PDA

View Full Version : Our Holiday To Mull and Loch Etive,

christine
14-07-2012, 16:35
Well, what can I say, after all my concerns about the weather and our leaking van everything turned out wonderfully well and we had the most amazing, memorable holiday on Mull.

We set off on the Friday, the day after torrential rain all over the country and the day we discovered the van was still leaking. Not a brilliant start but things looked up very quickly.

Our first night we stayed on a small 5 van site near Abington in Lanarkshire. Believe it or not, not a drop of rain fell during this journey.It did, however, rain a little during the night.

The next day was bright and breezy with intermittent rain and a magnificent high of 13c. We chose to take in Glen Orchy, north of Loch Lomond and south of Glencoe,a beautiful road that follows the river all the way to Dalmally. It was pretty evident it had rained here rather a lot as the river was exceptionally full and the series of spectacular waterfalls were just that.They were raging and we stopped to watch a group of kyaks manouvreing their way down river over some of the lesser falls.
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1080989.jpg

We were surprised (and pleased) at the total lack of people as this was the very first day of the Scottish school holidays. This continued to be the case throughout our fortnight incredibly.

Saturday night saw us free camping at Taynault, on Loch Etive, a 17 mile long sea loch that is mainly unaccessible apart from it's western end and a very minor road at the head of the loch. We were joined by local fishermen who seemed to have an amazing amount of patience as they fished for mackerel from the old jetty. Strangely, they always appeared to fish on a falling tide which is contrary to what we believe, that you fish on an incoming tide.Anyway, most seemed to be absolute fanatics, unlike Nick and I!!

There are a number of swans that live on the loch in this vicinity, they have been hand reared by an English couple who lived not far away. They came down to talk to the swans and us and they turned out to be interesting folks.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090206.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090198.jpg

The following morning we headed into Oban and caught the midday ferry to Craignure on Mull. Would you believe the minute we set foot on Mull, the sun broke through and by the time we had found our next wild camping spot on Loch na Keal, it was cracking the tiles!

We stayed on Loch na Keal for three days, fishing from our inflateable boat and catching so many fish we had to give them away to other campers within the vicinity!! One day we smoked on our smoker loads of mackerel I had filleted and covered in cracked black pepper. Delicious!!

Just behind us was a series of waterfalls cascading down to the shore, passing under the road bridge that a day after we left this spot, was literally washed away during a freak storm. We were very fortunate as the road had to be closed and people rescued.We were joined by the local cows and sheep who would wander passed us a few times a day.It was strange to see cows on the beach!

One morning we awoke to a double rainbow, quite an amazing sight.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090094.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090056.jpg

From Loch na Keal we headed to the south of the island, to our favourite place, Uisken beach. Here, you can camp for the sum of 2 per person per night right on the beach. No facilities but what a location. Again, we were stunned to find ourselves the only people camped here until one other van joined us. We again caught loads of fish from our boat, including a couple of large pollock which I filleted and froze. Fortunately, there were a few people about to give our spare fish to!!

From our camping spot here, we watched dolphins following sailing boats, a wonderful sight. I also spotted what I think is a mink, it posed perfectly for me. I at first thought it was an otter but disappointingly it wasn't.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090126.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090178.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090176.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090173.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090147.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/cf280bed/random/P1090120.jpg

After four days of temperatures that peaked at 23c it was time to head back to Craignure for the ferry. We once again camped at Taynault, this time for three days so we could get our boat out. The fishing was not as productive on Loch Etive but the views were terrific. On our last day fishing we hit gold and caught about fifteen mackerel which again, I smoked.

Time was marching on and we felt it was time to head back to Cumbria to check our son was ok and the house and cat had survived his handling.What a superb, relaxing holiday we had - no television, no newspapers, no radio, just plenty of fresh, sea air and a few good books! And hardly a midge to be seen!!!

lotusanne
14-07-2012, 17:18
looks and sounds fabulous Christine, great pics! Glad you enjoyed it - we had floods here again whilst you were away in sunny scotland!

christine
14-07-2012, 21:46
Thanks,lotusanne.

elainekirk
14-07-2012, 22:26
Christine the holiday sounds memorable I am looking forward to viewing the pics when I have access to my comp

rach82
14-07-2012, 23:24
AMAZING pics - I am sooooooooooooo jelous!!

herbenny
15-07-2012, 07:55
Amazing Pics thanks for sharing your trip with us sounds wonderful ...now I really cant wait to head up to Scotland :dance:

Deleted user 21925
15-07-2012, 08:21
Fantastic pictures, a Unicorn wouldn't have looked out of place there!

tranivanman
15-07-2012, 08:44
wonderful report on what sounds like a wonderful holiday
we did a simular trip in May and like you enjoyed every minute, whilst on mull we did a boat trip to staffa island in fantastic sunshine, amazing and well worth the money.

we were fortunate to see otters and eagles, both sorts, white tailed and the golden eagle.

we are planning to go again as we enjoyed it so much
I always have made my way up to the north of scotland and this was our first trip to the inner islands, we did Arran,Kintyre,Islay back to Oban and then to Mull, and I was very immpressed.

we had a "hopscotch" ticket which we have found very good value.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

tranivanman

Lee
15-07-2012, 09:02
Sounds great another trip on the wish list

Ether
15-07-2012, 09:07
The photograph of the mink remined me of our tip to mid-Wales earlier this year. We stayed on a CL and pitched next to a river. W were invited to fish for trout if we we wished. However, we were told that until recently there were plenty of fish but they had now been decimated by mink. The animal rights people have a lot to answer for.

Deleted user 21925
15-07-2012, 09:15
The photograph of the mink remined me of our tip to mid-Wales earlier this year. We stayed on a CL and pitched next to a river. W were invited to fish for trout if we we wished. However, we were told that until recently there were plenty of fish but they had now been decimated by mink. The animal rights people have a lot to answer for.

So true, the AR supporters ignorantly, but I suppose with the best intentions, released a non indigenous species into the countryside causing untold damage to our own indigenous species. The Fur trade also must take their share of the blame. Similar stories can be related to Red Squirrels, Grass Carp, Signal Crayfish, Giant Hogweed etc. etc.

christine
15-07-2012, 10:32
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. This was our second trip to Mull, the first in 2006 when we swore we would return.

We, also, always head up to the north west of Scotland, apart from last year when we headed for Thurso and turned eastwards, our first trip to the north east of Scotland. Although we found some lovely places,we definitely prefer the west!

I shall be writing a report on Virtual Tourist, adding tips to my Mull and Loch Etive pages. For anyone interested, my travel pages are here:

nickandchris's Travel Map (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/m/87f23/)

Boxerman
15-07-2012, 12:26
A very enjoyable read,good photos. Nice to hear that the mackkys are in on the west coast.
We've just returned from a couple of weeks in Shetland and are staying with our daughter in Aberdeen for a few days before heading for Ullapool then down the west coast and home.

Frank

runnach
15-07-2012, 16:32
Fantastic report, Christine. I,m sitting here watching gannets dive for food and, thinking a trip back to Mull this October sounds like a plan?

We went to L Etive last week, had hoped to campus for the night, unfortunately ASBO material were tented up on the guise of fishing from same pier, approx 13.00 hrs, steaming on buckfast, cheaply wine!

I look forward to viewing your pictures when we return home Wednesday.

Regards.."

Go wild
15-07-2012, 16:57
A great read, thanks for sharing

christine
15-07-2012, 19:12
Runnach, we missed the asbo lot by a day, their fire was still burning when we arrived.Spoke to a group of kayakers in tents who said life had been hell that night and that motorhomes had arrived and left.All was fine upon our arrival and we had a really quiet three nights with the kayakers.Spoke to some locals and apparently there had been a gig on at the village hall but acording to the kayakers the asbo's were here for the fishing as well as he partying and left a hell of a mess to clear up. Shame we missed you!

christine
16-07-2012, 13:33
Just put some more photos from our holiday on Facebook. Hope the link works.

Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.471110826241642.112954.100000281850685&type=1)

kimbowbill
16-07-2012, 13:56
Thanks so much for sharing these Christine, its brought back some memories for me, i just love Mull, in fact, i just love Scotland, brill photo's

runnach
17-07-2012, 18:51
Runnach, we missed the asbo lot by a day, their fire was still burning when we arrived.Spoke to a group of kayakers in tents who said life had been hell that night and that motorhomes had arrived and left.All was fine upon our arrival and we had a really quiet three nights with the kayakers.Spoke to some locals and apparently there had been a gig on at the village hall but acording to the kayakers the asbo's were here for the fishing as well as he partying and left a hell of a mess to clear up. Shame we missed you!

Hi, loved the pics, thanks!

I wonder if same kayakers? I met three as they were heading to top end of loch, mix of camping and bothy. I offered each of them a tenner each to drop through the Falls of Lora on the flood, the scaredies declined :danger:

Aye, would certainly have been good to have met you both too, I could have hung around the wilding spot for a day or three, when I viewed head clan chief ASBO, all dressed in traditional chav trakkie, baseball cap, I thought I found the missing link :lol-053:

Regards.........

christine
17-07-2012, 21:26
The kayakers were there from Friday and one of their kayaks was fitted with an electronic fish-finder! They were a nice bunch.

runnach
17-07-2012, 21:50
The kayakers were there from Friday and one of their kayaks was fitted with an electronic fish-finder! They were a nice bunch.

Not the same group, guys I chatted to, were hard core kayakers, no fishing gear or sounder in with their gear.

Just been checking CalMac website, I will catch latter end of their summer timetable, I'm pondering whether to go via Oban, or my usual route to Lochaline?

I use to manage fine on Morven towing my then 5.5 metre RHIB, no boat now, but new motor is a tad wider than the norn :confused:

christine
18-07-2012, 10:18
I'm sure you will be fine on the Lochaline road - we crossed from here in 2006. Our only problem with the smaller ferries is our low overhang which we alwaus crump coming off the Corran ferry as well as Lochaline- Fishnish.

We opted for the Oban crossing simply because it saved on wear and tear on the van and also time and petrol. The single fare with two adults was 66 something - not cheap but it suited us. You also get free parking in Oban while you are waiting for the ferry so gives you chance to look round!!

However you get there it will be wonderful! I don't know whether the Loch Na Keal road on the south side will have re-opened by then, after the bridges were washed away. I think you can get so far along from the Gruline end but have to return the same route, which you probably would do with a wide van. It is pretty hairy at the western end where the cliffs close right in on you!

runnach
18-07-2012, 13:01
Thanks for the heads up on road conditions, Christine. I'll monitor repair situ between now and October, situation does read severe though, I'll also contact my mate who lives in Tob.

Re: cliffs on west side, I was thinking of turning left out of Fishnish, tour in a clockwise fashion, thought process being, new motor is LHD, better position from a falling over the cliff point of view :scared:

Info below, for anyone else thinking of heading to Mull.

Mull road closed after landslides | Walkhighlands news & reviews (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/mull-road-closed-after-landslides/007223/)

hillwalker
19-07-2012, 16:32
some great pics there , and amazing scenery ,, cheers for sharing

Le Foot
12-08-2012, 19:56
Wonderful pictures!! We are likely to be going to Mull in Sept., can you pinpoint where on Loch na Keal you stayed, and took the pictures..
Thanks,
Jackie:o

christine
13-08-2012, 21:32
Jackie, paste this into google earth.

56.457452,-6.047719

redsmall6
13-08-2012, 22:09
just back from this location spent 5 days there
excellent views, the road was shut just up from this due to bridge repairs.
am already looking forward to my definite return visit

winks
13-08-2012, 22:14
Great set of pics Christine. We loved Mull too.

By the way, was that you down at Honeypot Lane last Friday? Just recognised the van from your pictures...

Cheers

Harold and Roseann

christine
14-08-2012, 09:21
Harold and Roseann, yes it was us. Who were you???

winks
14-08-2012, 10:51
Harold and Roseann, yes it was us. Who were you???

We were in the Hymer parked down the far end. Just down for a barbi tea with our Daughter and family, left about half six. We live on Ocean Road so it's a regular for us when chippy tea is on the menu :tongue:

Give you a shout when we see you in future...

H

christine
14-08-2012, 14:26
Right, we thought maybe you were staying on the site at the SouthEnd. As we only live in Dalton, any good weather we get and we are available, we go to Walney. Used to live in Strathaird Ave. as a child in the 60's.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS