PDA

View Full Version : pc problem

n brown
24-07-2012, 18:13
ever since i pressed the wrong thing,wheneveri click on the red cross in the corner,everything goes,so if i look at a link from a thread,and close it,i find myself looking at the screen saver and have to go to google to get back,how do i fix it?

Firefox
24-07-2012, 18:18
Which browser and version? Have you got it in full screen mode or disabled tabbed browsing maybe... it sounds like that or something similar. I'm going to play bridge now for a few hours but hopefully you'll get an answer!

Northerner
24-07-2012, 18:29
I concur. When you open a link, does it appear in a new screen with another tab at the top? Or to put it another way, when the website that the link brings up appears, does it appear in place of the existing one?
If it replaces the existing one you have somehow switched off tab browsing.

With tab browsing you can have six screens (or more!) open at once and there will then be a row of tabs along the top of the screen. To close one screen you click on the small cross on just the tab.

As Firefox has said, before anyone can help you we need to know which browser you use i.e Internet, Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox etc.

n brown
24-07-2012, 18:39
you'll have to bear with me on this. i seem to be using internet explorer and i don't have tab browsing and yes i seem to remember being asked if i wanted it and having no idea what it was pressed the 'get rid'button

andcarson
24-07-2012, 18:59
you'll have to bear with me on this. i seem to be using internet explorer and i don't have tab browsing and yes i seem to remember being asked if i wanted it and having no idea what it was pressed the 'get rid'button

Try the following to turn your tabbed browsing back on:

Click on Tools, then select Internet Options.
Click on General tab.
Locate the Tabs section and then click on Settings button.
Check “Enable Tabbed Browsing”.
Click OK till exit.

Cheers Andy

Northerner
24-07-2012, 19:07
I use Google Chrome but I've checked my version of Internet Explorer and it's slightly different.

Open Tools or click on a 'cog wheel' symbol at the top right of the screen.

Choose 'Internet Options'

At the bottom of the first page you'll find the Tab settings, click on this button 'Settings'.

Also at the bottom of the next page you'll find an option that says 'Open Links from other programmes'. It gives you three choices.

Choose 'New Tab in the current window'.

If asked, click on 'Apply' on the final screen before you exit Internet Options.

In my version you'll see the list of tabs that are open along the top and to close a tab click on the little cross.

oldish hippy
24-07-2012, 19:12
well from the explanation he has tab browsing on because if the new link open in a tab and he presses the x topright then it wil close all the tabs and the browser screen fr om which he has taken the link is also closing so it would be tools menu , internet options ,change how webpages are displayed in tabs ,settings ,openlinkfrom other programs in new window that should have black dot in it achieved by single left click well that is my thoughts

n brown
24-07-2012, 19:23
oldie shippy, sorry mate you have a big wet one coming your way,i am now given the option of closing all,or the current tab.cheers,and thanks to those who contributed

Northerner
24-07-2012, 19:24
well from the explanation he has tab browsing on because if the new link open in a tab and he presses the x topright then it wil close all the tabs and the browser screen fr om which he has taken the link is also closing so it would be tools menu , internet options ,change how webpages are displayed in tabs ,settings ,openlinkfrom other programs in new window that should have black dot in it achieved by single left click well that is my thoughts

To me it's just the opposite. He's clicking on a link and it's opening the link and replacing the original webpage that he was on. In other words it isn't opening in a separate tab. He closes the screen and loses everything. If he enables tab browsing he'll have a choice of tabs along the top and can close just one of the screens that may be open. I think!

n brown
24-07-2012, 19:29
To me it's just the opposite. He's clicking on a link and it's opening the link and replacing the original webpage that he was on. In other words it isn't opening in a separate tab. He closes the screen and loses everything. If he enables tab browsing he'll have a choice of tabs along the top and can close just one of the screens that may be open. I think! i know what you mean,while trying to sort it i briefly had what you describe,a row of tabs,but originally i had this choice thing comes up.suits me ! glad you're still around by the way,thought you were a gonner !

oldish hippy
24-07-2012, 20:21
it was the red cross that threw me at first then sat and thought about it came to conclusion mr brown is color blind

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS