PDA

View Full Version : Post your bodgeits here

oldish hippy
19-08-2012, 16:46
well tackled some of the rust today thought i had white spray no i didnt so what did i have radaitor paint well it was white

MORGANTHEMOON
19-08-2012, 16:50
well tackled some of the rust today thought i had white spray no i didnt so what did i have radaitor paint well it was white

That will do then hippy should be warmer too.

Funky Farmer
19-08-2012, 17:19
BODGE IT?:scared: Is there any other way? :D

Rubbertramp
19-08-2012, 17:28
Bungee cords hooked onto net curtain hooks across the cupboard doors to stop them flying open when cornering on two wheels.

Rubbertramp
19-08-2012, 17:32
One and a quarter inch overflow pipe protruding from the roof gutter/plastic coping to divert running water from the habitation windows.......doubles up as a rainwater collection system.

antiquesam
19-08-2012, 17:38
My repair kit is s:hammer:tring, gaffer tape and a hammer, if this doesn't fix it it's permanently broke

Bigpeetee
19-08-2012, 17:47
My repair kit is s:hammer:tring, gaffer tape and a hammer, if this doesn't fix it it's permanently broke

Despite the Avator, you're not from the farming community, bailing twine, it's much stronger than string and you can see it easier. Then if it can't be fixed it's broke.

I've seen concrete poured into the old type Mini doors to fix the rust holes, the doors closed just like a Rollers!! Till the hinges dropped.

In the old days, the floor pan could be fixed with bake bean tins and filler, baked bean tin and two Jubilee clips fixed exhaust

antiquesam
19-08-2012, 17:53
the avatar is a family portrait.

chass
19-08-2012, 17:55
Don't do bodge it:hammer: temporary repair maybe, if a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly as my dad used to say:idea-007:

Bigpeetee
19-08-2012, 18:06
the avatar is a family portrait.

Wife & Mother in Law??

Deleted user 21925
19-08-2012, 18:23
Despite the Avator, you're not from the farming community, bailing twine, it's much stronger than string and you can see it easier. Then if it can't be fixed it's broke.

I've seen concrete poured into the old type Mini doors to fix the rust holes, the doors closed just like a Rollers!! Till the hinges dropped.

In the old days, the floor pan could be fixed with bake bean tins and filler, baked bean tin and two Jubilee clips fixed exhaust

I'm sure I must have bought a car from you once!

ellisboy
19-08-2012, 20:53
I can't believe that there's so many bodgers on here ! :hammer: :nicethread:

oldish hippy
19-08-2012, 20:57
well it not so much a bodge it as make do and mend,well it was sunday and nothing was open so couldnt get white spray to match but did have raditor paint and it says on tin prevents rust and heat proof so shpould be ok when it get warm in the sun

ps thanks to mrs bodgeit who gave me the idea for this thread she know who she is

mariesnowgoose
19-08-2012, 21:04
Used a zip tie and a lump of wood when the accelerator went through the floor in our old merc 811d.

Worked great and lasted for ages. :)

Ste
19-08-2012, 21:25
Curtain right next to where I sleep has been broken for months. I just keep hanging a black towel in its place!!

herbenny
19-08-2012, 21:35
I love a good bodge it job :giggle::hammer:...the toilet seat in my house keeps coming undone and loose... every time I sit down its like I am on the waltzers:rolleyes2:

n brown
19-08-2012, 21:41
on my old bedford,the front brake shoe would rub against the inside of the drum,become case hardened,and cut through completely,and the outer part of the drum falls off,found out this was common.anyway,in the mountains,cut the brake pipe,fold over twice and flatten with a hammer,drove home 700miles with three brakes,hardly noticed the difference

oldish hippy
19-08-2012, 21:49
I love a good bodge it job :giggle::hammer:...the toilet seat in my house keeps coming undone and loose... every time I sit down its like I am on the waltzers:rolleyes2:

put some super glue on the threads when you tighten it it wont come undone then

Daiboy
19-08-2012, 21:55

Why do you want to put the seat down? It's very inconvenient.

n brown
19-08-2012, 21:57
as my old man used to say' if a job's worth doing well,
you can't afford it.bodge it for now'
made that up
but some bodges have outlived the bodged vehicle

n brown
19-08-2012, 22:04

there's something about the feel of cold wet porcelain on a crisp frosty morning thats quite exhilarating! takes you from half asleep to fully alert in a flash,as it were

herbenny
20-08-2012, 06:48
[QUOTE=Daiboy;228103]Why do you want to put the seat down? It's very inconvenient.[/QUOTE

The three men in my house tell me that all the time :rolleyes: ..........

baldybloke
20-08-2012, 10:55
silly question, when does a temporary repair become a bodge?, or are they seperate things?

oldish hippy
20-08-2012, 11:03
temp repair is a bodge when you dont have the right stuff to fix it properly so you make do and mend til you get right stuff

my bodge7552

herbenny
20-08-2012, 11:08
temp repair is a bodge when you dont have the right stuff to fix it properly so you make do and mend til you get right stuff

my bodge7552

Thats a very good bodge it OH :hammer:...in my expert opinion trust me I am the queen on bodgeits :king:

Funky Farmer
20-08-2012, 11:09

my bodge7552

Nice one Looks like Arctic cammo from here :D
Did I tell you about the time ... OK I won't bother :rolleyes:

Funky Farmer
20-08-2012, 11:12
there's something about the feel of cold wet porcelain on a crisp frosty morning thats quite exhilarating! takes you from half asleep to fully alert in a flash,as it were
Not half as quickly as nettles do! We don't all live in towns you know :D

baldybloke
20-08-2012, 11:17
AAh, so if I carry out a bodge, wait till I get sufficient ear ache, then do it properly its a temporary repair..... and nettles do work as an instant wake-up!

mandrake
20-08-2012, 11:24
just one of my many bodge jobs ,and belive me there has been many succesfull bodges over the years ,and many years.was on holiday in cornwall in a viva hb .dynamo mounting lugs broke breakdown guy said got to be a new dynamo REALYWHO SAYS,so a couple of jubilee clips a long bolt and the dynamo remounted to the engine block .lasted a couple of years untill the car went to the big motorway in the sky .realy it wasent a bodge but a re desighn of a lucas dynamo ,much better than orig .propper bodgers are skilled at repairing the unrepairable ,like me i did my bodge apprentice ship under the close watch of both my farther and uncle ,both exelent and highly skilled at there trade. they made caravans in the back garden and boats out of old wardrobes one unbeleivable bodge my dad pulled of was to tow an old caravan without a tow bar fitted to his old humber super snipe he had was to drill the rear bumper and bolt a tow ball to it no electics well the lights probably dident work on the caravan so no need for it

Bigpeetee
20-08-2012, 12:51
just one of my many bodge jobs ,and belive me there has been many succesfull bodges over the years ,and many years.was on holiday in cornwall in a viva hb .dynamo mounting lugs broke breakdown guy said got to be a new dynamo REALYWHO SAYS,so a couple of jubilee clips a long bolt and the dynamo remounted to the engine block .lasted a couple of years untill the car went to the big motorway in the sky .realy it wasent a bodge but a re desighn of a lucas dynamo ,much better than orig .propper bodgers are skilled at repairing the unrepairable ,like me i did my bodge apprentice ship under the close watch of both my farther and uncle ,both exelent and highly skilled at there trade. they made caravans in the back garden and boats out of old wardrobes one unbeleivable bodge my dad pulled of was to tow an old caravan without a tow bar fitted to his old humber super snipe he had was to drill the rear bumper and bolt a tow ball to it no electics well the lights probably dident work on the caravan so no need for it

These don't count as bodge's, it's the use of available resources. Travel to India and the Far East, that's the land of using resources to the best.

I travelled in a 55 year old Morris in India, it rattled a bit and had various "ventilation" orifices, but it was still doing sterling work as a taxi.

There's a lot of work out there rebuilding them.

On the other hand, I've seen bodges that make my skin creep:

1. Using duct tape to repair a light aircraft wing after the fabric surface was destroyed in a hangar accident, but he still wanted to fly, so patched it up with low quality duct tape, it came off in flight and as it was on a control surface, he was very lucky to get back alive.

2. Making their own cable that is under tension in an aircraft wing, using the wrong parts and tightening the sleeve just after an eye with a vice. They couldn't understand why I grounded it.

3. In a Flexwing Microlight, the wing is attached to the fuselage using a high tensile M12 bolt, commonly known as "The Jesus Bolt" I've seen it replaced with an M10 piece of threaded bar..............

4. Anchor chains attached to anchor using jubilee clips, why did it break???

5. Putting heat shrink on a rusted mast stay, "To stop it catching"??

6. Using a piece of knotty pine as a tiller of a 29 ft yacht, "Didn't think it would break"

7. Fixing a brake pipe using jubilee clips and gas hose

The list goes on.

Some bodges can get you out of a situation and get you home safely or to a place of safety. Others are less critical, but you need the necessary skill to determine what is what

Still recon a nail makes a great fuse replacement!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:( (Don't do this at home!!)

baldybloke
20-08-2012, 13:14
Nice to know what different people think of as a 'bodge', I too have seen 'temporary repairs' that in some places have got me or others out of a dangerous situation, where in normal circunstances they would be called a 'bodge', in my trade anything that deviates from the design spec is simply not allowed, unless you can get an approved modification.

Funky Farmer
20-08-2012, 16:29
Bigpete Wrote

"Still recon a nail makes a great fuse replacement!!!!!!!!!!!"

Foil from a fag packet, wrapped around a blown fuse is much better :D

n brown
20-08-2012, 19:22
at a french house found the main fuse was a bit of 1 inch steel conduit,enough amps for most things i reckon.there was even a spare in the cupboard !

Mastodon
20-08-2012, 20:05
Not exactly a bodge, but self fusing tape is great for stopping cooking oil(etc) bottles leaking.

rhubarb
21-08-2012, 19:23
Must remember not to buy a motorhome/campervan off of anyone on here!:scared::lol-053:

dave docwra
21-08-2012, 20:02
My favourite bodge I heard off was on a Cape Town Taxi, it was stopped by the police who were puzzled by why the brakes were smoking, on investigation it was found to have brake pads made from MDF..

Dave.

oldish hippy
21-08-2012, 20:05
Must remember not to buy a motorhome/campervan off of anyone on here!:scared::lol-053:

but a least you know it has been done by a expert and has had the opinions of members here approvall

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS