PDA

View Full Version : Updates for Mont St Michel

bigwood
14-08-2012, 17:47
:drive: We are all ready for our week in France, 8th of September. No fixed plans as this our first try with a campervan. We are thinking of wandering down the west coast, a bit of D-Day history for me and perhaps a bit of nice site seeing for management;). We have the latest Aires book and thought about Mont St Michel. Who has been the most recently and is it still posable to use the Motorhome car Park overnight as an Aire.:drive:

Bushtrekker
14-08-2012, 17:52
We were there a month ago and it's all changed. Don't go through the barrier onto the car park or it will cost you 25 Euros to get out again. You can probably get away with a night on the car park behind Pegasus Bridge and the car park at Utah beach is fantastic. It's worth getting the Normandy card as it saves a bit opn admissions. We had a fantastic night on the car park overlooking the Mulberry Harbour, but get off early or the attendant will charge you again.

Le Foot
14-08-2012, 18:11
Oh my dears!!. If you want to visit . Mont St. Michelle, do stay on the 'Aire' belonging to the caravan site in the village. It is across the road from the campsite, and was obviously once part of it, because the pitches are still set out in hedge lined bays....very well kept. What used to be the shower block is now locked up, but the outside sinks are still open for use..with hot water. Electric hook up and stay cost us 8.25 euros June 2010. Just a lovely stroll through the village to the causeway. :have fun:

Bushtrekker
14-08-2012, 18:21
The only people allowed through were paying users of the campsite you mentioned.

shortcircuit
14-08-2012, 18:37
My dear Le Foot you are way out of date. The aires you refer to has gone. The campsite belonging to the hotel is still there at €18 a night but you have to book ahead to get a pass as you have no chance of driving into the village. The car park is €12.5 to stop at and MH are miles away and if you stay overnight it is as stated €25 with zero facilities other than the toilets in the huge car park. A brand new aires has been constructed just up the road at Beauvoir with individual bays, hook ups and wifi at I think €12 per night although a long long walk back to Le Mont. There may now be a bus other than public bus.

There is another aires just past the equestrian centre at €8 with wifi but it was very quite when we were there. Free aires in the Carafoure car park at Pontorson and then public bus down to Le Mont.

Hope this helps but I certainly will not be back as its to expensive just to park and in two years I saw very little change in the project to move the sand by the water system.

Le Foot
14-08-2012, 18:54
Oh what a shame!!! Sorry folks for building up hopes...and this is all in 2 years!!. Don't know why I am so suprised!! As motorhomers increase, so will the commercial opportunities...and entrepeneurs will always exploit every opportunity..
:cry:

Croftland1
14-08-2012, 19:30
My dear Le Foot you are way out of date. The aires you refer to has gone. The campsite belonging to the hotel is still there at €18 a night but you have to book ahead to get a pass as you have no chance of driving into the village. The car park is €12.5 to stop at and MH are miles away and if you stay overnight it is as stated €25 with zero facilities other than the toilets in the huge car park. A brand new aires has been constructed just up the road at Beauvoir with individual bays, hook ups and wifi at I think €12 per night although a long long walk back to Le Mont. There may now be a bus other than public bus.

There is another aires just past the equestrian centre at €8 with wifi but it was very quite when we were there. Free aires in the Carafoure car park at Pontorson and then public bus down to Le Mont.

Hope this helps but I certainly will not be back as its to expensive just to park and in two years I saw very little change in the project to move the sand by the water system.

We stayed on the motorhome site / (aire?) on the opposite side of the road to the hotel campsite last October half term and it was 8 Euros incl EHU, payable at the hotel reception. When was it closed?

bodgeitnscarper
14-08-2012, 20:00
It is worth a trip to Longues sur Mer to see the 4 massive guns and surrounding bunkers. Then head out of the gates turning left and you come to a beautiful cliff top overlooking the mulberry harbours to your right. We stayed overnight there along with about a dozen other vans. the sunset was to die for. you can cycle for a few miles across the cliff tops and see some fine scenery.

shortcircuit
14-08-2012, 20:41
We stayed on the motorhome site / (aire?) on the opposite side of the road to the hotel campsite last October half term and it was 8 Euros incl EHU, payable at the hotel reception. When was it closed?

I cant say when it closed but its gone, fence away, barrier removed and rear area part of car park admin. The roadway in front of it is now a pedestrian way into town. The existing borne has gone and a new one in campsite. The area around the village is just a huge car park all of which is chargeable.

Bigwood. You have to take in the American cemetery at Omaha. Nice aires just before it although chargeable. We stayed at Grandcamp Mazie just along the road which is free with water at €2 or €3 and a nice place which also has a municipal camp site.

Bushtrekker
14-08-2012, 20:43
It is worth a trip to Longues sur Mer to see the 4 massive guns and surrounding bunkers. Then head out of the gates turning left and you come to a beautiful cliff top overlooking the mulberry harbours to your right. We stayed overnight there along with about a dozen other vans. the sunset was to die for. you can cycle for a few miles across the cliff tops and see some fine scenery.

The things in the background are mussel beds.

Le Foot
14-08-2012, 20:48

Oh, I'm pleased to hear this...maybe the others are looking in the wrong place!! The entrance to the campsite was on a road off the main road to the causeway, and the 'Aire' entrance was opposite it, with a barrier across the entrance, but a notice saying to go to hotel/campsite reception...is there still hope that it hasn't been closed??

shortcircuit
14-08-2012, 20:58
Please Le Foot do not give false hopes. I was there two months ago and I have not mistaken where the aires was. Having previously paid at the hotel it was €8 plus a few cents tax which appeared odd and I also got 44 mosquito bite at that aires . The aires has gone it is no longer there. If you recall the small chalets opposite the aires they are all shut and fenced off as well.

witzend
14-08-2012, 21:46
We stayed here (see photo) in March this year and paid 12 Euro for 24 hrs.

A bit of advice is to get to the village early as once the coaches get there it gets packed, even in March, we counted over 30 large coaches as we returned to our van. Can definitely recommend visiting in the evening as it is much nicer then, cooler, quieter and although most of the shops were closed by about 8 o’clock there were still plenty of restaurants open and a few people about so it didn’t feel deserted.

shortcircuit
14-08-2012, 22:00
If you can time it with sunset and the tide rushing in, its absolute magic and then le Mont in a star clustered sky, dreamland . We were lucky we were down in the old aires and had that experience which will still be there but you will not be close and get the same buzz.

Kiwi Colin
14-08-2012, 23:14
Hi,
I was there a couple of weeks ago, and I wont bother to go back - it's worse than disneyland!
The park for motorhomes is the furtherest from everything, including the pay machine.
The 12.50 euro fee takes you up till 2.00am - it's an extra 12.50 to stay after that. About half the vans that were there did stay - but I did hear one depart at some ungodly hour - most likely 1.59 am.
There are absolutely no facilities - not even rubbish bins in the park. Toilets are miles away.
I guess they have to get money from somewhere to pay for all the works in progress (hard to get a photo without scaffolding), but I think it is a rip-off.
I did notice several vans parked in a biscuit factory carpark only a block to the east when I left at 9.00 am.
cheers

bigwood
15-08-2012, 16:21
Many thanks for the information folks. Mont st Michel was realy an extention so management could have a break from being draged round milatary sites by an ex squady again. She keeps telling me didnt you have enough after 12 years. She did mention Versallies and a famous painters gardens near Paris. As long as it dont involve the Paris ring road I think that may be a better idea. I had thought about the Menin Gate on the last night. Were we spend the rest of the week will depend on how long I can go looking at milatary sites before she stops talking to me and puts me on a short lead . Deaf and dumb breakfast aint funy on holiday.:egg:

Bushtrekker
15-08-2012, 17:25
When we were walking up to the Mont there were two of these with a sign on saying 'Vehicle on test.', which was really p***ing off people who were walking up from the car park.

shortcircuit
15-08-2012, 18:34
I saw these carriages as well ie double decker being pulled by two lovely horses. I then thought of the carriage full of overweight people with the sun blistering down and these two horses gallantly hauling them around. I am afraid not what I would like to see but then I do not no the abilities of horses.

Techno100
15-08-2012, 19:52
Its just a tourist trap full of tat shops. The view is picturesque but I'd avoid it.
62 picture to share
Mont St Michel - Techno's Photos (http://techno.smugmug.com/Travel/Mont-St-Michel/17098210_n3RVFn#!i=1295540395&k=VCrvxk3)

Croftland1
16-08-2012, 20:07
I also got 44 mosquito bite at that aires .

Yes I suffered the mozzy bites too!!

anitak
21-08-2012, 17:33
We stayed there last month. The original aire has closed due to the all works going on and at the time of trying to find somewhere to stay ended up paying 52euros!! to stay at a Camp Site in Pontorson for two nights, about 4km away. Anyway on the bus going to M.S.M. we passed an aire (with motorhomes) on the left hand side about 1.5-2 km's from M.S.M. Don't know the charges, though. perhaps you could find it on google earth. Have fun! M.S.M. is a brilliant place - not to be missed!...

baloothebear
21-08-2012, 17:50
Many thanks for the information folks. Mont st Michel was realy an extention so management could have a break from being draged round milatary sites by an ex squady again. She keeps telling me didnt you have enough after 12 years. She did mention Versallies and a famous painters gardens near Paris. As long as it dont involve the Paris ring road I think that may be a better idea. I had thought about the Menin Gate on the last night. Were we spend the rest of the week will depend on how long I can go looking at milatary sites before she stops talking to me and puts me on a short lead . Deaf and dumb breakfast aint funy on holiday.:egg:

If you do decide to head for Ypres then this place may help CAMPING JEUGDSTADION (http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/index.php) It really is only 10 minutes walk from the Menim Gate. It's a good place for touring around the major battle fields as well

Kiwi Colin
24-08-2012, 10:27
:drive: We are all ready for our week in France, 8th of September. No fixed plans as this our first try with a campervan. We are thinking of wandering down the west coast, a bit of D-Day history for me and perhaps a bit of nice site seeing for management;). We have the latest Aires book and thought about Mont St Michel. Who has been the most recently and is it still posable to use the Motorhome car Park overnight as an Aire
.:drive:

I found the whole coast of Brittany good, provided the sun was shining. Lots of good aires, unfortunately a few car parks have height barriers.
Management may like the town of Sainte-Marine - park opposite the Office de Tourisme in the shade - market nearby on Wednesday mornings.
I also recommend Douarnenez- park near the Martime Museum - 48 05'29", 4 19'50".
Dont forget the Somme battle fields of WW1.
If in Ypres go to the Flanders Fields museum in the town square.
good luck

bigwood
27-08-2012, 09:22
Thanks for the information folks. We now have a plan that seems to please her. We are going to the Ypres site from the ferry on the Saterday. Thought we would try the site mentioned and use that as a start base for a couple of nights to find our way round the motorhome. Perhaps have a look round localy and be at the Menin Gate on the Sunday night. Monday head south for Monays Garden and then turn west towards the coast and do some milatary sites for me. There are a couple of sites around the Roen area on the Siene we like the look of. Mont st Michel has been relagated to a "not bottered" now . Of course if we dont get on with this motorcaravan game we could be going home early, I like driving and she likes museums and nice places to visit so what can go wrong.:rolleyes:

groyne
27-08-2012, 10:58
I like driving and she likes museums

If she likes Museums, try the one at Meaux Musée de la Grande Guerre du Pays de Meaux | Le Pays de Meaux a rendez-vous avec l'Histoire. (http://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/en) well worth a visit.

We arrived in the evening and stayed in the Carpark overnight. The local Constabulary drove by whilst we were having a late tea, we waved, they waved back, and drove off. Then we watched the Hares come out to play at dusk.

champstar
26-11-2012, 09:04
I can confirm that the aire talked about is closed. A new aire called Aire Camping Mont St Michel is huge with about 100 spaces all offering elec prob 16amp and free wifi.

It is located at N 48 35.606, W 001 30.756

It is a pleasant if long walk along the canal/river to the village where there are free bus transfers to the mont...but not if you have a dog...you have to walk.

As has been said before it is very much a tourist trap.

But the view of the mont is quite stunning.

wasfitonce
26-11-2012, 14:29
:drive: We are all ready for our week in France, 8th of September. No fixed plans as this our first try with a campervan. We are thinking of wandering down the west coast, a bit of D-Day history for me and perhaps a bit of nice site seeing for management;). We have the latest Aires book and thought about Mont St Michel. Who has been the most recently and is it still posable to use the Motorhome car Park overnight as an Aire.:drive:

DON'T stay in the main park it will cost you about 25e per day!!!! We stayed in October this year at Beauvoir (5K on the road to MSM) new MH aire at 12.50e pn with NO charge for electricity, water ,dump and free WiFi. . About 50 yards from the aire can jump on the FREE shuttle bus to the Mont, or its a flat walk. (For some reason you cannot cycle all the way at about 2K to the Mont you must leave your bike and walk or catch the bus)

Hope this helps.

wasfitonce

champstar
12-12-2012, 16:55
DON'T stay in the main park it will cost you about 25e per day!!!! We stayed in October this year at Beauvoir (5K on the road to MSM) new MH aire at 12.50e pn with NO charge for electricity, water ,dump and free WiFi. .

Thats the aire I was talking about.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS