PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful (Olympics Closing Ceremony)

Dezi
12-08-2012, 08:58
Hi, with two weeks of glorious sporting endeavour coming to an end we finally come to the closing ceremony.

Having been the first opening ceremony to introduce humour into the proceedings, we intend to go out the same way.

It has been revealed that not only will it be full of great british music from all spheres,we are going to bemuse jonny foreigner once again with our warped sense of humour.

Remember "The life of Brian"?

Remember the ending ?

Yep we are going to get the Eric Idle choir singing "always look on the bright side of life" while a group of nuns will be whizzing around the stage on roller skates

Surely even the most curmudgeonly critic of these games will raise a smile at the thought.

Dezi :pc:

John H
12-08-2012, 09:39
As long as they don't get Paul McCartney to sing from the top of a double-decker bus! :lol-053:

northernspirit2001
12-08-2012, 09:51
I hope that's true, Dezi, even my strange sense of humour can't top that! epic!

oldish hippy
12-08-2012, 10:30
could be worse it could be cliff richard singin summer holiday or both of them doing a duet OMG

Funky Farmer
12-08-2012, 10:41
could be worse it could be cliff richard singin summer holiday or both of them doing a duet OMG

I'm feeling faint at the very thought Just add Elton to the mix. :scared:

maingate
12-08-2012, 11:34
They are going to barbeque all the sheep used in the opening ceremony. :wacko:

John H
12-08-2012, 11:36

Mmmmmm! Pass the mint sauce.........:D

oldish hippy
12-08-2012, 12:13

mtm and bigpetete, daiboy, have kidnaped them to return them home as they where feeling lonely lol

John H
13-08-2012, 08:15
Well! That was a bit of a mixed bag, wasn't it? Low spots must include Russell Brand impersonating John Lennon and George Michael's tuneless warblings; high spots include Eric Idle looking mysitifed and being surrounded by Bangra dancers (although I do wonder whether the organisers were truly aware of the intended irony in "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" - as well as that in "Imagine"!). Forgetting arguments about cost etc for the moment, I found most of the Opening Cermony (apart from McCartney!) uplifting, humourous, enjoyable and inspiring; I found a great deal of this one embarrasssingly bad. The best performance was undoubtedly from Freddie Mercury - and he's dead! I felt sorry for the athletes who were "kettled" in the middle of the arena through it all. ;)

Bigpeetee
13-08-2012, 08:40
Generally I enjoyed it, but just as we celebrate our young athletes, why are we living in the past with our entertainers?? Nothing wrong with some reflections, but there's a great number of young performers that could have been showcased to the world.

Loved the Royal Ballet and Darcy Bussell flying into the arena (and this from an old Hippy) added to the spectacular finale.

But some of the old guys should call it a day, they were great in their time, but don't have the vocals now. Freddie, bless him, was shown as the showman he was.

All in all 9/10

Did the main artistes get paid for their performance or did they do it for the prestige?? Probably the former!!

robjk
13-08-2012, 08:51
It's slightly worrying that the dead performers are better than the one's who are alive !!

Polly
13-08-2012, 08:55
Hia

Just MY Personal View

I stayed up way passed my bedtime last night awaiting for the GOLD factor but to no avail
The majority of their voices did not carry was it the sound systems the mikes or lack of power in their voices

Posh Spice was not a happy bunny on top of her Taxi (sat on the edge of my seat waiting her to fall)

The SILVER factor came through with Always Look On the Bright Side of Life -------Roger May and the 2 original members of the Who

On the whole it was a real let down

where were the fireworks in the sky????

oh but the lighting effects around the stadium were OK

Just glad I did not pay to be there as I don't think there was a tremendous lot of atmosphere

and now I may be having a senior moment but I am going to ask

Why have they closed the Olympics when we still have the Para Olympics to go???????

Deleted user 21925
13-08-2012, 12:30
I too found some of it strange, although overall, I was glued to it and enjoyed it.

Everbody there looked really happy so you cannot really knock it too much.

ellisboy
13-08-2012, 12:49
Brilliant! Something for everyone,and defiantly British as other countries don't have the history, humour ,eccentricity ,musical diversity and imagination to pull something like that off :banana:

The fireworks were at the end! :sleep-040:

Lee
13-08-2012, 13:07
Brilliant! Something for everyone,and defiantly British as other countries don't have the history, humour ,eccentricity ,musical diversity and imagination to pull something like that off :banana:

I have to agree - I loved it. must admit that some of the oldies may need to think about retiring from large events but it was good to see One Direction (from X factor) representing youth.... As far as Posh Spice was concerned - the camera did not focus on her very much, perhaps she had had a prima donna moment beforehand.

Linda

marydot
13-08-2012, 14:59
Sorry, but we watched for an hour or more, waiting for it to 'get going' but it never really did for us. The older singers were unable to perform their numbers with any real musicality, used to love George Michael, but cringed at his performance, (was it really him?), and overall, we just didn't 'get it'. There was virtually nothing to do with sport, and some of the performances were just weird. Watched the final medal ceremony, then switched it off and went to bed eventually, feeling let down.

Marydot

rictac
13-08-2012, 15:54
Ah well, it is just as well we are not all the same.
From my perspective, the opening ceremony was a triumph (except P Mac) and set the tone for the whole, glorious, shooting match..until the awful closing ceremony, where we displayed to the world out of tune singing, poor old stagers unable to carry a song (just like P Mac) and Russell Brand for goodness' sake!

Unbelievably awful. Cringe.

northernspirit2001
14-08-2012, 02:18
The opening was amazing, the closing a bit embarrassing to be honest in my opinion.

I watched as much as i could bear but had it not been the closing ceremony of the most amazing olympics ever, i'd have swithed over after 5 minutes!

I didn't let it detract from the amazing encouragement those singular minded athletes have given us all....(except the one Team GB athlete having a fag on the balcony the morning after the party....does anyone know who that was?....and no one say George Michael, PLEEEEASE!)

Teutone
14-08-2012, 05:20
complete letdown in my oipinion.

singers with flat voices (aren't most of them flat if they haven't got some studio magician behind them??),
over and over and over played songs, an ex drug addict (with an history of undecend exposure) promoting his new single and FFS Russel Brand! Now that's a collection of role models.

What did that have to do with Olympia? If I want to go to an open air concert, I will do so and buy a ticket myself. But this was just a big rock concert from tax payers money? And people had to buy tickets as well.

epic fail IMHO

kimbowbill
14-08-2012, 06:46
Mods? where are you? i think this should be in the "Rant's raves and misbehaves" section

i thought it was a great production, well done to the volunteers who made the show

bopper
14-08-2012, 10:15
Brilliant!!!! that's my opinion.... brilliant it's all over with.

Sparks
14-08-2012, 13:13
Post deleted

Dezi
15-08-2012, 06:35
Hi, we had an extended weekend away which found us on Sunday evening parked up on devils dyke near Brighton. Monday night was spent at the park & ride motorhome area, Dover rd Canterbury. I was very impressed with the layout & facilities on offer. For 2.50, there is toilet dumping, tap, & toilets. The fee includes the shuttle bus in the centre of town. Once in Canterbury there are good bus connections to Whitstable,Herne,Ramsgate & Dover.

ON Tuesday it was Sissinghurst castle & Batemans, both N.T. properties.

Monday night we were the only GB motorhome on site the others were French, Italian, Spanish & German. All returning home after visiting the Olympics. One couple had only managed to get tickets for the closing ceremony.
There was unanimous agreement that these were the bestest games they had ever seen & all intend to revisit G.B.

Dezi :pc:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS