PDA

View Full Version : Brompton folding bikes

Admin
26-07-2012, 22:24
I have been thinking about getting a folding bike so that I can cycle to work and use the bike when away in my van.
I could do with losing a couple of pounds (or maybe 10 stone) and I do love cycling.

A friend who is a keen cyclist suggested a Brompton as they can be folded and packed away, and because they hold their price well.

So I was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

BTW if anyone has one in the back of the garage...... :)

herbenny
26-07-2012, 22:28
Great way to exercise Phil.....will keep my eyes and ears open :wave:

Northerner
26-07-2012, 22:32
I had a Dahon folding bike for ages, very good but not as good as a Brompton. There's a big folding-bike sub-culture out there and this is their bible.

The Folding Society (http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/)

Millie
26-07-2012, 22:42
I love cycling too and cycle to work every day.

We bought folding bikes to take away but, to be honest, have found them really hard to ride as they have small wheels and you end up cycling with your knees under your chin. :scared:

If you fit a cycle carrier on the back of your camper this will accommodate 'normal' size bikes which you might find a better option.

Admin
26-07-2012, 22:50
I love cycling too and cycle to work every day.

We bought folding bikes to take away but, to be honest, have found them really hard to ride as they have small wheels and you end up cycling with your knees under your chin. :scared:

If you fit a cycle carrier on the back of your camper this will accommodate 'normal' size bikes which you might find a better option.

I do have a cycle rack but it has a carry box on it.

Millie
26-07-2012, 22:58
Put the carry box on the roof and use the cycle carrier for which ever bikes you fancy. You will never regret buying a bike.

fofeg101
26-07-2012, 23:26
I like the Brompton but they don't fit my frame size, 6'4" tall with 35" inside leg measurement, if you are within those parameters ....great. There's a lot of generic rubbish out there now so its "Buyer Beware".

See my new thread on bike sizing.

Admin
26-07-2012, 23:31
Put the carry box on the roof and use the cycle carrier for which ever bikes you fancy. You will never regret buying a bike.

No roof space, three skylights take it all up. I only have an ikle one :P

Admin
26-07-2012, 23:33
I like the Brompton but they don't fit my frame size, 6'4" tall with 35" inside leg measurement, if you are within those parameters ....great. There's a lot of generic rubbish out there now so its "Buyer Beware".

See my new thread on bike sizing.

actually I have just checked the weight restrictions....... Now I need two of them :D

scampa
26-07-2012, 23:45
I'm not sure if this cycle folds, but it is definitely space-saving.........

BRAND NEW REFLEX TEEN ADULT 20" UNICYCLE. 36 SPOKE WHEEL. BLACK & YELLOW. RF102 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-REFLEX-TEEN-ADULT-20-UNICYCLE-36-SPOKE-WHEEL-BLACK-YELLOW-RF102-/120944564680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c28db99c8#ht_2518wt_1270)

Funky Farmer
27-07-2012, 07:55
Buy yourself an old butcher's bike. You could fit the carrier out with all your geeky stuff :have fun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Funky/d734d616.jpg

Northerner
27-07-2012, 08:58
Electric bikes are very good, until you need a new battery. I notice that nowhere does this firm list its battery prices, and that's typical of many electric bike companies. The reason of course is that they're about 400 and they don't want to put off customers.

I've had an eZee Liv for some time and and am on my second battery. The other disadvantages are that there's much more to go wrong. I've had an electrical problem caused by water ingress into the control box and I also had another problem where just one loose wire stopped the whole bike working. Problems are exacerbated of course by the fact that we motorhomes often carry our bikes on racks where they're exposed to harsh conditions of rain and road-salt.

They are also heavier than normal bikes and I am now contemplating selling it and buying a really good lightweight touring bike with very low gear ratios so that people like me who don't cycle very often can manage the hills!

So, after five years of electric bikes I can say that yes, they are very good when they work and nothing beats the feeling that you get when it starts to hurt and you just twist the throttle and suddenly, it's like pedalling on the flat again. But there are huge disadvantages, one of which of course is having to charge the battery and, even if you're not using it for some time, you still have to remember to charge the battery regularly.

jennyp19
27-07-2012, 09:21
I have changed my stance on Batribikes.

Northerner
27-07-2012, 09:36
I agree the price of new battery is steep. We have had ours 2 years now, & not had any problems. They are lithium batteries, so don't have "the memory" like other batteries - meaning you can charge whenever you want (don't know about letting them completely run down, but ours have been left in the garage unused for several weeks when it was bad weather & we were able to use them straight away.
They are not particularly heavy, batteries are much lighter than the older type . They are much quicker to charge also than the old ones were.
I can comfortably lift my bike without the battery - the battery is really easily removed.

They are a very good alternative for anyone who is not very fit, & a means to getting about - yesterday I went along the coastal path at Sth Shields, & round into the town - something I certainly could not have done on foot - plus then had to go back into the town for a few bits of shopping later in the day.

I agree entirely with your reasoning, they are very good for occasional users who may not be very fit but I just thought that members should know that there are also downsides. Perceived wisdom, even on the Batribike website, is that batteries should be charged once a month, even the new lithium ones.

My advice would be to always buy your electric bike from a dealer who is close to you. I made the mistake of buying the eZee Liv because, at the time, it seemed the best value and I could only get it from someone in Worcestershire and I live in Lancashire. I have had to return it twice for faults but fortunately have been able to call in on my way to one of the Channel ports.

My wife has a different make, purchased from a local dealer who's about three miles away. Needless to say hers hasn't gone wrong but if it did it's comforting to know that I can get if fixed very conveniently.

n brown
28-07-2012, 21:39
for anyone serious about exercise Monsterbike - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY&feature=g-vrec)

Wind Dancer
29-07-2012, 02:33
I have been thinking about getting a folding bike so that I can cycle to work and use the bike when away in my van.
I could do with losing a couple of pounds (or maybe 10 stone) and I do love cycling.

A friend who is a keen cyclist suggested a Brompton as they can be folded and packed away, and because they hold their price well.

So I was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

BTW if anyone has one in the back of the garage...... :)

Great idea!
If you want to cycle over fields, consider the size of the wheels and how close the gears are to the ground. No problem on the roads, but only a few models are suitable for rougher ground.

Bigpeetee
29-07-2012, 04:47
A couple of years a go I bought a folding bike and love it.

As I hadn't cycled for years, I didn't want to spend a fortune so bought a Chinese one off ebay, it's not super lightweight, but not heavy either. It folds up small enough to fit in the locker beneath the bed.

It has seven gear ratios, low enough to cycle from the prom in Old Colwyn and up the hill to our house, when I got fit enough. The higher ratios give a reasonable speed on the level. It uses Shimano gears and standard brake parts so spares are not an issue. It takes about 30 seconds from folded to ride.

Downsides: mine has a suspension unit on the rear, whilst this makes for a more smooth ride, it does absorb some of your leg power, so cycling is not so efficient. The wheels being 14" make for more concentration in steering, so you are more likely to wobble when you look back.

It is a compromise, I find it great for exploring the locality when out in the MH or going for a pint of milk, even journeys of 12 miles are no problem.

I have now bought a second bike for use at home, it was used but in good condition, this is easier to use for longer distances and is less tiring. No suspension and isn't a mountain bike. The rolling resistance of a mountain bike make it harder to cycle on ordinary roads, say to work and in my opinion, unless you intend to do some serious off road work, not necessary. The number of fully blown mountain bikes I see used to cycle along the flat promenade is unbelievable!! And they've all got the "Gear" to look the part, despite low gear ratios, they still push up a hill!!

Best of luck getting one to get fit, and even loose a few pounds, as I have Arthritis in my legs, I find it easier to cycle than walk as there is less jolting on my joints. Unless you force yourself to "go for it" the weight loss through cycling alone probably won't be massive, BUT the improvement in your cardio vascular system and your body tone will improve drastically.

Now I feel quite comfortable in cycling 15-20 miles whereas when I started out, a mile knackered me!!

ozzo
29-07-2012, 07:03
smaller wheels are great at acceleration but not the best at higher speed stability - you can always go slower of course but it aint exciting enough. So there are some folder that have say 20" wheels that are a compromise. Depends on how much you want to spend as it always is really. Brompton are the best folder by far and do keep their value. Also have a look at Airnimal bikes - they have break down into a very small package. If the mountain bike is the way to go, you need to consider where your going to ride it - as already mentioned above, most people are riding on the road with knobbly tyres - DUH - why? :confused:Just put some proper road tyres on - it makes it much more easier to ride.:dance:

donkey too
29-07-2012, 07:56
After reading this thread I am creamed sso am going to do some of my prefered exercise, Blanket Pressing. :D

As for batteries, the best wholesaler I found When I was in business was Flexel UK. If you were to ring them Phil you would get a good deal from them. maybe members buying through you and they deliver direct to customer? They do all batteries.

jennyp19
30-08-2012, 18:54
After extolling the virtues of our Batribikes - I have now changed my mind. Last week one of the batteries decided to start dropping out. They will be 2 years old mid Sept. supposed to be good for up to 1000 charges but the importer has put a warranty of 1 year on them. Both have been charged & used about the same and nothing like charged 1000 times. Went back to the dealer who did try to get help from Batribikes, but their stance was 1 year warranty - no chance. Replacement 350. Tried the importers best offer 15% off a new one.

So I then went back to the dealer who sold me them, and we came to an arrangement where he would replace it (I have paid some towards it).

BE WARNED BATRIBIKES STICK TO THEIR 1 YEAR WARRANTY FOR THE BATTERIES not at all helpful & replacements are around 350.

so I am sorry if anyone has taken notice of my recommendations for these bikes.

antiquesam
30-08-2012, 20:03
I didn't want a rack on the back of the van and wasn't sure if I would use a bike very often so bought a cheap Halfords folder on Ebay. It fits in the overcab easily and gets used nearly every day. The problem is it doesn't have gears which isn't a problem here in Pompey but I found it a bit hard in the Lakes and Scotland, so its back to Ebay for a cheapy with gears next.

Techno100
30-08-2012, 20:36
I've been watching Bromptons on ebay for some time and yes indeed they do hold their price very well.
It did occur to me tho that if they are so good why are there always so very many for sale "hardly used"
Size wise you can get a longer Brompton seat post to cope with the ganglies lol
There are a number of gearing arrangements from 1 to 6 speeds and various ratios so it's important to buy what will be suitable.
Safest bet is the 6 speed which is a 3 gear internal hub and 2 external rear sprockets with a shifter

Mastodon
30-08-2012, 22:18
Back in the day when I was in the business I rode most of the folding bikes on the market, some where called 'collapsible' bike for good reason... Without a doubt the Brompton is the best on the market for combination of ride quality, ease of folding and size. There is an extended seat post available if you're over 6' though this does increase the folded package size. I imagine the 2nd hand bikes are 'hardly used' because they've been in the hold of the yacht or similar, anyone serious about cycling won't be giving up their Brompton...

kangooroo
30-08-2012, 22:37
I have the Carrera Transport folding bike Halfords | Carrera Transport Folding Bike (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_80 6151_langId_-1_categoryId_165577) from Halfords. I looked at several, including many second hand Chinese cheapies, before buying mine and have no complaints with it. The gearing is very efficient, build quality good, it doesn't fold or collapse while being ridden (as some did) and it was the most adjustable of them all and the only one suitable for long legs.

It folds smaller than the cheaper models and fits onto my passenger seat for travelling. If you're heading over to Monmouth next week and the weather's dry, you're welcome to have a look at it.

Bewicklass
31-08-2012, 00:47
BTW if anyone has one in the back of the garage......

I have a Brompton if you're interested Phil. I was recently given it from a friend and have no need for it - am considering putting it on ebay as I would rather use some of the cash I make on it to get my mountain bike back in working order. Am watching a load of them on ebay at the moment to see how much mine would possibly be worth - it's hardly been used by the friend who gave it to me - she tends to buy a lot of things - anything from expensive folding bikes to fish tanks which then stand empty, you name it, she's probably bought it at some point and never got it out of the wrapping :confused:

All I can tell you is, it's a 3 gear bike and it's red!!!

Burtie
31-08-2012, 11:16
there is one on ebay now item number 190720668720 if you have not seen it yet

Techno100
31-08-2012, 11:38
There are at least a dozen on ebay almost continually

Techno100
01-09-2012, 17:40
This weeks selection
Brompton M6L folding bike 2011 model black and white marathon tyres receipt | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=Brompton+M6L+folding+bike+2011+model+ black+and+white+marathon+tyres+receipt&rt=nc&_id=160873908583&_ipg=50&_trksid=null)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS