PDA

View Full Version : Olympics!

rach82
05-08-2012, 21:46
I for one had taken no notice of the olympics - until it actually came!

The one event I actually wanted to watch - Equestrian eventing, was in the first few days and I missed it only seeing highlights!

Was very proud of the silver medal they got though (unlike the Daily mail that insinuated Zara phillips was a failier to GB!!!!!!!)

Anyway - really proud of team GB and I have watched a load of sports I would not normally watch - even getting emotional!!!!

I really am enjoying it and I hope other synical people have too!

Funky Farmer
05-08-2012, 21:50
I think the whole thing has been fabulous. So much for the detractors before they had even begun. Well done all concerned :)

robjk
05-08-2012, 21:57
I for one had taken no notice of the olympics - until it actually came!

The one event I actually wanted to watch - Equestrian eventing, was in the first few days and I missed it only seeing highlights!

Was very proud of the silver medal they got though (unlike the Daily mail that insinuated Zara phillips was a failier to GB!!!!!!!)

Anyway - really proud of team GB and I have watched a load of sports I would not normally watch - even getting emotional!!!!

I really am enjoying it and I hope other synical people have too!

I agree never watched Olympics before, I have not been against just not interested until it started. The British press did their best to rubbish the games and all around it before they even started, but now they are all over team GB winners.
I loved the opening and have enjoyed the events as they happen. I am also happy for all of our medal winners plus all of the team GB who did not get medals as every one of them did the best they could offer on the day and have made most of us proud to be British.
My local paper has recently run a story saying that the Olympics is turning us all into couch potatoes !!

:beer:

Rob

runnach
05-08-2012, 22:02
Been busy with other stuff to be able to watch olympics, watch a few headlines first thing in the morning before getting out me scratcher.

I see oor Andy got GOLD, get in there son, nice one..........getting emotional now, going to have a wee dram to celebrate :cheers:

Congratulations to other medal winners also, they have done very well for the country and, a great credit to themselves and their families!!

Funky Farmer
05-08-2012, 22:28
<Snip>
My local paper has recently run a story saying that the Olympics is turning us all into couch potatoes !!

:beer:

Rob

They never miss a trick to spoil everything do they. I gave up reading papers years ago but now tele is nearly as bad:mad:

GregM
08-08-2012, 21:14
I have never been a sport fan, I like watching footy and F1 on the TV but thats it but for some reason I decided to volunteer for London 2012. I spent 3 weeks, dressed in a purple and red uniform, in London prior to the games actually starting, welcoming Athletes, Officials and international media to London at Terminal 5 LHR, no were near any sport.

London was buzzing, even in the build up, strangers came up and spoke to me on the tube about the games etc.

I visited the Olympic park once to see the Opening Ceremony being rehearsed but again no sport.

I got home on the evening of the Opening Ceremony and since that day all I've watched is the BBC coverage of the games and I'm loving it. Forget the negative press in recent weeks, TeamGB has done us proud and London has done us proud.

kimbowbill
09-08-2012, 17:18
Yet another winner from Yorkshire, they are doing us proud

well done Nicola Adams, 1st ever woman boxer to win gold

Funky Farmer
09-08-2012, 17:32

well done Nicola Adams, 1st ever woman boxer to win gold We just need a Red Setter now to complete the collection :lol-053::lol-053:

John H
09-08-2012, 18:08
Loved the irony of today's gold medals - a posh woman with a French name on a horse worth more than my motorhome and a down-to-earth lass from Leeds who has probably never heard of dressage. Multiculturalism in action!

lotty
09-08-2012, 21:11
I was the same Rach before it started but am really into it now. Ive got quite emotional a couple of times today being one watching the dressage, when Charlottes music went into Land of hope and glory, wow.

shortcircuit
09-08-2012, 21:16
Really impressed by these youngster who have given everything. You get nowt for nowt whether its dressage or boxing and with the effort they have put in they have done us proud

John H
10-08-2012, 08:18
I wasn't having a go at the dressage rider (although I'm a bit dubious as to whether it is actually a sport! :D); I was having a go at those people like the Tory MP who complained about the multi-cultural opening ceremony. Having said that, I heard this morning that those horses are worth not just more than my motorhome but as much as 10million! Don't think my grandchildren will be prompted into dressage by our team's success!

bopper
10-08-2012, 08:22
Roll on Sunday!!!!

kimbowbill
10-08-2012, 08:24
When i had my horses many years ago, mine used to do dressage, she was always walking sideways on road :scared::scared: and dancing around :dance:

MORGANTHEMOON
10-08-2012, 08:49
When i had my horses many years ago, mine used to do dressage, she was always walking sideways on road :scared::scared: and dancing around :dance:

No that was you when you were rat arsed.

shortcircuit
10-08-2012, 09:51
10 million for a horse is really amazing however the rider has to control it. I would say I have more admiration for those that put in hours of blood sweat and tears in training, not to say there is not a lot of work with the show jumpers etc

To get the 10 million in perspective, 30 million for a footie player whose traning will be perfecting the art of falling down.

fishy & Nina
10-08-2012, 11:29
I must admit that I was a bit cynical before it started Rach, but I / we have watched a huge amount, including the minority events where, imho, I feel you get the more down to earth honesty and emotion of the ordinary athlete with enormous skills. This has also been an area where there have been some wonderful, surprise, medal winners who were not tipped by the media or given the coverage they deserve until after the event.

A brilliant games; a fantastic opportunity to watch 'minority' sports; a good range of viewing platforms (via tv and pc); if they could only get rid of all the padding out and, sometimes, tedious punditry.................

Other than that - gggggggggggggggggreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt !:banana:

ps
I even watch the Equestrian events with interest - that is a complete first!

ian

John H
10-08-2012, 15:07
A brilliant games; a fantastic opportunity to watch 'minority' sports; a good range of viewing platforms (via tv and pc); if they could only get rid of all the padding out and, sometimes, tedious punditry.................

I agree - if I hear one more television interviewer asking an athlete how they feel, I'll probably hit something! And, although the range of coverage has been good, the quality of some of the camera work and provision of real information instead of endless waffle has been awful - especially in the cycling road races (dreadful) and in the open water swimming yesterday (I think the Director was going for some kind of art award!).

jamesmarshall
10-08-2012, 19:22
10 million for a horse is really amazing however the rider has to control it. I would say I have more admiration for those that put in hours of blood sweat and tears in training, not to say there is not a lot of work with the show jumpers etc

To get the 10 million in perspective, 30 million for a footie player whose traning will be perfecting the art of falling down.

And then you balance that kind of money against a young working class girl boxer from Leeds who had to go toe to toe against opponents who were just as hungry for that gold medal as she was. When you talk of hours of training and blood sweat and tears I believe she put more in and truly earned her medal.

shortcircuit
10-08-2012, 19:32
And then you balance that kind of money against a young working class girl boxer from Leeds who had to go toe to toe against opponents who were just as hungry for that gold medal as she was. When you talk of hours of training and blood sweat and tears I believe she put more in and truly earned her medal.

I was on tenderhooks watching this bout and did cartwheels, well roll overs,when she won. What a super character and is what its all about. Well done.

Go wild
10-08-2012, 20:38
Glad you're enjoying the olympics, i've got the misfortune of working at them!
Never again, if only you knew what goes on behind the scenes :(

shortcircuit
10-08-2012, 20:46

OH? This sounds scandal, tell us, tell us more!

Go wild
10-08-2012, 20:49
So badly organised, been working all hours and mainly to keep things moving, nightmare :cry:

jamesmarshall
10-08-2012, 21:19

Start a blog, Go wild, and spill the beans. You've got me hooked now.

Go wild
10-08-2012, 21:21
:lol-053:

shortcircuit
10-08-2012, 21:25
Very disappointing as it all appears ok. As usual the footsoldiers keep the show running and those at the top are in total oblivion and will claim all the credits.

kimbowbill
11-08-2012, 00:48
Very disappointing as it all appears ok. As usual the footsoldiers keep the show running and those at the top are in total oblivion and will claim all the credits.

This is so true, slightly off topic, it was the same when all the houses on my estate were having improvements done under the decent home scheme, David Blunkett visited one of the completed houses and they were all raving about how fantastic things had been blah blah, but it all was a nightmare, the list of complaints, and the things some of the contractors had done, you couldn't write them,

mandrake
11-08-2012, 04:32
Start a blog, Go wild, and spill the beans. You've got me hooked now.

he mabey cannot spill the beans OR HE MAY BE FOR THE HIGH JUMP

Dezi
11-08-2012, 06:59

It was entirely your choice, so stop whinging.

Dezi :pc:

Dezi
11-08-2012, 07:01
So badly organised, been working all hours and mainly to keep things moving, nightmare :cry:

The games have been very well organised & once again, it was your choice to get involved.

shortcircuit
11-08-2012, 07:13
The games have been very well organised & once again, it was your choice to get involved.

I assume with your comment that you are also working at games so can substantiate this?

Dezi
11-08-2012, 07:37
I assume with your comment that you are also working at games so can substantiate this?

Not these games,but I have been involved with other international events very similar & I also know 3 individuals who are working / participating at London.

Nothing ever goes smoothly regardless of the planning. The mens relay proved that last night,

but to say "i've got the misfortune of working at them" when its the participants choice & then describing the experience as a "nightmare" is whinging nonsense.

shortcircuit
11-08-2012, 07:51
" The games have been very well organised" "Nothing ever goes smoothly regardless of the planning" Make up your mind.

Were your three friends the ones that got gassed :o

Funky Farmer
11-08-2012, 07:56
Oh dear. Did some of us get out of the bed the wrong side this morning? :wacko: Do a few press ups and you will feel much better .... Perhaps :mad1:

Dezi
11-08-2012, 10:20
" The games have been very well organised" "Nothing ever goes smoothly regardless of the planning" Make up your mind.

Were your three friends the ones that got gassed :o

My mind is very clear & I have explained the situation at any large event very well.

Regardless of how well organised, regardless how smoothly things are going, somebody, many bodies, are working very hard to make it so & ironing out the last minute glitches. Thats the job.

If you are implying that because something is well planned & the events run to order then things must be perfect behind the scenes, then I am afraid thats simply not living in the real World.

channa
11-08-2012, 12:03

well done Nicola Adams, 1st ever woman boxer to win gold

As you know I have issues with female boxiing, however I would never deny that seeing Nicolas smile and the fact a yorks lass...I am happy for her

I am currently promoting a fight at batley on the 18 th of August, and literally within the last hour I can confirm we have evander holyfield presenting prizes photo sessions etc if anyone is interested

shortcircuit
11-08-2012, 12:09
As you know I have issues with female boxiing, however I would never deny that seeing Nicolas smile and the fact a yorks lass...I am happy for her

I am currently promoting a fight at batley on the 18 th of August, and literally within the last hour I can confirm we have evander holyfield presenting prizes photo sessions etc if anyone is interested

Dezi and I can have a bout??

Dezi
11-08-2012, 14:28

Typical, picking on a pensioner.

However I am quite confident that my low underhand, sneaky, conniving behaviour along with a complete disregard for the rules will see my through.

Dezi :mad2:

shortcircuit
11-08-2012, 14:34

Typical, picking on a pensioner.

However I am quite confident that my low underhand, sneaky, conniving behaviour along with a complete disregard for the rules will see my through.

Dezi :mad2:

It will be even stevens, two auld codgers full of wind and , however I think I will yield to your higher level of cunning. :wave:

mandrake
11-08-2012, 16:48

dident think you had to promote a good fight in batly especialy at weekends and at night .,,,,,,...oppps beware incoming

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS