PDA

View Full Version : Recommend 100 satnav for custom poi's?

Earl
07-08-2012, 07:20
Good morning campers.

Long time lurker, now full time member :)

Now I have access to the poi download I thought it is about time I updated my satnav to one that I can put in custom poi.

I only need UK maps and possibly ROI.

There are 2 that stand out, Garmin nuvi 50 and TomTom Start 20.

Wondering if you would recommend either of these 2 or maybe something else?

The only other stipulation is it must be available from Argos.

Thanks in advance.

iceman1956
07-08-2012, 07:59
First Welcome as a full Member:wave:

If you are only driving something small both are pretty good entry level Sat Nav's. I have used the Garmin, but I have just acquired a Tom Tom Live, which I am about to have the Truck mapping and software installed on it. If you have a larger Motorhome I would look at the mapping and the ability to select large vehicle.

Having been on the wrong side of a poor Sat Nav in a large motorhome, "My Navman" which I am about to retire brought me over the North Yorkshire Moors, small country lanes and a Low Bridge.(with 3" to spare) My backside was tweaking I can tell you. :lol-049:

fairytooth
07-08-2012, 08:07
I'm not sure if you know Argos has an Outlet Store on Ebay. If that suits there is this one TOMTOM START 20 UK AND ROI SAT NAV 0636926047906 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMTOM-START-20-UK-AND-ROI-SAT-NAV-/330769662190?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4d036880ee)

Earl
07-08-2012, 09:34
@iceman1956
I have a Karmann Gipsy so normally size isn't a problem. Sounds like your journey was 'fun' :)

@fairytooth
Thanks for the heads up, but I can't buy online as I'll be using a gift card that can only be used instore. Great to know for future reference though.

activecampers
07-08-2012, 14:58
If you get a TomTom get one that takes "SD" cards in the bottom.
Then, if you are feeling naughty, you can download and update "alternative" software for it and newer maps.
Of course, this is from dodgy websites which I do not recommend in the slightest like gpsunderground but it does extend the life of tomtom units. Of course, I'm morally king and and would never consider such an act.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS