PDA

View Full Version : Warning Sheigra in danger of being closed.2012

spirit driver
08-08-2012, 20:42
Camping at the small sandy bay Sheigra, Near Kinlochbervie
is still allowed. There are no facilities other than a water pipe near the cemetery and Sheigra House. However, from the 31st October 2011 no cars will be allowed on to the camping area to enable the machair to recover and hopefully thrive.( Cars will have to be left adjacent to the cemetery about 1/4 mile away). Tents should not be pitched between the burn and the beach for this reason . Notices have been placed on the entrance gate with these requests. So please read all and adhere to all notices to keep this unique place open to all.

So make sure you do not camp across the burn to the left hand side of the site (as you look out to sea). The John Muir Trust requests this area should not be used and people have been ignoring this, this year 2012, and we risk the site being closed totally. PLEASE don`t spoil this site for us all, adhere to the requests. Or else John Muir Trust WILL close it they will have no qualms about doing things like this, they are very strict. They own Ben Nevis and they stop people going up the Ben and certain activities within this area, when it suits their purpose. So be warned folks.:sad::danger:

christine
08-08-2012, 21:57
So what happens to motorhomes?

champstar
10-08-2012, 17:22
it would be a real shame as this is a great location but the access gate is very tight and uneven...try not to scrape the van.

hillwalker
09-09-2013, 20:44
I really cant see this happening , this place depends on summer tourists ,, I was there in July this year and I had no problem at all , I even had a small fire in my firebox OFF THE GROUND .... and a old shepherd came up to me and had a chat .. the auld guy was great ... . JUST LEAVE NO TRACE ..

ashbyspannerman
09-09-2013, 23:42
Just got to love the machair!

Danthevan
13-05-2015, 20:50
Is this spot still OK for Wild camping?

christine
14-05-2015, 09:03
I'd be interested to know also, Dan.

Pugs
14-05-2015, 14:55
Ask the Highland council if this is enforceable, give'em a ring.

I must say Sutherland is becoming a bit unfriendly this last couple of years and i'm getting put off visiting the area and I'm from Nairnshire!

There are crofters and others who seem fit to ignore the HC and continue to operate their own 'No overnight parking' enforcements which is unenforceable and has no legal backing, it's also occuring in Durness area to!

The original poster was or is a guest and is probably from that area and why the 'Danger' signs, all a bit Suspicious

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS