PDA

View Full Version : Wasdale

ian1959
08-08-2012, 21:35
Just come back from a third visit to Wasdale this year, looks like the NT have put new no camping overnight sighs on all lay-bys on the side of the lake.

scampa
08-08-2012, 21:44
That's a shame, there's some great views from there.

Did you notice if the big grassed parking area near to the Wasdale Inn is still available for overnighting?

Canalsman
08-08-2012, 21:50
Thanks for the update. I've removed them from the POIs :(

Regards

Chris

Firefox
09-08-2012, 00:57
You could probably still use the carparking for the inn if you asked them. We've left the car there numerous times in the past and gone wild camping with a plastic sheet for a tent over in Black Sail woods.

ian1959
10-08-2012, 10:12
That's a shame, there's some great views from there.

Did you notice if the big grassed parking area near to the Wasdale Inn is still available for overnighting?

I parked my van there while I walked up Great Gable (8th Aug)....I didnt see any no camping overnight signs there....have there been some in the past???

scampa
10-08-2012, 10:21
I parked my van there while I walked up Great Gable (8th Aug)....I didnt see any no camping overnight signs there....have there been some in the past???

Not that I know of, but if new signs are being added elsewhere, I was concerned in case one had appeared in that spot too (especially with a small campsite not far away).

Hope you enjoyed Gable?!! :)

james1508
12-08-2012, 19:45
Just come back from a third visit to Wasdale this year, looks like the NT have put new no camping overnight sighs on all lay-bys on the side of the lake.

The signs have been up for a while they have just updated unfortunately and more of them . I too have just spent a weekend here on the Green at Wasdale Head and it is still ok (no signs) Saturday night and there was at least half a dozen campers and a couple of 100 other vehicles during the day including the over spill car park . The Campsite at the pub was full and there were a couple of tents camping on the Green too. What a shame they just dont put up No Fire and take your litter home signs (which are needed for the simpletons ) instead of no over night stopping etc.

James

witzend
12-08-2012, 21:22
Does the NT have the right to put these signs in roadside lay bys it could be a way of claiming this ground In our village there is a large piece of cliff ground approx 3 acres which the NT have tried to claim twice that I know of by putting signs and even a collection box in the wall. All have been removed by the Parish council which own's the land so maybe some one local could challenge these signs

james1508
13-08-2012, 19:21
Does the NT have the right to put these signs in roadside lay bys it could be a way of claiming this ground In our village there is a large piece of cliff ground approx 3 acres which the NT have tried to claim twice that I know of by putting signs and even a collection box in the wall. All have been removed by the Parish council which own's the land so maybe some one local could challenge these signs

Come to think of it the Green maybe owned my the council and thats why there are no signed. I know the overspill carpark is a field thats owned by the NT.

Croftland1
14-08-2012, 20:00
I too have just spent a weekend here on the Green at Wasdale Head......... Saturday night and there was at least half a dozen campers......... and there were a couple of tents camping on the Green too. What a shame they just dont put up No Fire and take your litter home signs (which are needed for the simpletons ) instead of no over night stopping etc.

My son and his fiancee were in the Autosleeper and their friends were in the two tents. You're right it's the village green and therefore available for anyone to park or stay on.

Be aware that through the summer months the area is mobbed with UK 3-peakers and you will be disturbed at all hours by vehicle movements and people who have no regard for other countryside users or the basic codes of conduct.

With regard to the litter, my son removed a plastic carrier bag dropped next to his van during the night, which contained human excrement.

I think I'll save my Wasdale visits for the depths of winter!

Jim

james1508
14-08-2012, 20:18
My son and his fiancee were in the Autosleeper and their friends were in the two tents. You're right it's the village green and therefore available for anyone to park or stay on.

Be aware that through the summer months the area is mobbed with UK 3-peakers and you will be disturbed at all hours by vehicle movements and people who have no regard for other countryside users or the basic codes of conduct.

With regard to the litter, my son removed a plastic carrier bag dropped next to his van during the night, which contained human excrement.

I think I'll save my Wasdale visits for the depths of winter!

Jim

I possibly was the van next to them ? i did see a empty can of stella and a bag but before i could move them a car had parked next too / or over it so I didnt want to be snooping around the vehicle trying to retrieve it :dnd: . If there was crap in it im glad i didnt anyway . What makes that worse is that there are now toilets right on the green .

James

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS