PDA

View Full Version : Too many dogs in this forum ...

mariesnowgoose
03-08-2012, 12:27
... so here's one of our 3 cats.

Never wanted any of them, but promised a friend we'd look after his if he died, which he duly did, the rotter!

Bailey. Rescue cat from Argyle, Scotland, tonkinese cross. Now about 8 years old.
The biggest character of them all, more dog than cat.
Comes running like a puppy when you shout his name - and that's from 2 fields away behind our house.

Occasionally gets the urge to go round every single drawer in the bedroom, opening them and having a look inside.

Favourite pastime is sneaking into the downstairs loo (the other half, Neil, often forgets to shut the doors behind him - it's a man thing)
opening the cupboard door underneath the sink and decimating the loo roll supply. That and bringing us a mountain of dead creatures. Yuk!

Cats. Who'd have 'em. Bleeding nuisance they are. They certainly don't go together with gardening.
But hey ho. Animals are for life <sigh>

I have a friend who uses the same name for all the cats she's owned over the years: Cooking Fat. :lol-053:

All the cats love our camper, but they're too old now to get used to going away with us. Now that WOULD cause mayhem at camping meets! :lol-049:

mariesnowgoose
03-08-2012, 12:37
Help! I've got my knickers in a twist! Duplicate post alert! This needs deleting...

scampa
03-08-2012, 12:46
Duplicate post alert! This needs deleting...

Too many threads on too many dogs in this forum!! :):)

2madcollies
03-08-2012, 12:49
Well we don't agree.

There s not enough as far as we are concerned

:lol-053:

whitevanwoman
03-08-2012, 12:59
My damn cat, Miss Tibby Tabby, nearly ended up coming house-sitting with me a couple of weeks ago - I'd packed up the van, dog was in his cage, shut the side door, went to lock house door, realised I'd forgotten something, grabbed it, locked house, went back to van and opened up side door and the damn cat was inside, curled up comfortably on my bean bag. It was tempting to take her with me, especially as I was going to be staying in the same place for 2 weeks so she would have time to get used to it, but decided against it just to be on the safe side.

Although I popped back home every 3 days to check on her, and spend some time with her, she had obviously really missed both me and the dog and hardly left my side for 48 hours after we got home.

Has anyone any experience of wild camping with cats? It would certainly make my life easier if I could take her out on the road with me. And she's not a great roamer, and although affectionate, she's quite timid around people and vehicles outside of the house. Would she, in time, reach a point where she would recognise the van as "home" so that she could free roam from time to time? The big concern I suppose, is in the event of being moved on suddenly.

Any wild camping cats out there?

oldish hippy
03-08-2012, 13:01
Help! I've got my knickers in a twist! Duplicate post alert! This needs deleting...

Thought this was a post about cats not underwear that might be why you are typing funny

n brown
03-08-2012, 13:11
i like cats,my last cat was semi feral and even i could only approach her from behind.i'd grab her shoulders and in one move put her up on mine,where she'd happily stay all day.if i went walking,she'd run alongside me for miles.never really fed her much,she ate well without our help,and could be left for weeks to fend for herself.watching her catch and eat a small rabbit,nose first.nothing left but the tail,was fascinating!never saw a dog she couldn't see off either. i wouldn't take one camping though,they have their own agenda and may disappear anytime

mariesnowgoose
03-08-2012, 13:17
We helped some friends move to France many moons ago.
They took their tabby with them and she quite happily slept on the dashboard of the removal van all the way there.

Whenever we stopped they let her out (always somewhere safe not near a road) and she would wander off for a pee etc. come back and jump straight back in the van.

Kept her fed and watered on the way. She was not caged at any time, and she'd never gone on any long distance trips with them before. I think this is fairly unusual.

Maybe if you get a cat when it's young enough, depending on breed and temperament, they would get used to travelling around in a camper.
Our cats hate it when we go away. They are pretty dog-like.
Neighbour feeds them if it's only for 2 or 3 nights, any longer and I'd get someone to stay over, probably my Sister as she does house sitting anyway.

Don't believe it when folks say all cats are aloof, loners, etc. Yes, they're very different to dogs, but, depending on temperament, they like the company of humans as well as the next mutt.

whitevanwoman
03-08-2012, 13:24
i like cats,my last cat was semi feral and even i could only approach her from behind.i'd grab her shoulders and in one move put her up on mine,where she'd happily stay all day.if i went walking,she'd run alongside me for miles.never really fed her much,she ate well without our help,and could be left for weeks to fend for herself.watching her catch and eat a small rabbit,nose first.nothing left but the tail,was fascinating!never saw a dog she couldn't see off either

Miss Tibby's mother was a feral farm cat, but they found the kittens young enough to be able to tame them by handling. But she still has that feral streak in her, you can be stroking her and she is purring contentedly whilst sinking her teeth into your hand. She will fight to the death if you want her off the bed and she doesn't want to.

And she definitely understands the word "No" but quite deliberately chooses to ignore it.

And she is the boss. The dog knows that. As do all other visiting dogs. If Miss Tibby wants to curl up next to the dog in his bed, and lick his eyes, and sharpen her claws on his nose, then the dog just accepts it, flinching and wincing. Eventually he might dare to nudge her away, but she'll just come back for more so he just gives in to her.

I regularly find bits of dead rodents and rabbits scattered around the house, often in amongst all the cables behind the TV, and I know she could survive on her own for several weeks, but she does miss us so I do try not to leave her more than a few days at a time.

She costs me more and gives less back than the dog, and other than keeping my knees and shoulders warm, she serves no useful purpose. But I'd really miss her if she wasn't around :mad2:

n brown
03-08-2012, 13:35
i had a dog once. bit needy.stayed needy for 14 years,never learnt much,bit thick i thought.good at rounding things up,but we didn't need rounding up,and crazy yapping if i started a genny,undid a wheel nut,lit a fire,anything unusual in fact.meanwhile the cat looks serenely on

donkey too
03-08-2012, 14:02
I trained both my cat and dog not to eat or drink anything. But they both died on me.

Dogs have owners Cats have servants.

MORGANTHEMOON
03-08-2012, 15:52
We helped some friends move to France many moons ago.
They took their tabby with them and she quite happily slept on the dashboard of the removal van all the way there.

Whenever we stopped they let her out (always somewhere safe not near a road) and she would wander off for a pee etc. come back and jump straight back in the van.

Kept her fed and watered on the way. She was not caged at any time, and she'd never gone on any long distance trips with them before. I think this is fairly unusual.

Maybe if you get a cat when it's young enough, depending on breed and temperament, they would get used to travelling around in a camper.
Our cats hate it when we go away. They are pretty dog-like.
Neighbour feeds them if it's only for 2 or 3 nights, any longer and I'd get someone to stay over, probably my Sister as she does house sitting anyway.

Don't believe it when folks say all cats are aloof, loners, etc. Yes, they're very different to dogs, but, depending on temperament, they like the company of humans as well as the next mutt.

My wife was the same, took her to France and would often let her out for a pee. She always came back just could not shake her off. lol

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS