PDA

View Full Version : What film had the biggest effect on you

MORGANTHEMOON
15-07-2012, 16:17
What film had the biggest effect on you when you were in your teens?

I was never the same after seeing Barbarella.

Barbarella and the Iceman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0bBj_e5B4&feature=related)

donkey too
15-07-2012, 16:19
that has got to be Soldier Blue. It reminds one just how bad we goodies can be.

vwalan
15-07-2012, 16:25
hi, cliff in summer holiday .liked the film like the music and liked where they went . we had just come back from a similar trip when the film came out .it was also the second time i had visited the pictures as a small kid .but still sing it when going away . and still visit some of the places .
dont wear string t shirts now though .

herbenny
15-07-2012, 16:29
I am old fashioned girl at heart and loved anything with Frank Sinatra or Steve Mcqueen .....I think I have an old soul.
'City of Angels' is a favourite of mine and 'Contact' with Jodie Foster....in fact might just put this on tonight.

But my all time favourite drool drool 'Andy Garcia' in 'when a man loves a woman' :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::t ongue:

Apache Two
15-07-2012, 16:40
10 :dance::dance::dance:

bigmillie
15-07-2012, 16:45
hi, cliff in summer holiday .liked the film like the music and liked where they went . we had just come back from a similar trip when the film came out .it was also the second time i had visited the pictures as a small kid .but still sing it when going away . and still visit some of the places .
dont wear string t shirts now though .

Watching it at this very moment on ITV 3 :dance:

My film was A Night to Remember with Kennith More (1958) shows how young I am

Can still remember going to The Odeon Cinema in East Sheen SW14 and seeing newspaper cuttings of the Titanic displayed in the foyer

herbenny
15-07-2012, 16:53
10 :dance::dance::dance:

Why's that then I wonder :lol-053:

maingate
15-07-2012, 17:02
The surveillance one the Police showed the Jury. :cry:

Minisorella
15-07-2012, 17:14
Mine's definitely To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck (I love the book too). I only found out recently that it was made in 1962...now I know that's a long time ago but because it's set back in the 1930s, I always thought it was much much older. Amazing story.

I'm a film nut... I couldn't even begin to list all my favourite films. From a very young age, I was totally hooked on all the old B&W films on TV and my Dad used to take me to the pictures whenever he could afford it. When we lived in Brussels in the 70s, there was a festival of all the old great Hollywood musicals and I went to see them all with a friend... we saw Singing in the Rain 5 times! Lina Lamont... "I cayn't stannim" :lol-053:

adrian horgan
15-07-2012, 17:17

I was never the same after seeing Barbarella.

Barbarella and the Iceman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0bBj_e5B4&feature=related)

Life was never the same after watching Midnight Express and The Great Rock and Roll Swindle :)

kimbowbill
15-07-2012, 18:11
Rita, Sue and bob too :dance::dance::dance: stopped babysitting straight away

Techno100
15-07-2012, 18:14
A man called horse
Last samurai

MORGANTHEMOON
15-07-2012, 18:15
In a nutshell tell us what happened Kimbo.

Doodles
15-07-2012, 18:20
The crying game :ninja:

kimbowbill
15-07-2012, 18:20
In a nutshell tell us what happened Kimbo.

Well, Bob was a taxi driver, had a very nice house and a frigid wife, they had two babysitters called Rita and Sue, anyway:shag::shag::shag::shag::scared::raofl::raof l::shag::shag::cheers: tha'ts about it really

plum loco
15-07-2012, 18:23
Mine's got to be One Flew Over The cukoo's Nest,or maybe 10 Rillington Place.

Millie
15-07-2012, 18:34
The Exorcist - and I never even watched it :scared:

I remember all the hype outside cinemas and was forbidden by my dear old Dad to go and see it. Being the perfect teenager that I was I never dared disobey him and to this day have still not watched it.:angel:

wildman
15-07-2012, 18:44
That would have to be Masada
Masada (TV mini-series 1981) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081900/)
seeing 900 people commit suicide rather than surrender to the Romans was and still is haunting.
On a lighter note summer holiday always brings a smile to my face.

DRoader
15-07-2012, 19:06
Papillon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillon_%28film%29)

n brown
15-07-2012, 19:15
Blazing Saddles can still make me cry. i love a weepie, but i'll second 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' but to be honest,most films don't do justice to the books they're based on,and its the books that had the effect on me

Neckender
15-07-2012, 19:16
Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck.

John.

Somelier
15-07-2012, 19:22
Indiana Jones, that's why I decided to study archaeology!

Not really - it was Time Team that did that!

Can't say any film has ever had an effect on me, I just watch films that I enjoy. I particularly enjoy John Wayne, Arnie and Sly Stallone.

wattsy280
15-07-2012, 19:44
One flew over the cuckoos nest was great, very thought provoking

mumumum4
15-07-2012, 20:07
To this day I have to look away when I see Anthony Hopkins after watching Silence of the Lambs when it came out 21 years ago. Even thinking about his face gives me a horrible feeling. I can't watch any scary films. I was even scared watching ghostbusters the first time I saw it. :sad:

Alison

MORGANTHEMOON
15-07-2012, 20:54
To this day I have to look away when I see Anthony Hopkins after watching Silence of the Lambs when it came out 21 years ago. Even thinking about his face gives me a horrible feeling. I can't watch any scary films. I was even scared watching ghostbusters the first time I saw it. :sad:

Alison

I'm with you on this Al.
Silence of the lambs is my favourite film.

Favourite bit I ate his Liver... - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qblq0uahw)

maingate
15-07-2012, 21:06
'Saving Private Ryan', for the film itself.

'How the West was won', for the new development in filming. I think it was Cinerama but I could be wrong.

whitevanwoman
15-07-2012, 21:34
Films which have had the biggest effect on me (different to my favourite films)

As a child it was The Sound of Music
As a teenager it was Highlander and Bladerunner
In my 20s it was Platoon and Point Break
In my 30s it was A Beautiful Mind and Into the Wild
In my 40s so far it has been the Swedish original versions of The Millenium Trilogy - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc

Minisorella
15-07-2012, 21:43
I haven't seen the Millennium Trilogy films yet... absolutely loved the books though. I'm waiting for Martin to catch up on the books before we watch the films. Tell him to get a move on would ya? :D

Definitely in my top 10...

A Few Good Men (You can't handle the truth!)
Good Will Hunting (It's not your fault... it's NOT your fault)

Toonman
15-07-2012, 22:04
The Dambusters was instrumental in me joining the RAF. Not for the flying but just to be associated with that type of person who put their lives at risk to defend out great country.

MORGANTHEMOON
15-07-2012, 22:09
The Dambusters was instrumental in me joining the RAF. Not for the flying but just to be associated with that type of person who put their lives at risk to defend out great country.

Good film.

groyne
15-07-2012, 22:14
Blazing Saddles can still make me cry.

When I first saw Blazing Saddles, it was the "b movie" to Alvin Purple.:eek:

adrian horgan
15-07-2012, 22:38
Totally agree, books are ones own interpretation of a story and will always be better than any film, a film is someone else's story, a book is your take on it, read Lord of the Rings and then watch the film which is epic in its own way and a good rendition of Tolkien s finest but the paper version is where its at. Just an example by the way. it could be any book

Deleted user 21925
16-07-2012, 00:20
I love old films, favourites are;

The African Queen
The Quiet Man

Justjack
16-07-2012, 21:32
Remains of the day with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, total class.

Mastodon
16-07-2012, 21:47
Full Metal Jacket
Lawrence of Arabia
Top Gun (only for the flying scenes)

..and strangely... Hair

MORGANTHEMOON
16-07-2012, 21:51
Full Metal Jacket
Lawrence of Arabia
Top Gun (only for the flying scenes)

..and strangely... Hair

Hair?
His or hers?

Somelier
17-07-2012, 08:44
I love old films, favourites are;

The African Queen
The Quiet Man

Love those films. Of course, the African Queen would have been much better with John Wayne in it! Just joking :lol-053:

Somelier
17-07-2012, 08:49
Totally agree, books are ones own interpretation of a story and will always be better than any film, a film is someone else's story, a book is your take on it, read Lord of the Rings and then watch the film which is epic in its own way and a good rendition of Tolkien s finest but the paper version is where its at. Just an example by the way. it could be any book

In most cases, If I've read the book first, I find the film disappointing.

One of the worst screenplays of a book that I've ever watched was the 1962 version of "Day of the Triffids". This is one of my favourite books, but the film changed the plot so much that it became just rubbish. The BBC serialised version in 1981 was much better.

elainekirk
17-07-2012, 09:37
It has to be Beaches , whenever I hear Bette Midler singing Wind beneath my wings I have to watch the film again, wonderful.

John H
17-07-2012, 13:10

Wasn't really into films in my teens but anything by Norman Wisdom would qualify - not because I liked them but because they were made near where I lived and brought normal life to a bloody standstill! :)

Smaug
17-07-2012, 15:19
Greatest effect on me? A few have sent me to sleep over the years, but I don't remember what they were called. There are several I like, but I wouldn't say any have affected me more than by providing me with 90 mins or so of entertainment.

maingate
17-07-2012, 15:38
Wasn't really into films in my teens but anything by Norman Wisdom would qualify - not because I liked them but because they were made near where I lived and brought normal life to a bloody standstill! :)

Mr. Grimsdale did not have an easy life did he?

boxer
17-07-2012, 16:39
Rio Bravo , rio Lobo, El Dorad take your pick they are all variations on a theme, all star JW and Angie Dickinson is hot in Rio Bravo. plus great lines like 'I'll remember you said that'

sueperstarring
17-07-2012, 18:23
Midnight Express - Taught me to NEVER smuggle drugs...especially to Turkey!

Ghandi - It opened my eyes to racial injustice

National Lampoon's Animal House - Fabulous music and John Belushi at his best

Life of Brian - Best Monty Python film EVER! Watched it 100's of times and never fail to cry with laughter :D

Mastodon
17-07-2012, 19:13
Hair?
His or hers?

Treat Williams' I believe...

jamesmarshall
17-07-2012, 20:38
David Lean's Great Expectations. The opening scenes on the marshes and Pip's encounter with Magwitch still stays with me.

deanjo
17-07-2012, 21:02
debbie does dallas!:shag:

splitty67
17-07-2012, 21:33
"Carousel" with Gordon McRea and Jennifer Jones,corny storyline but means such a lot to me because I can relate to it all,love the songs,"If I loved you","You,ll never walk alone" "My boy Bill" etc. Always makes me cry when Billy Biggelow dies.

MORGANTHEMOON
17-07-2012, 21:42
I'm amazed at how many different films have been chosen and not many duplicates.

splitty67
17-07-2012, 21:45
"A stone for Danny Fisher"by Harold Robbins was among the best books I,ve read.The film version however,has to be one of the worst ever made.It starred Elvis and was entitled "King Creole",absolute ****e!!!......I,m reading a great book at the moment called "Dyslexia for begonias"

Somelier
17-07-2012, 21:48
Rio Bravo , rio Lobo, El Dorad take your pick they are all variations on a theme, all star JW and Angie Dickinson is hot in Rio Bravo. plus great lines like 'I'll remember you said that'

Great entertainment. Don't forget "The Searchers", superb film, then there's "Horse Soldiers". Got most of JW's films on DVD, just a few more to collect. My favourite is probably "Hatari!". SWMBO enjoys that one too, since it reminds her of where she grew up.

splitty67
17-07-2012, 21:54
Favourite film of all is Kodak

MORGANTHEMOON
17-07-2012, 21:57
Favourite film of all is Kodak

Ha bloody ha!

maingate
17-07-2012, 22:09
One of my favourites is a bit shocking. It is about a woman who shacks up with a group of men in a cabin in the woods.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. :lol-049:

scampa
17-07-2012, 23:33
Great entertainment. Don't forget "The Searchers", superb film, then there's "Horse Soldiers". Got most of JW's films on DVD, just a few more to collect. My favourite is probably "Hatari!". SWMBO enjoys that one too, since it reminds her of where she grew up.

I was brought up on John Wayne films thanks to my mum being a huge fan of his. "Stagecoach" and "The Searchers" were two of his best, but one of my favourite scenes from his films is where he played Captain Nathan Brittles in "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon". The scene where he retires from the cavalry could always bring a tear to my eye (sniff), but is even more poignant since I sadly retired from my own "troop" a couple of years ago. (Instead of Captain Brittles' silver watch I was presented with a top of the range GPS receiver for my hiking adventures, and I wouldn't swop it for all the world!).

The following clip is of John Wayne, not me, although my retirement speech was very similar.......

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - Capatin Brittles Retired - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhkxENKrZ3U)

wild west jack
18-07-2012, 01:42
Zulu singing men of Harlech scene
Life of Brian
Highlander 1
The Godfather
Fightclub
Dances with wolves
Far and away
Little big man
Rainman
Marathon man
Wild geese
An american warewolf in london
Pink Floyds the wall
Alien
Twin Town

jamesmarshall
18-07-2012, 07:41
"A stone for Danny Fisher"by Harold Robbins was among the best books I,ve read.The film version however,has to be one of the worst ever made.It starred Elvis and was entitled "King Creole",absolute ****e!!!......I,m reading a great book at the moment called "Dyslexia for begonias"

That dyslexia is a curse. Nobody should be what they can't spell. I signed up for a pottery course once and ended up in a poetry class. I'd bought the apron and everything.

MORGANTHEMOON
18-07-2012, 08:59
Zulu singing men of Harlech scene
Life of Brian
Highlander 1
The Godfather
Fightclub
Dances with wolves
Far and away
Little big man
Rainman
Marathon man
Wild geese
An american warewolf in london
Pink Floyds the wall
Alien
Twin Town

Most of these are favourites of mine to particularly Zulu I've seen this so many times I know all the words and my children also.
Twin town I just love the humour. Rhys Ifans is brill.

I also love watching Kevin and Perry. Still makes me laugh.

bopper
18-07-2012, 11:43
"That'll be the day" With Ringo Starr, David Essex, Etc; but mainly Billy Fury.
The only reason this was a life changing film for me is because I worked on it for 7 weeks.

MORGANTHEMOON
18-07-2012, 12:19
"That'll be the day" With Ringo Starr, David Essex, Etc; but mainly Billy Fury.
The only reason this was a life changing film for me is because I worked on it for 7 weeks.

Are you a film star Bopper?

Or were you sweeping up?

Good film.

bopper
18-07-2012, 12:41
Are you a film star Bopper?

Or were you sweeping up?

Good film.

Just check out the profile!

theteapackets
18-07-2012, 12:58
The film that has haunted me until this day was the support film at the cinema in about 1979. it was about a young couple who had an argument and he drove off in a Porsche and picked up an old lady carrying a holdall ...... It ends with the camera panning out from the car sitting at a set of traffic lights that just keep changing ......

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called!

:confused:

Leroy1234
13-09-2012, 14:05
In keeping with this website's ethos etc....

'Into the Wild' is a pretty epic one for getting the wanderlust going.

MORGANTHEMOON
13-09-2012, 14:17
The film that has haunted me until this day was the support film at the cinema in about 1979. it was about a young couple who had an argument and he drove off in a Porsche and picked up an old lady carrying a holdall ...... It ends with the camera panning out from the car sitting at a set of traffic lights that just keep changing ......

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called!

:confused:

You got me scared now!

sagart
13-09-2012, 14:18
Seeing the full Wicker Man in America.......then getting to know Edward Woodward in later years

mariesnowgoose
13-09-2012, 14:25
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. A brilliant film that really resonated with me as my mum used to get electric shock treatment for depression back then.

Jaws. C'mon! You all jumped out of your seats when the head popped up underneath!

Lord of the Rings trilogy. Read the books when I was 11 and I think the films did the books justice.

MORGANTHEMOON
13-09-2012, 14:26
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. A brilliant film that really resonated with me as my mum used to get electric shock treatment for depression back then.

Jaws. C'mon! You all jumped out of your seats when the head popped up underneath!

Lord of the Rings trilogy. Read the books when I was 11 and I think the films did the books justice.

I agree with all you say Marie

pamick
13-09-2012, 14:28
Guess who's coming to dinner -great cast!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS