PDA

View Full Version : isle of skye

75swampy
30-08-2007, 10:45
hi,

just found this site,looks really good.bit short notice but thought i would give it a try to see if anyone can give me advice on wild camping around kyles of lochalsh and isle of skye. i will be driving my 1984 vw transporter so its not too big.

not got a plan but looking at going to glencoe at the weekend then up to kyles of lochalsh over to skye.i have about a week in total.looking for somewhere safe and that won't bother the locals.

spent the other night at the picnic area at the side of loch lubnaig,stunning and no hassle at all.although i did spend half my time picking up the rubbish that people before me had left.

looking forward to my trip,hope you guys can help.thanks

sagart
30-08-2007, 14:28
And I'm down in Paignton!
On the way to Kyle, down Glen Shiel...quite a few places on the lefthand side on the old road...good one about 4 miles before the Cluanie Inn http://www.cluanieinn.com/ From then one, ocasional areas but from Shiel Bridge on, there is not much.
Skye camping is better the further you get from the bridge, some areas of old road just before Sligachan on the right..take the Dunvegan Road there and again sections of old road are useful. Portree road om Sligachan not too useful as Forest Enterprise are harvesting so some useful sites are now unusable.
Forest Enterprise normally allow use of their areas if you don't get in the way.
Portree...Staffin, areas can be found. Staffin north to Duntulm and around to Uig have useful spots.
The Staffin to Uig road (Quiraing) has several areas at the top of the hairpin and superb views.
UIg to Borve, very little, but right at Borve (signed Dunvegan) again has sections of old road. Waternish promentory (Loch Bay/Trumpan) is not much help though an rea at Trumpan opposie the ruined church has super views.
Dunvegan turn to the castle and onwards...couple of spots overlooking the water.
Through Dunvegan towards Sligachan, take Harlosh loop road and at the crossroads (postbox/bus shelter/ phonebox) go straight down to the waterside (no further) or left on the loop road at the crosroads for a large flat area next to an empty two storey house.
Hope this helps, sorry for no map references, but I am using my laptop.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS