PDA

View Full Version : photo driving licence

mandrake
10-08-2012, 11:12
recieved a letter from dvla a couple of weeks ago telling me it was time to update my mug shot on my licence ,it seems as if after 10 years they need a new piccy and think its ok to charge 20 quid and 4qid for the photo ,kind of them.so did as i was bid and or risk a fat fine or surrender my licence .so the post office ushered me into th photo booth provided and it all went to dvla .just recieved my new licence back today ,the photo looks nothing like me realy ,the old one was better .infact i dont want to show it it makes me look like a 200 year old zombie ,no funny remarks please ha ha ha .so i have spent 24 quid to have a photo like a corpse on my licence

John H
10-08-2012, 11:17
Updating your photo licence is a definition of the phrase "rip-off". I had to renew mine earlier this year but because my passport was less than 5 years old I could use the photo in that - it was the SAME photo as on my driving licence. 20 for replacing a photo with the SAME photo!!!!! Aaargh! :mad1:

DTDog
10-08-2012, 11:23
Just had to do mine. I was paranoid about the licence coming back with the right catagories as I was then taking the motorhome with the motorbike on the back, down to Spain. I'd heard some bad stories about people getting their licences back to not have the other tests on like HGV or motorbike. I photocopied my old licence and even asked the Post Office woman to sign it that she had seen all the stuff on it.

As it was, it did so all was okay.

robert b
10-08-2012, 11:58
Its another way they thought they could use to screw the motorists

mandrake
10-08-2012, 12:06
shown my wife and daughter my licence and they think its so funny ,and are laughing there heads off .only good thing is if i get stopped by the law for some thing they may feel sorry for me and let me off when they see my licence.its so bad

Firefox
10-08-2012, 12:34
I still have the non photo type and intend to keep this as long as I can, as I don't have all the hassle and rip off to worry about.

Neckender
10-08-2012, 13:25
I've still got my paper licence too and will hang on to it as long as possible.

John.

grumpyengraver
10-08-2012, 14:56

John.

You must keep your paper licence as the photo type is not any good if you want to hire a car etc. I was told you don't need to apply for a "photo licence" unless you want one or move house!

The paper licence is the only licence that shows if you have any endoresments. police can tell because they can look it up on there computers.

John H
10-08-2012, 14:58
I still have the non photo type and intend to keep this as long as I can, as I don't have all the hassle and rip off to worry about.

Our problem is that we spend much of the year on the mainland of Europe and they demand a photo licence - so they've got us all ends up!

sagart
10-08-2012, 15:42
When I was in America a couple of years ago at our daughter's I didn't realise I needed to carry photo ID. at all times and Lesley forgot to tell us.
The result was that we left our passports at her house when touring Oregon & California with her & her husband in their Rv.
The first time I was asked for it, all I had to show was the Ferry/Rail/Train concession cards issued by the Scottish Government which carry our photos.
Even the police accepted this usually saying something along the lines of "You work for the Scottish Goverment? I'm Scottish too".....odd with a Chicago accent.
The only more powerful weapon in America and more influential than a UK. passport is to have a security pass to Redmond as senior Microsoft staff.....son1 has had proof of this.

jamesmarshall
10-08-2012, 19:05
I still have the paper license but can anyone tell me if it is valid for car hire in Spain?

Burtie
10-08-2012, 22:50
i had a fair few endorsments on my licence and was thinking about sending it off to have them
taken off i was told that you have to pay to get each one taken off but then i got a letter asking to send mine back to get the picture updated when my licence was returned they had took them all off without me paying to get them talen off but i wasnt happy with my picture they must of felt sorry i guess

kimbowbill
11-08-2012, 00:29
its be hopes i never go missing and they use my photo, geez i'd never be found, LOL :ninja:

baloothebear
11-08-2012, 05:14
Don't you have to inform the DVLA if you move house?
So "move" to a different address for a few months - just a thought but it might work

bigjimdsmith
11-08-2012, 07:14
Still use my paper license and have had no problems with car hire abroad or in the UK, despite it being in multiple pieces having failed along the folds. My objections to the new ones is not just the cost but the fact you still need a bit of paper with the plastic card to make it valid. Madness!:lol-053:

no1kaili
11-08-2012, 07:45
We've just moved, have had to give up our paper licences and it cost us 50 to boot - what a rip off :(

The photos are horrendous too and as our passports are due for renewal we thought we'd use the same ones so no smiling no hair covering face

I think they have to be like that so they can identify you when you're dead - it's the only thing I can think of besides photorecognition but when your a normally quite a smiley person these photos are pretty depressing.

Surely I'm not as old and haggard as I look in that photo?? :mad1:

Karen

mariesnowgoose
11-08-2012, 08:35

Lucky b**g*r!

:(

mariesnowgoose
11-08-2012, 08:36

John.

Another lucky b**g*r !!!

:(:(

mariesnowgoose
11-08-2012, 08:38
I still have the paper license but can anyone tell me if it is valid for car hire in Spain?

Yet another lucky b**g*r !

No, I won't tell you if it's valid in Spain !!!

:p

:lol-053:

mariesnowgoose
11-08-2012, 08:40
Still use my paper license and have had no problems with car hire abroad or in the UK, despite it being in multiple pieces having failed along the folds. My objections to the new ones is not just the cost but the fact you still need a bit of paper with the plastic card to make it valid. Madness!:lol-053:

<sigh>

It's just not fair!

Too many people in here still with original licenses.

:cry::(:cry:

John H
11-08-2012, 08:43

The answer to that is "yes and no"! Some car hire firms accept them and some don't. The law is confusing BUT the critical thing is not what the law is but what the Guardia (Spanish police) do - and they are quite likely to fine you on the spot for not having a photo-licence. So its up to you whether you want to take the chance!

mandrake
11-08-2012, 16:23
<sigh>

It's just not fair!

Too many people in here still with original licenses.

:cry::(:cry:

you know why ..........there as old as me and dont want to look 200 years old on there licence like i do VANITY he he e that he........my avatar looks better than my licence picy might use that in future

vwalan
11-08-2012, 17:05
some paper licences are european standard .think its the ones with pink on them .the old green writing on white i think arent euro .ones .

Le Foot
11-08-2012, 18:17
I've never ever had a photo licence !! Please tell me it's not compulsory??
:confused:

vwalan
11-08-2012, 18:26
if you havent changed address,s and not got any vocational licence then you should be ok .just check thaty it says european standard or something on your licence, with hgv or psv you have to get a new one at 45 and every 5 years after that. every year at 65.

smokey
12-08-2012, 18:46
Been lurking for quite a while, this is my first post, but only because I have useful information to impart.
When you reach the age of three score and ten, you will be required to change your old paper licence for the new photo one. The good news is, there is no charge for this.

Had to do this two years ago, also if you wan't to keep grandfather rights to drive some heavier vehicles, you may need to take a medical.

Still doing the occasional wild camp in VW T4 campervan

See DVLR site below

Renewing your driving licence at 70 plus : Directgov - Motoring (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS