PDA

View Full Version : Touring North Yorkshire

famous4
30-08-2007, 17:30
Hi
we have just spent a week touring North Yorkshire combining site camping with wildy camping. I will list the wildy spots we used for your information, I know some of them are already listed but this will give a current account of them:)

1. Ribblehead....We stayed on the carpark of the "railway" pub. The landlord was very happy for us to stay and only asked we buy a drink in the bar. (nice little pub with quite good food)

2. Semmerwater (near Hawes)....We stayed on the carpark on the north side of the lake. No facilities. Beautiful views. Great place for a campfire. The farmer who owned the land required a fee of 5 for 24hr camping. Good fishing there too.

3. Saltburn-by-the sea....We stayed on the car park across the road from the beach. Toilets open from 8am-8pm. CCTV monitors carpark so safe. 24hr parking ticket available

4. Whitby....We stayed on the Endeavour harbour car park. Parking is free between 6pm and 8am. The next day we noticed that all of Whitbys long stay car parks allow 24hr parking.

During out tour we also came across a couple of places we will use in the future:

1. Aysgarth Falls Carpark.....The owner said that he was very happy for motorhomes to stay overnight as long as they came into the bar to ask his permission. He said he was thinking of installing a couple of electric hook up points in the future. Water and toilets already available.

2. Just outside Sleights on the A169 heading for pickering...two lovely situated overnight stops next to each other, spacious and set well back off road with stunning views. Be aware of steep hill if approaching from Sleights.

3 Hole of horcum carpark...again on the A169 large carpark set back off road but exposed with little shelter or privacy.

Hope some of this is useful information:)
The Bingham family

pappajohn
30-08-2007, 21:50
Hi
1. Aysgarth Falls Carpark.....The owner said that he was very happy for motorhomes to stay overnight as long as they came into the bar to ask his permission. He said he was thinking of installing a couple of electric hook up points in the future. Water and toilets already available.

The Bingham family

Hi, is that the pub carpark down the hill towards the falls or the carpark at the falls.:confused:

john

famous4
31-08-2007, 08:50
Hiya John

As you turn off the A684 to go down to the falls, there is a large car park almost immediately on your right. It overlooks the church. This is the car park we are talking about.
There is a car park at the bottom of the hill on the other side of the falls (I think this is a national parks carpark) there were signs on that saying no overnight camping allowed.

Hope this helps:)

The Bingham Family

PaulC
02-07-2008, 13:54
There is a recent photo of Aysgarth Falls.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu252/blackadderthe4/aysgarth.jpg

A steep walk no matter where you park because ther'e no parking nearby. But quite a nice cafe in the old mill by the bridge, but not so in the shop near by. Poor attitude!

mandrake
02-07-2008, 14:35
Hiya John

As you turn off the A684 to go down to the falls, there is a large car park almost immediately on your right. It overlooks the church. This is the car park we are talking about.
There is a car park at the bottom of the hill on the other side of the falls (I think this is a national parks carpark) there were signs on that saying no overnight camping allowed.

Hope this helps:)

The Bingham Family that is correct it is not the nat parks car park its the one at he side of the pub you dont mind buying a couple of pints and a meal when the landlord lets you stay over night

messenger 2.5td
02-07-2008, 18:21
Wasn't Aysgarth Falls used as a location for the last Robin Hood Prince of Thieves film,i think it was the fight scene between Robin and Llttle John,so i read in one of the sunday magazine articles.Best bit of the film rest was naff.

t&s
02-07-2008, 18:25
slightly off subject
i purchaced a piza from papajohns piza shop in southampton
no relation i supose

PaulC
03-07-2008, 09:56
Yes, Aysgarth Falls was in " Robin..."

smose
21-05-2012, 20:59
Just a note to say Hole of Horcum car park is now pay and display

ducky12
03-06-2014, 12:09
Aysgarth Falls cafe bar, the one down the hill overlooking the church charges 3 day parking and 5 overnight....( updated May 2014 )

Just a heads up you guys and gals

POI Admin
03-06-2014, 13:20
Aysgarth Falls cafe bar, the one down the hill overlooking the church charges 3 day parking and 5 overnight....( updated May 2014 )

Thanks for the info - I've added a note to the Wild Camp POIs :D

slider
26-08-2014, 22:37

Thanks for that are heading to that area beginning of october.

ian234
20-09-2014, 21:07
Thanks for that are heading to that area beginning of october.

Not the Show of Hands gig at St Andrews by any chance?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS