PDA

View Full Version : Boot sale bargains :)

herbenny
22-08-2012, 07:57
n

n brown
22-08-2012, 08:08
last week i was looking at a de walt mitre saw which retails at about 400 quid,it was in good nick and i was thinking what i was prepared to pay,i thought 150 tops .at that moment an old guy[like me !]says how much,and the seller says give us 20 quid mate.doh! moral is stake your claim quick.i still haven't quite got over it.

mariesnowgoose
22-08-2012, 08:10
Good job you ain't coming to Druridge http://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/e/ear-plugs-smile.gif :lol-053:

http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/b/bongo-playing-emoticon.gif

herbenny
22-08-2012, 08:11
last week i was looking at a de walt mitre saw which retails at about 400 quid,it was in good nick and i was thinking what i was prepared to pay,i thought 150 tops .at that moment an old guy[like me !]says how much,and the seller says give us 20 quid mate.doh! moral is stake your claim quick.i still haven't quite got over it.

Oh nooooooo gutted !! :scared:

n brown
22-08-2012, 08:26
i should be used to it.my life is an endless round of missed opportunities,how i struggle on is beyond most peoples' comprehension.only last week carrots were on offer at tesco and i didn't find out till too late,again! ah well soldier on i suppose

oldish hippy
22-08-2012, 08:34
tv wall bracket 2/50p whio want one take up to 21inch tv brand new

ellisboy
22-08-2012, 08:35
Keep yer chin up Chap!:yeahthat:

herbenny
22-08-2012, 08:54
Was thinking about doing one myself but hate it when people haggle (only because I cant do it to save me life !!) .....I am useless with money. I wind himbenny when I ask the cashier in the pound shop ....'how much is this ??' ... and then say ...'if I take two how much will that be ? :giggle::giggle:

herbenny
22-08-2012, 10:43
Oh nooooo seat covers not a bargain after all...they dont fit.... doh !!!! up for grabs if anone wants them :):)

n brown
22-08-2012, 10:47
i love haggling,a lot!i will stand there for as long as it takes to get a deal.the money i save resides snugly where it belongs,in my pocket!i'm from the flabbergast-em school of bargaining,if they want a hundred,offer them a fiver,this usually get them spluttering a bit,but the seed of doubt about the value is sown!

MORGANTHEMOON
22-08-2012, 11:18
Oh nooooo seat covers not a bargain after all...they dont fit.... doh !!!! up for grabs if anone wants them :):)

What you like herby?

maingate
22-08-2012, 11:24
Haggling is alien to us brits, generally speaking.

I got used to doing it in the Middle East and started to enjoy it. As my Arabic got better, I told them how I was so poor, had 4 wives and 10 children to feed. I looked for tears in their eyes but never saw any, so I presume they still made a good profit. :D

Funky Farmer
22-08-2012, 11:40
i love haggling,a lot!i will stand there for as long as it takes to get a deal.the money i save resides snugly where it belongs,in my pocket!i'm from the flabbergast-em school of bargaining,if they want a hundred,offer them a fiver,this usually get them spluttering a bit,but the seed of doubt about the value is sown!
I s'pose it also helps being a tight bugha! :lol-053:

Firefox
22-08-2012, 12:00
Haggling in the Middle East is at least sensible. The price starts usually at about 3-4 times the asking price. So long as you know that, it's just a game till you reduce the to about a third. Had great fun in the Tunis markets a few years back.

Haggling at UK car boot sales sometimes gets silly. I've had stalls with really good stuff priced to sell at 3, 2, 1 or 50p. Then someone comes round and offers you 10p or 5p for it and that's as high as they will go.

n brown
22-08-2012, 12:38
I s'pose it also helps being a tight bugha! :lol-053:

well that only shows how little you know me.only last night i generously gave myself the last portion of bread and butter pudding in a selfless attempt to take temptation away from my wife.she didn't actually thank me,but as an unsung benefactor i don't need thanks.

plum loco
22-08-2012, 15:15
I bought an old transistor radio for a pound,put batterys in it and it didnt work.I thought could be a loose wire,took the back off to have a look,as you do and it didn't have any insides in it.So i put anouther 20 quids worth of diesel in my Bus,went and got my quid back.

theteapackets
22-08-2012, 16:23
Was thinking about doing one myself but hate it when people haggle

I did one years ago by myself and was amazed (and actually felt a bit threatened) that people were pulling stuff out of the car while I was trying to unload it .... bit like the people who pounce on the poor member of staff in Sainsgogs wheeling the reduced trolley :eek:

MORGANTHEMOON
22-08-2012, 16:59
I did one years ago by myself and was amazed (and actually felt a bit threatened) that people were pulling stuff out of the car while I was trying to unload it .... bit like the people who pounce on the poor member of staff in Sainsgogs wheeling the reduced trolley :eek:

When this happens just shut the car up and they move on to scrag someone else, then when their gone pull your gear out slowly they loose interest. If you don't they'll nick your items.

hdeagle
22-08-2012, 20:03

Perhaps you could look for some seats to fit the covers.
Sorry only joking.
:wave:

pink
22-08-2012, 20:20
I made 100 on sunday doing one getting rid of all my old tat..don`t remember what i sold though, still ended up coming home with a van full...

Bewicklass
22-08-2012, 20:44
I bought an oil painting I liked the look of in a junk shop near me for 40p. It was a mountain/river scene in Wales and both my parents are from Wales and it just kind of jumped out at me.

Once I got it home I found an envelop stuck to the back with a bit of info about the artist. I mentioned him to my brother and asked if he had heard of him (my brother is an artist too), he hadn't but disappeared to do a little research on the internet. He reappeared a mere 5 minutes later with the sort of face that is impossible to read. He then sat down and started to say (in the dead pan face) that he had found him on the internet and told me this guys paintings (by now cannot stop the chuckling) sold for anyway between 200 and 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Huh' was my first reaction. Then 'Oh my god, wow, this sort of thing has never happened to me before'.

My brother's reaction (him being an artist and all) was 'I've waited all my life to find the one that's worth a lot of money' :cry:

My mother's reaction was 'But would you sell it if you love it so much?'

My bother got in first 'Hell yes, she'd sell it'

So, I still have the painting, however it is with my parents down in Kent - they are taking it round auctioneers and galleries to ask them how much I'm likely to get for it.

And yes, too right I would sell it - it is a lovely painting and I would love to have it on my wall - but the cash would definitely come in handy. I may keep it for a while though - that is if I ever see it again! :lol-061:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS