PDA

View Full Version : Diet - help required from members

Admin
17-08-2012, 22:04
I am going to be going on a diet when I return from the August bank holiday meet.

I have done just about every diet:

Weight watchers
Slimmers World
Rosemary Conley
Cabbage soup
Paul Mckenna
Slim Fast
Calorie controlled
Atkins
Hospital /dietitian
Lighter Life
Weight lose counselling
etc

After 30 years I have learned a lot about the body and why I am over weight.

My main problems are that I eat too many calories in a meal then only eat once or twice a day.
Also I could do with doing more exercise, although this does not burn as many calories as most people believe.

I am currently about 24 stone 7 pounds and would like to get to 15 stone as a first goal.

My basal metabolic rate (BMR) is about 2800 calories per day, this is how many calories my body requires to function without moving.

I am going to follow the slimmers world red / green day program as I find it best suits my tastes. I am also going to try and eat six times a day, 3 meals and three snacks (fruit) as this also seems to produce the best weight loss.

I am also going to go to the gym 3 days per week and try and work up to 2 hours of cardiovascular exercise (cross trainer / bike) on each visit.

What I need is motivation to get me through the difficult times, so hopefully the members here will help me with this. I shall post my weekly weight loss in a thread on here and monthly photos to show the difference.

As I progress through the diet I intend on retraining myself to eat correctly and change to "food is mainly for fuel" rather than "food is mainly for pleasure".

Hopefully with all your help and support I can finally not be "the fat guy"

Phil

MORGANTHEMOON
17-08-2012, 22:14
I am going to be going on a diet when I return from the August bank holiday meet.

I have done just about every diet:

Weight watchers
Slimmers World
Rosemary Conley
Cabbage soup
Paul Mckenna
Slim Fast
Calorie controlled
Atkins
Hospital /dietitian
Lighter Life
Weight lose counselling
etc

After 30 years I have learned a lot about the body and why I am over weight.

My main problems are that I eat too many calories in a meal then only eat once or twice a day.
Also I could do with doing more exercise, although this does not burn as many calories as most people believe.

I am currently about 24 stone 7 pounds and would like to get to 15 stone as a first goal.

My basal metabolic rate (BMR) is about 2800 calories per day, this is how many calories my body requires to function without moving.

I am going to follow the slimmers world red / green day program as I find it best suits my tastes. I am also going to try and eat six times a day, 3 meals and three snacks (fruit) as this also seems to produce the best weight loss.

I am also going to go to the gym 3 days per week and try and work up to 2 hours of cardiovascular exercise (cross trainer / bike) on each visit.

What I need is motivation to get me through the difficult times, so hopefully the members here will help me with this. I shall post my weekly weight loss in a thread on here and monthly photos to show the difference.

As I progress through the diet I intend on retraining myself to eat correctly and change to "food is mainly for fuel" rather than "food is mainly for pleasure".

Hopefully with all your help and support I can finally not be "the fat guy"

Phil

I know how you feel phil lets face it we hate being fat but it's not easy to lose weight and then keep it off. But I'm trying to make the same effort.

Daiboy
17-08-2012, 22:14
Hi Phil

I did post something a few days ago about dieting. I been using the Cambridge for a while now. Very low carb, I've combined this with Atkins. I can eat 3-4 Cambridge meals (shakes, soups and bars a day) and then a real good Atkins binge at dinner time. I don't feel hungry at all after the first few days and enjoy the food. A few drinks don't seem to matter either. I can loose a stone in a month, I have been known to lose 10lbs in the first week. I only go a tone either way and am quite disciplined when cutting out the carbs. It really works for me maybe not for everyone.

Daiboy. See you at the Wales meet

Rubbertramp
17-08-2012, 22:18
Exercise, timing and cutting down on carbohydrates are the important things to remember. You should be able to eat whatever you like as long as the calories are burnt off before they (especially the carbs) create fatty tissues within the body ie. two to three hours after consumption. Your exercise regime should involve a great deal of breathlessness and much sweating (there'll be no shortage of suggestions from members of this forum eh?). One other thing.....When first started you may gain weight before you lose it as the fat turns to muscle (which is heavier).

Wind Dancer
17-08-2012, 22:20
Good on you Phil!
It's a big commitment but will be very rewarding.

You made a good choice in Slimming World (imo, and that of the researchers) and no need to go hungry. Just make sure you have planned ahead and have the right food available :)

You will be the inspiration of others on the forum too, perhaps you could start a WC slimming club on the forum :dance:

:goodluck:

sparrks
17-08-2012, 22:26
Sugar - The Evil white crystal might be your answer.

Read the men who made us fat.

Might/might not be applicable to you.

BBC News - What caused the obesity crisis in the West? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393391)

Paul

pink
17-08-2012, 22:26
Good luck Phil!!

Admin
17-08-2012, 22:27
Hi Phil

I did post something a few days ago about dieting. I been using the Cambridge for a while now. Very low carb, I've combined this with Atkins. I can eat 3-4 Cambridge meals (shakes, soups and bars a day) and then a real good Atkins binge at dinner time. I don't feel hungry at all after the first few days and enjoy the food. A few drinks don't seem to matter either. I can loose a stone in a month, I have been known to lose 10lbs in the first week. I only go a tone either way and am quite disciplined when cutting out the carbs. It really works for me maybe not for everyone.

Daiboy. See you at the Wales meet

I have done VLCDs and have lost 19 pounds in a week, the problem is that you have not lost 19 pounds of body fat. When you go into Ketosis the body very quickly depletes its glycogen reserves which can be several pounds and your hydration levels change. Once you come off the diet the body quickly recovers these. There are also other issues that I am sure you are aware of.

QFour
17-08-2012, 22:38

Eating and Drinking can damage your health :tongue:

It's a constant battle you enjoy a holiday and come back 4 kg heavier than when you went. Trying to loose the 4 kg then gets interrupted by a weekend wild camping in a pub car park where you just have to drink the place dry because you don't want to upset the landlord ..

rach82
17-08-2012, 22:50
Good luck Phil!

I too am having a time whereas I need to lose weight! I would ideally like to lose 2 stone.

I am yet to get properly into it - big changes needed!

Minisorella
17-08-2012, 23:13
http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/yaysmilesa-smiley.gif

Good for you Phil!

It sounds as though you've got the science bit down already! :lol-053:

Remember, some of the old clichés have become clichés for a reason... portion control, smaller plate and my particular favourite... eat less, move more!

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with type 2 early this year. She's since lost nearly 4 stone and her mantra is... don't think of it as being on a diet - it's changing the way you eat to change your life forever.

Wishing you every success and we hope to see a lot less of you in the future! :lol-053: :goodluck:

mariesnowgoose
17-08-2012, 23:29
This may be a bit drastic, and I guess not for everyone.

A friend used to be 24 stone a couple of years ago.

First he lost a stone by himself, which allowed the doc to book him in to get a gastric band fitted.

He's now down to about 14 stone and says it's the best he's felt for years, loads of energy, sleeping properly, etc etc.

He also says he would definitely recommend it to anyone who has struggled like he has with controlling their weight.

northernspirit2001
17-08-2012, 23:47
There's a good chance you will find my situation annoying but it's an issue for me, i've always been skinny despite diet and gym efforts, but at ive got older im now skinny with moobs, luv handles and belly. Stay off regular beer is my main belly observation and for the rest just what suits your metabolism, there is no set best policy. I lost my belly on Atkins 10 years ago but now its back this time Atkins isnt working, metabolism changes with age it seems. From a common sense view i think measuring calorie intake and upping calorie expenditure has got to be the only common point, as for my issue and increasing muscle mass i'm at a loss cos nothing works. I think we can limit and encourage our natural growth but to a large degree it's in the genes. Aim for improvement not for someone else's body morph I'd say to us both

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 00:03
Have you considered getting yourself sponsored as an incentive? You could get people to sponsor you per stone for a charity of your choice, over a period of say, 6 months. I'm sure there would be a lot of takers on this forum!

I did this once to give up smoking, I got sponsored for a month, so I had to do it. (Mind you, at the end of the month I ran down the shop for some fags!).

scampa
18-08-2012, 00:42
You probably already know all that you need to know about how to lose weight, and you sound to have had plenty of practical experience too. The trick is to find something that you can put into practice long-term, without feeling too deprived, and then keeping the motivation to stick with it (with only an occasional lapse!).

The Slimming World method (that suits you) is one of the best in my opinion, because you eat "normal" food without the need to ever feel hungry, and it's also quite healthy (especially when compared to some other methods).

Try to make it as easy for yourself as possible by being organised and planning in advance, for example by making batches of your favourite/regular meals to store in the freezer. That really helps when you come home late, hungry, feeling miserable or whatever and don't feel like cooking a meal from scratch.

As for keeping your motivation, there's plenty of ways to help with that. One of the best ways is to make it into some sort of challenge involving others. Either make a direct challenge/ competition with one or more like-minded friends, with a reward for whoever loses the most within a given timescale. (instead of total pounds lost, you could base it on the percentage of body-weight to allow for those who have varying amounts to lose).

An alternative challenge would be to choose a target weight-loss by a certain date. Pick a REALISTIC date to aim for your initial 15 stone target, then make a bet with someone that you can achieve it (you can usually find plenty of doubting or negative friends who will happily bet with you!). Or make a statement on here with a target and date, then agree a forfeit if you don't make it. The forfeit could be a donation to charity, an agreement to buy all the beers at the following meet, or something decided by the members on here!

( Make sure that the amount of money wagered, or the pain of the forfeit, is high enough to make you take it seriously and so maintain a genuine incentive to reach your target!).

Other ways to help with motivation could be:

Carry a photo of a "slim" you around with you as a reminder of why you're doing it.

Carry a photo of your family because you're doing it for them too!

Keep your mind focussed by reading slimming articles, success stories etc.

Actually join a Slimming World group and go to all the meetings.

Keep a regular log on here, so members can help with motivation, encouragement and ideas when needed.

Buy and use a good hypnotherapy DVD and or CD to bypass any willpower problems etc.

Or visit a GOOD hypno-therapist, tell them how you would like them to help (eg "I'd like to effortlessly stick to the Slimming World plan") and that should take all of the hard work out of it! BTW it's possible to be hypnotised into THINKING that you have a gastric band fitted, so you get all the benefits of feeling full etc, but without the hassle or serious risk that the actual operation can have!

And as Minisorella says, don't think of it as a "diet" or you'll automatically feel that you're being deprived or punished, and your "gut" instict will be to rebel and not stick with it. Instead, think of it as a healthier and better way of eating, then you feel happier about it, and justly proud of yourself!

YOU know you can do it, you just need to decide when to start! :):):)

Firefox
18-08-2012, 01:17
I would combine three principles.

Atkins and Calorie control and exercise

Atkins is not an excuse to binge, but it is a good long term eating regime if you do it sensibly. Cutting out carbs in term of sugar and flour is a good move.

Get your calories from meat, fish, eggs, cheese, and lots of vegetables. Have some fruits and occasional good slow release carbs like oats and couscous.

Eat whole foods and cook with whole foods. Processed ready meals contain untold sugar, salt, flour and other natsies. They are basically full of unknown crap.

Exercise burns very few calories but is important to build muscle and increase your metabolic rate which then burns off calories 24/7 whether you are exercising or sleeping regardless.

I was really fit and active with 6 pack and played loads of sport into my 40's. Unfortunately I got injured, dropped off the sport a bit, and after too much internet and beer = 3 stone overweight. Now getting back on track with above regime.

My two big problems are timing and alcohol. I often eat or drink late before I go to bed. Espec alcohol. I don't drink huge amounts normaly and am never drunk. But alcohol is pure carbs and a couple of beers before bedtime will quite likely get stored as fat.

scampa
18-08-2012, 02:30
I agree with Firefox about processed food being best avoided if you're trying to lose weight.

Manufacturers usually include loads of sugars and fats whenever they can to add to the flavour and texture, as well as to feed your cravings (so getting you "addicted" and wanting more of the same). They often manage to make them sound healthy too, for example by labelling them "Low Fat" but forgetting to also say "But High In Sugars" or vice-versa! Whenever I've cut out processed food for a while and replaced it with only fresh meat, fruit and veg, I've felt much healthier and more energetic. I've also felt full/satiated much quicker and usually lost weight at the same time!

I don't think I could stick to calorie-counting for any length of time nowadays though. I find it too restrictive, and too much like "dieting". I'd find a variety of food-combining, such as the Slimming World method, much easier to adopt.

As for alcohol, along with all the sugars and calories it contains (plus its' bad effect on a dieters willpower), apparently it also interferes with the bodies' ability to burn fat. So if you over-indulge one night, you may then go several days without burning any fat, despite your best efforts with dieting or exercise! :cheers:

kimbowbill
18-08-2012, 03:43
Exercise, timing and cutting down on carbohydrates are the important things to remember. You should be able to eat whatever you like as long as the calories are burnt off before they (especially the carbs) create fatty tissues within the body ie. two to three hours after consumption. Your exercise regime should involve a great deal of breathlessness and much sweating (there'll be no shortage of suggestions from members of this forum eh?). One other thing.....When first started you may gain weight before you lose it as the fat turns to muscle (which is heavier).

i'm sorry RT, but how can fat turn to muscle?, fat is fat and muscle is muscle ya daft sod, :wacko: i agree with the excersise tho, or get toothache puts you off eating :rabbit:

scampa
18-08-2012, 04:12
I think RT means that to start with, you might put on more weight in new muscle than you will lose in fat. But on the good side, muscle burns more calories than fat does, so it will help you to lose weight overall, and keep it off when you've lost it (so long as you keep exercising to maintain the muscle!).

I'm still not sure which weighs more though... a pound of muscle or a pound of fat?? :):)

kimbowbill
18-08-2012, 04:51
I think RT means that to start with, you might put on more weight in new muscle than you will lose in fat. But on the good side, muscle burns more calories than fat does, so it will help you to lose weight overall, and keep it off when you've lost it (so long as you keep exercising to maintain the muscle!).

I'm still not sure which weighs more though... a pound of muscle or a pound of fat?? :):)

pfft, don't you know that? its obviously muscle, so you guys keep saying :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 06:03
The Hairy Bikers have managed to lose a lot of weight and have brought out a diet cook-book, which gets good reviews.

ozzo
18-08-2012, 06:45
biggest help you can have is motivation - if you dont have it you will start binge eating and snacking. keep in mind thay although you will get dissapointed from time to time, in the long term it'll be worth it & you'll have the body of a babe magnet :dance::dance::dance:

good luck though - look forward to the updates

herbenny
18-08-2012, 07:07
Phil have you heard Abrahams take on 'dieting' ?? .....I am sure you have but if not I will pm you the link. :D

Tbear
18-08-2012, 07:13
Hi Phil,

Diets do not work long term but any of them will get you started.
Exercise does shed calories. The people that walk to the poles need 7000 - 8000 calories a day. They are not spending 20mins spinning in the gym but have had a drastic lifestyle change in that they are working hard constantly, every day!
You need to get off the computer and get out in the fresh air. Take up something that requires a bit of physical effort most days, cycle to work, walk the dog and you need to do this for the rest of your life.
You need except that for you the rich foods, pies, pasties and ready prepared cr@p are Poisonous!!! There is a very good chance that they will give you a Heart attack and you will Die.

The very best of luck and as you have posted it on here we will be watching you.

Richard

tiderus
18-08-2012, 07:29
Hi Phil, here'a a diet sheet that really works. I lost 3 1/2 stone last time I tried it. Need to go on it again now.

Like any diet you need to keep on it, like Jane Fonda.

This one has worked for all who stuck to it, now thats the real problem.

I extended the diet to nearly a week, which looses it even quicker,

and is better in my book as it keeps your stomach smaller.

This reduces the craveing to have more food.

As my Doctor says, eat less and you will loose weight, don't loose it, and your not sticking to the diet.

Quite a few friends have been on this one, with spectacular results, and it isn't that stringent.

One or two refer it as an every day food source.

All the best, as its all down to will power, and this on is quite pleasent, I did substitute a couple of items, Shhh.

Rgd's Graham.

G W. HEART INSTITUTE DIET
Must be followed to lose 10lb in 3 days.

1st day,
Breakfast. Black coffee or tea, half grapefruit, half slice of toast, 2
Teaspoons of Peanut butter.

Lunch. Half a cup of tuna, 1 slice of toast, tea or coffee.

Dinner. 2 slices of any type of cold meat (3oz.) 1cup of string beans,
1 cup of beetroot, and 1 small cup of vanilla ice cream.
2nd day,
Breakfast. 1 egg, half a banana, 1 slice of toast, tea or coffee.

Lunch. 1 cup of cottage cheese. 5, saltine crackers, (Tuc or Ritz).

Dinner 2 hot dogs, 1 cup of broccoli, half a cup of carrots, half a banana,
and half a cup of vanilla ice cream.
3rd day,
Breakfast. 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 1 small apple, tea or
Coffee.
Lunch. 1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice of toast.

Dinner. 1 cup of tuna, 1 cup of beetroot, 1 cup of cauliflower, half a
Honey-dew melon, half a cup of vanilla ice cream.

Do not substitute any of the above foods.
Please note, that tea or coffee must be black, no milk or sugar, or if you prefer water only. This diet works on chemical breakdown, and is proven.
Salt and pepper may be added, no other seasoning. This diet is to be used 3 days in any given week. You will loose 6-10 lbs after 3 days of dieting. You’ll lose 40lbs in a month if you keep to this diet. Eat sensibly, but don’t over do it. Toast to be dry, no butter or margarine. Tuna, String beans, and beetroot can be canned, or fresh. When eating sensibly on your non diet days, remember to avoid fat in foods. Eat fruit instead to fill up with. Always use sugar substitutes like canderel, and skimmed milk. This is the time when people fail in their dieting. You should see it as the start of an effort to slim. A normal diet takes 2 weeks before your body starts to use its fat reserves, and you drop 2 lbs a week afterwards. This is sustained dieting to be built on. If you do falter, remember to start again, your goal is just around the corner.

oldish hippy
18-08-2012, 07:38
as i have said before just cut out all dairy/lactose and you will struggle to maintain weight ,and it works, all dairy means the hiddden stuff in foods can be a pain for anyone starting it but soon get used it

bob72
18-08-2012, 08:39
Take a look at Paleo based diets. I read the book The paeleo solution and it massively helped me understand food and health better.

The diet itself may seem extreme, but I tried it in stages and now my whole eating habits have changed.
I no longer crave foods and it really does change the way you feel.

I don't follow the diet now, but I am now more informed and able to make decisions about what I eat and feel more in control. I'm still overweight but I feel better. And most importantly I know I can do it.

The other thing I picked up from his book was how important sleep is. Some of his tips seem odd (make
Sure there's no light at all when you sleep - tape over LEDs on anything that stays on) but it really works - a good sleep pattern does wonders for moral and health.

moonshadow
18-08-2012, 08:44
Looks like a good plan, go for it. We're routing for you!

Admin
18-08-2012, 09:59
I have thought about a sponsored diet, Tes thinks that raising money to have a well dug so that children can have clean drinking water is a good idea. I quite like this but they start at about $4500 up to $7000. We had considered making a website and doing a joint sponsored weight loss, however most of our friends / family overlap. I had also considered camping charities. I like the "give a man a fish / give a man a net" scenario and would rather that peoples money kept giving, then they will be happier with their donation.

If I did do this I would get people to sponsor me per pound with a 100 pound target (just over 7 stone) that way people could sponsor £5 / £10 etc though justgiving knowing that was all it would cost them.

Any suggestions for UK based charities where the money would make a real long term difference?

oldish hippy
18-08-2012, 10:08
well if you do it then i wil sponsor you a fiver in total sorry it not more as it for a good cause

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 10:14
National Trust? - Just brainstorming at the moment!

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 10:20
Phil, If you go ahead with sponsorship; Might I suggest sponsorship via PM rather than post on here as some people will feel awkward about pledging a little (FF and his Shekles).

Admin
18-08-2012, 10:21
National Trust? - Just brainstorming at the moment!

It's a good idea but compared to what they already get its but a drop.

I do like the idea that peoples money is going to save lives and continue to do so for along time.

Bushtrekker
18-08-2012, 10:22
No food for three months:D

kimbowbill
18-08-2012, 10:22
The Kimbowbill Motorhome trust , just a thought :idea:

Admin
18-08-2012, 10:31
The Kimbowbill Motorhome trust , just a thought :idea:

How does that help the thirsty? You have never made made me a coffee.... "It's called hospitality" :) :)

It's a Joke please don't hurt me, I am only ickle....

Admin
18-08-2012, 10:33
Phil, If you go ahead with sponsorship; Might I suggest sponsorship via PM rather than post on here as some people will feel awkward about pledging a little (FF and his Shekles).

I will do it through justgiving, that way I never get the money they take it and hold it for the charity. They can also get some extra off the Government if you are a tax payer!

kimbowbill
18-08-2012, 11:34
How does that help the thirsty? You have never made made me a coffee.... "It's called hospitality" :) :)

It's a Joke please don't hurt me, I am only ickle....

Well if you park next to my van and rev the engine for 1/2 hour, i will make you one, and i thought hospitality meant something you get from the NHS, you learn something new everyday :)

vindiboy
18-08-2012, 12:00
Bottom Line [ Pun ] Humans mouths are larger than their Bums, So more in less out.

Rubbertramp
18-08-2012, 12:00
i'm sorry RT, but how can fat turn to muscle?, fat is fat and muscle is muscle ya daft sod, :wacko: i agree with the excersise tho, or get toothache puts you off eating :rabbit:

Ok.....I was in a hurry to get it all down:p.....What it essentially boils down to is; exercise will produce more muscle and at a faster rate than fat dissipates throughout the body. As muscle is 20% heavier by volume than fat then this results in an initial weight gain. But as muscle is denser than fat this means it takes up less room and once the excess fat is burned away through vigourous daily exercise this will make for a more slimline Phil.

You can try all the diets you like but none of them will work in the long run without you raising your metabolism and that usually means exercise.

Deleted user 21925
18-08-2012, 12:02
Ok.....I was in a hurry to get it all down:p.....What it essentially boils down to is; exercise will produce more muscle and at a faster rate than fat dissipates throughout the body. As muscle is 20% heavier by volume than fat then this results in an initial weight gain. But as muscle is denser than fat this means it takes up less room and once the excess fat is burned away through vigourous daily exercise this will make for a more slimline Phil.

You can try all the diets you like but none of them will work in the long run without you raising your metabolism and that usually means exercise.

Can I have a Pie now? I promise to chomp vigourously.

Rubbertramp
18-08-2012, 12:08
Can I have a Pie now? I promise to chomp vigourously.

NO!......get off yer arse and take up a sport. I believe we Brits are good at all the sitting down ones.
Cask ales are good for a diet though due to their high yeast content......Prrp....oops ....Nurse?..... NURSE?

baldybloke
18-08-2012, 12:20
Good luck Phil, you must try to do this in a way that suits you, advise and support is great, but you know YOUR body best, lose weight for yourself and family if you feel that is what you want, but not for anybody else

bobowas007
18-08-2012, 14:53
I know how you feel phil lets face it we hate being fat but it's not easy to lose weight and then keep it off. But I'm trying to make the same effort.

Good luck mate it is very hard I have tryed and lost

bobowas007
18-08-2012, 14:56
Good luck.
It is hard.
I have tryed and lost.

kernowprickles
18-08-2012, 21:11
Good luck, Phil. For me it starts off well, but after a while I start getting fed up with thinking about what should and shouldn't go in my mouth. I've got a very sweet tooth, and even dream about the damn things!!

Maybe we could start a Wildcampers Weight Loss group, and report weekly about our progress?? Being accountable helps a bit, I think, but nothing is easy. As for the dreaded E-word, it's not always easy to get around to it, and these days always seems to be raining when you think about a nice healthy walk! I KNOW there's no such thing as bad weather for walking, only inappropiate clothing, but I can't get my head round going outside in a gale during a monsoon!!

Like the idea of the phantom gastric band, because a gastric band is one thing that does seem to work, but I don't fancy the surgery.

KP x x x

Mistlethrush
18-08-2012, 21:21
Good luck Phil!
I'm starting Atkins on Monday, so I'm happy to be a diet buddy when the going gets tough:tongue:

plum loco
18-08-2012, 22:09
Your not alone.I'm 24 stone something.It's causing me all sorts of problems,physical and mental.Im tired all the time no energy.Got my van and all the gear,can't bring myself to go anywhere.Not even fishing,last time i went i was harrased by three twenty somthings hurling fat aruses at me,was quite scary.

oldish hippy
18-08-2012, 22:16
Your not alone.I'm 24 stone something.It's causing me all sorts of problems,physical and mental.Im tired all the time no energy.Got my van and all the gear,can't bring myself to go anywhere.Not even fishing,last time i went i was harrased by three twenty somthings hurling fat aruses at me,was quite scary.

well just get yourself along to a meet there is bound to be something local to you sometime and you wil get none of that you will be made most welcome i have no doubt on that at all

kimbowbill
19-08-2012, 07:00

Hiya PL, as OH said, you would be made very welcome at our meets, no one is judgmental, its what's inside that counts, sure you've heard all that before, but its true, try to get out more and take no notice, i know that's hard to do , humans are very hurtful, the one's that hurled abuse at you will have gone on their way and hurled abuse at anyone, its not you, its them they are mindless idiots, and you shouldn't let the likes of them spoil your life, please think about joining us on one of our meets, you never know until you try one,

kimbowbill
19-08-2012, 07:03
Good luck, Phil. For me it starts off well, but after a while I start getting fed up with thinking about what should and shouldn't go in my mouth. I've got a very sweet tooth, and even dream about the damn things!!

Maybe we could start a Wildcampers Weight Loss group, and report weekly about our progress?? Being accountable helps a bit, I think, but nothing is easy. As for the dreaded E-word, it's not always easy to get around to it, and these days always seems to be raining when you think about a nice healthy walk! I KNOW there's no such thing as bad weather for walking, only inappropiate clothing, but I can't get my head round going outside in a gale during a monsoon!!

Like the idea of the phantom gastric band, because a gastric band is one thing that does seem to work, but I don't fancy the surgery.

KP x x x

Mary, my friend has had the GB fitted, she is loosing her hair and teeth, she is only 38, be happy with yourself, don't think about going down that route, is it really worth it?

MORGANTHEMOON
19-08-2012, 07:09
We could arrange a meet in a salad bar. lol
I find it difficult to diet when I go away in the camper and to sit in a pub drinking diet coke is painful.

oldish hippy
19-08-2012, 07:28
We could arrange a meet in a salad bar. lol
I find it difficult to diet when I go away in the camper and to sit in a pub drinking diet coke is painful.

i find it wierd drinking pints of soft drinks in a pub but have no choice

MORGANTHEMOON
19-08-2012, 07:39
i find it wierd drinking pints of soft drinks in a pub but have no choice

Sometimes we have no choice in life then we must accept it.

BambiOwner
19-08-2012, 11:52
I have a very good diet that I have had to use before I had surgery you can stay on it as long as you like, you do have food even a jacket spud with butter as well as up to 20 oz of steak it does work and it is very good i will see if I can find the sheet and send you a copy vie pm

baldybloke
19-08-2012, 12:01
The GB works for some, but is NONE reversible, is risky and can cause all manner of unintended side effects, not only that, it is not guaranteed you will lose weight, a friend of mine had the GB(after medical advice), lost weight before it, and now cannot eat "proper meals", even many salad and fruits are now off the menu unless mashed, and they had the op several years ago. and still no weight loss, was also told there should be a reduced need for insulin (diabetic), again wrong.

antiquesam
19-08-2012, 13:11

I took this advice and now exercise every morning before breakfast for 40 minutes and try and cycle every day, I have lost 2" from the waist, put 2" on the chest and have gained a stone, but who cares, I am now a bit more like the right shape. The only problem is I do the exercise in the van while away and worry about what people think when they see the van going up and down:dance:

mariesnowgoose
19-08-2012, 13:24
I took this advice and now exercise every morning before breakfast for 40 minutes and try and cycle every day, I have lost 2" from the waist, put 2" on the chest and have gained a stone, but who cares, I am now a bit more like the right shape. The only problem is I do the exercise in the van while away and worry about what people think when they see the van going up and down:dance:

I wouldn't worry. They'll be jealous thinking you've got a bit of hot stuff on board.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/hearty-laugh.gif (http://www.sherv.net/hearty.laugh-emoticon-1336.html)

antiquesam
19-08-2012, 15:39
I wouldn't worry. They'll be jealous thinking you've got a bit of hot stuff on board.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/hearty-laugh.gif (http://www.sherv.net/hearty.laugh-emoticon-1336.html)

You haven't met the wife then:o

mariesnowgoose
19-08-2012, 15:51
You haven't met the wife then:o

OOoops! :o

carregwen
19-08-2012, 16:03
Re the earlier post about sugar. I've cut out sugar from tea & adding it to cereals. Check the sugar content on other items (salad cream 20%+, similar Tomato Ketchup etc.) Pair of trousers bought 18 months ago now 3" too big. Read book by Australian journalist (Can't think of his name), title "Sweet Poison" He had the same problem. Best of luck.

Carregwen

lotty
19-08-2012, 19:34
Good luck Phil.
I have also tried various diets over the years, I've found whichever diet I follow I have lost weights my problem is once I loose weight it's sticking to healthy eating after!
The more faddish a diet the more likely you are to put the weight back on when you try to eat normal.
If the slimming world regime suits your lifestyle and is something you can keep on long term that's great, it didn't suit me. I found just trying to eat 3 healthy meals a day with low fat snacks inbetwean and no crap suits me best.
one little tip, allow yourself a treat once a week. Mine was a Saturday meal out or drinks with friends. The more you deprive yourself of everything the more you will crave.
Look forward to your posts and good luck
:)

Geraldine
19-08-2012, 21:01
Phil,Mandie and I are both back on the Dukan diet and this week I have lost half a stone.This diet works well for us.Good Luck and I hope you are well.Look forward to seeing you at the next meet down south here.
Cheers David

Ste
20-08-2012, 00:18
Hey Phil! Good Luck!!

Best exercise you will ever do is to WALK often!! And to buy yourself a hiking stick. (makes it easier while still burning those calories)

Speaking from experience. If you plan to exercise in the morning, DO NOT stop the carbs. Although Carbs can turn to fat, if you're active they are your best energy source.
Years ago, (before injury stopped me), I'd have a bowl of just pasta the night before a race so that the carbs release themselves as energy at the right time.
However. More recently, my dad has been diagnosed with diabetes. So its no sugar/carbs etc... but he cut back so much he didn't have the energy or 'get up & go' that he required to continue a normal life. Now, although he rarely has bread, pies or chips/spuds, he's eating plenty of pasta or brown rice and is much much better. He's also down from 18st to 16st.

And a tiny little tip that I've used myself. No matter how hungry you are, always leave a little something on the plate. Eg. Sandwich crust or a couple of chips etc... It takes a while, but by doing so, you start to train your body telling your body that you are full and can't eat anything else.

Also think Mr. Creosote and that final mint!!!

fofeg101
20-08-2012, 03:59
I'm 6'4" and weigh 16st, so I'm not exactly morbidly obese but I'd rather weigh 14st. Here's the problem, consume 2 calories and burn off 1 calorie = 1 calorie stored, usually as fat. My solution, when I do feel out of shape, is to get a copy of Rosemary Conley's "Hip & Thigh Diet" book, the original one is best, then set up an indoor circuit training routine and go through it at least three half hour sessions per week, preferably a half hour each day, and obviously in between times walk when ever possible rather than use the car, etc.. There's lots of stuff on the net about indoor circuit training but your Local NHS usually have indoor circuit training sessions which cost around £3/session and give you insight into what you need to set up at home, minimal equipment needed...no expensive machinery. Basically the object of the exercise, excuse the pun, is to raise your heart rate up to it's training rate and hold it there for 30 minutes. If you take up cycling, walking, jogging, swimming chances are you'll never stick to a routine, especially when the weather turns foul, with indoor circuit training there's no excuse, you don't have to leave home, although, it may not fit in with a Wildcamping lifestyle. That's my two cents worth.

Target Heart Rate Calculator (http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm)

Tbear
20-08-2012, 08:06
Hi Phil,

I think a fair summary of most of the above is that a diet will shift a few pounds, does not matter which one but if you want to be fitter, slimmer and live a healthier longer life you need to change your life style.

The diets mainly involve less pure calories foods such as fats and sugars. More protein, vitamin and mineral rich foods.

The best way to change your lifestyle is up to you but it should involve exercise which you have to do. Walking and cycling seem to be the easiest to incorporate into your new lifestyle

Richard

fofeg101
20-08-2012, 18:14
Unfortunately I missed out one important factor in my post above the fact that eating food can be an addiction, those hunger pains are similar to Nicotine withdrawal pains, so the psychological aspect has to be addressed too, probably first.

Martin P
21-08-2012, 20:38
Good luck with the diet Phil, Im still struggling to decide whether i want to be thin and miserable or fat and happy

Martin P
21-08-2012, 20:45
Sorry Phil , realise thats not v encouraging, hope its going ok
Mart

Firefox
21-08-2012, 21:17
I think you can get used to eating less quite quickly. The first couple of days are hardest.

But the cravings for some foods are more than psychological. The body does need certain things like salt in small quantities. If you don't get enough of something in a diet you will get physical cravings for certain things.

max
21-08-2012, 21:20
Phil,

Good for you:D

I'm doing the slimming world too, I think its the best one to do. It is more a healthy eating plan which once you get "in the zone" to do it can be maintained for life. These faddy diets of liquids and potions just don't work, dramatic weight loss just piles on again. I've seen a friend shrink on one of these and sadly now she is even bigger than before she started.

Just plan ahead as much as possible, make up meals in batches to freeze. Have some free food snacks to fall back on when you get the munchies. Try to only buy and stock up the right foods to avoid temptation. If you eat out, try and research ahead and plan what you can have. Keep looking for new recipes on line to give yourself variety.

By all means aim towards what you want to ultimately weigh, but I would suggest breaking this down into smaller acheivable goals along the way, you are not going to get that amount of weight of in a short period of time.

I've also been enjoying watching the hairy bikers new series on BBC2 on a Thursday night as they are also dieting and are coming up with some great healthy recipes that you can fit in with S/W.

With the excercise you need to build that up gradually and try to walk as much as possible, look to see in your day to day routines where you can build in some extra walking time, or leave the car at home if you can walk to the shop etc.

If you let me know what sort of food you like, I can see if I can help with some meal and snack ideas.

GO FOR IT and :goodluck:.

Jojo
21-08-2012, 22:51
Hi Phil - well done for having a go, and in public! I admire your openness. I also need to lose weight but having done the beginning bit for about 6 months, where most of the difference happens, I've arrived at the end phase where there's still some distance to go, most of me needs toning up, and the pace of change has slowed to a crawl. I'll get there eventually.

My understanding of the psychology of weight loss is that it's similar to other major personal changes like giving up smoking or becoming more confident. For it to work, somehow you have to decide that you are a different kind of person e.g. a non-smoker, a confident person... or in your case, a slim and fit person. This makes how you are now 'wrong', which gives you the impetus to move towards your 'real self'. If you continue to think you are really, truly, a large person, at a very basic level (that you can't control) you'll believe that slimming is stupid and wrong... and you won't become slim (or it won't be easy, or it won't last). You have to change your mind to think of yourself as a slim person who is leaving behind something that went wrong and getting back to your real slim self. Similarly, someone who continues to believe they're truly a smoker will find it almost impossible to stop smoking because stopping will always feel wrong. You fight yourself or resent not smoking (or not eating as much) because it feels like a punishment.

People get hypnotised or CBT (therapy) to enable them to change their minds and 'think thin' (then they eat less, and eat right, like a thin person). I expect it's something you can do for yourself but it helps to have support. A friend of mine featured on the cover of slimming magazines last year when she "lost a supermodel" (reduced 8 stone from 22) in 6 months, then continued to lose weight down to her target of 9st (she's shortish). She reckons the thing that made the difference was talking every week in a CBT group and changing her view of herself, taking charge of her life and deciding how she wants things to be, who she wants to be. She's the same lovely woman she always was but is now the size she feels right as - she's SO happy!

I've never met you so I will think of you as sylph-like and willowy. Let's see if that helps ; )

And by all means, post a sponsorship thing (I'll support you) but if it feels like a challenge or a bribe to lose the weight it will play into the idea of fighting who you are and probably won't help. The most important view of you is your own - good luck!

Big bed camper
22-08-2012, 00:19
for what it's worth.
As one poster has already said, get away from the idea of a "diet" the word iself infers a negative, ie that one day you will come off the diet. Instead make it a permanent lifestyle change to eat healthily....for ever.
Again as others have said, cut out processed foods, also try to cut out bread,and potato ( sweet potatos are better) it will only bloat you with no benfit.

To prove a point. I was nearly 21 stone just before Christmas 2012. I took asthma control drugs, I got out of breath going upstairs in the house, I had no energy. I had very bad hayfever every year ( had that since ever).

Today I weigh 17 stone 3 lbs, I row (on an indoor rower) on average 5 kilometres per day, somedays 20k or more at a pace that makes me sweat and breath hard. I stopped taking asthma drugs shortly after giving up bread ( go figure) and have not needed to use them since. I have not had a slightets twinge of hayfever this year, this from someone who could be off work with it in previous years.
I firmly believe the change to healthier eating has made this difference.
Oh and...no fizzy soft drinks other than soda water with a bit of cordial in it, awoid as much wheat and ceral based products as possible, very little red meat (usualy have it as treat every now and then and appreciate it more as such).
I stumbled acros the "South beach diet" ( yes I know but the book title has the word diet in it) and followed that for quite some time, found it easy and things in it quickly became habit forming, I eat loads of salads now with plenty of broccoli and dark green veggies.
Sorry to go on, but it works for me.

fofeg101
23-08-2012, 07:24
If you give up smoking, drinking and eating the food you like, you may not live any longer but it will sure feel a lot longer.:lol-053:

plum loco
10-10-2012, 15:20
How is your diet going,have you lost any waight.I got on the scales this morning,my scales go to 23 st they went all the way round and then some ,2 and halve stone over so i am about 25 and halve stone. My physical and mental health is'nt good,bad knees,bad back,can't walk very far or do the things i like,i am always tired.I struggle getting in and out of my van,so don't feel like going anywhere.Decided to try the atkins diet or something like a low carb diet. It's my own fault i know but at 54 i am thinking,do something now or its gonna be to late.

alanval
10-10-2012, 16:06
I started the Dr dukan diet 2 months ago now lost 2 st ..I actually did a wee bit of juggling with it . I have cut out the carb`s from my diet..I got the Dr Dukan book and recipe book from E-bay Its a french man who wrote it ..It`s working for me..

Dukan Diet Official Site: Weight Loss Experts - Know How To Lose Weight (http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/)

http://www.mydukandietshop.co.uk/400-dukan-books?gclid=CJrl1bTq9rIC

MORGANTHEMOON
10-10-2012, 17:09
I started the Dr dukan diet 2 months ago now lost 2 st ..I actually did a wee bit of juggling with it . I have cut out the carb`s from my diet..I got the Dr Dukan book and recipe book from E-bay Its a french man who wrote it ..It`s working for me..

Dukan Diet Official Site: Weight Loss Experts - Know How To Lose Weight (http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/)

All about the Dukan Diet: Dr. Dukan's books (http://www.mydukandietshop.co.uk/400-dukan-books?gclid=CJrl1bTq9rIC)

Yes I have the book and I'm tempted to give it a try.

Alejandro8100
10-10-2012, 18:17
According to recent research,water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight.I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 times cup of tea in a day.And now i feel much difference in my weight.

Geraldine
10-10-2012, 18:42
How is your diet going,have you lost any waight.I got on the scales this morning,my scales go to 23 st they went all the way round and then some ,2 and halve stone over so i am about 25 and halve stone. My physical and mental health is'nt good,bad knees,bad back,can't walk very far or do the things i like,i am always tired.I struggle getting in and out of my van,so don't feel like going anywhere.Decided to try the atkins diet or something like a low carb diet. It's my own fault i know but at 54 i am thinking,do something now or its gonna be to late.

Forget the Atkins diet do the Dukan you can pick the book up for under £2 in charity shops now! It works and you will soon be skipping to the van to go on your wildcamping trips.You are young man!!!!

sasquatch
10-10-2012, 21:24
GO to the nhs lifestyle course and combine with the Hairy Bikers diet

Brochloon
11-10-2012, 06:53
Good luck Phil - I lost 30lbs by cutting out carbs, walking, & cutting down on the beer (14 weeks) - tried the cabbage soup diet - worked well but nobody would sit in the MH with me ?

mariesnowgoose
11-10-2012, 08:34
GO to the nhs lifestyle course and combine with the Hairy Bikers diet

You're joking, surely? If I ate just a fraction of the scrummy meals they serve up I'd be even fatter than I already am lol :)

katv
11-10-2012, 10:24
If you have a smartphone have a look at myfitnesspal it is a free app for Android & Apple you can also access via a web site. It is an on line food diary to track things, but it also use it to set your weight loss goal and it will calculate your daily calorie requirement. When you start to loose the weight it is such a good feeling.

Geraldine
17-10-2012, 22:48
Hi Phil, Hows the diet going? I am still struggling with the dukan Diet (miss my beer)but hey the pounds are still coming off! And you?

Firefox
18-10-2012, 00:46
Dukan is basically Atkins minus fats and oils + a bit of Oat bran.

Unfortunately alcohol doesn't feature much on either!

You can summarise them all

By

1. Eat vegetables (Minus potatoes, rice etc)

2. Eat meat and fish specifically leaner types

3. Eat a little of different types of fruit

4. No flour, no sugar, no processed foods, no gunk, no alcohol

5. Drink Water/Tea/Coffee

6. Exercise. Walk fast. Take the stairs.

Eating nothing processed has made quite a difference to feeling healthy for me. It's difficult though to cut out biscuits, crisps, bread, flour, sugar etc. They are everywhere. Our environment basically encourages us to eat crap.

kernowprickles
18-10-2012, 13:37

We're in exactly the same place, know just what you mean about not feeling like going anywhere! I decided to try the Slimming World diet online, as I just can't face going to class every week, and it can interfere with motorhoming!! It's a lot easier than it used to be as they have something called Extra Easy, where you can eat meat/fish AND potatoes without either being syns. Our meals weren't that unhealthy, it was what we ate INBETWEEN them that was causing the weight gain.

We started on Monday, so I don't know how it will go, but anything is better than feeling so sh*tty as we have been feeling. We would like to go to France next year if we can get insurance, so hopefully we will persevere so we can enjoy it more. The E word is the bugbear, as neither of us can walk very well at the moment. I have just read that the worst thing any of us can do is SIT too long at a time, and if we get up and move every hour, that will do us more good than 30 minutes jogging. Not necessarily as far as losing weight goes, but as far as health goes, and our bodies working more efficiently. ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OLYMZW/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title )

I wish you the best of luck, plum loco, it isn't easy, but even losing 10% of your body weight can make a real improvement in life! (I just wish I could convince myself that a Mars Bar would NOT be an even better improvement!!)

Phil is being very quiet on this forum.......hope things are going ok for him??

KP x x

Firefox
18-10-2012, 14:03
Well done. Not sure about the biscuits though! They look yummy but still contain lots of sugar, flour, and butter no doubt. Still once or twice a week won't harm. All diets allow the odd treat :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS