PDA

View Full Version : Puppy advice please.

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 18:19
Our Daxy puppy Sally is not taking to motorhome travelling very well.

She is sick on every journey.

We went to Welshpool last weekend and she was sick 3 times on the way.

Any suggestions please.

landydriver
05-08-2012, 18:25
A..

MORGANTHEMOON
05-08-2012, 18:30
All the dogs we've had have been fine in cars etc but have always been used to it from weeks old.

My brothers dog used to be sick when it was in a cage. Since he stopped putting it in a cage its been ok...the only reason seems to be it can see out now???

Can it see out? It may help.

She has been in her basket.
Nessa her mum sits on my wifes lap but Sally did not seem fussy on this but on our return journey she tried her on her lap again. She wriggled a lot but was much better.
Now Julie has 2 dogs on her lap which is a bit of a pain.

Sparks
05-08-2012, 18:42
Post deleted

lotty
05-08-2012, 18:53
I know a chap who's pup gets very car sick. His vet said to give it a travel sickness pill which he now does and no sick!
He uses the human ones, brand called sea legs I think he said.
X

Funky Farmer
05-08-2012, 19:23
In my experience some puppies do take a little longer to get used to travelling than others. Do you take her in the car with you? If not perhaps it would be an idea to do so on several shorter trips to get her used to it. The other option is to buy a travelling cage with some news paper in the bottom until she gets used to it. At least cleaning up won't be such a problem.

baldybloke
05-08-2012, 19:27
I've had a couple of dogs that were travel sick, one in particular we thought we were going to lose she was so ill (at 8 weeks old), they have all grown out of it, started with short trips and then longer ones, now we have problems keeping them out of the car!, our youngest still does not like the car, but is not now sick, but she loves the MH!,

I just took advice from our old vet, "just do it little steps at a time, they wil be fine", or give the pup a SMALL dose of travel sickness pill, but check with a good vet familiar with your breed.

kimbowbill
05-08-2012, 21:03
I agree with the short journeys at a time, i had a little yorkie years ago and she was ages getting used to car, she used to be sick before she got in car cos she new she wo goin in car, if that makes sense, so i took her on little journeys at a time, i dont believe in giving them drugs tho, i'm sure this could have a long term effect, i think its nice if they can look out the window too, open her the window and let her look out, just a thought.

hobbit
05-08-2012, 21:13
The sea sick pills work great,but remember,she is only a puppy so halve or even quarter the dose.A winduw slightly open helps also.
:cheers:

Funky Farmer
05-08-2012, 22:01
The sea sick pills work great,but remember,she is only a puppy so halve or even quarter the dose.A winduw slightly open helps also.
:cheers:

Sorry, I don't agree, I'm totally against giving young animals drugs, until all other remedies have been tried.There is no way of getting the right dose for her weight without a vet's prescription and we all know about those!

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 06:01
Sorry, I don't agree, I'm totally against giving young animals drugs, until all other remedies have been tried.There is no way of getting the right dose for her weight without a vet's prescription and we all know about those!

I totally agree with you Pete, the drugs are a quick fix solution and don't resolve the issue, the puppy will get there in the end, and she will be jumping in the van in the driving seat before you MTM :lol-053: i don't agree with the crate at the back either, she will feel alone and more scared, you could also try sitting in the van for while (not moving) and playing with her, so she sees that place as a fun place rather than a horrid place

However, on the drugs bit, i worked for a vet for many years and he told me to give my old lab 1 aspirin per day to aid her arthritis, and it sure did work, also the very few times they have been in kennels and come back with a cough, i have given them a mild cough medicine, but they were not puppies.

daisymini
06-08-2012, 07:15
I definitely agree about not giving drugs...!! My oldest Labradoodle who is coming up 4yrs old has never traveled well, She would get anxious and sit there and drool all over and then throw up and that was usually before i got round the corner. My vet suggested some sort of dog travel pill but she also suggested small trips with rewards which i did, ie. Short journey to the park and then an hours play etc. Ive done this and increased the distance each time so that now i can at least get out of the town without her throwing up. In fact she traveled all the way from Cleethorpes to Suffolk and back without being sick once!!!!!! I think once they know that it is going to be a rewarding experience they get less anxious although i still put lots of covers over my seats etc just in case...lol!!!

Funky Farmer
06-08-2012, 07:18
Hi Kimbo
I wasn't suggesting a crate as a permanent solution, Better a crate for a couple of longish trips than not able to go at all or vomit everywhere. Anyway, that said, it won't be long before she has her road legs :)

Doodles
06-08-2012, 07:43

Sorry wrong thread was meant for Phils thread.I know this is a serious question you have no offence meant.

Polly
06-08-2012, 07:47
Hia

My Izzy is nearly 2 and as always travelled in her cage either in the car or motorhome

She is happy with this as once she sees the cage then she knows we are going out and is excited also she gets a treat once in the cage

No trouble with sickness

Wind Dancer
06-08-2012, 12:22
I definitely agree about not giving drugs...!! My oldest Labradoodle who is coming up 4yrs old has never traveled well, She would get anxious and sit there and drool all over and then throw up and that was usually before i got round the corner. My vet suggested some sort of dog travel pill but she also suggested small trips with rewards which i did, ie. Short journey to the park and then an hours play etc. Ive done this and increased the distance each time so that now i can at least get out of the town without her throwing up. In fact she traveled all the way from Cleethorpes to Suffolk and back without being sick once!!!!!! I think once they know that it is going to be a rewarding experience they get less anxious although i still put lots of covers over my seats etc just in case...lol!!!

Good advice to build it up gradually and always have something fun at the other end. A walk, a special game or treat etc.

Someone else mentioned not feeding beforehand, so you could feed her after and that will be another good association for her. (However do try and keep to some sort of routine with her feed times though).

Also try not to worry about her on the journey. In fact make sure you are not worried about anything on the journey if you can. Easier said than done I know, but she will pick up on any anxiety from her Alpha's and that will make her fret. So if you are calm and relaxed yourselves, that will help her a lot.

:wave:

Bigpeetee
06-08-2012, 12:32
Our Retriever Charlie has never been car sick and loves travelling.

He's such a gentle dog, especially with children, very laid back, useless guard dog, or so we thought until some Oiks tried climbing over the garage to get into our garden one evening. He went ballistic, from dozing to flat out in less than 0.2 sec!!

He'll keep you fit Phil!!, thinks nothing of running while I cycle for 4-5 miles, 30 mins later and he's ready to go again. At eight, he should be slowing down.

You can also practice spinning and knitting with his hair when he moults, or send it to WVW for her to do!!

PS partly in the wrong forum, Hey Ho!!

maingate
06-08-2012, 13:47
The travel sick tablets will not do your dog any harm and it is better than cleaning up sick in your van. Most dogs grow out of it at around 6 to 9 months old. More nervous dogs might never get over it. It was important to us to solve this problem as we sometimes travelled hundreds of miles to big Championship shows.

I will need to check with the wife but I thing Stugeron tablets are the ones that work well (from my unreliable memory).

We took the pups out from about 5 weeks old, just around the block and accompanied by their Mother and we have only had a little bother with one pup that we bought. Our home bred pups have never had a problem.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS