PDA

View Full Version : credit where credit is due

channa
04-08-2012, 22:24
I have been fortunate enough, to see our athletes beat the world and take gold

I have been very cynical re the Olympics but

Seeing Jessica Ennis grab her gold, it isn't lost on me, my own daughter albeit a different discipline did well in her field and to be top of the tree takes effort and a foresaking of nights out etc etc

In the case of miss Ennis she is from the steel city Sheffield and proved it ....100 percent grit ...

She has won a night in the camper, funny feeling the prize may not be redeemed

Anyway not a bad day for our small island we still make the grade........go gb I for one are proud.

Channa

n brown
04-08-2012, 22:29
I have been fortunate enough, to see our athletes beat the world and take gold

I have been very cynical re the Olympics but

Seeing Jessica Ennis grab her gold, it isn't lost on me, my own daughter albeit a different discipline did well in her field and to be top of the tree takes effort and a foresaking of nights out etc etc

In the case of miss Ennis she is from the steel city Sheffield and proved it ....100 percent grit ...

She has won a night in the camper, funny feeling the prize may not be redeemed

Anyway not a bad day for our small island we still make the grade........go gb I for one are proud.

Channa

it does make you feel proud,thats for sure.as for the winning night in the camper,jess says ta can't make it but mo's on his way,move over !

ellisboy
04-08-2012, 22:30
Have to agree and all our Gold medal winners have one by a mile,smashing the Johnny Foreigners into the ground! :hammer: :banana: :bow: :lol-049: It really makes you feel good watching it :juggle: :cheers:

Firefox
05-08-2012, 01:42
Well done to all the medal winners!

Bushtrekker
05-08-2012, 05:40
I'm normally not a fan of patriotic, jingoistic stuff, but all this week, as our athletes have won one medal after another, I've felt more positive than I have in a long time and had tears in my eye more than once. Last night was very special and a once in a lifetime experience. Jessica Ennis will never be out of work, she is talented, beautiful and articulate, so move over Claire Balding, I think we've just seen a new commentator in the making.

PS, Have you seen that six pack?

Dezi
05-08-2012, 06:02
I'm normally not a fan of patriotic, jingoistic stuff, but all this week, as our athletes have won one medal after another, I've felt more positive than I have in a long time and had tears in my eye more than once. Last night was very special and a once in a lifetime experience. Jessica Ennis will never be out of work, she is talented, beautiful and articulate, so move over Claire Balding, I think we've just seen a new commentator in the making.

I have not seen any of that. What I have seen is a united nation gets behind its athletes & support them to the hilt.

So much so that the fans have just been officially thanked by the I.O.C. for doing just that.

However After one of the greatest ever days in British olympic history We were brung back down to reality - Team GB lose the football match to Korea on penalties.

As Eistein might well have said :-

"Its nice to know that in an ever changing universe some things remain absolutely constant".

Dezi :pc:

John H
05-08-2012, 07:13
I too have been absorbed by the action at the Olympics - and inspired by many of the performances, especially the unexpected ones like that Judo silver medal, the gold from two rowers who got together only a few months ago or the gold in the long jump last night. My beef has never been with the sporting action (i'm a sports addict!) but with some of the organisation/sponsorship and it is great to see the actual sport taking centre stage now! There is no doubt that there is a positive atmosphere about but in the middle of all this there are still the idiots who have to post things (not on this site, I hasten to add!) like "what is a Muslim doing representing GB?" (This and others like it were on the Yahoo comments page). There is always some idiot who will bring you back to earth with a jolt. Never mind, there should be a lot more inspirational performances to come and here's a pub quiz question for you:

In which event this Olympics did Germany win a gold medal by losing both the semi-final and the final?

Enjoy the rest of the action. :D

yorkslass
05-08-2012, 07:56

hey you.:dance: i like claire balding, i think she has done a great job, and no i am not batting for the other side:wacko:

n brown
05-08-2012, 08:00
well as a slaphead i don't like Balding,sorry

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 10:39
hey you.:dance: i like claire balding, i think she has done a great job, and no i am not batting for the other side:wacko:

He's not to bad! lol

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 10:49
It's been great and yes wonderful how all 4 countries have become one.
We've done remarkably well for such a small nation, compared to China, USA we are a drop in the ocean.

baldybloke
05-08-2012, 10:57
Whislt not watching the olympics, it is pleasing to note that the atheletes are being praised, but surely it does not matter wether they win medals or not, just that their efforts are appreciated, These atheletes have sacrificed many things to persue their sport, and although I am anti hype, I congratulate all those who have made such an amazing effort and have been fortunate enough to compete

Lee
05-08-2012, 11:03
Just shows what can happen when we all join up as Great Britian, may be we should look at this and think about our future in the world if we all decide to become independant!!
Pehaps we all need each other.
:idea-007:

Wind Dancer
05-08-2012, 11:06
I don't know how to get the photo up on here but you can find it on Facebook:

Perfect Timing !!

Full moon compliments the Olympic Rings below the Tower Bridge in London Yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/Milkyway.Nasa

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/olympics/olympics-flag-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/olympics.flag-emoticon-1700.html)

Beemer
05-08-2012, 11:30
We took a trip to London last weekend to watch Judo (I used to be a competitor). My wife arranged the tickets a year ago as a birthday present for me. We done the London tour bit on the Saturday and watched two weight categories for male and female judoka on the Sunday. Quite frankly I was not that impressed with GB entrants, especially as I had heard that one of our guys was favourite for a medal.
That said, the atmosphere in the Excel arena was superb, I thought the spectators were tremendous with their applause for good technique, whatever nation was competing.
The last week it has been very apparent that support in all events is the same. Of course all GB athletes should be congratulated for just being there, but it makes me tingle when I hear the support from the crowd!!
All in all an enjoyable olympics.:dance:

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 11:36
I don't know how to get the photo up on here but you can find it on Facebook:

Perfect Timing !!

Full moon compliments the Olympic Rings below the Tower Bridge in London Yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/Milkyway.Nasa

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/olympics/olympics-flag-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/olympics.flag-emoticon-1700.html)

Bushtrekker
05-08-2012, 11:41

... pardon the pun?

Wind Dancer
05-08-2012, 11:44

Thanks MTM
:D

coolasluck
05-08-2012, 11:50
It certainly has made me feel proud of the performance of our athletes at these games makes you realise that we do after all have great talent and dedication in our country.
Also makes you realise that we will always be crap at football after yet again going out on penalties.Embarresing to think that we invented the game.

I did get emotional last night at the track winners particularly at jess, :shag:great looking as well as great talent:shag:,well proud of her and the other winners

jamesmarshall
05-08-2012, 12:19
When you consider the dedication and commitment that our young athletes put into their individual sports, it really does put the X factor wannabees who want every thing now and for nothing, into stark relief. These Olympics have reinforced my optimism for the youth of today. These young people who for the majority of the time go about their training largely ignored by a media that tends to dwell on the televisioned dross that is offered as Saturday night entertainment. (Rant over)

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 12:29
Also the support these athletes get from their families.
My daughter played hockey for Wales and I ran her all around the country and even to Hamberg in Germany.

dave docwra
05-08-2012, 12:30
I too have been absorbed by the action at the Olympics - and inspired by many of the performances, especially the unexpected ones like that Judo silver medal, the gold from two rowers who got together only a few months ago or the gold in the long jump last night. My beef has never been with the sporting action (i'm a sports addict!) but with some of the organisation/sponsorship and it is great to see the actual sport taking centre stage now! There is no doubt that there is a positive atmosphere about but in the middle of all this there are still the idiots who have to post things (not on this site, I hasten to add!) like "what is a Muslim doing representing GB?" (This and others like it were on the Yahoo comments page). There is always some idiot who will bring you back to earth with a jolt. Never mind, there should be a lot more inspirational performances to come and here's a pub quiz question for you:

In which event this Olympics did Germany win a gold medal by losing both the semi-final and the final?

Enjoy the rest of the action. :D

Was it the women's sprint cycling event..

Dave.

John H
05-08-2012, 20:05
Was it the women's sprint cycling event..

Dave.

Yup - the sprint doubles. Congratulations, you win two tickets to the Olympic Rowing finals............................................ .that ended yesterday! :wacko:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS