PDA

View Full Version : Just about to start a brew..

Doodles
01-08-2012, 11:23
I am just about to start making 40 pints of a pale ale and thinking of adding some saaz hops.Not sure if any other fellow brewers on the site but wondering if they will add anything to it or ruin it.I have them in the fridge and need using.

Doodles
01-08-2012, 11:57

Thats it pitched yeast hydrometer reading was 1.049 so looking about 5%.Gonna cold ferment it so will take a few weeks but hopefully with great results :)

gazberwick
01-08-2012, 15:04
Hi I am a homebrewer, although I have not ventured into AG or partial.....tbh I don't do Beer very often but have just done 2 40 pint youngs lager kits. Well It would have been a crime as I saw them for 7.97 each in tescos the other week....I couldn't believe it and that was for a full brew kit bucket hydrometer blah blah and not just the tin of extract......what a bargain. Anyhow I set them both off at the same time and did one with white sugar and one with dark brown sugar....yum! Both are done and are sat in my top tap king kegs. Nice beers both of them....do you make wine? Spirits? I love home brewing! Nice to meet you!:beer:

Doodles
01-08-2012, 17:01
Hi I am a homebrewer, although I have not ventured into AG or partial.....tbh I don't do Beer very often but have just done 2 40 pint youngs lager kits. Well It would have been a crime as I saw them for 7.97 each in tescos the other week....I couldn't believe it and that was for a full brew kit bucket hydrometer blah blah and not just the tin of extract......what a bargain. Anyhow I set them both off at the same time and did one with white sugar and one with dark brown sugar....yum! Both are done and are sat in my top tap king kegs. Nice beers both of them....do you make wine? Spirits? I love home brewing! Nice to meet you!:beer:

Yes i saw the offer in tesco bought them all up and sold them on ebay :) i only do kits or partial grain not up to AG.I make quite a bit of wine and cider as well.As for spirits gotta be careful with the laws on that one :) .Have you tried making turbo cider yet? 4 cartons of cheap apple juice in a demijohn or small bucket bit of sugar and yeast its lethal :) i use ribena as well and it makes a great rose type wine.Good to see a fellow brewer on the forum :)

gazberwick
01-08-2012, 21:04
smart thinking about selling the kits on fleabay, was it an offer or was it a mistake I wonder? I just done a cider from apple juice....it's is nice tho I dont usually leave it to carbonate just drink it as a apple wine/flat cider. One if just done I split into 2, 2L bottles , drank one after a week (not much carbonation) but saved one to take to Cornwall this week :) I been brewing a few years and im a BIG fan of wurzels orange wine which I started way back when it was first on the forums, cant fault it, the wife loves it and it knocks spots of "kit" wines especially after aged for a few months in the bottle... As for spirits it might me slightly grey but not illegal , u can apply for a permit to produce spirits at home for personal consumption. Personally It is for myself and family and have never sold any so the C&E boys and girls would (IMO) not be very interested in my production, with or without a piece of paper. However If you started selling it to all and sundry then I would guess then interest might be warranted. If you have thought about doing it it is well worth while and the results are noting short of amazing. I dont have a big fancy reflux still, just a simple "still spirits" air still (pot still) . Makes a straight spirit with no flavour, then you add essences' to give you your desired spirit or liqueur. I could rabbit on for hours lol.....Have you seen "craigtube" on youtube? I like him he seems a great guy an has lots of info for brewing beers, he is an advocate of extract but has dabble with partials and mini mashes, he has just done his first all grain, I'd love to do AG but to be honest I think I got enough brewing kit without adding more to it for the odd beer every now and then, maybe one day. are you on Facebook?

Firefox
01-08-2012, 22:09
That's great info I didn't realise you could apply for a home production spirits licence.

Doodles
02-08-2012, 05:07
I have craigtube on my skype list :lol-053: his videos are great retty much teaches you everythinng you need to know about brewing.I also didnt know you could obtain a license to make personal consumption spirits may have to ask the wife for that smart still after all :) I think that the offer was just to turn over stock as the bitter was still at regular price of 30 odd quid.Something i have to recommend you if you have not tried it yet is coopers ginger beer.It can be made as non alcoholic or add a bag of sugar for about 3% it is by far the best ginger beer i have ever drank in my life i have people always messaging me asking when im brewing up the next batch.Although i normally add about 1.5kg of unrefined sugar to it just to get it to about 4.5% served cold on a hot day its delicious :) Another one to try is from the world foods department in tesco think its polish is their apple cherry juice it comes in 2 litre cartons and makes very very nice wine no need for extra sugar just chuck it in with some yeast and leave it a week Wife likes to make that one.Have you tried using cornlius kegs to dispense yet? I had an entire setup with a flash cooler and beer taps on a bar but sold it to fund the new van :( i also make coopers stout using a medium spray malt which is better than Guinness.Maybe if we are attending the same meet we can exchange bottles sometime try each others brews :)

Doodles
05-08-2012, 08:29
The Krausen ring has settled down nicely now so removed the krausen collar and just need to take a new garvity reading before leaving it to finish fermenting.

The Krausen collar

The pale ale fermenting away nicely :)

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 10:13
I've been brewing for some years. Wine beer, lager, cider Sloe gin with anything you can get my hands on.
I particularly like brewing from the grain. Stinks the house out but my advice wait until the wife is out.
When I made the step to using grain I always thought kits preety poor and stopped using them but my son bought my a Woodfords kit for Christmas.
I could not get over how much the kits had improved and the beer was as good as grain made or from a pub.

Woodforde's Champion Real Ales and Beers from Nelson's County of Norfolk (http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/html/our_beers.html)

I've not tried to make spirits but it's a thought.

This is is good thread to keep going for the info on different ingredients tried and offers.

Doodles
05-08-2012, 11:24
I've been brewing for some years. Wine beer, lager, cider Sloe gin with anything you can get my hands on.
I particularly like brewing from the grain. Stinks the house out but my advice wait until the wife is out.
When I made the step to using grain I always thought kits preety poor and stopped using them but my son bought my a Woodfords kit for Christmas.
I could not get over how much the kits had improved and the beer was as good as grain made or from a pub.

Woodforde's Champion Real Ales and Beers from Nelson's County of Norfolk (http://www.woodfordes.co.uk/html/our_beers.html)

I've not tried to make spirits but it's a thought.

This is is good thread to keep going for the info on different ingredients tried and offers.

Ah the Woodfords 2 can kits they are crackers but here is one i highly recommend it is the Milestone raspberry wheat beer its a 2 can kit as well and its one of the best i have made.

http://www.muntons.com/downloads/101102%20milestone%20raspberry%20wheat%20beer%20_2 _.pdf

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 11:53
Ah the Woodfords 2 can kits they are crackers but here is one i highly recommend it is the Milestone raspberry wheat beer its a 2 can kit as well and its one of the best i have made.

http://www.muntons.com/downloads/101102%20milestone%20raspberry%20wheat%20beer%20_2 _.pdf

This sounds very nice. mmmmmmmmmm.

Doodles
05-08-2012, 12:29
This sounds very nice. mmmmmmmmmm.

I cant recommend it enough :) i willl bring some homebrew with me to next months meet.

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 17:02
I cant recommend it enough :) i willl bring some homebrew with me to next months meet.

Great I'll look forward to it.

Doodles
05-08-2012, 18:42
Just been to Morrisons and they are doing litre cartons of cherry juice for 1 so picked up 4 and it is now in a 5 litre fermenting bucket with some extra sugar dissolved and a sachet fo yeast.Couple of weeks cherry wine :)

john cardiff
05-08-2012, 19:14
Another one to try is from the world foods department in tesco think its polish is their apple cherry juice it comes in 2 litre cartons and makes very very nice wine no need for extra sugar just chuck it in with some yeast and leave it a week Wife likes to make that one:)

Sounds nice off to tesco tomorrow look for some cheers.

Gill/John

john cardiff
06-08-2012, 18:33
:rolleyes2:

Here it is rasberry and apple it bubbling already in under 10 mins.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 11:02

Looks good and should only take a week to ferment out.

Ive just started of a turbo cider pics to come :) also took gravity reading on the pale ale and it 1.005 so its ready to bottle thought it would have taken longer but im gonna leave it another week anyway.

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 11:23

Bring it to the meet John.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 11:24
7205 Ingredients
7206 Origional gravity was 1.045
7207 half kilo sugar dissolved in.
7208 new gravity with sugar was 1.065 so about 7.5% A.B.V
7209 Temperature down to 25.C so ok to pitch yeast
7210 Yeast pitched
7211 Sealed for a week to brew :) with small gap for air to escape.

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 11:26
I'm thinking of arranging a home brew/wine meet next year if there's enough interested.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 11:27
I'm thinking of arranging a home brew/wine meet next year if there's enough interested.

Sounds good to me :)

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 11:31
Sounds good to me :)

Home made cakes as well.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 11:32
Home made cakes as well.

Well i am a chef by trade :)

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 11:39
Well i am a chef by trade :)

Gets better by the minute!

john cardiff
07-08-2012, 19:22
Bring it to the meet John.

Will have to test it 1st hiccupp...if its good will make a few more to bring.

John made a cake this evening will be watching the balloons with a slice of cake and cuppa tea.

MORGANTHEMOON
07-08-2012, 19:25
Will have to test it 1st hiccupp...if its good will make a few more to bring.

John made a cake this evening will be watching the balloons with a slice of cake and cuppa tea.

Looks good John/Gill. I tell you what, you can come to the meet for free. lol.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 19:33
My wife made these for me today raisin and oat cookies.This is all thats left :tongue:

john cardiff
07-08-2012, 19:36
MMMMMMMMMMMM

Can taste them how many have you scoffed.

I only do no bake bannooffee pie here's J's b/day cake last tues, never lasted untill wed piggie's we are.

Doodles
07-08-2012, 19:42
MMMMMMMMMMMM

Can taste them how many have you scoffed.

I only do no bake bannooffee pie here's J's b/day cake last tues, never lasted untill wed piggie's we are.

Only a couple of dozen :o

I love banoffee pie :tongue: not as much as tiramisu but its not far behind :)

john cardiff
07-08-2012, 19:45
:lol-049:
Will your kilt still fit you next time you try it on.

tiramisu not tried that yet.

Funky Farmer
07-08-2012, 19:46
My wife made these for me today raisin and oat cookies.This is all thats left :tongue:
7226 They look good enough to eat:lol-053:

Doodles
07-08-2012, 19:48
:lol-049:
Will your kilt still fit you next time you try it on.

tiramisu not tried that yet.

I just loosen it ia few notches when needed :)

YOU MUST TRY TIRAMISU!!!! seriously you should go out right now to any supermarket and buy some you will be addicted lol.

john cardiff
07-08-2012, 20:09
YOU MUST TRY TIRAMISU!!!!

Buy what you like make it, is looking up the reciepe now LOL

Doodles
07-08-2012, 20:13
Buy what you like make it, is looking up the reciepe now LOL

Much better home made but for a quick fix just buy some lol

Geraldine
07-08-2012, 20:34
Guys can you get back to the real ale talk, I also use to brew as did my father.Have you tryed making a barley wine type beer.Get a bitter kit half the amount of water same amount of sugar as for a forty pinter.Bottle once brewed,fantastic feeling as it slips down with home made bread and cheese to compliment.:p

Doodles
07-08-2012, 20:37
Guys can you get back to the real ale talk, I also use to brew as did my father.Have you tryed making a barley wine type beer.Get a bitter kit half the amount of water same amount of sugar as for a forty pinter.Bottle once brewed,fantastic feeling as it slips down with home made bread and cheese to compliment.:p

I will quite often brew a kit to below the recommended amount if anything it adds a lot more body to it.

Geraldine
07-08-2012, 20:42
My brother has a still ( you can buy them from any good brewing shop for about 100) he makes his own whisky at 60% proof.He was fed up of buying whisky which had been watered down,he rather do that himself!

Geraldine
07-08-2012, 20:44
Doodles next time we meet you must show me those mushrooms!!!!

Doodles
07-08-2012, 20:49
Doodles next time we meet you must show me those mushrooms!!!!

I forgot about the mushrooms lol was down extending chicken coop today i was meant to get a pic of them.

MORGANTHEMOON
19-08-2012, 17:50
You got me at it now potnoodles.
Just made 40 pints of John Bull bitter.

No stopping me now.

Martin P
19-08-2012, 19:21
Im a homebrewer too with with an all grain setup .Got my first crop of hops ripening in my back yard .If you organise a homebrew meet please count me in

Deleted user 21925
19-08-2012, 19:24
Im a homebrewer too with with an all grain setup .Got my first crop of hops ripening in my back yard .If you organise a homebrew meet please count me in

I used to do this on a large scale with Hops and Barley. Would be interested in a homebrew meet.

Martin P
19-08-2012, 19:43
Im only small scale . I made my electric boiler from a stainless 50litre Guiness barrel. I normally come out with about 30litres in my primary fermenter. 14.5 stone and rising

Deleted user 21925
19-08-2012, 20:00
We used domestic water tanks as Mash Tuns and Sparge tanks. We also had a cooling system made from copper piping made into a huge coil to achieve the 'cold break'.
We made a wooden grain hopper with a slide mechanism to dispense the Barley.
Our Hops and Barley were from a shop in Old Street in London, and we used to buy about 5 large sackfulls of each at a time. I used to really enjoy brewing.

Martin P
19-08-2012, 20:16
We used domestic water tanks as Mash Tuns and Sparge tanks. We also had a cooling system made from copper piping made into a huge coil to achieve the 'cold break'.
We made a wooden grain hopper with a slide mechanism to dispense the Barley.
Our Hops and Barley were from a shop in Old Street in London, and we used to buy about 5 large sackfulls of each at a time. I used to really enjoy brewing.

Wow thats quite serious stuff. Im using about a 6kg mix of grains per mash. I too have a copper coil heat exchanger I made from 1/2 coil 5/8 gas pipe left over from a job. Hozelock fittings on the ends ,hey presto. A good cold break makes all the difference. looking forward to using my homegrown hops, I got 6 vines growing well. Fuggles Goldings Progress Challenger Santium and Northdown, .Great to talk brewing ,most people tell me to shut up

SORRY ROBMAC dont know how to highlight your post

Deleted user 21925
19-08-2012, 20:23
Wow thats quite serious stuff. Im using about a 6kg mix of grains per mash. I too have a copper coil heat exchanger I made from 1/2 coil 5/8 gas pipe left over from a job. Hozelock fittings on the ends ,hey presto. A good cold break makes all the difference. looking forward to using my homegrown hops, I got 6 vines growing well. Fuggles Goldings Progress Challenger Santium and Northdown, .Great to talk brewing ,most people tell me to shut up

It's a few years now since we did this, however, discussing it on this thread has got me thinking, and I am now seriously considering starting up again (Not on such a large scale though). May also try growing my own Hops.

For some reason my wife is rolling her eyes!

kimbowbill
19-08-2012, 20:31
It's a few years now since we did this, however, discussing it on this thread has got me thinking, and I am now seriously considering starting up again (Not on such a large scale though). May also try growing my own Hops.

For some reason my wife is rolling her eyes!

What have you done? plz god no, you've not? :scared:

Geraldine
19-08-2012, 20:48
This thread should come with a health warning as Martin P says earlier 14.5 stone and rising!!!!! Rusty bucket rules ok!:tongue:LOL

Martin P
20-08-2012, 19:20

MORGANTHEMOON
20-08-2012, 22:17

She's looking good!

Martin P
21-08-2012, 20:04
Thank you kindly Mr Morgan
This may be of interest, I nearly always use muntons gold yeast as its known for settling out well and sticks well to the bottom of your bottles so is quite resilient to being shaken up in a motorhome.
Dont think i ought to put it down on the motorhoming wildcamping tips thread though!

Nastrovia
Mart

MORGANTHEMOON
21-08-2012, 20:18
I seriously will be thinking of running a homebrew meet.
Let me get the Wales meet over first.
The venue would probably be either non pub or a paid pub venue as I can't see any pub being thrilled with us getting well oiled and not spending money with them. lol

Martin P
21-08-2012, 20:28
Would very much have liked to attend Welsh meet but have promised to take a very special 90yr old lady out for lunch in Denham on that Sunday. Looks like its shaping up well .

Deleted user 21925
21-08-2012, 20:56
She's looking good!

A lot of people have said that after a few pints of homebrew!

Martin P
21-08-2012, 21:00
I dont drink much doc honest 93% water

MORGANTHEMOON
21-08-2012, 22:09
A lot of people have said that after a few pints of homebrew!

Dont talk about my wife like that Rob. lol

gazberwick
22-10-2012, 23:18
Hi guys n gals, been a while since I been on here....just been so busy...nice to see so many still on this thread. I would also be interested in a homebrewers meet so ill keep checking back here.

I heve been busy brewing too, done a few runs with the still and been making wine from al-sorts....picked a load of blackberry's s few weeks ago and made a demijohn of blackberry wine and steeped a few in a litre of gin (home-made). All bottled and seems nice cant wait for crimbo as that's when I think the blackberry wine will be just ready to drink. Done an orange and grapefruit wine which drinks nicely and am on with an orange and pineapple which is one of the wife's favourites. Also bubbling away is a welches purple grape and blueberry wine, sounds strange i know but looks great in a purplish kinda way!!!! Hope it don't taste like bubblegum though!!!!:cheers:

Well off to some where near Masham this weekend (first wild outing) we gonna get the Blacksheep Brewery in hopefully in at somepoint too so hoping we can hide the van somewhere nearby so we can crawl back there after sampling some of mashams ale's!!!! :cheers:

MORGANTHEMOON
27-10-2012, 21:39
Drinking a batch of WOodfords Wherry and its excellent as good as the pub.
I will be organising a homebrew meet sometime early next year

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS