never been asked or checked on entry. But I've never had my bag searched on entry on foot either. Luckily ;)

I think if this were the case it would put alot of people off, especially families with kids. So it wouldn't be in their financial interests seeing as how they get good income from allowing a lot of vans in a field and only having to provide cold water. Easy money.

That said, I only tend to go to smaller folk festivals so I wouldn't know about Glastonbury and the other big festivals. But in my opinion, the smaller ones are by far the better ones; more room, cheaper, often able to park pretty close to main area, some great music without the hordes, and cheaper beers.

And to be honest, although I often take enough food and drink to last a fortnight because I'm pretty poor, I do usually at some point over the course of the festival pay for at least one meal and several drinks as it's simply too much effort to cook in the van or to keep popping back to the van for swigs of illicit Aldi cider.

John H
23-06-2012, 17:55
At all the festivals we have been to over the years the camping area is treated as separate from the performing area and we always take copious supplies of food and booze to consume in and around our motorhome (even managed a barbecue at one of the two festivals so far this year inbetween the storms!). We also buy the occasional meal on site and use the bar when at a concert or performance (food prices do, as you say, tend to be high but the bar prices are usually not unreasonable).

groyne
23-06-2012, 18:04
My kids used to take food to the Leeds\Reading festivals (youngest just lived on tins of cold ravioli for the weekend). As WVW says they've banned BBQs and gas stoves for safety reasons, so you should be OK if you've fitted cooking utilities in the van.

rab13
23-06-2012, 18:27
food and drink is not a problem in your camper at festivals,the problem is they no you will have food and drink so they charge you about £30 on top of your ticket price just to get the camper in,or £80 with hook up :scared: thats the prices at the wickerman festival and they are more or less all the same,festivals in a camper are not cheap ;)

John H
23-06-2012, 18:31
food and drink is not a problem in your camper at festivals,the problem is they no you will have food and drink so they charge you about £30 on top of your ticket price just to get the camper in,or £80 with hook up :scared: thats the prices at the wickerman festival and they are more or less all the same,festivals in a camper are not cheap ;)

Hook up?????? What kind of luxurious festival do you go to? I bet you go on tented safari trips and claim you are camping too! :lol-053::rolleyes2::lol-049:

whitevanwoman
23-06-2012, 18:36

Yep, £30 per camper van seems to be the norm, on top of ticket price :mad2:

But having just been to a very muddy festival in the van, I am prepared to pay the price, as it's just soooooooo much easier in a van than a tent in bad weather. That said, because I'm a stealth camper (a plain white transit van with no windows), it has occured to me that I could probably get away with not paying for a campervan ticket, just a normal camping ticket and just sticking up a little pop up tent if needs be, but not actually using the tent, just staying in the van. You need to check the details for each festival though as some festivals don't allow parking next to the tent and the car park is quite a way away, and also there's no guarantees of flat ground, which you usually get with a campervan ticket.

John H
23-06-2012, 18:39
.....flat ground, which you usually get with a campervan ticket.

Not if you go to Bearded Theory! :wave:

whitevanwoman
23-06-2012, 18:54
Not if you go to Bearded Theory! :wave:

:sad: shame. Hope it was good otherwise. Did you enjoy 3 Daft Monkeys?

I thought about going but no dogs allowed so went to LakeFest which allowed dogs instead same weekend. Reasonable ticket price but £30 campervan ticket. But we were in same field as tents, luckily flat. Some tents were bigger than my van and certainly if you include guy rope space, my van probably takes up the same space as an average tent. So absolutely no benefit from paying for a campervan ticket. But sometimes you need to check the festivals out playing by the rules the first time to be able to suss out what you can get away with next time.

John H
23-06-2012, 19:53
:sad: shame. Hope it was good otherwise. Did you enjoy 3 Daft Monkeys?

I thought about going but no dogs allowed so went to LakeFest which allowed dogs instead same weekend. Reasonable ticket price but £30 campervan ticket. But we were in same field as tents, luckily flat. Some tents were bigger than my van and certainly if you include guy rope space, my van probably takes up the same space as an average tent. So absolutely no benefit from paying for a campervan ticket. But sometimes you need to check the festivals out playing by the rules the first time to be able to suss out what you can get away with next time.

Oh yes - superb time (although we didn't see 3DM this time - seen and enjoyed them before). So much great music that we couldn't see everything - Show of Hands and Dr Feelgood were my particular highlights. And the uneven and very spongy ground wasn't too much of a problem because we were too tired to worry about the slope when we eventually went to bed and the organisers were very efficient about towing everybody out of the mud.

Funky Farmer
23-06-2012, 20:20
I went to a harvest festival once Took a tin of peas

just jane
24-06-2012, 06:56
I have never been to a festival which doesnt allow you to take your own food and drink anywhere onsite, I know there are some that dont allow you to bring your own alcohol into arenas and suchlike but Ive never heard of one that doent allow food in the campsite.

rab13
24-06-2012, 09:15
their is a wee folk festival in a couple of weeks here Stonehaven Folk Festival - 2012 - Stonehaven Folk Festival (http://www.stonehavenfolkfestival.co.uk/) looks good :D

lotusanne
24-06-2012, 10:17
Does anyone know any smallish festivals in the North in July or August? Not dance / rave /electro, more like a little hippy thing!

just jane
24-06-2012, 10:32
Solfest Music Festival 2012 UK | Summer Music Festivals in England (http://www.solfest.org.uk/)

Last time I went Solfest was definitely a hippy festival, camping next to cars, your own food and drink allowed in the arena, beautiful views across the Solway Firth but very windy.

John H
24-06-2012, 10:50
Does anyone know any smallish festivals in the North in July or August? Not dance / rave /electro, more like a little hippy thing!

Try this website - eFestivals.co.uk - festivals news, info, tickets, reviews and photos (http://www.efestivals.co.uk) . It can't, however, guarantee the weather! :wave:

Also, this one is small, hippyish and on next weekend - www.belpermusicfestival.org.uk . I'll be there helping to run the Oxfam stall.

sasquatch
24-06-2012, 11:06
Try ours Wirral Festival of Firsts | Welcome! (http://www.festivaloffirsts.co.uk) Art,music, drama, fringe events. free music prom(all kinds),John Hegley,world premiere of a play based on OMDs Enola Gay and loads more. Camp were you can on the promenade or nearby CLs such as Arrowebrook Farm.

Elfit
24-06-2012, 16:24

I'm a regular festival goer "up North" and am a veteran of the hippy festivals in the 80s ~ Stonehenge etc
I reckon the best for what you are looking for is Eden which is near Moffat. However, you've missed it for this year as it was last weekend.
Other belters are Knockengorroch and Solfest.

I went to Beatherder last year in glorious sunshine. It's near Gisburn in Lancashire. It was good fun ( the weather helped !) and will be on next weekend I believe.

I've been to Solfest 8 times now ( I just missed the first one) Although it does have a dance tent there are two other big stages providing a variety of music as well as a number of smaller venues. It's very family friendly without feeling you are in a kindergarten!
It has a great feeling and most folk are very friendly. It is a true festival, not just a large outside music event which many of the so called festivals have become.

Yes, of course you can take your own food and drink. You can camp next to your car/van if you wish and you can even have camp fires.

Watch out for a fabulous band called ***** Beatz . They have really the festival their own and through it have made links with the 3 Daft Monkeys whom they supported at Newcastle at Easter. Not that I'm biased but 2 of my kids play in the band!

Hope to see you there!

Tim

Millie
24-06-2012, 19:14
We've never been stopped from taking food or non alcoholic drink into any of the festivals we've attended - and there's been a few over the years.

The only time the inside of our van was searched was at Glastonbury where they look for alcohol in glass bottles, drugs and firearms. They also check that the van is fit for habitation and doesn't just have a mattress thrown in the back.

Give a small festival a go to see if you like it - bet you will get hooked :rockroll:

lotusanne
24-06-2012, 21:57
Thanks all for festival suggestions, much appreciated. Timings are just not working out though, cant do next weekend and probably cant do solfest either as daughter is expecting second baby end of August and will be on call for minding first baby. Considered taking her but shes only 14 months and not sure about it, love her to bits but think it might be too much hard work! Might check out Wirral though as its not too far, thanks for that. if anyone thinks of anything else do let me know. thanks again

sasquatch
24-06-2012, 23:24
Thanks all for festival suggestions, much appreciated. Timings are just not working out though, cant do next weekend and probably cant do solfest either as daughter is expecting second baby end of August and will be on call for minding first baby. Considered taking her but shes only 14 months and not sure about it, love her to bits but think it might be too much hard work! Might check out Wirral though as its not too far, thanks for that. if anyone thinks of anything else do let me know. thanks again
The website is the best place for info on the performances,the full programme guide is £2,available from venues in the area.Unlike the IOW the majority of events are under cover pubs,bars,cafe and church halls.Follow thw AA signs
Hope to see you there.

MATS
02-07-2012, 13:58
Cropredy is relaxed. You can take anything in - food, drink whatever even to the main arena area - mind you I do buy the Wadworths 6X beer there - it is superb. UB40 last year was brilliant. Recommend this festival as it has a good mixture of pop and folk. They have a website - tickets still available I think. Camping is a mixture of tents, caravans, vans all mixed together - they just fill up the fields in order. Good crowd mainly 30-70 age range and it finishes midnight each night so you can get some decent kip. And icing on the cake is that you can even take your dogs in to the arena as long as they wear a neckerchief.

MORGANTHEMOON
02-07-2012, 14:03
Sorry Mandy. I only got to Beer festivals.:cheers::cheers:

There's more to life than drinking Donkey.

Ummm there's and there's ummmmmmmm sport on tv.

COGGGO
02-07-2012, 15:09
depends what festival it is.
the smaller ones will have the 'no food' etc in their terms & conditions
I have just been to one in my van - no checks
used all my own food etc for the weekend

outtolunch
30-12-2012, 12:26

Galtres August bank holiday, you can pull pints for beer vouchers clashes with Solfest but it doesn't run out of real ale and its the right side of the Pennines ;)

Forest of Galtres Festival 2013 (http://www.galtresfestival.org.uk/)

Willowman Thirsk Yorkshire ( not to be confused with Wickerman which is now too commercial and in Scotland )

Willowman Festival 20-23 June 2013 (http://www.willowmanfestival.co.uk/index.html)

Alchemy is old school hippy with dance ( a lot of which is played by real live bands and even I like some of them ) level parking but what else would you get in Lincolnshire

Home (http://www.alchemyfestival.co.uk/)

Bearded Theory another one not really north but not south either, to get the best camper parking you have to work there

BeardedTheory.co.uk (http://www.beardedtheory.co.uk/)

Harefest for an early start to the season at Easter weekend

Hare Fest | Harefield Hall (http://harefieldhall.com/hare-fest/)

no Nuts in May in 2013 hopefully come back as the first and only one was good

there are others but have not been to them as either too dancey or line up does not appeal, there are also music weekends at Tan Hill that's real wild camping country

Live Music Events, Gigs, Concerts and Festivals at Tan Hill Inn - Tom Hingley, John Hunt Trio, Monkey Wrenchers, Chris Myers, Steady Boys, Hakuna Matata (http://www.livemusicattanhill.co.uk/gigs/live-music/music/concerts/venues/events/bands/teesdale/swaledale/north-yorkshire/dales/tom-hingley/john-hunt-trio/vicky-wadworth/monkey-wrenchers/chris-myers/andrew-yeadon-band/steady-boys/hakuna-matata/voodoos/63/)

just jane
30-12-2012, 12:49
Bearded Theory another one not really north but not south either, to get the best camper parking you have to work there

Your not kidding, needed a ski lift in disabled camping last year, but at least Rich has promised us the flatter bit this year :dance:

Harefest for an early start to the season at Easter weekend

Hare Fest | Harefield Hall (http://harefieldhall.com/hare-fest/)

Im hoping to do Harefest this year

Celso
06-03-2013, 16:49
Hello,
we think about going to the Cornbury Festival 2013.
Anyone has been there? Is it nice? How many people will be there?

Celso
fom Germany

whitevanwoman
06-03-2013, 17:38
Your not kidding, needed a ski lift in disabled camping last year, but at least Rich has promised us the flatter bit this year :dance:

Im hoping to do Harefest this year

Hooray! :banana:

There's a few of us going from the forum - Firefox and Lotusanne, Outtolunch, and probably others. We're hoping that if we ask very nicely, they will allow us to have a camp fire in the bottom field near the river, and we can park our vans around it cowboy style :cheers:

All welcome to join us.

outtolunch
06-03-2013, 18:42
Hello,
we think about going to the Cornbury Festival 2013.
Anyone has been there? Is it nice? How many people will be there?

Celso
fom Germany

Its expensive especially when you take in the extra they rip you off for a camper. I went a couple of times in the early days but it was a reasonable price then, it was nice and not overcrowded but even then it was trying to go upmarket with its VIP areas in which you would get the chance to hobnob with the likes of Jezza Clarkson :scared: not one for the great unwashed old hippy.
Depends when you are available and who you want to see this is the best place to get information
eFestivals.co.uk - festivals news, info, tickets, reviews and photos (http://www.efestivals.co.uk/)

scyther
06-03-2013, 18:42
Sigur Ros at Jodrell Bank should be an amazing gig SIGUR RÓS Announced | Jodrell Bank Live (http://www.livefromjodrellbank.com/news/sigur-ros-friday-30th-august/)
Saw them at the Manchester Apollo on Monday - stunning.

outtolunch
06-03-2013, 18:51
Hooray! :banana:

There's a few of us going from the forum - Firefox and Lotusanne, Outtolunch, and probably others. We're hoping that if we ask very nicely, they will allow us to have a camp fire in the bottom field near the river, and we can park our vans around it cowboy style :cheers:

All welcome to join us.

I'm not going down to that bottom field I'll never get out again unless they have put a proper road down to it. :eek:

if they won't let you have a camp fire how about a BBQ I can bring one like this 11996

MATS
06-03-2013, 19:04
Good festival - you can take anthing in with you no checks and good music

sasquatch
06-03-2013, 21:44
Come to the Wirral Folk on the Coast Festival w/e tickets £70 Camping £10 perperson Camping field opens Thursday 6th June at 4p.m. further details http://www.wirralfolkonthecoast.com/

whitevanwoman
07-03-2013, 00:51
I'm not going down to that bottom field I'll never get out again unless they have put a proper road down to it. :eek:

if they won't let you have a camp fire how about a BBQ I can bring one like this 11996

Ha ha, I very nearly didn't get back up that hill again last year, had to leave the van stranded half way up for a few hours till help arrived. We'd stayed on an extra night and it had rained so it was a muddy nightmare plus the gradient plus the bends. I hadn't had the van that long and didn't have the bottle to simply floor it which is what one of the lads who works there did and got it up in one go, although it did lurch alarmingly and I'd wished I hadn't left the dog inside :scared:

But they assured me that they were going to get another track cleared for this year which would still be steep but not as steep and it would be straight up, so should be easier. They said they wouldn't be able to get it tarmac'd but that they would have a towtruck on standby. I may get in touch with them next week and repeat my offer of going over a few days early to help with the track (my cunning plan to get first choice of location).

I think Firefox has got a fire pit but keep yours on standby just in case it's needed. I reckon they might allow one big proper campfire so long as we turf it back first and edge with stones and then replace turf - not sure who's going to ask though, it needs to be someone with good diplomatic negotiation skills so maybe it's best it's not me. But it might be worth bringing a spade.

whitevanwoman
07-03-2013, 00:54
Come to the Wirral Folk on the Coast Festival w/e tickets £70 Camping £10 perperson Camping field opens Thursday 6th June at 4p.m. further details http://www.wirralfolkonthecoast.com/

:wave: I think I'll be coming to this

just jane
07-03-2013, 06:01
Ha ha, I very nearly didn't get back up that hill again last year, had to leave the van stranded half way up for a few hours till help arrived. We'd stayed on an extra night and it had rained so it was a muddy nightmare plus the gradient plus the bends. I hadn't had the van that long and didn't have the bottle to simply floor it which is what one of the lads who works there did and got it up in one go, although it did lurch alarmingly and I'd wished I hadn't left the dog inside :scared:

But they assured me that they were going to get another track cleared for this year which would still be steep but not as steep and it would be straight up, so should be easier. They said they wouldn't be able to get it tarmac'd but that they would have a towtruck on standby. I may get in touch with them next week and repeat my offer of going over a few days early to help with the track (my cunning plan to get first choice of location).

I think Firefox has got a fire pit but keep yours on standby just in case it's needed. I reckon they might allow one big proper campfire so long as we turf it back first and edge with stones and then replace turf - not sure who's going to ask though, it needs to be someone with good diplomatic negotiation skills so maybe it's best it's not me. But it might be worth bringing a spade.

Tickets have been bought but not delivered yet should i be worried? But like outtolunch I'm not going to the bottom of any hill. My old transit was great and it never got bogged down(even BDs 07and 08 Outtolunch will understand that) but the ducato being front-wheel drive is crap Ive needed a push a few times and a tow twice now, so unless they have a nice big tractor on standby Im staying on tarmac.

just jane
07-03-2013, 06:05
:wave: I think I'll be coming to this

Im not doing the whole weekend but its very near to me so I am thinking if nothing else gets booked I might nip over for show of hands.

Psyfried
07-03-2013, 07:11

a couple of good old hippy type fests are sonic rock solstice at builth wells free camping and free showers

another one is kosfest at uffclume near taunton also free camping

Mad Manx
07-03-2013, 09:25
Go go to the Cambridge folk festival every year July 25 26 27 28 Cambridge Folk Festival – Artists (http://www.cambridgefolkfestival.co.uk/artists)
I then move to my favorite pub with private camping invitation only :wave:
Then the following weekend we go to the excellent Wickham festival its small friendly very well run and cheap with good food and 20 + real ales and 4real Ciders.
Wickham Festival » Who’s on when (http://www.wickhamfestival.co.uk/whos-on-when)

And again efestivals is an excellent resource especially their festival finder

Festivals (http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/)

if anyone sees the Manx Embassy Truck pop in for a brew :cheers::cheers: or two:welcome:

slippers
07-03-2013, 19:21
Festivals are great although the camping facilities are haphazard.

We've stewarded for Oxfam on the festival circuit and can strongly recommend it. Most say they'd never go back to being a paying punter once they've been involved with Oxfam.

Separate camping, usually with more space, separate loos and showers, social tent, bar, free tea and coffee, with a meal voucher for each shift. Deposit is the price of a Glastonbury ticket which is refunded if you complete your three allocated shifts. Could be boring duties on a car park or backstage on the pyramid stage. Big and small festivals to choose from.

It's a great big friendly oxfamily, old and young. Made so much easier in a van :)

No festivals for us this year as we'll be abroad for six months but we'll be back next year.

If you fancy a gander the sign ups are next week and go very quickly. It's just great to be involved.

Oxfam GB :: leading UK charity fighting global poverty (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/Stewarding)

Millie
07-03-2013, 21:49
I steward for Oxfam too and can highly recommend it.

outtolunch
21-03-2013, 19:43
Tickets have been bought but not delivered yet should i be worried? But like outtolunch I'm not going to the bottom of any hill. My old transit was great and it never got bogged down(even BDs 07and 08 Outtolunch will understand that) but the ducato being front-wheel drive is crap Ive needed a push a few times and a tow twice now, so unless they have a nice big tractor on standby Im staying on tarmac.

finally arrived 3 month 5 days after ordering, I think they must have been sending them out alphabetically by surname

Mad Manx
21-03-2013, 21:00
finally arrived 3 month 5 days after ordering, I think they must have been sending them out alphabetically by surname

Come to Wickham festival they have 4 big tractors 12322

one pulling my Tonka toy

gaz2676
21-03-2013, 21:02
i like the mean an nasty.... m.a.n ...

outtolunch
22-03-2013, 05:09
Come to Wickham festival they have 4 big tractors 12322

one pulling my Tonka toy

can't do it this year I'm out of holiday now having just booked for a trip to the west country to do Chagstock and Kozfest with a bit of wild camping in the week between them

just jane
22-03-2013, 05:22

Mine arrived yesterday too, but my surname is a B, so dont think its alphabetical.

I also sorted myself a place on the car park.

herbenny
22-03-2013, 06:12
Was looking on line for festivals for 2013 ....preferbly in th south to save travel costs ...I couldnt believe how expensive weekend tickets are for some of these festivals:scared: ...........OUCH !!!!.

outtolunch
22-03-2013, 06:49
Was looking on line for festivals for 2013 ....preferbly in th south to save travel costs ...I couldnt believe how expensive weekend tickets are for some of these festivals:scared: ...........OUCH !!!!.

I know had an email about Latitude this morning £250 for 1 man in a van ( 5 to 7 mt rate ) !!!!

All of the festivals I'm going to this year are under £100

Mad Manx
22-03-2013, 09:33
Wickham is £120 until the end of the month then its £135 Camping £25

Wickham Festival » Tickets (http://www.wickhamfestival.co.uk/tickets)

Mad Manx
22-03-2013, 09:38
i like the mean an nasty.... m.a.n ...

The Wee M.A.N is not mean and nasty its big and cuddly :dance: and the BBQ is always hot with cold ones in the fridge :cheers:

gaz2676
22-03-2013, 10:06
soz didnt mean to offend the m.a.n.... im an ex trucker it was the nick name mans got ......they used to pull real good and theyre eaton splitter boxes made max use of the engine very nice to drive.....could out pull other units with very similiar bhp engines. well jel

Mad Manx
22-03-2013, 12:24
soz didnt mean to offend the m.a.n.... im an ex trucker it was the nick name mans got ......they used to pull real good and theyre eaton splitter boxes made max use of the engine very nice to drive.....could out pull other units with very similiar bhp engines. well jel

It pulls well cruises at 70 no problem on the motorway with spare if needed for overtaking and such a smooth ride and clean gear changes only fluffed one in the first 1500 miles i did the week I bought it !
It just needs a bit of work to improve accommodation and Gas, Electric and Water for longer trips than to the 2 day race meeting .
I would have preferred bigger wheels and tyres like my old Coach on a Bedford TK chasie

gaz2676
22-03-2013, 14:24
It pulls well cruises at 70 no problem on the motorway with spare if needed for overtaking and such a smooth ride and clean gear changes only fluffed one in the first 1500 miles i did the week I bought it !
It just needs a bit of work to improve accommodation and Gas, Electric and Water for longer trips than to the 2 day race meeting .
I would have preferred bigger wheels and tyres like my old Coach on a Bedford TK chasie

would that not increase you height overall might find it hard to get in to places hes a big lad to start with i take it youve got some form of garage at the back for spares and machine and live frther forward?????

Mad Manx
22-03-2013, 15:00
It was a horse box back put on to a MAN Chasie with tail lift used as a Go-kart race track, there is a partition between garage workshop and living area.
As soon as i get it through Manx test Partition is coming out which will give me 8' 9" of load space for a Smart Car or if It won't fit a PGO Quadzilla instead with second bunk space above it .

As soon as the weather improves ill take some better pictures and post them on here.

linlanc
22-03-2013, 15:01
Twinwood Festival is The No. 1 Vintage Music & Dance Festival! (http://www.twinwoodevents.com/)

great value ....if you like that kinda music!

Millie
22-03-2013, 16:37

Some are really expensive, that's why we have to work them stewarding for Oxfam otherwise we would never be able to afford to go. :dance::dance::dance:

Steward some of the UK's top festivals | Oxfam GB (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/Stewarding)

I still think most festivals are good value for money though when you consider the price of concert tickets to see one artist.

herbenny
22-03-2013, 17:06
I am looking into this twinny ....I hope to try and register on the 27th :wave:

runnach
22-03-2013, 19:28
Anyone going? Mull calendar for April 2013 (http://www.holidaycottagemull.co.uk/index.php?pageid=52) I'm going to go, if I can find someone to cover my Friday classes, drive up to Lochaline, then first ferry crossing on the Friday........I hope???

Millie
22-03-2013, 19:38
I am looking into this twinny ....I hope to try and register on the 27th :wave:

:rockroll::banana::raofl::wacko: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy :rockroll::banana::raofl::wacko::juggle:

That's fantastic twinny - just to let you know the application date has been brought forward a day to Tuesday 26th. We're doing Glastonbury and Boomtown Fair but I can highly recommend Beautiful Days, Camp Bestival and Shambala too.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get-involved/festivals/festivals-blog/2013/03/applications-launch-date-change?utm_source=oxf.am&utm_medium=3tT&utm_content=redirect

herbenny
23-03-2013, 14:51
:rockroll::banana::raofl::wacko: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy :rockroll::banana::raofl::wacko::juggle:

That's fantastic twinny - just to let you know the application date has been brought forward a day to Tuesday 26th. We're doing Glastonbury and Boomtown Fair but I can highly recommend Beautiful Days, Camp Bestival and Shambala too.

Oxfam GB :: leading UK charity fighting global poverty (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get-involved/festivals/festivals-blog/2013/03/applications-launch-date-change?utm_source=oxf.am&utm_medium=3tT&utm_content=redirect)

It would be great if we could meet you at some of these festivals :rabbit: I have loads of questions on this that I cant seem to find answers to though for instance is the deposit per person or per couple ??? Is it on a first come first served basis ?? I am looking on the website and signed up for the forum so just scanning through it before I amke a commitment and submit and application next week...
Oh wow lucky you Glanstonbury :banana: I really liked the look of Boomtown fair...it would be sooooo great if we could get on least one of these but I suppose they will be all steward out by now

Millie
23-03-2013, 15:46
It would be great if we could meet you at some of these festivals :rabbit: I have loads of questions on this that I cant seem to find answers to though for instance is the deposit per person or per couple ??? Is it on a first come first served basis ?? I am looking on the website and signed up for the forum so just scanning through it before I amke a commitment and submit and application next week...
Oh wow lucky you Glanstonbury :banana: I really liked the look of Boomtown fair...it would be sooooo great if we could get on least one of these but I suppose they will be all steward out by now

Have a look here Jac to see how many spaces are left for each festival, there's still loads of places left for most of them including Glastonbury. Apply now to steward at the UK's top festivals | Oxfam GB (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding/apply)

The deposit is £205 each which seems a lot but you can do as many festivals as you like throughout the whole season for that and you do get it back. You will also get a free campervan pass, free meals per shift, free phone charging and best of all free loos and showers especially for the Oxfam crew.

If you look on the website at the FAQs you should find answers to nearly all of your questions. It's really good and much more informative than the forum.

I'm so excited that we may do some festies together and if you need any more info. just ask or PM me. x :cool1::cool1::cool1:

stepaway
31-03-2013, 11:22
Just booked tickets for Latitude, so looking forward to July now.

rosstheboss
01-04-2013, 13:04
Me and my friend are booked for Rockness this year for the 3rd year running and we have never been searched on entry. You get asked if you have glass bottles (say no obviously!) and they take a quick look inside through the window which I think is really to make sure you don't have any stowaways. You're not allowed fires or BBQs which isn't really a problem to us as we bring our own food and there are lots of very good vans selling all sorts of unusual (albeit expensive) food. The usual no outside food or glass bottles in the main arena applies as I would imagine is the case for most festivals. Everyone gets a quick pat down at Rockness but the bouncers seem to be very lenient.

As for the festival itself it is definitely aimed at the under 30s with mainly electronic and indie music. It unfortunately has been getting more expensive each year; it cost us £139 each for entry and £80 for the van! then there are the booking fees on top. The field for the vans is pretty rough and not particularly level and offers nothing apart from a big plastic box to empty the toilet into.
It's a great atmosphere though; everyone seems friendly with plenty of harmless nutters going about. I've heard some of the most hardcore music I've ever heard there which suits me just fine! Then of course there is the location:
Beautiful views of Loch Ness behind the main stage.

I am really hoping to find something a bit smaller and less commercial for next year (or maybe later this year). Atmosphere at a festival is always the primary consideration then it's the music!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS