PDA

View Full Version : First timers advice for Greece

Shpatz
05-07-2012, 06:31
Hi, we are two families traveling to Greece in mid august.
We are renting camper vans in Athens and intend to go around the main land for ten days
I really don't feel like being cramped in camping sites a lll the time.
Looking for wild spots to stop for the night.
What is the general rule for this? Is it o.k.? Can I stop my camper in a parking lot or a gravel clearing?
We are planning to go to meteora evryitania Phillion etc

Would appreciate the help
Ron

julie1
05-07-2012, 09:30
Hiya Ron
I'm not sure of the practicalities of wildcamping in mid August.
We went 2 years ago for 4 months and managed to wildcamp all the time apart from 10 days where we used campsites for washing bedding etc.
We went out of season from March as I wanted to be there for Easter.
We went to central Greece (Sterea Ellada region) but not as far north as Meteora and this area is very scenic. We visited the Pelion peninsula, Evia and some of the Peloponnese.
We managed to park at many lovely beaches but we also had to make do with gravel clearings and the odd car park as well but we made sure we parked responsibly and never had chairs etc out. Towards the end of our tour of Greece it did start getting busier and many of the established 'wildcamping spots' were full of vans which of course attracts attention, although it was still being tolerated.
You may be OK in the North as it isn't quite as touristy (apart from the ancient sites you might want to visit and these may have car parks which you may be able to use for a night).
I don't have any co-ordinates for the places we stayed as we used maps.
I'm sure other people on here will have further information and will be along to help you.
However you do it, just enjoy and have great trip
There is a really good website which is full of practical information for motorhoming in Greece at MagBaz Travels (http://www.magbaztravels.com)
Julie

John H
05-07-2012, 10:19
Hi

We were last in Greece afew years back so any specific information I give may be out of date but the following general points may help:

1. In the interior, if you pull up in the centre of any small village that actually has enough space for your vans then ask the local priest if its ok to stay the night. The priest usually rules the roost around here and you may well find him in the local taverna. For the price of a drink he will probably let you stay forever!
2. Try the car parks of some of the major tourist attractions (we stayed at several, including Monemvasia and Mycaenae but they wouldn't allow us to stop at Olympia)
3. Ask at the local tourist information office - that is the way we found a good spot in the village of Olympia.
4. Tavernas with car parks will almost certainly let you stay if you eat there (one on the Mani Peninsula actually had a shower for us to use too!).
5. Virtually anywhere inland is ok and so are many beaches (especially away from the touristy bits) and beach showers are common.

But remember not to abuse any hospitality - leave no trace behind, don't stay too long and don't leave out anything that might be construed as camping rather than parking. If you do get asked to move by the police then politely ask them if they know of anywhere you might park without annoying anybody and they may well lead you to a good spot (it happened to us).

Have a good trip.

smallmomma
02-08-2012, 22:13
Hi

We were last in Greece afew years back so any specific information I give may be out of date but the following general points may help:

1. In the interior, if you pull up in the centre of any small village that actually has enough space for your vans then ask the local priest if its ok to stay the night. The priest usually rules the roost around here and you may well find him in the local taverna. For the price of a drink he will probably let you stay forever!
2. Try the car parks of some of the major tourist attractions (we stayed at several, including Monemvasia and Mycaenae but they wouldn't allow us to stop at Olympia)
3. Ask at the local tourist information office - that is the way we found a good spot in the village of Olympia.
4. Tavernas with car parks will almost certainly let you stay if you eat there (one on the Mani Peninsula actually had a shower for us to use too!).
5. Virtually anywhere inland is ok and so are many beaches (especially away from the touristy bits) and beach showers are common.

But remember not to abuse any hospitality - leave no trace behind, don't stay too long and don't leave out anything that might be construed as camping rather than parking. If you do get asked to move by the police then politely ask them if they know of anywhere you might park without annoying anybody and they may well lead you to a good spot (it happened to us).

Have a good trip.

look, April - June or Mid September to Nov. Unless you have some serious ac you will fry in August - try camping in 45 degrees. I was there in June and even then my steering wheel was difficult to touch.

Never had any problems wilding: try Lefkada, Neo Xoroi and krisi acti in the pellopense and of course Messalongi (where byron died).Stopped at a great beach just inside Greece after being in Albania oppsosite Corfu. A complete stranger came over and gave me a cup of coffee in the morning.

camperbob
08-08-2012, 20:37
Hi, we are two families traveling to Greece in mid august.
We are renting camper vans in Athens and intend to go around the main land for ten days
I really don't feel like being cramped in camping sites a lll the time.
Looking for wild spots to stop for the night.
What is the general rule for this? Is it o.k.? Can I stop my camper in a parking lot or a gravel clearing?
We are planning to go to meteora evryitania Phillion etc

Would appreciate the help
Ron

august is very very hot, we went easter time perfect.

christine
08-08-2012, 22:10
Peejay has made a marvellous job of this: Peejays Greece Stopovers.Just put that into Google.

I also think August would be a killer in a motorhome in Greece.

katerinapan
20-08-2012, 13:21
hello Ron

sorry for the late answer
last year we went in a tour to greece mainland. The only problem was in Meteora, when we had to leave from the spot we parked at 12.00 at night when a police man came, telling us that here it is not allowed to park and sleep. It's a shame because i am greek but i can not understand how things are working here. The problem was that this whole area is in church property. Any way, I would recommend Arsenis campsite, i dont think you can find something else nearby ( there are no big parking ect). Generally in Greece there are almost no camper stops.... But although there are a lot of no camper parking signs, i think things are very tolerant, as long as you don't provoke and respect others....
hope to have fun
katerina

MORGANTHEMOON
20-08-2012, 16:27
Welcome to the site.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS