PDA

View Full Version : 'France Passion' - Free motorhome stopovers with wine growers and farmers of france!

alexarb
24-06-2012, 15:34
France Passion UK agent Vicarious Books French motorhome vineyard and farm stopover guide. (http://www.france-passion.co.uk/)

Not sure if it's been posted yet. It's a really good thing to know about.
My parents use it every year and said it's great!
You buy the book with window sticker and member card (£25) and you can stay at any site for free.
Plenty of locations throughout france - map - http://www.france-passion.co.uk/pdf/french_passion_map.pdf

Makzine
24-06-2012, 15:44
Used it and Love it :heart::heart::heart: Takes you just off the tracks into proper France:drive::wave:

Bushtrekker
24-06-2012, 18:33
I ordered the Aires book on Wednesday from them, paid extra for first class post and it hasn't arrived yet. The scheme sounds good, but I would be wary about ordering it as there are only five posts before we go.

witzend
24-06-2012, 19:30
Don't worry about the French Passion sites we've stayed at several with out membership with out any problems it's not in their interest to turn away a potential customer if the aeries book doesn't arrive you can download from this link its just as good

i-Camping car - Le site d'informations sur les aires de services pour camping cars. (http://i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm)

SWW
24-06-2012, 21:06
French Passion is a great book. Last year we stayed on a pimento farm in the far south west, vineyards and even a cider farm in Normandy.

rach82
24-06-2012, 21:51
Thanks for this - will look at getting one - sounds interesting!

vwalan
24-06-2012, 22:07
save your money get an aires book in france .anyway they have aires in most places and i have never had a prob stopping in places any way.

rach82
24-06-2012, 22:14
Thanks vwalan - will do :)

nesbo
21-08-2012, 13:55
Save money and BUY THE BOOK..

Having just returned from 18 days in France (North, Middle and South) we had a fantastic time due mainly to the purchase of our France Passion book.

Aires are Aires and in most cases tick the box, but as we found the ones in popular locations are usually full, and it’s a fight to get into them. Then once your there you have to battle to squeeze into a space where the campers around you have inconsiderately put out tables and awning which infringe other spaces. This really pee’d me off on many occasion and in Dieppe resulted in an argument !!! They also can also be noisy. I am not saying I am against Aires because I am not, they just are what they are hit-or-miss. Saved our skin on 2 occasions and we were grateful for them and the water we most desperately needed.

Now France Passion – what a truly fantastic scheme (I know this because I have done it) and for these reasons -:

1. We never arrived at a full one
2. Ample amounts of room - more than you will get on any paying site or aire
3. You get to meet real people who want to show you there way of life – seriously interesting
4. You will be offered produce that you may not be able to buy in a shop
5. In the vineyards you will receive a courtesy wine tasting session
6. On your return leg stock your camper with the finest wines in France costing between 4-6 euro a bottle

I cannot speak more highly of this scheme – its is fantastic.

This website is mostly about promoting wild camping in our campervans – it is my experience and not unfounded opinion that the France Passion scheme is the safest and most comfortable way for you to find wild sites in France.

Honestly – spend the £25-£30 on the book – the produce you will buy, the places you will see, the memories you will gain and the fun you will have negates this cost even if it was double or treble.

If you have any questions – please ask..

trevnsuegirt
21-08-2012, 16:56
France Passion UK agent Vicarious Books French motorhome vineyard and farm stopover guide. (http://www.france-passion.co.uk/)

Not sure if it's been posted yet. It's a really good thing to know about.
My parents use it every year and said it's great!
You buy the book with window sticker and member card (£25) and you can stay at any site for free.
Plenty of locations throughout france - map - http://www.france-passion.co.uk/pdf/french_passion_map.pdf

We have the All the Aires Book, as well as the France Passion, because generally you're covered wherever you are. We'll drive to a France Passion not just to avoid paying on an Aire, but also because they're usually much nicer (but not always...). The All the Aires book is brilliant as it has photos of the Aires and pretty much gives an accurate description, so we've often been able to decide between an Aire and a FP without having to go and look.

We've been to a real variety of FPs - from the cider farms/vineyards to a ramshackle quirky activity centre near Dreux.

Best of all is that we now have Brit Stops trying to replicate FP. Can recommend!

theteapackets
21-08-2012, 18:49
Best of all is that we now have Brit Stops trying to replicate FP. Can recommend!

If you recommend somewhere to Brit Stops and that place becomes a host, you get free membership for a year too :D

Devadave
22-08-2012, 05:46
Its nearly September , so surely it's best to wait till 2013 FP? Unless of course you are going before the end of December :wacko::wacko:

MORGANTHEMOON
22-08-2012, 06:09
Save money and BUY THE BOOK..

Having just returned from 18 days in France (North, Middle and South) we had a fantastic time due mainly to the purchase of our France Passion book.

Aires are Aires and in most cases tick the box, but as we found the ones in popular locations are usually full, and it’s a fight to get into them. Then once your there you have to battle to squeeze into a space where the campers around you have inconsiderately put out tables and awning which infringe other spaces. This really pee’d me off on many occasion and in Dieppe resulted in an argument !!! They also can also be noisy. I am not saying I am against Aires because I am not, they just are what they are hit-or-miss. Saved our skin on 2 occasions and we were grateful for them and the water we most desperately needed.

Now France Passion – what a truly fantastic scheme (I know this because I have done it) and for these reasons -:

1. We never arrived at a full one
2. Ample amounts of room - more than you will get on any paying site or aire
3. You get to meet real people who want to show you there way of life – seriously interesting
4. You will be offered produce that you may not be able to buy in a shop
5. In the vineyards you will receive a courtesy wine tasting session
6. On your return leg stock your camper with the finest wines in France costing between 4-6 euro a bottle

I cannot speak more highly of this scheme – its is fantastic.

This website is mostly about promoting wild camping in our campervans – it is my experience and not unfounded opinion that the France Passion scheme is the safest and most comfortable way for you to find wild sites in France.

Honestly – spend the £25-£30 on the book – the produce you will buy, the places you will see, the memories you will gain and the fun you will have negates this cost even if it was double or treble.

If you have any questions – please ask..

Great post Nesbo

ellisboy
22-08-2012, 06:28
Its nearly September , so surely it's best to wait till 2013 FP? Unless of course you are going before the end of December :wacko::wacko:

No! you can use it all year round,some don't have to go away in the school holidays,France is much quieter at the end of August.
Yes agree with Morgan, great post Nesbo!

fairytooth
22-08-2012, 07:17
No! you can use it all year round,some don't have to go away in the school holidays,France is much quieter at the end of August.
Yes agree with Morgan, great post Nesbo!
I think the worry was the the year is rapidly slipping by and not long before the next book coming out. From memory though the FP year runs from Easter time roughly. Also I wouldn't worry too much about having the current year's membership to access sites, there are plenty of nice vineyards, etc. that will be very happy to let you on whether you are a 'valid' member or not. It's just that new sites emerge and some old ones close so best to be up to date.

BambiOwner
22-08-2012, 14:06
If you recommend somewhere to Brit Stops and that place becomes a host, you get free membership for a year too :D

We have been members of Bri Stops since it first started and we have save a load of money by being members, we are thinking of joining FP as well but will now wait until next year when we go again,I love the vine yards and the tour around and at least the motorhome is parked there so I can sleep off all that drink.

stevebill
21-08-2013, 11:05
Im having a problem with the France Passion website- anyone had the same? II particularly need the GPS downloads for all the sites in the book which - naturally- doesnt give hem. However, having paid the money for France Passion 2013, and logged in, I find that my GPS (and many others) is not on their list of units able to download the information! A bit annoying, having paid for the membership. As yet I have had no reply to my message to France Passion.
Theoretically, it should be possible for me to download into a laptop, then upload into a GPS - anyone tried and succeeded?

fairytooth
21-08-2013, 11:16
Im having a problem with the France Passion website- anyone had the same? II particularly need the GPS downloads for all the sites in the book which - naturally- doesnt give hem. However, having paid the money for France Passion 2013, and logged in, I find that my GPS (and many others) is not on their list of units able to download the information! A bit annoying, having paid for the membership. As yet I have had no reply to my message to France Passion.
Theoretically, it should be possible for me to download into a laptop, then upload into a GPS - anyone tried and succeeded?

It's not really as easy as that I'm afraid. It all depends on the file formats they offer. There should be one that will work with Google Earth but satnavs have their own generic file type associated with each make.

dave and mary
21-08-2013, 13:05
Been using the book camperstop for the last 3 years it covers all of Europe and is only £25 and the down loads if you wont them are about 3euroes a country, last year we visited , or past through 7 country's the book was great showing all the free stop over, can really recommend it we will never use any thing else now.

:drive: :drive:

Pauljenny
21-08-2013, 13:24
We stopped on one in May on the N135 just north of Bordeaux on the Saintes road in the Cotes du Blaye.

He had attatched a sign to his FP board saying "free entry to campingcars " .Magic words to a Yorkshireman ! arrived late and turned in .

Imagine tasting top wines at 9.30 am, and true to form, choosing the cheapest ,(before he showed me the pricelist ) ! Free bottle with every 6 purchased , too.

He told me that ,because of the crisis , most of his drive- by tasters were motor homers and most vinyards were having to offer similar incentives to get any business . Not many Tykes will be shelling out £25 for the book !

Crisis ? what crisis ?

MORGANTHEMOON
21-08-2013, 13:27
We stopped on one in May on the N135 just north of Bordeaux on the Saintes road in the Cotes du Blaye.

He had attatched a sign to his FP board saying "free entry to campingcars " .Magic words to a Yorkshireman ! arrived late and turned in .

Imagine tasting top wines at 9.30 am, and true to form, choosing the cheapest ,(before he showed me the pricelist ) ! Free bottle with every 6 purchased , too.

He told me that ,because of the crisis , most of his drive- by tasters were motor homers and most vinyards were having to offer similar incentives to get any business . Not many Tykes will be shelling out £25 for the book !

Crisis ? what crisis ?

What sort of price do they charge for wine?

Pauljenny
21-08-2013, 13:40
Excellent Red , Full body , Big red fuits 4.70 € x 6 /7= 4.03€ a bottle .

Bad news was I only had room for 1 case ,having filled up with Rjoca at 5.99 a throw at Lidl in Spain.

Alas only a memory now, gave most of it away to friends who know a bit about wine .... Didn't dare tell them what I'd paid for it tho !

stevebill
21-08-2013, 15:28
Interesting thread - coincides with a question I asked earlier.
I bought France Passion 2013, so that I could have access to the GPS co-ordinates. However, having paid the fee and logged in to the website I find that my GPS is not on the list of those able to download their software !!
Thats flipping annoying and I have emailed France Passion to find out how to get round it, otherwise my fee is wasted largely.
Anyone got any ideas re a computer fix/ crack/ bit of wizardry??
thanks Stevebill

rugbyken
21-08-2013, 20:03
i always try and fit a trip in late september early oct most of the supermarkets have some stunning BOG OF deals the best we got in an Auchan was buy 2 crates get 5 free think that worked out at 42 bottles for 52 euros damn good stuff 13.5% bordeaux oh you normally have to do degustation before 7 which can get difficult if you want to get a good few bottles,
haven't quite got the translation yet whether its the new vintages coming in thier selling off or clearing thier warehouses of the old stock but most have a few pallets on discounted deals,

fairytooth
24-08-2013, 09:41
Interesting thread - coincides with a question I asked earlier.
I bought France Passion 2013, so that I could have access to the GPS co-ordinates. However, having paid the fee and logged in to the website I find that my GPS is not on the list of those able to download their software !!
Thats flipping annoying and I have emailed France Passion to find out how to get round it, otherwise my fee is wasted largely.
Anyone got any ideas re a computer fix/ crack/ bit of wizardry??
thanks Stevebill

Hi Stevebill, it ought to be possible to convert some of the file types depending on what satnav you have. If you can let me have your email address and your satnav details I'll see what can be done for you.

Skatts
24-08-2013, 11:42
We are hoping to go to France next year without booking anywhere and just choose where we want to stay along the way ,mainly wilding hopefully ,hence why I became a member here to have access to the French POI dls ,do I need one of these books too ? At this rate it would have been cheaper to book some sites ;)
Also I only have a Tomtom One ,can you put France maps on that ( it has a memory card slot) or do I need a new satnav too?:(

Skatts
24-08-2013, 12:39
Thank you David :)
Unfortunately,having one child of school age still ,we are restricted to July and August, I had noted that the French holiday coincide with ours :(
Lets hope everyone in France goes abroad for their holls ;)

dave and mary
24-08-2013, 13:35
We are hoping to go to France next year without booking anywhere and just choose where we want to stay along the way ,mainly wilding hopefully ,hence why I became a member here to have access to the French POI dls ,do I need one of these books too ? At this rate it would have been cheaper to book some sites ;)
Also I only have a Tomtom One ,can you put France maps on that ( it has a memory card slot) or do I need a new satnav too?:(

Been using the book camperstop for the last 3 years it covers all of Europe and is only £25 and the down loads if you wont them are about 3euroes a country, last year we visited , or past through 7 country's the book was great showing all the free stop over, can really recommend it we will never use any thing else now.

Well worth looking into it has all you need in it.

:drive: :drive:

Skatts
24-08-2013, 13:40
:We were hoping to head to the Pyrenees ,we dislike beaches ,swimming pools or anything touristy. We just like to walk and to climb and relax with a glass of wine and a Bbq in an evening.
Originally ,our first adventure was meant to be the Italian Alps but feared it may be a lil too much for first timers .
Hubby loves France and my youngest is struggling in French so we are hoping France would be a good compromise ,plus, I have never been :)

Oops ,sorry for the thread hijack :o

fairytooth
24-08-2013, 13:58

Yes you can use your current tomtom. I've sent you a Private Message with some info. Your memory card slot will take the map and POIs.

Skatts
24-08-2013, 17:53
Oh ,fantastic thank you ,Hubby was convinced he was told it was UK only when he bought it umpteen yrs ago ,I will double check it has a slot :)
Thank you David ,that sounds just our cup of tea or Armagnac;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS