PDA

View Full Version : cats?

daisymini
09-08-2012, 09:24
Does anybody else take their cat with them when they are wilding? If so how do you manage and are the cats ok? Im just going to buy a cat carrier and a harness and lead and see how it goes!!

Doodles
09-08-2012, 09:30
Does anybody else take their cat with them when they are wilding? If so how do you manage and are the cats ok? Im just going to buy a cat carrier and a harness and lead and see how it goes!!

I didnt even know you could get a lead for a cat :) will be interesting to see one with one on ive seen ferrets and the likes but never a cat.

wilthebeast
09-08-2012, 09:36
We take ours on every trip and is quite content in her carrier when on the move

daisymini
09-08-2012, 09:39
We take ours on every trip and is quite content in her carrier when on the move

Do you keep it on the harness when youve stopped? Im just wondering if mine will wander off!!! Oh well only one way to find out!

Roadagent
09-08-2012, 09:46
;););)7258

daisymini
09-08-2012, 10:32
;););)7258

;):lol-049::lol-049: Could think of a few blokes i could use that on!! and if the cat doesnt behave on a harness that could be then next step!!lol

maingate
09-08-2012, 10:54
I hope you are not bringing a Cat to Druridge Bay !!!!!

My Whippets will go crazy if they see it (or even smell it). :scared:

On the subject of Ferrets on leads, one of the Stewards at the C & CC THS at North Berwick had 2 with him. Half the dogs on the site were unsettled by the strong smell of them. My lot were howling every time they got a whiff and we were downwind most of the time. :(

We left earlier than planned. :(

daisymini
09-08-2012, 11:30
I hope you are not bringing a Cat to Druridge Bay !!!!!

My Whippets will go crazy if they see it (or even smell it). :scared:

On the subject of Ferrets on leads, one of the Stewards at the C & CC THS at North Berwick had 2 with him. Half the dogs on the site were unsettled by the strong smell of them. My lot were howling every time they got a whiff and we were downwind most of the time. :(

We left earlier than planned. :(

She may not go any further than this experimental stage over the next few days..!! And I promise I wont bring her to Druridge Bay, your whippets will be fine...:wave:

maingate
09-08-2012, 11:38
She may not go any further than this experimental stage over the next few days..!! And I promise I wont bring her to Druridge Bay, your whippets will be fine...:wave:

Ooooh, what a relief. :rolleyes2:

Thanks for that, my poor old ticker has been racing all over the place. :sad:

I thought I would have to have you turned back at the County Durham border control. ;)

They are very quiet and friendly in every other respect. Most people are amazed how quiet they are.

Looking forward to seeing a photo of your cat (I promise not to let the dogs see it). :lol-049:

nij
09-08-2012, 12:26
We had a cat harness for one of ours who used to get stolen every time he went out - but he managed to escape within minutes = dont trust them

mariesnowgoose
09-08-2012, 15:18
A good friend of mine used to take her cat everywhere with her on public transport many years ago, always on a lead.

It was a Siamese cross. Didn't seem to mind it at all and was always well behaved, but it had been used to the harness since a kitten, which is the key.

It also depends on the character of the individual animal. Cats are peculiar creatures and they all react differently to different situations depending on their nature.

You can suck it and see regarding a harness, but if the animal doesn't really settle down after a reasonable period then I'd forget about it.

You don't want to be like those peculiar human creatures <...ducks for cover...> who drag their moggies (literally) all over the place to beauty competitions for felines, aka cat shows. :scared:
Took a look at a local cat show once. There were plenty of stressed out cats being subjected to all manner of things by their obsessed owners, treating the animals as fashion accessories.

Eurgh!

They are NOT DOGS.

christine
09-08-2012, 18:55
We met a couple on a CL who always brought their cat with them and it was allowed to go where it wanted. If they went out, they left the bathroom window of their caravan open with a mat hanging out of it - the cat used it as a ladder. We loved watching the cat going about it's every day business. Apparently it would spend hours sitting by the stream, maybe hoping for a fish to jump into it's mouth!

witzend
09-08-2012, 19:39

Cats seem to enjoy their Camping Car holidays as well as these photos, taken in France this year,show.

Rockerboots
09-08-2012, 19:57
We take our cat Yogi with us quite alot on wild camping trips & he loves it. If i open the van door when at home he`s in like a whippet & sits on the dash (his travelling spot ) waiting to go, you should see the look he gives when you tell him we`re not going anywhere. :lol-053:

When we do go away we put him on a feret lead as he is a small cat & the cat harnesses are too big for him, he has no objections to this as we trained him from a kitten. If we are near grass we have a coil type stake which we attatch an extendable lead to & he can walk around without escaping.

At night we set up a litter tray on the floor of the front cab & he kips normally on my feet. (brave cat) :lol-053::lol-053:

He was the star attraction at Huttoft car terrace last year & the cheeky little git knows how to play for affection. :lol-053::lol-053:

Polly
09-08-2012, 20:05
Hia

years and years ago we had a caravan and kids and a cat. The cat use to come with us everywhere and use to travel loose in the caravan.

On one C & C C DA meet at Chirk as usual we let the cat out on her piece of string to get to know the lay of the land. On the second day she was loose and would visit the BBQ's for food and the fuss other campers gave her and enjoy her freedom till bedtime.
at the end of our stay this particular time could we find the cat --- no ---- we had to spend the whole afternoon searching, so postponing our departure till she showed up in her own time late afternoon

as you may have gathered she still came with us after that but stayed on her string

kangooroo
09-08-2012, 20:47
I don't have cats but I've often traveled with a French Lop rabbit.

They're good travelers and happy to sit on the passenger seat (with harness) or in an indoor cage then go out for walks on a lead and harness. Some have been to wildcamping meets in the Forest of Dean and Stonehenge - and seemed to enjoy it. As per cats, they've been introduced to this and wearing a harness from a young age, and this helps greatly. Older buns re more likely to freak and panic.

iceman1956
09-08-2012, 22:05
A good friend of mine, has taken his 2 cats with him for years, they travel all over the county with him and the caravan. He just let's them roam now, they always come back and never roam too far from the van.
:goodluck: hope it works out for you. I have thought about this but I think mine is too set in her ways and hates traveling in the car, even though they are only short distances (trips to the Vets)

pink
09-08-2012, 22:30
7271 wow..i,d never considered taking my cat in the mh...but may rethink..he always jumps in it when he can, let us know how you get on...

daisymini
10-08-2012, 05:55
The cat tarvelled really well in a carrier to my mums which is about an hours ride. She has never been to my mums before so was concerened she would disppear, let her out and off she went, called a few times..no cat! but then half an hour later came sauntering in. Well thats the first stage..travelling and somewhere new... Ill keep you posted on the next stage...which will be tied to the van while on wilding trip in open area...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS