PDA

View Full Version : Amish people

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 20:50
Did you see the program on Amish people in America the other day.
It was really quite interesting how these people live and they seemed happy but underneath there was rebellion against the strictness of this order.
I liked the part where the wife had to obey the husband and I liked those little carts but they were also a little sinister, I think they reminded me of dracular films. Or was that in a past life. lol

The question is, could you live like that?

Were these the first motorhomes?

Firefox
06-08-2012, 21:00
Maybe by choice I could, it's a nice simple life, if one cuts out the sexual inequality aspects. But this is all enforced by religious belief, so nope

dave docwra
06-08-2012, 21:01
As much as I yearn for the simple life, I would not know what to do with myself if it ever arrived, love my gadgets too much..

Dave.

kangooroo
06-08-2012, 21:04
The lifestyle appeals to me very much apart from the heavy emphasis on religion and the sexual inequality which I'd never cope with.

Doodles
06-08-2012, 21:06
I wanted to grow an Amish beard but wife said no so i had to go for the long goatie instead :)

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 21:07
Yeah, i would obey my husband :scared: this is why he is the ex, i think he was a secret Amish :lol-053:

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:07
The lifestyle appeals to me very much apart from the heavy emphasis on religion and the sexual inequality which I'd never cope with.

Yes they have some things right.

My wife was horrified with the wifes status.

I did try to explain to her how lucky she was. The swelling on my eye is going down now. lol

Mind you he was not into family planning.

Bushtrekker
06-08-2012, 21:09
How much the Amish look like Muslims and Jews, both communities in which women are not treated particularly well.

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:11
Yeah, i would obey my husband :scared: this is why he is the ex, i think he was a secret Amish :lol-053:

Who bloody asked you kimbo.
I never thought you would be subservient.

Bushtrekker
06-08-2012, 21:17
.. aren't two words which I would immediately associate with each other;)

Somelier
06-08-2012, 21:22
What I find puzzling is that they reject "modern" devices, but at what point is a device modern? Surely the wheel, the forge, the saw, the plane etc are "modern" devices (well, not the wheel, I suppose, it's been around a while). At what point is a device acceptable or not?

Strange people to my mind!!

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 21:23
Who bloody asked you kimbo.
I never thought you would be subservient.
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 21:24
.. aren't two words which I would immediately associate with each other;)

so what about obedient Kimbo???:lol-049:

n brown
06-08-2012, 21:25
america,home of the brave,the extreme,the weird and the extremely weird.mad people frighten me

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:35
so what about obedient Kimbo???:lol-049:

Ummmmmmmmmm! no.

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:36
What I find puzzling is that they reject "modern" devices, but at what point is a device modern? Surely the wheel, the forge, the saw, the plane etc are "modern" devices (well, not the wheel, I suppose, it's been around a while). At what point is a device acceptable or not?

Yes it was weird like the horse and cart had indicators.

runnach
06-08-2012, 21:46
Four year ago, we visited Cypress Gardens theme park in Florida (I think it was one the first parks?). We were surprised to see a few young Amish families enjoying themselves in the park.

Perhaps their religeon being strict, varies from state to state??

I loved their gear, no mall shopping for them, which aint a bad thing!!

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:48
Four year ago, we visited Cypress Gardens theme park in Florida (I think it was one the first parks?). We were surprised to see a few young Amish families enjoying themselves in the park.

Perhaps their religeon being strict, varies from state to state??

I loved their gear, no mall shopping for them, which aint a bad thing!!

This is the answer, I'll make my wife Amish to stop her shopping.

iceman1956
06-08-2012, 21:55
This is the answer, I'll make my wife Amish to stop her shopping.

Just take away her credit card, Much easier :scared:

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:56
Just take away her credit card, Much easier :scared:

I'm to young to die.

runnach
06-08-2012, 21:57
I use to work with a guy named Amish McPherson :D

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 21:58
I use to work with a guy named Amish McPherson :D

And?

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 22:04
And?

:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

runnach
06-08-2012, 22:12
And?

Noooooooooo..............Amish, And is his brother :D

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 23:04

a dont gerrit???? is this a joke???:raofl::raofl::raofl:

MORGANTHEMOON
06-08-2012, 23:06

Awe Kimbo wake up and smell the flowers.

runnach
06-08-2012, 23:08

I guess Kimbooo is blonde? :help:

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 23:12
I guess Kimbooo is blonde? :help:

Naturally, i just dye my roots black :lol-053::lol-053:

kimbowbill
06-08-2012, 23:13
Awe Kimbo wake up and smell the flowers.

What? :lol-053: i really don't get it :lol-053:

runnach
06-08-2012, 23:15
What? :lol-053: i really don't get it :lol-053:

We know, you said this in a previous post :wave:

mark61
06-08-2012, 23:19
Funny, thought his brother was Ant :)

sasquatch
06-08-2012, 23:47
One of the major folding camper manufacturers in the US have an Amish workforce and praises their cabinet making skills.
There are other religious groups who originate from the same area of Europe. Apart from the Amish there are Mennonites and Shakers.

Bigpeetee
07-08-2012, 07:50
There is a sizeable Amish community in Sarasota, Florida.

They appear to be a more moderate branch.

There are several Amish restaurants, in the area where they live, one is quite down to earth and homely, but they have long queues waiting for tables, the food is terrific, nothing posh, just good down to earth grub (this is my favourite place to eat). The other, whilst serving good food has developed into a huge operation, selling all sorts of ancillary "stuff".

There is a feeling of calm in their neighbourhood, they ride bikes on the whole, but I haven't seen any horse & buggies, probably more difficult in a city area.

Did the Amish just ban at the internal combustion engine, because there do seem to be many "modern" items in houses, Electricity, fridges, cookers etc, so where do they draw the line?? They certainly accept modern medicine.

I could never accept principles drawn on religious doctrines, but, looking at the fundamentals of various religions, most have their equivalent of the 10 commandments, not a bad building block, it just went wrong after that.

runnach
07-08-2012, 08:08
Didn't know there were a Amish community in Sarasota, will look up this info, next time we return, we only went for a day, lovely place.

Cheers........

Bushtrekker
07-08-2012, 09:53
... the little blue number:lol-053:

antiquesam
07-08-2012, 11:07

I was confused about devices, she had an old electric washing machine, they used rechargeable torches and power tools, so what a modern device is seem to be selective.

Bigpeetee
07-08-2012, 12:54
Didn't know there were a Amish community in Sarasota, will look up this info, next time we return, we only went for a day, lovely place.

Cheers........

We just love Sarasota, it's so relaxed, so different to much of Florida

Our fave restaurant: Sarasota Amish Tradition | Amish Country Foods (http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/)

Lido Key (http://www.seesarasotalive.com/lido-key)

Try Anna Maria Island for total peace EarthCam - Anna Maria Island Cam (http://www.earthcam.com/cams/florida/annamariaisland/)

Somelier
07-08-2012, 14:37

Didn't there used to be an Amish and Andy show on TV in the late 50s?

runnach
07-08-2012, 21:53
We just love Sarasota, it's so relaxed, so different to much of Florida

Our fave restaurant: Sarasota Amish Tradition | Amish Country Foods (http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/)

Lido Key (http://www.seesarasotalive.com/lido-key)

Try Anna Maria Island for total peace EarthCam - Anna Maria Island Cam (http://www.earthcam.com/cams/florida/annamariaisland/)

I was licking my lips viewing some of what is available on menu, local noted for future use.

Anna Maria Island is on the list too, so much to do and see over there, time just flys in, plus, depending where you are based and, where you want to visit, can take considerible time.

Tarpon Springs is another cool place, buit Greek sponge diving community, it is like being on a Greek island when there.

Regards.......

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS