PDA

View Full Version : Ranby Village Hall, near Retford

canalwheeler
27-07-2012, 23:42
53.325491,-1.026599

Situated just off the A1 next to the Chesterfield Canal. A small field next to the hall is open to the public. No camping prohibitions, but no facilities. OK for wild camping. Good towpath walks. Also the old Blythe road beside the hall next to the A1 is now a quiet dead end where wild camping is possible. No nearby housing. Only problem is traffic noise.

Access via Ranby village off Retford Road.

Tone

donkey too
28-07-2012, 00:43
I have stayed here. found locals no very pleasant. Better to stay at the pub in Retford or even the car park behind sally ann.

northernspirit2001
28-07-2012, 06:59
How do you approach a pub landlord who presumably has allowed his pub published on these POI? Do they ply a charge, expect a contribution or for you to drink in the pub?

canalwheeler
28-07-2012, 08:38
In the case of The Chequers at Ranby, I told the landlord, Mark, about this website and the POIs, and asked whether he would like his pub listed too. He agreed. Anything to increase trade off the A1. He is not allowed by the council to erect any advertising by the A1 junction, which seems pretty unfair.

Oh, and I get on well with all the locals I have met in Ranby.

Tone

Canalsman
28-07-2012, 13:17
How do you approach a pub landlord who presumably has allowed his pub published on these POI? Do they ply a charge, expect a contribution or for you to drink in the pub?

Most of the pubs listed on the POIs are based on site menbers who have asked for permission to stop overnight.

The pub itself may not know they are listed on the POIs, so the advised approach is to phone before travelling and ask. All the pubs have a phone number listed.

If you get a refusal, please post an entry in the Pub Stopover forum.

The expectation is that you patronise the pub for drinks and/or food.

Canalsman
30-07-2012, 00:24
53.325491,-1.026599

Situated just off the A1 next to the Chesterfield Canal. A small field next to the hall is open to the public. No camping prohibitions, but no facilities. OK for wild camping. Good towpath walks. Also the old Blythe road beside the hall next to the A1 is now a quiet dead end where wild camping is possible. No nearby housing. Only problem is traffic noise.

Access via Ranby village off Retford Road.

Tone

I have added the old Blythe Road to the POIs rather than the Village Hall.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS