PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Pot ???

herbenny
05-08-2012, 13:59
This is probably a stupid question but you dont know if you dont ask. I bought a coffee pot thingy from a charity shop yesterday. I have only ever seen one of these in Spain, its metal and you use it on the stove it screws together. Sorry but can anyone tell me how to use it please ???? :rolleyes2:

n brown
05-08-2012, 14:07
unscrew,put water in bottomup to about an inch below rim,fill sieve with ground coffee,screw together put on hob.when the water boils its forced through the coffee into the top half and you get to know from the noise when its finished,make sure rubber seal is good

Smaug
05-08-2012, 14:09
A pic would help as there are several sorts.

Generally, if it's a percolator not a cafetiere, you put ground coffee in a filter at the top & water in the body & then boil it up. The boiling water bubbles up a pipe & percolates down thro the coffee creating tha most fabulous smell. After a while the bubbling noises sort of run together instead of coming in short bursts. You can then take it off the hob & drink it. Americans keep it on a very low hob until it turns to treacle.

n brown
05-08-2012, 14:09
oh yeah,stand back in case safety valve is knacked

jamesmarshall
05-08-2012, 14:10
This is probably a stupid question but you dont know if you dont ask. I bought a coffee pot thingy from a charity shop yesterday. I have only ever seen one of these in Spain, its metal and you use it on the stove it screws together. Sorry but can anyone tell me how to use it please ???? :rolleyes2:

Is it a percolator?

mark61
05-08-2012, 14:13
one of these ?

ivecotrucker
05-08-2012, 14:16
They are intended for ground coffee in small strong shots & they are good at doing just that. I have sometimes wondered, but never tried, what would happen with that Instant Coffee stuff ?.

herbenny
05-08-2012, 14:16
Yeah thats it Mark .....it cost me acouple of 's in the local charity shop it all seems to be in tact the rubber seal seems ok. I was confused on how to use it :rolleyes2:

snowbirds
05-08-2012, 14:17
Hi Herbenny,

We had one back in the 1970's, just put your ground coffee in fill about three quarters bring to boil and perculate or let it stew for a while. it may take a couple of times to get it to your taste.

Regards Snowbirds.:cool1:

Smaug
05-08-2012, 14:20
one of these ?

That's a percolator as described by Brownie & me.

The other sort (a cafetiere like you get in cafe's) you put ground coffee in it, pour in boiling water, let it stand for a few minutes & then push down the handle so that the mesh pushes all the coffee to the bottom of the jug, then pour. But you don't get the same super aroma from them.

mark61
05-08-2012, 14:27
Yes, use as described above. Don't leave on burner for too long after it's ready, ruins the seal.
Don't wash in dishwasher either, unless it's one of the real posh stainless steel versions.

Or perhaps I put too much caustic soda in the dishwasher lol

herbenny
05-08-2012, 14:31
Thanks everyone ...will give it a try. I never worry about asking silly questions on here there is always someone that will know something, forever helpful as always ;););)

mark61
05-08-2012, 14:35
Thanks everyone ...will give it a try. I never worry about asking silly questions on here there is always someone that will know something, forever helpful as always ;););)

Yeah, never worry about asking silly questions, theres always a bunch of sillier people ready with an answer, ;):lol-049::lol-049:

kimbowbill
05-08-2012, 15:53

Awwww jac, bless you, you've brightened my sunday up lass xxx

herbenny
05-08-2012, 16:03
:lol-053: Jen I am such a plank .....durrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... Its such a simple thing and yet I was looking at it like its just landed from mars.

Anyway pleased to say it works !!! woooopeeeewooooooooooooooooooooo:banana:

Funky Farmer
05-08-2012, 16:11
Buy jar of Nescafe :dance: Just a suggestion :)

kimbowbill
05-08-2012, 16:13
:lol-053: Jen I am such a plank .....durrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... Its such a simple thing and yet I was looking at it like its just landed from mars.

your no plank sweetheart, your a darling, i wunt know how to use one either lol, at least you had the bottle to ask :heart:

jamesmarshall
05-08-2012, 16:13
Buy jar of Nescafe :dance: Just a suggestion :)

I find that boiling water cracks the glass jar

Smaug
05-08-2012, 19:32

And the smell? Is it as good as or better than the taste? Leave the door open when on site & you will have hundreds of friends!

n brown
05-08-2012, 19:43

blimey calm down!put less in next time,you won't sleep for a week !

herbenny
05-08-2012, 19:48
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:: wacko::wacko::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: I havent shut up for four hours himbenny is losing the will to live :lol-049:

n brown
05-08-2012, 19:54
are your eyes really wide open?don't go out,if you get nicked the old bill won't believe a word!!

iceman1956
05-08-2012, 19:57
You can't beat a pot of fresh coffee, not used one of those in years. But they are the best!!!! :wacko:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS