PDA

View Full Version : The Wild Camping recipe thread

Doodles
01-08-2012, 07:00
Hey just a thought from the favourite pudding thread we must all have a favourite recipe we love why not share it here so we can all try it :)

Doodles
01-08-2012, 07:14
I love this recipe:

Fresh nettle tops the young small ones or spinach
cream (single or double)
fetta cheese
nutmeg
white wine a dash
filo pastry
melted butter to wash pastry
salt and pepper to season

Clean and wash nettles/spinach and then steam or saute them.In a pan add white wine and simmer until reduced and alcohol has gone add cream and heat gently do not boil season with salt and pepper and grated nutmeg.Turn of heat and allow cream to cool a little before adding cheese when mixed well add the nettle's or spinach and mix well together.Now take filo sheets and place three on top of each other using butter to hold.Next take some of your mixture and place on pastry but not at very edge leave a small amount to tuck under when folding which you do by making it into a parcel.Lastly brush well with butter and bake in oven until nice and golden.Serve with either couscous or rice.

herbenny
01-08-2012, 07:23
RUMBLEDETHUMP MY FAVOURITE ........

RumbledethumpsVegYou can cook the Rumbledethumps earlier in the day and reheat in the oven - give them an extra 20 minutes or so from cold.
Ingredients
600g/1lb 5oz large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
400g/14oz swede (known as turnip in Scotland), peeled and chopped into large chunks
75g/2ľoz unsalted butter
250g/9oz savoy cabbage or kale, finely sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
25g/1oz cheddar cheese, grated
Preparation method
1.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2.Cook the potatoes and swede in a saucepan of salted boiling water until tender. Drain well and return to the pan.
3.Heat 50g/2oz butter in a pan and gently cook the cabbage for a few minutes, until the cabbage is tender but retains its colour.

4.Add the cabbage to the pan with the potatoes and swede. Add the remaining 25g/1oz butter and mash together using a potato masher. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

5.Place the mashed vegetables into an ovenproof lidded dish and top with the cheese. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, or until piping hot and golden-brown on to

clarkpeacock
01-08-2012, 07:31
Ingredients;

Bottle of red wine (Preferably French)
Cork screw
Large wine glass

Method:

Using corkscrew, open the bottle and pour liquid into glass.
Drink and repeat as necessary

John H
01-08-2012, 07:50
:yeahthat:

...and to go with it, this is one of our favourites. It is called Chicken Yasa and it originates in West Africa (recipe for two people).

2 skinned chicken breasts
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
1 chopped red chilli
The juice and jest of one lime

Fry the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until golden, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Then throw in the pepper, chilli and lime juice/zest. Cover and turn down the heat, adding just a little water to keep the whole thing moist. Cook slowly for about 45 minutes and serve with boiled rice and various chutneys. Simple to do and a wonderful flavour.

Funky Farmer
01-08-2012, 08:19
Take one flattened hedgehog :lol-053::lol-053:

Seahorse
01-08-2012, 08:56
Take one flattened hedgehog :lol-053::lol-053:

Just peeled Hedgehog (off road) what do i do next!!!!!

grumpyengraver
01-08-2012, 12:30
Just peeled Hedgehog (off road) what do i do next!!!!!

eat it raw, mind the needles :lol-061:

jamesmarshall
01-08-2012, 12:58
Serves One.
Take one packet of cheap noodles and place in boiling water as per instructions on the packet. Add the contents of the flavouring sachet. When the noodles are simmering, add an egg and allow to soft poach. Add soy sauce prior to serving and eat directly from the pan. Dee-lish

vindiboy
02-08-2012, 18:19
Great snack is a Currant Bun or Hot Cross Bun ,Buttered and filled with Crisps, Banana, and strong Cheddar Cheese, a real double decker, I am going to the kitchen to make one right now.:lol-053: I have never met a calorie I did not like.

n brown
02-08-2012, 18:55
ricotta cheese,fresh spinach,cheddar, creme fraiche,put into a pastry flan case and bake till delicious.test for flavour with a small piece while warm,get agonising acid reflux indigestion that lasts most of the day,give to chuckling bloody smug son.go and lie down

vindiboy
02-08-2012, 20:13
Get some Puff Pastry, roll it flat, add some Cheese and Bacon ,fold it into whatever shape you fancy to trap the contents and cook it in the oven or double skillet if no oven , Scrumptious, good cold too if you can wait that long.:D

Merlin59
15-08-2012, 18:11
How about an "Elvis" sandwich? Apparently Elvis's mom (mum if you're English) fed him this as a snack...

Two slices of bread
a banana
peanut butter (crunchy is best)
butter

Mash the banana and spread it on one slice of bread. Spread peanut butter on the other slice and put the two together. Heat a small frying pan and lob in a knob of butter. When melted and sizzling fry the sandwich for a few minutes each side until slightly crispy. This is a tasty sandwich but I'd recommend only having about one a month or you could be meeting the King sooner than you think..:banana:

Doodles
15-08-2012, 18:13
How about an "Elvis" sandwich? Apparently Elvis's mom (mum if you're English) fed him this as a snack...

Two slices of bread
a banana
peanut butter (crunchy is best)
butter

Mash the banana and spread it on one slice of bread. Spread peanut butter on the other slice and put the two together. Heat a small frying pan and lob in a knob of butter. When melted and sizzling fry the sandwich for a few minutes each side until slightly crispy. This is a tasty sandwich but I'd recommend only having about one a month or you could be meeting the King sooner than you think..:banana:

I have eaten this and it is yummy :banana::banana:

Ems
15-08-2012, 18:20
I have eaten this and it is yummy :banana::banana:

Me too - Elvis Sandwiches rock :banana:

mariesnowgoose
15-08-2012, 18:24
I'm on my own tonight so...

I've chopped up some good bacon, not too small.
Chopped some garlic.
Chopped up some green cabbage from the garden.
Fresh broad beans from the garden.

Fried the bacon, added the broad beans and garlic with plenty of butter.
Added the chopped cabbage after a bit (all guess work this!) til sweated down and cooked.
Pepper (I don't use salt, enough in the bacon)
Little bit of fresh grated nutmeg.

Done some mash on the side with a bit of cheddar cheese melted in.

Heated a plate, dished up and am now stuffed! :tongue: :)

Merlin59
15-08-2012, 18:38
Make your own Pesto. You can use this with pasta for a filling, easy meal or add it to soups for additional flavour. You can make this at home quite quickly before you set off.

1 tbsp.pine nuts
2 x cloves peeled fresh garlic (yep, raw!)
1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley (I buy the 99p growing herb)
2 to 3 tbsp. fresh basil (ditto)
1 tbsp. parmesan or other Italian hard cheese
2 tbsp. Extra virgin oil
salt and pepper to taste

Throw the lot into a blender and whizz it about until blended together or break out the pestle and mortar for a more rustic consistency. It should be about the thickness of (or slightly thicker than) double cream. You can adjust the taste by adding more or less of the ingredients after your first go. This makes quite a bit but will store quite well for a week or more in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid. Add enough oil to cover the pesto and keep it in a fridge, if possible. Add it to cooked tagliatelle. Drain the tagliatelle, saving about a tablespoon of the cooking water and put the lot back on the hob with the heat OFF. Add a small knob of butter and a little salt and pepper before adding your pesto (as much as you like) and serve. Knocks the shop bought stuff into a cocked hat.

jeffmossy
15-08-2012, 18:52
Take lid off and pour on hot water.Leave for 3 min and stirr.Then enjoy your pot noodle..........:D

mariesnowgoose
15-08-2012, 19:16
Make your own Pesto.

I adore fresh pesto. Yum. :tongue:

Merlin59
15-08-2012, 19:16
With Pesto!:beer:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS