PDA

View Full Version : First long trip, off to Uist from Devon

Kerri
25-06-2012, 20:44
Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this
I have been a member for a few months but this is my first post. We are taking out first long trip at the end of August since getting our MH I have 16 days off work so off to see an old friend on Uist via Isles of Skye, Lewis & Harris then to Barra. I am hoping to get a lot of help & advice from you all as to stop overs for rest, refueling , water & gas fill ups on the way.
I am hoping to get to the other side of Manchester by sat morning I am leaving on Fri evening & plan to go via the motor way resting at service stations, I have been told I can only stop at these for 2 hours is this correct if so do I have to pay to park for longer, if anybody can advise me on safe stops to grab a couple of hours rest between Bristol & north of Manchester it would be welcome.
Once past Manchester I can take my time and stop where and when I want so am looking for some suggestions.

Any help or advice will be very welcome as this is my first real trip out & would like to do as much wilding as possible.

Deleted user 21925
25-06-2012, 21:43
A belated welcome to the site and good luck with your trip.

Funky Farmer
25-06-2012, 22:11
I can't help you I'm afraid I'm new to all this too but I wish you well on your trip. I bet you are getting really excited

sasquatch
25-06-2012, 22:17
If you can move a bit further North Teebay services on the M6 J38 has a campsite Cumbria - the Lake District Caravan Park | Westmorland (http://www.westmorland.com/node/18)
The service have been open since 1972 and are privately owned.

isle of skye
26-06-2012, 21:41
Hello and welcome, well just to say we too live in Devon and travel to skye (hense my name) at least once if not twice a year. Many times we just head off over night and do twelve hours to Loch Lomond but last two trips we have broken it up and the most recent one we found the best stops,we always look out from the m5/m6 to any signs that are country parks look them up in a travel map then google earth the area for stops this has been absolutely great but if you cant do this one stop near manchester is Beacon Park off at jct 26 then follow signs to beacon park about three seperate parking spots then back on at jct 27 as i said any country parks or nearby lakes etc have usually come up fine and we never go more than about fifteen mins from motorway. Further north you go it gets even easier another lovely stop is Hawkeswater Res. or wet sleddale reservoir junc 39 m6 you can see it from turn off just, follow your view. Personally we never stop at services to rest dont find them restful in any way would much rather pull off alittle further and have a view or just peace and quiet to get some sleep, and we are very careful with fuel so dont go to far off the beaten also a good tip check out asda's/tesco/any other superstore sites on way for fuel, many are literally as you pull of ie carlise asda great stop cheap fuel nice store and will take you through to highlands. May be worth top up though before you leave helensborough or nearby as you will pay once you start going further,however wild camping cheap sites great spots in abundence once you there wish i was coming but done mine this year and letting hubby and son do father and son bonding thing up there next trip in sep, im staying here uh!

winks
26-06-2012, 22:00
All good advice so far.

If you need gas whilst on the islands the co-op shops carry Calor gas and are open all sorts of hours. Stay on Reef Beach on Lewis if you need showers and stuff, handy for Timsgarry co-op. We even got a 6kg bottle there on a bank holiday. You'll also find water and toilet emptying facilities at the ferry piers.

You will have a grand time:wave:

Kerri
20-07-2012, 21:28
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but had to have some time off work so took my sister down to carnwall in the MH, many thanks to you all for your help & advice. I will see how far up I can get on the Friday night the problem I have is that my other half doesn't drive so it's all down to me.
I must admit I am realy looking forward to the trip. I have decided not to take all my dogs on the trip, I have 3 Bichon Frise 2 of them are a bit inferm but the other is only young so will love it, my grand daughter is moving in to look after the other 2.

ellisboy
20-07-2012, 21:56
:have fun: We have a Bichon , loverly dogs :banana:

champstar
21-07-2012, 07:03
You will have a wonderful time on the islands..are you planning to use sites or wild it. If the latter the Uists are full of wonderful beaches where you can park up and noone bothers you....Garrynamonie on S.Uist is a great stop..you can see Barra from there. The situation on Barra is somewhat different these days only a few wild spots left but a lot of the crofters are developing small sites....dont go to the rip off merchants...there are some. We stayed at Angus JOhn Morrisons at Scurrival 01871 890292 or 07896 471580, he is cheap and a really nice guy..a real islander. 200m from a wonderful beach.

What perplexes me is that you say your are going to Uists then harris/lewis and then to Barra....? seems a very odd way to go to islands further north then come all the way back?

thewildcampers
21-07-2012, 21:54
May be worth top up though before you leave helensborough or nearby as you will pay once you start going further,however wild camping cheap sites great spots in abundence once you there wish i was coming but done mine this year and letting hubby and son do father and son bonding thing up there next trip in sep, im staying here uh!

Hi
we live in dumbarton about 5miles from loch lomond & the esso garage on the A82 is a good place to fuel up. A popular overnight park is at Duck Bay Marina also on the A82
Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBGB466GB467&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1093&bih=453&wrapid=tlif134290721324710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=duckbay+marina&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=duckbay+marina&hnear=0x48884d562a7d8439:0x7f1b30b2e566de62,Dumbar ton&cid=0,0,14814783395316379664&sa=X&ei=ViMLUOrEMMaW0QWi-9y2Cg&ved=0CKcBEPwSMAk)
There are also other parking spots all along the loch side with no overnight parking signs

Lynn xx

lotty
21-07-2012, 22:07
welcome to the site and I hope you have a fantastic time :fun:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS