PDA

View Full Version : 10.1" Touchscreen Tablet + 3G Dongle ??

AuldTam
31-07-2012, 16:44
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251100335729&clk_rvr_id=369103126300&clk_rvr_id=370155124748&afsrc=1

Just come across this... Only 79.99 delivered...it says it has 2 mini usb slots, 1 mini HDMI and expandable memory, built in WiFi...Would I be right in thinking a 3G dongle could be attached to this to give internet access away from home..

Perhaps an IT geek could advise before I jump in and buy one...

scotchjock
31-07-2012, 17:01
DISGO TABLET 8100 10.1" SLIM TOUCHSCREEN PC TABLET GOOGLE ANDROID 2.3 - HDMI | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251100335729&clk_rvr_id=369103126300&clk_rvr_id=370155124748&afsrc=1)

Just come across this... Only 79.99 delivered...it says it has 2 mini usb slots, 1 mini HDMI and expandable memory, built in WiFi...Would I be right in thinking a 3G dongle could be attached to this to give internet access away from home..

Perhaps an IT geek could advise before I jump in and buy one...

I'm not a geek, but a 3g dongle will not give you internet access on one of these. My experience of these tablets is that they are very slow even on your home wifi

Adz1983
31-07-2012, 20:09
Looks like its running on Froyo or Gingerbread. Check XDA-developers for a custom ICS rom and it may be worth the buy at that cost. If there isnt any development going on for it I wouldnt bother.

fairytooth
31-07-2012, 20:15
A USB dongle won't do it but a 'mifi' or a tethered smart phone with 3G will do the trick.

Ems
31-07-2012, 20:29
From what I have researched with the right dongle and tablet combination they do work! I'll let you know as I ordered a tablet the other day and I will be attempting to get it to work with a 3g dongle! As far as I can tell as long as the dongle is compatible with android software it should work - I will report back and let you know if I get it to work!

margdave
01-08-2012, 08:12
DISGO TABLET 8100 10.1" SLIM TOUCHSCREEN PC TABLET GOOGLE ANDROID 2.3 - HDMI | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251100335729&clk_rvr_id=369103126300&clk_rvr_id=370155124748&afsrc=1)

Perhaps an IT geek could advise beforehh I jump in and buy one...

hi. im not an IT geek but my dongle has a full size usb connection. perhaps a adaptor is available.hope
this helps. dave

whitevanwoman
01-08-2012, 08:22
I have a similar cheap Android 2.3 tablet and have successfully used a 3 dongle with it. However, following an update I am now having problems with the Wifi (I can't connect to home router any more wirelessly although using cable is fine) - apparently this is quite a common problem but I haven't been able to solve it yet. I think it may be to do with the version of Android (2.3 Gingerbread) and would suggest that you go for the latest version of Android if you can afford it, it would probably only be another 30 - 40 to upgrade to a more modern version of Android and I would say that's money well spent.

edit, just noticed that you say that the tablet has 2 mini usb slots - not sure if you can get adaptors to convert to full size usb but would recommend that you look for a tablet with full usb slots - I now have a bluetooth adaptor, a SDHC to SD card adaptor, a SD card to usb adaptor etc and carrying around all the various adaptors, dongles etc is a nuisance.

Ems
01-08-2012, 08:37
The one I've just bought has a standard USB slot, and a small one and included in the box is an adaptor to enable me to use the small one as a big one if that makes sense.

Looing at the one on the link, I've just paid 20 more for mine advertised as used Amazon - its an A1CS Fusion5 with Android 4.0, its turned up and is brand new with a slight imperfection to the casing so very happy with it, it has the latest version of Android so hopefully I won't have too many problems with conntecting via a dongle, just need the dongle to arrive now but will try it at home tonight on WiFi.

I'd pay slightly more and get one with a later version of Android and a USB slot. I looked at the cheap ones online and went for one with good reviews in the end.

I'll update with how I get on with it but for just under 100 I think its a good buy!

Apache Two
01-08-2012, 08:42
The one I've just bought has a standard USB slot, and a small one and included in the box is an adaptor to enable me to use the small one as a big one if that makes sense.

Looing at the one on the link, I've just paid 20 more for mine advertised as used Amazon - its an A1CS Fusion5, its turned up and is brand new with a slight imperfection to the casing so very happy with it, it has the latest version of Android so hopefully I won't have too many problems with conntecting via a dongle, just need the dongle to arrive now but will try it at home tonight on WiFi.

I'd pay slightly more and get one with a later version of Android and a USB slot. I looked at the cheap ones online and went for one with good revies in the end.

I'll update with hoe I get on with it but for just under 100 I think its a good buy!

Well done Ems sounds like a good deal..:banana:

Ems
01-08-2012, 08:47
Well done Ems sounds like a good deal..:banana:

I don't think I can see stars with it though ;)

Apache Two
01-08-2012, 08:48
I don't think I can see stars with it though ;)

Trust me you will..x

Ems
08-08-2012, 13:35
I can confirm that a 3G dongle works with Android, just make sure you by one that states its compatible. I am sat in Woolacombe with a good connection typing this :wave:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS