PDA

View Full Version : Day Trip to Calais

Geraldine
21-08-2012, 08:41
I am plannining a day trip next week to calais for the day.Does anyone know a nice place to have a meal?How far are the shops/town from the ferry landing? Is the beach in walking distance? where can I park the car safely( dont really want to drive much once over there). Thank you in anticipation. David

moonshadow
21-08-2012, 09:55
We went to Calais a couple of years ago with my 80 something mother and did the town on foot. Can't remember anywhere special for a meal but there are plenty of cafes etc around. There were no sizeable supermarkets in town you will need the car for that, assuming you are planning on stocking up. Hope this helps a bit. Look at google earth, that'll give you a better idea!

Geraldine
21-08-2012, 12:21
Thank you,my daughter and grand children are over from Canada and my granddaughter speaks french,she wants to tell her school friends that she has been to France when she gets back.

moonshadow
21-08-2012, 13:17
I think she'll find the french spoken in France very different to what she speaks. A bit like trying to talk to Shakespeare! (in english that is)

Geraldine
21-08-2012, 14:38
yes I think you are right regarding the spoken french,6 of us of going by ferry for 20 return seems to be good value. I have googled as you suggested but still can not work out where the shops start from! Long long time since I have been there.Still waiting for that magic person to come on line to point me in the right direction.

mark61
21-08-2012, 14:49
Went there in June.

Parked here 50.960576,1.847752 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/G7Ons)

Didn't appear to be any restrictions, but I didn't spend much time looking for them either.

Only a short walk to shops cafes etc.

moonshadow
21-08-2012, 15:08
yes I think you are right regarding the spoken french,6 of us of going by ferry for 20 return seems to be good value. I have googled as you suggested but still can not work out where the shops start from! Long long time since I have been there.Still waiting for that magic person to come on line to point me in the right direction.

To be honest i don't remember that many shops! Maybe you should drive out of town to a shoppong centre?
This is certainly new since we went:

Les 4 Boulevards Shopping Centre – The Calais Guide (http://www.calais-guide.co.uk/shopping/les-4-boulevards-shopping-centre.html)

Lee
21-08-2012, 16:29
Haven't been for a couple of years but we usually head for Auchan as the nearest hypermarket
50.944530, 1.808217 it is fairly easy to drive to as mostly dual carriageway around Calais. There is also Cite Europe which is an indoor shopping centre but you might just as well be in UK....

David & Ann
21-08-2012, 17:37
BEACH: Moment you get passed the controls, that is Customs and Passports(99 times from 100, no control) keep to your right. Branch off at the sign for Centerville.Less than a 100m is a small round about, take first right, then follow signs for the beach going through other round abots and crossings. You will then hit a little traffic at the traffic lights, turn right here and go over a bridge, You will know it when you see it. Plenty of everything youm need. Should take you 10 mins max. You will even go by a camp site for campers which you can also see from the ship when approaching Calais. Use that also as a guide line in your mind.

TOWN: Follow above instruction upto the small round about, go straight ahead and follow signs for the Centerville. When you see the Town hall building with its floral beds you know you need to park up. Look for Railroad station, the road right of the station is a massive free car park. Opposite the station are a few English bars and cafes. If you want french food they are a lot around the same area. It is also a good spot to start your sight seeing stroll. Have a nice time. Hope this helps.

Geraldine
21-08-2012, 20:18
Thank you so much everyone,with your help I now know where I am going.Will let you know how it goes, if anything else comes to mind then please post. Cheers David

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS